Has your opinion of SSR changed?

SaratogaShan

DIS Veteran
I tried this thread WAY back when SSR was in its infancy, but alas...the thread went WAY off topic :)

I would like to try again......

Has your opinion of SSR changed now that you have actually stayed there?
For better or for worse? Why? What were you expecting versus what you actually experienced?

Thanks!

We toured SSR in Feb, long before we bought. It took me over 7 months to do my research, develop my spreadsheets, and talk to others on the DIS boards (yes, I'm a nerd). But, we bought in late September and have been thrilled. We've gone twice and truly think of SSR as our second home. I love the style, laid back atmosphere, people, furniture, and location of SSR. It is great. I was concerned during my research because it sounded like SSR was less desirable, but have since realized that that is alright by me. It just means more availability when we want it.

I have not stayed anywhere else...yet. But, I plan on it and will have a better idea over time if SSR compares with other DVC's. Long story short, I am 30 and my wife 26 so it was very important to have the extra 12 years at SSR. My daughter also loves the pool.

So, we give it a big :thumbsup2

I tried this thread WAY back when SSR was in its infancy, but alas...the thread went WAY off topic :)

I would like to try again......

For better or for worse? Why? What were you expecting versus what you actually experienced?

Thanks!

Yes and no. I bought sight unseen. And DVC was a ten year dream. So I was so excited for reality didn't give a lot of thought to SSR in general. Had no expectations because I was so estatic in general.

So fast forward and we've stayed at four other DVC resorts (fifth in May) and SSR multiple times and I have to say there are some that I like better.

However, I like staying at SSR. And honestly, for us, it really depends what kind of vacation we are looking for each time at WDW. That's the great thing about DVC. Constant variety.

Thanks!

Definitely. All for the better. We too purchased SSR sight unseen. We wanted to buy into DVC and it was the only thing selling through Disney. The F&F promotion sealed the deal for us. In researching the resort I couldn't find too many positive things written about the place so I was a bit anxious when our first trip arrived. I have to admit from the moment we drove onto the grounds I was blown away. Never have I seen such breathtaking landscaping. Everything I experienced the whole week was nothing short of perfection. I cannot understand why most people were so negative about such a lovely area. It met all of our expectations and then some. We are so happy to be owners there and are counting the days til our return. :cheer2:

Our opinion has only improved since we bought in. We purchased signt unseen and made our first trip in December of 2005. We have made a total of three trips to WDW and stayed at SSR each time. While others think it's a disadvantage to be "away from it all" we really enjoy that quality. Plus, we walk to DTD just about every night - we just enjoy that.

Our next trip in June will be just DH and I and we will be staying at BCV, BWV, and then we had to end our trip with a few days back at SSR - what can I say - we :love: it!

Since we will soon be "empty nesters" we will enjoy traveling to WDW during some of the off seasons - if there truly are off seasons - and hope to stay at all the DVC resorts. I, personally, don't have a desire to own at AKV but look forward to staying there in the future.

The beauty of DVC is that all resorts are different - just as all people and their tastes are different. Heck, we're just happy to be part of the DVC family - :welcome: Home Y'all! and Enjoy! pixiedust:

I stayed at SSR in December and LOVED it! I had been to WDW at least 3 times after SSR had been built and had no interest in even visiting the resort. BUT ... we had some extra points and a last minute change in airfare so I booked 3 nights at SSR. Of course, the put us in the primo spot ... Congress Park facing DTD. It was only 15 minutes to DTD, 8 minutes to the feature pool and 5 minutes to the quiet pool or bus stop.

I really liked the feel of the resort and I liked the central area. HOWEVER .., I think that I would feel differently if we had a parking lot view or if we were too far away from things. I heard a lot of guests complaining about being near the road, being too far away from the main pool or having a lousy view. Because of the sheer number of rooms with parking lot/road views and whole sections far, far away from the main area, I think the resort has a better chance of disappointing a guest than any of the other DVC resorts.

I guess you could say our opinion changed for the better, because after staying there we liked it even more. We have only stayed there and at BWV, though we've toured all the others onsite, and bought a small add-on at BCV. We decided SSR and BCV were our two favorites. Here are our reasons:

SSR:
The Location. I can't figure out why some people consider the location a negative? We love being just enough away from the parks to feel relaxing, yet being close enough to walk (or take the boat - love that!) to DTD in the evenings. A perfect combo in our book!

The Landscaping. It is just beautiful with its winding pathways, many water features, and we love all the little creatures running around too - birds, bunnies, geckos, turtles, tiny frogs, etc.

The Springs Pool: It has something for everyone - a fun curvy slide, zero entry, and a nice water play area. And they're building a second themed pool too.

The Spa: I know you can use the spa when you stay elsewhere, but I don't think it would be as relaxing to have to hop on a bus or whatever after a nice steam bath, massage & pedicure. We just ambled up to the pool and laid around after ours and it was heavenly!

The Dining: Artist Palette was the best counter service food we had in the World. And we thoroughly enjoyed a nice relaxing lunch at Turf Club. Then there's all the good choices over in DTD too.

We figure that no matter where else we stay on a trip, we'll always want to wind up at SSR at least for the last few days just to relax and unwind.

BCV:
I know you didn't ask about BCV, but we also decided to buy some points there because we love Epcot, and would like to go to F&W every now and then, and of course there's SAB, so we got enough that with banking and borrowing we can stay a few days there every two or three years and be able to book 11 months out for F&W should we so desire.

I thought SSR was icky when it was in early construction. We bought in feeling lukewarm about it, and thinking we'd prefer other loactions but be happy anywhere. After staying at other DVC's, I've been suprised to find that we prefer the location of SSR (I still think BWV and VWL have better themeing).

We use Disney Transportation to get everywhere, and in our experience, proximity to a specific resort has ended up meaning it's less convenient to get anywhere else - especially since we spend most of our park time at AK or MK. Epcot sort of reminds me of one of those 1980's malls that we call "Malls of Death" - it's so badly in need of a creative re-imagining to restore its potential. We tend to spend only one day there, but not more than that, so the Epcot-area resorts are actually in an inconvenient location for us.

We stayed there once and it was ok. The room was nice, clean, etc. I don't dislike SSR but I don't love it either. It just seems to be too impersonal of a resort.

What I noticed when we were there over Thanksgiving was it was quiet, even with alot of people staying. The parking lot at CP was pretty full, but I never heard a lot of that "hotel" hall noise that you get.

We like the low-key minimum themeing of the resort, location to DTD, the feel of being far away from the parks, plus the gym are what sold us.

I am sure the resort looked alot different when it was being built, and landscaping takes about 2 yrs to look its best. To judge something when it is partial finished, unless you're one of those people who can picture the finished whole(not me), is rather unfair.

Absolutely it has changed...for the better!

I knew we would be buying DVC and I was on these boards for about a year reading, researching, and asking questions before we bought. This was at the height of SSR-bashing. So I really thought that I was going to end up with a different resort via resale. But I wanted those extra 12 years.

So I finally rented at SSR for 5 nights...and I was expecting to really dislike it. After all I had read here, I went looking for things to hate about the resort. And I could not find one thing to complain about (and again, I was looking to complain).

That toally sealed the deal for us. We knew we watned DVC but I wanted to make sure that we would love our home resort. And now we have both...DVC and an amazing home resort!

As I have said many times on these boards now...I am crazy in love with SSR!

No, not a bit. But then I tend to looks more at factual issues and realities than feelings. The bottom line is it's a very nice resort and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. However it is in less demand at the 7 month window than the rest of the on property resorts which creates a mismatch and makes it harder to reserve certain other resorts at the 7 month window. BTW, the reason for the lower demand than OKW is simply the points structure.

Sort of. I went down thinking I would buy BCV because that was what I thought was for sale at the time. SSR sales started the week we went down so we bought there. I only had a picture of SSR to go by when we bought but I knew I would like it because it was Disney. I won't say I was disappointed but SSR wasn't what I had in mind when I made the appointment 2 months before I left. I was happy with DVC purchase though.

We made our 1st stay @ BWV (joined our friends for member homecoming). We visited SSR for the day and really loved what we saw. Stayed there many times now and fell in love. That said, I have stayed at all of the onsite DVCs really like all of them. I would never be disappointed at any of them. But for some reason my heart belongs to SSR.:love:

I loved it from day one when it was an ugly duckling to some, and I love it now that it is a beautiful swan. :thumbsup2

From the responses so far, it seems as if SSR has the tendency to "grow on you" :goodvibes

Yep, it sure has on us

We bought an add-on there for 163 points in order to get the RTU to 2054 and have something for the kids when they get to middle aged to work with - we thought maybe we will stay there, maybe we will not.

We then stayed there, also DH's Sister and family stayed there on our points and then DW's sister and family came with us - they all loved it and made us see it through a different light.

Lo and behold we then picked up another 137 points during the promo of free DVC AP passes for a year for an addon

We will be staying there next trip - once they add the additional water feature at the Grandstand, for us it will come close to BCV in terms of "where we want to stay factor"

Cheers
jaysue

I am here at SSV now because I booked a last minute trip a couple of weeks ago, and this was what was available. I came with low expectations but I am just loving it! I have stayed at all of the DVC resorts now (most many times), and SSV has moved to the middle spot blowing past BCV and VWL. I would not hesitate to stay here again, and am even considering switching my April trip from BWV to stay here again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter