Has anyone been to Washington dc

So I asked my mom about going to DC for my 40th birthday and she said yes so she will be retired then and I am just a volunteer so the question we both have what is your favorite time of year to go
I stopped asking my mom for permission on what I do when I turned 18.

Hahahaha!!! I kid, I kid :D

We've been a few times and there is still so much I haven't seen. Faves are the Air & Space museum, the Newseum (closes in December but I'd check it out), Ford's Theater, memorials galore, Holocaust museum, Arlington. Old Town Alexandra has some cool stuff too if you venture there. The capitol tour is meh but probably something you should see once. I'd imagine the same goes for the White House, but I prefer just taking pictures from outside.

I have an eclectic list for next time I'm there including the Museum of African American History, Roosevelt Island, DAR museum, Union Station, Georgetown. Likely I won't get to everything as I will get hung up doing something I've done a thousand times already. But that's ok.

There's a lot to see and do there, as most museums are free. Look at the Smithsonian's website and identify which museums you'd want to visit. Plan to spend the bulk of the day there. Arrive early as they can get very busy.

Traveling around the area can be congested, but is maneuverable by metro easier than a car. DH had a commute that would take up to 4 hours each way if he left 10 minutes later than usual!

Have been to DC many times, and yes it’s worth it! As has been said, there’s plenty to see and do. I feel like all Americans should visit at least once in their life.

It’s hot in the summer, but some of the Smithsonian museums have extended hours (open until 7:30 I believe) and the crowds thin out a lot after around 4-4:30. On certain days, there are also free parades/concerts by some of the military bands and drill teams in the evening.

This topic comes up frequently on disboards. If you search, you’ll find lots more advice and recommendations.

I would suggest early fall for a trip to DC. It will still be warm but the crowds will be lower as schools are back in session- and it's too early in the semester for field trips! Cherry blossom time is beautiful but the crowds are high.

To get into a White House tour, you need to contact your state representative or senator, about 6 months in advance. They are the only ones that can arrange the tour. For the Capitol Building, you can take the public tour or arrange a private tour through your senator/representative. I like the private tours better; they are usually conducted by an intern from your representative's/senator's office, and they are full of interesting information and anecdotes.

If you are flying into DC, fly into Reagan/National airport, NOT Dulles. It's difficult to get into the city from Dulles. Another option is to fly into Baltimore and take the train to DC. There is a shuttle from the airport to the train station, both Amtrac and MARC (cheaper, area commuter rail) run from the same station at BWI into Union Station in DC. Definitely use the subway while you are in DC; it's very easy to follow.

I highly recommend taking the Monuments by Night open bus tour on your first night. Look it up online.. definitely worth the money! Gotta go teach, but I'll write more later.
Leebee has great information. I would chose fall over spring. Cherry Blossom can be overwhelmingly crowded. I have been several times and am unimpressed. I always thought the blossoms would be pink, but they are white.

BWI probably has more flights than National. DS works in DC and flies a lot for work. He almost exclusively uses BWI.

Don't expect to see it all in one trip. I am retired now and grew up in Baltimore. (We went to the Smithsonian every year for a field trip.) There are still things I haven't seen. My first White House tour wasn't until 2011.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter