Have TV shows become too "dark and gritty"?

Thanks to the success of shows like "Game of Thrones" and "The Walking Dead" space adventure had taken the dark gritty route as well.

I really enjoyed "The Expanse" but space adventures like "For All Mankind" and "Planetes" have caught my attention.

Both For All Mankind and Planetes deal with serious themes but there are plenty of lighthearted scenes and some of the characters are likeable.

You might recommend "The Orville" but I am no fan of rubber suited aliens and cheap tacky looking costumes.

For All Mankind is the TV show space adventure needed but we can do without the excessive soap opera.

I heard Amazon are making fantasy series based on "The Wheel of Time" and "Lord of The Rings".

Do we need more shows that are optimistic but still good?

I watch tv to be entertained, not to have the bleakness of the real world projected back to me, particularly over this past year. I prefer programs with an underlying optimism, even if I have to suspend my disbelief a bit in the process. I think you can have a dramatic, well written show and still leave the audience feeling good at the end of each episode.

My problem is that the balance seems to be off. I don't mind "dark and gritty" at times, but sometimes I just want a mindless sitcom or "dramady." Unfortunately, in the past couple of years, every time I've watched a season of a new sitcom or less-serious drama it gets cancelled, or tacks into heavy territory. I liked Abby's Place. Cancelled. Mr. Mayor... Didn't finish its 1st season and I hear it's cancelled. Call Me Kat... looks like it's getting cancelled. Baker and the Beauty... Cancelled. Zoey's Extradorinary Playlist... Drifted into the racism debate (which, while important, just isn't something I want with my sillier prime time TV). Young Sheldon... I'm never sure whether to laugh at this, or cry at some of the pitiful situations Sheldon ends up in. The list goes on.

Dark is fine sometimes, but I really want to see more funny, uplifting shows like Ted Lasso. I find myself these days digging through the dark corners of Netflix and Hulu looking for older sitcoms and dramadys that I missed just to get away from all the tear jerkers, family issues, political/social debates, medical tragedies, superhero angst, etc. that dominate so much of TV now.

This is why I loved Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis so much. Lots of action set in a sci fi realm but also some sarcasm and humor to lighten things up a bit.

I haven't liked a single regular show in ages, well up until recently (lots of new stuff is normal). For a long time it had been nonstop misery and smut for about 15 awful years of me fast forwarding through half dressed actresses who probably didn't realize all the pervs would be running things - just eww.

The Expanse books have been out for a while. The show does a great job of following them and incorporating the short stories/novellas that came out as well.

For dark and gritty, look no further than 90s TV.

I find upbeat TV mostly present during recessions.

You might recommend "The Orville" but I am no fan of rubber suited aliens and cheap tacky looking costumes.

I think that's part of the intent, though, isn't it? Wasn't it initially meant to be a take off on Star Trek?

For a long time, I had avoided it because it seemed only Trek fans talked about it. I am a fan of SFF in general, but - GASP! - Trek is not my cuppa. It ends up it's both a funny and quite thoughtful show. I'm looking to forward to its return.

I think there's likely always going to be a demand for a mix of both light and dark. There are some dark shows I've enjoyed, but I really have to be careful in my consumption. I have made it a household rule that I won't watch such programming in the hour or two before I go to bed. (This leads to my husband sometimes trying to negotiate for "just one more," but I keep firm on this.) Additionally, I tend to not be so much of a fan of dark shows that seem to lack what I call a moral compass. Within all the darkness, I want to know that there are still good people in the (albeit fictional) world. I am very familiar with the concept of "parasocial relationships" with fictional characters, and I think that ties into my need to have someone to sort of cheer for. I can specifically state that this need is why I told DH that he's of course perfectly welcome to binge Ozark when the next season drops, but I just can't do it.
In the context of the story, I know why Wendy didn't prevent her brother from being murdered. While he had his troubles, he had a good heart, and his death really bothered me.

The Expanse books have been out for a while. The show does a great job of following them and incorporating the short stories/novellas that came out as well.

I tried to read the first book and just could not get into it. I'm hearing, though, that a lot of people who struggled with the books actually really like the show. Maybe I should give it a try?

I find upbeat TV mostly present during recessions.

So often whatever is going on in society becomes reflected in TV and film. It's been said that the type of monster in vogue at a given time tells you something about what's going on culturally at that point in time.

I tried to read the first book and just could not get into it. I'm hearing, though, that a lot of people who struggled with the books actually really like the show. Maybe I should give it a try?

Try the short stories. Try: The Butcher of Anderson Station and The Churn. Good backstories on two great characters.

Nothing like some Law and Order SVU to brighten your day :rotfl2: It seems to be on like all weekend. Once I see the first 30 seconds of an episode, I will HAVE to watch the whole thing. Then one episode turns into a few episodes.

Have TV shows become too “dark and gritty”?

Yes and yes! I’ve taken to watching old reruns from the 80s lately.

...I told DH that he's of course perfectly welcome to binge Ozark when the next season drops, but I just can't do it.

Exactly! I tried to watch that one because DS thought it would be good, but I just couldn’t root for any of the characters.

Love Game of Thrones and Ozark lol, but I do agree that the balance is waaaay off. That goes with movies out also. Can we just get some escapism and happy endings? Bad enough the new norm is to only talk about the bad of everyone and everything and gloom and doom. Even during a pandemic this does not stop, and our news is not even just news anymore but more infotainment crazy on top of news. Would it be so hard to make things about beauty, harmony, love, people getting along. There are a few shows out there but sometimes I just need that. I just want to get away from the crazy. One reason why I stopped watching Law and Order, who wants to be entertained by every single episode of abuse of women or children. Where are the happy funny silly shows of my youth and younger adult years. At least they were well done.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter