• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone been to Washington dc

I would have to fly I don't drive even if I did the cost of hotels and gas from FL to DC would probably be just as much if not more then flying

And I was not sure if the tours have stopped post 9/11 or not stupid I know

Tours haven't stopped, unless the government has a shutdown

One thing has changed is you can't take back packs (I don't carry so perhaps another poster can chime in) for some of the places

I took my sister, her kids and my DD there 4 years ago. It was one of my sister's bucket list trips. I rented a scooter for her and we had a blast. We stayed in Silver Spring and took the metro into town each day and when we toured the Holocaust Museum, I used one of its push wheelchairs for her since it was crowded. She passed away 3 weeks later, just before her 39th birthday. It is a wonderful memory that we will have of her, and Washington, forever.

I am so sorry for your loss

Went to see the Cherry Blossums this year. Did the usual things. Lots of fun. Lots of school groups. Made the walk from Arlington Cemetery down across the bridge past the Lincoln Memorial up around the White House to the Mall area. Just something I wanted to do.

Not stupid at all! A few tours require advance notice and (I expect) security checks now, but even if you don't do any of those, there is plenty of great stuff! We loved the Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo (all free) and we also did a Monuments by Night tour that was paid, but great!

I think I just borrowed a guidebook from the library for initial research.

I would have to fly I don't drive even if I did the cost of hotels and gas from FL to DC would probably be just as much if not more then flying

My sister and BIL and I did a road trip from Florida to DC in 2015, but we have relatives in Virginia we like to visit when we can.

We stayed near Georgetown and either walked or used public transport to get around. We didn’t drive in the city itself. We really enjoyed the Mall and the Smithsonian Museums. We probably could have spent another week there because there were things we didn’t see.

My sister and BIL and I did a road trip from Florida to DC in 2015, but we have relatives in Virginia we like to visit when we can.

We stayed near Georgetown and either walked or used public transport to get around. We didn’t drive in the city itself. We really enjoyed the Mall and the Smithsonian Museums. We probably could have spent another week there because there were things we didn’t see.
I have taken the auto train from Florida to DC.

So I asked my mom about going to DC for my 40th birthday and she said yes so she will be retired then and I am just a volunteer so the question we both have what is your favorite time of year to go

So I asked my mom about going to DC for my 40th birthday and she said yes so she will be retired then and I am just a volunteer so the question we both have what is your favorite time of year to go
Summer can be Florida hot. But you, like me are used to that. Even so I like the spring.

Spring or Fall if you aren't going for a specific event. If you can make it work Cherry Blossom time is great.

I think early fall is the best. It will still be hot, but not too terrible if you're used to Florida. More importantly, it's less crowded than spring and summer, when the town is overrun with school groups and vacationers. I've been down town in May when I swear every 8th grader in the entire country is in one of the Smithsonians.

I've been there twice and would go back again. My kids all have/will go with their 8th grade class.

My uncle lives in the DC area and works at the Pentagon :)

I've been there twice and would go back again. My kids all have/will go with their 8th grade class.

My uncle lives in the DC area and works at the Pentagon :)

Sorry I am going of topic in my own thread and you dont have to answer if it's to personal but was he working there 9/11 when the attacks happened

I am thinking winter is a bad idea I would be in so many layers I could not walk
Done a couple trips in February over quick Presidents Day weekend getaway It was either very cold or in the low 50s. Would not recommend it if coming any distance ( we live about 100 miles north and a 3 hour drive away)

So I think before 9/11 it was easier to get into the White House and Capital tours, maybe? I'm not 100% sure. But besides that, it's basically the same, just with bag checks. Can still go to monuments, the Smithsonian, etc.

I've been there 4 times since 9/11. Once before 9/11.

Sorry I am going of topic in my own thread and you dont have to answer if it's to personal but was he working there 9/11 when the attacks happened

No, he was in the Navy (recently retired, and continues to work at the Pentagon even now as a civilian) and was actually in Saudi Arabia on 9/11

I would suggest early fall for a trip to DC. It will still be warm but the crowds will be lower as schools are back in session- and it's too early in the semester for field trips! Cherry blossom time is beautiful but the crowds are high.

To get into a White House tour, you need to contact your state representative or senator, about 6 months in advance. They are the only ones that can arrange the tour. For the Capitol Building, you can take the public tour or arrange a private tour through your senator/representative. I like the private tours better; they are usually conducted by an intern from your representative's/senator's office, and they are full of interesting information and anecdotes.

If you are flying into DC, fly into Reagan/National airport, NOT Dulles. It's difficult to get into the city from Dulles. Another option is to fly into Baltimore and take the train to DC. There is a shuttle from the airport to the train station, both Amtrac and MARC (cheaper, area commuter rail) run from the same station at BWI into Union Station in DC. Definitely use the subway while you are in DC; it's very easy to follow.

I highly recommend taking the Monuments by Night open bus tour on your first night. Look it up online.. definitely worth the money! Gotta go teach, but I'll write more later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter