Has anyone disembarked the Magic since drydock?

I’m not sure I buy into that as all the other major cruise lines send ships as old as the Magic over to Europe. Just a quick peek at Royal tells me that Rhapsody and Enchantment crossed the Atlantic this year, and they’re both older than the Magic.
Agree. A ships age has nothing to do with how sea worthy she is. This one finally retired in 2020.

MV Astoria is a ship that was constructed as the transatlantic ocean liner Stockholm for Swedish American Line, and rebuilt as a cruise ship in 1993. Ordered in 1944, and commenced service in 1948, at 73 years old, she is the oldest passenger liner still sailing in deep water routes

Thanks for this thread, am following as the Facebook recent reviews on Disney Magic since drydock have been rough to read. Have seen multiple reviews with wet carpet and broken air conditioning.

We're sailing Disney Magic in January and March 2024.

Thanks for this thread, am following as the Facebook recent reviews on Disney Magic since drydock have been rough to read. Have seen multiple reviews with wet carpet and broken air conditioning.

Yes I understand some on FB have been pretty rough from our sailing. What I would say is when we were getting off on 5/13 - we noticed a number of red/orange dots on a variety of things - almost looked like a punch list when you do a house walk-through. We ended up having second breakfast on disembarkation day and before we got off the ship we already saw teams of workers getting on and supplies to "fix" things getting on the ship. I do believe that well before you get on the ship things will be ironed out. They are aware of the issues and want to correct them. It's just unfortunate that many people had to have a less than stellar Disney experience on our sailing. I did actually talk to cruisers who had their porthole window painted over during dry dock and other set of cruisers who never had AC working the entire cruise - with someone at DCL trying to tell them that 81 degrees F in their room meant that the AC was working!!!

I personally also had the housekeeping manager tell me that it's "no big deal" that my stateroom lights went out 3 times in one day as this happens all the time. When I relayed that message both on board to the Guest Services Management team and to the management team shoreside, they all asked for his name and confirmed that he was not telling me the truth.

So, I would say it wasn't the smoothest of sailings we had, but we had a blast, we played a lot of KnowsMore Trivia very poorly, we enjoyed the Gold/Platinum/Pearl reception, taking pictures, watching jack-jack's diaper dash game, had an enjoyable time at ports of calls, helping new introverted friends become more outgoing and just being on the ship and away from my inbox for that length of time.

For those sailing in the future (we are back on Magic 4 weeks from today) - I hope they continue to correct the things that need correcting so that we all can enjoy a more typical DCL cruise experience. I think they will get there but it will take some time.

We were on the May 5th sailing and I'm still waiting for DCL to contract me regarding our concerns.

There were several things wrong with the ship and were highlighted very well in a previous post so I'll add on our main issues.

The ship was so hot (I'm mentioning this one again because it really was bad). One night we were standing in line to get into AP for dinner and I felt sick it was so hot. It took me awhile to feel better once inside the cooler restaurant. The only place we found that was consistently cool was Cove Cafe. I had to sleep on top of the covers for the first 3 nights because our cabin was so hot. They replaced the verandah door during dry dock so unless someone inside the cabin locked the door it made a very loud noise as it leaked warm air into the cabin. We learned not to use the verandah unless one of us stayed in to lock the door or we'd be hot the rest of the night in the cabin. We sacrificed and saved for this dream cruise and the verandah was a splurge and it was a total waste of money. I think this is the thing I'm most upset about.

We had to keep the bathroom doors closed at all times or our whole cabin smelled like sewage. I sprayed the bathroom with B&BW spray before I even went in there so I could tolerate using it. Yes, it was that bad. Even my husband who has the worst sense of smell commented the first day that the bathroom stunk.

Walking down the hallway to our cabin a strong mold odor always lingered. I know a stateroom hostess sprinkled carpet fresh when one of our neighbors commented on it. It helped for a few hours but it was back after that.

Before we figured out that being on the verandah was the source of our room being so freaking hot we were out there trying to enjoy the view with the annoying sound the leaking air made when I turned around to go back in the cabin and saw my door propped open. My purse was on the bed and my jewelry was out on the small chest of drawers. Then a man popped out of my bathroom (scaring the you know what out of me) and said he was fixing the lights while 2 other men came in. They could clearly see (AND HEAR) we were on the verandah. I wish they would have knocked on the glass to give us warning. They told us our verandah was going to be pressure washed but didn't tell us they'd be entering our cabin? We are almost platinum and I know how DCL normally does things and this is so not the norm.

There were workmen all over the ship and you could tell many weren't DCL because they'd be so annoyed when they had to move out of the way when we were walking the hallway to our cabin.

We went to guest services and they were being bombed with complaints. We could tell they weren't being friendly so we decided to wait until we got home to address our issues.

There are people saying the ship was fine and it wasn't hot and I don't know if they won't admit that DCL has issues sometimes and it isn't always magical? Is it that they have the money to cruise all the time to that things like being really uncomfortable in common areas of the ship due to the heat isn't a big deal to them, it will be better on their next cruise? I know people deal with heat better than others and maybe it wasn't a big deal to have construction going on everywhere and maybe their cabin wasn't leaking, stinking or damaged in any way but to say we are exaggerating or lying about our experience on the Magic upsets me. The ship was not ready to sail on May 5th and I stand by that comment.

Our dining team was excellent and we will request them in the future. The food was good. The shows were having technical issues so we didn't try to go after hearing from our pub friends how bad it was. We loved all the ports of call. We enjoyed all the gameshows with Tisa (as usual). This was by far our least magical cruise but we didn't let it ruin our vacation and tried always looking at the positives. I told my husband I didn't gain my usual 4 pounds and it was probably from sweating all the time :).

Very rough to read for sure! Between the FB posts about the disastrous post dry dock Magic sailings, and the thread about Covid and other illness onboard cruise ships in general, I am having bad dreams about our upcoming cruise! My husband said I need to just stop reading all of it. I think he is right!

Sorry to hear that TN-mom5. I know we save like crazy too and one of my favorite things to do is to sit on the balcony so would be upset as well if couldn't utilize as a family. Being hot while sleeping on vacation is not fun at all. Our only similar experience was on a RCL cruise where they had accidentally left the balcony door open after cleaning the room. By the time we got in it was summer Galveston Texas temperature in the room and it didn't cool off as the A/C couldn't catch up until night 2.

And it's crazy they came to work on your room unannounced. I read of a similar occurrence on one of the Facebook reviews and in their case, they removed the shower handle and didn't replace it with anything. Once they mentioned it they were offered the ability to shower in a different cabin.

We rented a beach cabin last year and the restroom smelled of sewage but fortunately it was far enough away from the rooms we hung out in it didn't permeate the whole cabin / house. I can't imagine for staying on a cruise given how everything is so connected / close.

I wish they could clone her so that every cruiser on every DCL ship had a chance to experience cruising with Tisa!
We were on the Magic in December and Tisa was the highlight of our trip. First ever cruise. Only issue is I think she may have ruined it for the next cruise. I can not imagine liking anyone as much as we liked her!

This has me a bit anxious. My family and I will be on the Magic's June 5th sailing. Fingers crossed these issues improve. My wife and I can't deal with no A/C, we sleep hot lol

And it's crazy they came to work on your room unannounced. I read of a similar occurrence on one of the Facebook reviews and in their case, they removed the shower handle and didn't replace it with anything. Once they mentioned it they were offered the ability to shower in a different cabin.
Wow, that sounds incredibly awkward . . .

@TN_mom5 ’s experience was not like ours. Which shows the inconsistency, possibly pockets of problem locations. There were definitely issues which affected cruisers - significantly.

We were Deck 2 Forward, having been reassigned from a reportedly routinely noisy cabin on a Deck 2 Aft. We might have found our sweet spot for cabins. It seemed a surprise to our steward that our cabin did not have keys or CC gifts. (We were notified of the change the one full day before boarding).

I had a dreaded crew door across the hall, which did not keep being slammed and was often propped open (you could feel heat from that area). That ship gets hot in its guts. (I wonder if it was having aircon problems, too?)

Our thermostat was set on the lowest setting - and never again touched (I would adjust it last April on a Magic cruise to the Bahamas). I needed more than the comforter to stay warm enough while sleeping. (But imagine my sister was on the warm side). I made sure we closed the curtains during the day to block out heat. (A tip to future cruisers). This was an oceanview.

As for mold and smells, I wonder how much the flooding on Deck 8 is a cause - and wasn’t properly cleaned before laying new carpeting?

We had to figure out a plan for getting our food more quickly at dinner. We were first seating, two adults, who weren’t prepared for a long meal. The tables around us had children and got adult drinks. If we could get to our table and place our order, we were able to eat and be done. Otherwise, it was a long wait. And we are not prepared to do late dining. We had the most attentive Head Server I can remember in 20 cruises. I think our assistant server was overwhelmed. Our server was up to par.

As a Coke drinker, I was surprised (shocked, perhaps) to see the Pool Deck machines taped off. But they left Cabanas open for soda machine access. I don’t know if it was all night. But I did not have to go without. They ran out of English muffins in Cabanas by the end of the cruise - but seemed to serve them on disembarkation morning in the MDR. I guess they miscalculated the amount of Benedicts that we would eaten.

At least they had Mickey waffles and toppings all week. And CHURRO Mickey waffles one morning. My first ones. Yum! They put them by some Mexican breakfast items - NOT where the waffles usually are.

I never used the pools, it saw a few kids getting to have private time under the Funnel Vision movie one night (Private because no one else joined them.) With attentive lifeguards. I was tempted to join them.

My long-term memory of issues (for us):

It started at the port. When you reached the front of the line outside, they let you in to a cool, massive - and EMPTY area set up with queues. There were workers waiting for guests to get checked in. This was over an hour since the first PAT time. It made no sense.

My sister was loading the washer. For whatever reason, a worker stepped in to help her (she doesn’t need help). She had swiped her card - and he swiped it again, removing two of her washer credits. She went to guest services to have it credited back to the proper # of credits used. GS worker did not credit a washer - she credited dryerS (they are specific credits). The machine in the laundry room has an option to credit you, but it wouldn’t work. In the end, all credits were used, but each interaction was frustrating.

No keys at the room when all around had theirs. No CC gifts. No problem. But GS services said there were no more gifts, then they would arrive in a few hours, then by 9 pm. Then I stepped in - they were promised by the following day - and they did. (I am not a hard-noser). But why say you don’t have enough? You know it’s a full ship, with X number of CC members. (I think it was the same GS worker in all situations).

And then alcohol pick-up at the end of the cruise. Left my sister in line. Forty minutes later, breakfast had been served and she was still waiting for them to find people’s items. They did not follow a system that should have been established years ago. Reports are some people’s items were never found. There’s a mess.

I’ll probably forget the excellent Palo server and experience (it is up to pre-Covid food and service quality). I was able to get ice cream and drinks, pizza and a funnel vision late-night movie (with beautiful weather). Fun fireworks on Pirate Night. Movies in a theater. Adult Trivia in O’Gill’s. (I may not know music from the 2000>, but it was great seeing the enthusiastic turnout of younger people to enjoy music of their lifetime). On an 8-night cruise, they managed to offer a variety of categories, with no repeated question sets, several times each day by many of the entertainment staff - and only One Disney-focused session (those are tough).

I expect them to have issues after Drydock and on Maiden Voyages - not because they SHOULD, but because they DO have a history of it. Not only them, cruise lines in general. After spending a Billion dollars on a new ship, they want to get it out sailing, recouping their expense. And we cruisers jump onboard.

We, personally, got a great rate and our experience was worth it (knowing that Disney is expensive). But if I had paid Verandah prices with the issues those in some of the most expensive rooms encountered, I would have been very sad. Well, no A/C at any price would have turned me off for a long time.

We are booked on the WBPC sailing in October. Our FPDD is June 7. I really hope these issues get resolved. Besides the cost, it's been crazy difficult to save up enough vacation hours to be able to take a 15 night vacation (when factoring in flying the day before we sail.) I'd be more than a little bit cranky to burn up that much time off and money only to spend it in an 81 degree cabin for 2 weeks. :mad::furious:

We LOVE the Magic but hot stuffy rooms that smell like mold (one of my allergens) is making me rethink this.
The only reason I'm not rushing to cancel/reschedule our cruise right is that our cruise is still 5 months away. I can't see them sailing through a hot summer with broken AC. I am hopeful that by October, I'll be able to experience the Magic as we have come to expect. I'll need to read more on this as June 7 gets closer.

We are booked on the WBPC sailing in October. Our FPDD is June 7. I really hope these issues get resolved. Besides the cost, it's been crazy difficult to save up enough vacation hours to be able to take a 15 night vacation (when factoring in flying the day before we sail.) I'd be more than a little bit cranky to burn up that much time off and money only to spend it in an 81 degree cabin for 2 weeks. :mad::furious:

We LOVE the Magic but hot stuffy rooms that smell like mold (one of my allergens) is making me rethink this.
The only reason I'm not rushing to cancel/reschedule our cruise right is that our cruise is still 5 months away. I can't see them sailing through a hot summer with broken AC. I am hopeful that by October, I'll be able to experience the Magic as we have come to expect. I'll need to read more on this as June 7 gets closer.
I'm on the same sailing and thinking the same way. In a couple of months I feel this will all be ironed out and therefore nothing to worry about.

We sailed 5/13-5/20, first time on the Magic and our 9th DCL trip. We’ve now been on all 5 shops.

This boat was so hot! I usually love to spend some time browsing in the shops after dinner but I couldn’t take it too long the two times we went in. I was sweating just standing around. Lots of carpet looked replaced but it would be right next to super faded and stringy carpet. It looked horrible really. Our dinners were just okay. Not the kind of server team we’ve gotten lucky with on the Fantasy. Overall I was just really bummed and glad this one is checked off so I don’t have to sail on it again.

The room two doors down from us flooded and the guests had to change staterooms. Luckily we found them later since they were in our FE group. There were large industrial fans in the hall for a few days trying to air out the carpet.

Our veranda also had some pretty big paint chips missing but luckily they didn’t try to come in and repair while we were on board 🤣

We sailed 5/13-5/20, first time on the Magic and our 9th DCL trip. We’ve now been on all 5 shops.

This boat was so hot! I usually love to spend some time browsing in the shops after dinner but I couldn’t take it too long the two times we went in. I was sweating just standing around. Lots of carpet looked replaced but it would be right next to super faded and stringy carpet. It looked horrible really. Our dinners were just okay. Not the kind of server team we’ve gotten lucky with on the Fantasy. Overall I was just really bummed and glad this one is checked off so I don’t have to sail on it again.

The room two doors down from us flooded and the guests had to change staterooms. Luckily we found them later since they were in our FE group. There were large industrial fans in the hall for a few days trying to air out the carpet.

Our veranda also had some pretty big paint chips missing but luckily they didn’t try to come in and repair while we were on board 🤣
What room were you in? Do you know why the other room flooded

We boarded the Magic on 5/13 and will be getting off tomorrow. We haven't had any issues. The only thing I noticed was an occasional pocket of hot air in certain stairwells. I guess we've been lucky. Didn't experience anything like what others are reporting.

We boarded the Magic on 5/13 and will be getting off tomorrow. We haven't had any issues. The only thing I noticed was an occasional pocket of hot air in certain stairwells. I guess we've been lucky. Didn't experience anything like what others are reporting.
That’s great, maybe they have managed to fix the issues then!

We just got off the Magic in Miami yesterday. I, too, was worried about the reports I had been reading, but am happy to say we did not experience most of the issues that have been cited by recent guests. We were on Deck 6 - Aft and had no A/C or water leakage/draining issues. The A/C was fine for us in all restaurants and the Walt Disney Theater. We did notice that one of the aft elevators was not working at all for the entire cruise. I also have a mold allergy and did not have any problems, nor smell anything that indicated mold or mildew. It seems to me that the flooding and mold issues seem to be on deck 8? We did notice painting going on during the sea day on deck 10. We did not see any other maintenance occurring. We had a wonderful team of servers in the restaurants (Geffrey, Fedrick and Allwyn). Fedrick told us he had previously spent 8 years on the Dream. We found that the nights we ordered his suggested items, we enjoyed them more. One night DH and I picked something different than the recommended entrees and both felt as though we chose badly. Our stateroom host (Irish) was wonderful. She was able to get 2 full-size loungers for our verandah (we were in 6652 which was large, but not super large), Everything fit, but we sometimes had to shift the various chairs around. We ordered room service several times and they were prompt and accurate.

The only negative we experienced was embarkation - we had an 11:00-11:15 PAT, arrived early at about 10:45 and waited outside in the heat until approximately 11:30 when they began allowing concierge guests to enter the building. I believe we entered the building at about 11:45. According to Disney, the delay was due to a Coast Guard inspection and they were unable to let anyone inside the building to begin check-in and boarding. Once embarkation began, it moved quickly. The Pirate night party was held in the atrium due to lightning and the fireworks happened the next night instead.

Hopefully our positive experiences help ease some folks' minds. I don't doubt the experiences posted by other cruisers at all - I just wanted to point out that a lot of the problems seem to be random and not experienced by everyone. I would cruise on the Magic again in a heartbeat.

We just got off the Magic in Miami yesterday. I, too, was worried about the reports I had been reading, but am happy to say we did not experience most of the issues that have been cited by recent guests. We were on Deck 6 - Aft and had no A/C or water leakage/draining issues. The A/C was fine for us in all restaurants and the Walt Disney Theater. We did notice that one of the aft elevators was not working at all for the entire cruise. I also have a mold allergy and did not have any problems, nor smell anything that indicated mold or mildew. It seems to me that the flooding and mold issues seem to be on deck 8? We did notice painting going on during the sea day on deck 10. We did not see any other maintenance occurring. We had a wonderful team of servers in the restaurants (Geffrey, Fedrick and Allwyn). Fedrick told us he had previously spent 8 years on the Dream. We found that the nights we ordered his suggested items, we enjoyed them more. One night DH and I picked something different than the recommended entrees and both felt as though we chose badly. Our stateroom host (Irish) was wonderful. She was able to get 2 full-size loungers for our verandah (we were in 6652 which was large, but not super large), Everything fit, but we sometimes had to shift the various chairs around. We ordered room service several times and they were prompt and accurate.

The only negative we experienced was embarkation - we had an 11:00-11:15 PAT, arrived early at about 10:45 and waited outside in the heat until approximately 11:30 when they began allowing concierge guests to enter the building. I believe we entered the building at about 11:45. According to Disney, the delay was due to a Coast Guard inspection and they were unable to let anyone inside the building to begin check-in and boarding. Once embarkation began, it moved quickly. The Pirate night party was held in the atrium due to lightning and the fireworks happened the next night instead.

Hopefully our positive experiences help ease some folks' minds. I don't doubt the experiences posted by other cruisers at all - I just wanted to point out that a lot of the problems seem to be random and not experienced by everyone. I would cruise on the Magic again in a heartbeat.

Did you happen to notice any issues on the pool deck? I've read the AquaLab splash pad area can be hit or miss with what's working? Hoping that won't be the case as that would be a great area for my DW and I to take our toddler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter