• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hard Pass on Riviera Resort

View attachment 460101

I, for one, thank the person at Disney who looked at the interior of the Negresco and had the good sense to say, "Yeah, maybe we pump the brakes, and not go in whole hog in designing the resort to look like the worst design inclinations of my Italian grandmother threw up all over the walls."

And here I thought the purple headboard in the Riviera looked a bit garish.
Lol, not saying it's got to look like this, but I will say this hotel and its rooms does have personality. Something that I think is lacking at Riveria. After looking at this hotel, I would not think it was the inspiration for Riveria.

Beach Club and Boardwalk are located right next to the Dolphin and Swan, a very large moderate. Personally I would rather look at Caribbean Beach than the large in your face buildings of the Dolphin and Swan.

Personally I consider being next to Caribbean Beach to be an advantage. It gives you access to an additional quick serve and sit down dinner option, plus you could pool hop over there easily. The wife and I consider Sebastian’s to be one of the best restaurants on property and a nice hidden secret of Caribbean beach.
I see it as thousands of people staying at a moderate resort a short walk from hanging out at a much smaller deluxe resort.

Swan and Dolphin is most definitely a moderate. I can book it right now in June for $220-$250 a night. Actually the last time we went to Disney we stayed cash at a moderate resort and I was trying to convince the wife to stay at the Swan and Dolphin to save some money over the moderate resort, but she didn’t like the bland look of the resort and also that it was a conference resort.
Nope. It’s a deluxe resort 🤷🏼‍♀️
Good lord. That’s a low bar for deluxe. And incredibly ugly buildings to boot. Disney probably deeply regrets that deal.

Lol, not saying it's got to look like this, but I will say this hotel and its rooms does have personality. Something that I think is lacking at Riveria. After looking at this hotel, I would not think it was the inspiration for Riveria.

An inspiration is not the same as replication. The front facade plays with homage to the Negresco with similar mansard roofs and tower design. The rear is a bit different though and looks a bit more like the Hotel Royal Riviera with a similar courtyard and layout to Barrière Le Majestic. I like that there are influences from riviera hotels.The internals are Disney's own thing.

If you've been in to the Del, its not light and airy like the GF: it is dimly lit and dark wood. Inspiration on the facade but Disney did their own thing internally.

Last edited:

At the end of the day, I suspect Riviera will be the perfect resort for some people, but certainly not for everyone (just like every other Disney resort). I’m hoping it lives up to the Epcot area luxury resort it is billed as because that’s what I’m looking for. Headed there in just over a week, so I will soon find out!

We rode the Skyliner last week. Only rode the Epcot /Beach Club loop. From the air, the grounds look very small for the size of Riviera. It also appears to be “land locked” in that your only walking destination is Caribbean Beach. Really disliked the RR location.

No Disney resort is a luxury resort.
Especially not DVC.

We will see! Spent last NYE at the Peninsula in Chicago, so will be interesting to see how Riviera compares. Although, admittedly, I stay in “luxury” hotels all over the world for work and nothing yet has compared to the Peninsula. I’m hoping it’s on par with a particular Intercontinental I’ve stayed at. Regardless, I’ll be sure to report back.

We rode the Skyliner last week. Only rode the Epcot /Beach Club loop. From the air, the grounds look very small for the size of Riviera. It also appears to be “land locked” in that your only walking destination is Caribbean Beach. Really disliked the RR location.

That's because they removed a section of Caribbean Beach to build it. It is what it is. Some will love it, others won't. I happen to like the idea of walking over to CBR, but not enough to spend double the points to book there and give up everything that comes with staying at BCV. :)

When I first stayed on property many years ago I stayed at Caribbean Beach. It was THEMED. As soon as you entered the property you felt like you were in the Caribbean. There was no doubt it was a Caribbean vibe. They did this all with no Sebastian and no Flounder.

I think that when they first started to do the new low-key theme remodels like in BC and YC, guest reactions were like "It doesn't feel Disney enough". When they meant was the Disney feel is the feel of having a very overt and cohesive theme, it's the Disney Magical feel that was missing from the renovated rooms. But Disney took this feedback too literally and thought they meant it had to have a Mickey shower curtain. This is what led to the type of theming that believes if you put up an 8 x 10 picture of the 3 Caballeros you have now Disney-fied an otherwise sterile room in a supposedly Mexican themed resort.

You're ignoring the reality that not everyone wants the same things from their Disney resort decor. You attribute it to Disney misidentifying guest desires when, in fact, there are many people who want to be surrounded by character imagery...and not just when they are staying at the All Stars.

Different strokes...

That's because they removed a section of Caribbean Beach to build it. It is what it is. Some will love it, others won't. I happen to like the idea of walking over to CBR, but not enough to spend double the points to book there and give up everything that comes with staying at BCV. :)

The points per night bother me too. I have a reservation for 6 nights in April, 160 for a preferred studio. Could have got BWV boardwalk view for 111. I want to try it out, but likely a one and done because of points required.

No time to compare at the moment but is it really Double the points??

The points per night bother me too. I have a reservation for 6 nights in April, 160 for a preferred studio. Could have got BWV boardwalk view for 111. I want to try it out, but likely a one and done because of points required.

You bring up a good point as to why owning at RIV will be important to attempt to book SV as then the difference is more comparable.

It's around 40-110% more depending on the room size and view. But yes, many options are double.

SV rooms are not double the points compared to others. I have not found that at all, even with preferred. RIV is turning out to be comparable to BLT LV for my trips.

Granted, not comparing to SV at BWV, but just saying you can stay at a RIV without breaking the bank. For example. A SV studio at RIV in 2021 will be 104 a week in Sept. BWV pool view will be 102.

SV rooms are not double the points compared to others. I have not found that at all, even with preferred. RIV is turning out to be comparable to BLT LV for my trips.

Granted, not comparing to SV at BWV, but just saying you can stay at a RIV without breaking the bank. For example. A SV studio at RIV in 2021 will be 104 a week in Sept. BWV pool view will be 102.
Big difference in views there. Theme park View at BLT to Preferred View at RIV. I personally would take TPV over PV seven days a week. Love the views at BLT, not a big fan of the resort itself.

Big difference in views there. Theme park View at BLT to Preferred View at RIV. I personally would take TPV over PV seven days a week. Love the views at BLT, not a big fan of the resort itself.

Yes, I realize that. My post was to just indicate that things are not double and that there are times of the year, depending on what one can reserve, that you can stay at RIV for a comparable amount of points.

What you are discussing has To do with one deciding what they want for the points and of course, that is preference. Some people love AKV and I dont. Even when I was able to reserve a value room for 3 of my 5 nights in March, I ended up switching a few days later because I just knew I’d hate being there.

Except thats not related you need to compare Std to Std. Both categories are a minority of rooms. Then compare p to p.

129 vs 104

I know you and Rivshore love the resort but you need to compare apples to apples.

Lets also look at January and it's BWV 78/107 vs RIV 116/143

The exterior of the Riviera resort is just horrendous, way too much concrete with a poor attempt to dress it up with stonework on first level, awnings, etc They obviously spent some money on the interior, why go so cheap looking on the exterior? Certainly not deluxe looking which is disappointing since they had a completely blank slate to work with unlike BLT.
SItting at the pool and gazing upon the yacht and beach BWV, WLV, GFV, AKL is a pleasure and transports you , the Riviera night evokes nothing of the sort , sterile and bland like a Marriott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter