Have we reached the saturation point?

I'm not convinced that moving Marathon Weekend to February would make it more popular.

I think moving it to February could actually significantly hurt its popularity. Positioned where it is now on the tail end of the holidays while a lot of schools are still out encourages family vacations. Moving to February would cut a lot of people out who don't want to take kids out of school mid-semester, especially with the weekend's extended 4 days of races necessitating an extra day out of school compared to the other weekends.

If any of the purpose of Marathon Week remains bringing in crowds during a relatively sparsely populated time of the year it's current placement on the calendar is redundant. Because of the overlap with the Holidays and School Vacations there is no need for added crowds during the period it has fallen the last few years and in 2018.

If Disney needs it to achieve this purpose and believes it to be able to achieve it then I could see necessity trumping tradition in the future; but, for now, I think it will stay in its current placement out of tradition and habit.

I think moving it to February could actually significantly hurt its popularity. Positioned where it is now on the tail end of the holidays while a lot of schools are still out encourages family vacations. Moving to February would cut a lot of people out who don't want to take kids out of school mid-semester, especially with the weekend's extended 4 days of races necessitating an extra day out of school compared to the other weekends.
Exactly. I wouldn't be able to go otherwise. I am on break from school during this weekend whereas most other race weekends I am not on break.

If any of the purpose of Marathon Week remains bringing in crowds during a relatively sparsely populated time of the year it's current placement on the calendar is redundant. Because of the overlap with the Holidays and School Vacations there is no need for added crowds during the period it has fallen the last few years and in 2018.

If Disney needs it to achieve this purpose and believes it to be able to achieve it then I could see necessity trumping tradition in the future; but, for now, I think it will stay in its current placement out of tradition and habit.
Considering there really is no slow time at Disney anymore I don't think Marathon Weekend is looked at for bringing in crowds during a slow time. Yes it brings in people who spend money but I wonder what the parks would look like during that week in there was no marathon because of things like the holidays.

Exactly. I wouldn't be able to go otherwise. I am on break from school during this weekend whereas most other race weekends I am not on break.

It will be interesting to see if/how your opinion changes on this after you graduate. I too use to love traveling during college breaks when I was in school. Holiday weeks (especially Christmas/New Years) are now the toughest time for my DH and me to take extended time from work. Everyone need to use PTO/PTO-carryover. We can take 3-4 day weekends, but not the week + for marathon weekend.

I thought that too on the Jan half deferrals taking spots at Wine & Dine, but who really knows on any of that data. I doubt they took all the spots though, there are some people who like that weekend, going to day didn't destroy it.

As I said above they can't please everyone on times of year, January is fine for me and marathon weekend, it kicks off the year.

I'm unclear as to why TAs bought so many bibs when they KNEW Disney was changing their requirements SIGNIFICANTLY, making people buy TA packages that include BIB, HOTEL and TIX. That impacts LOCALS, DVC, APs... that's huge. I feel badly for them, but it was a really poor business decision on their parts.
Some got greedy I'm sure as they saw a great market with the sell outs, especially Wine & Dine'15 when people couldn't even get their whole families in, so TAs came to the rescue. Then, I'm sure some hoped the sell outs would continue to cash in and they haven't. TA's are salespeople & I don't feel bad for them really with Disney changing stuff on them, it's business and I do know some can also exaggerate on their poor me to try get sales. Yep, it's a discussion board but totally get what you are saying. There are sometimes posts that make the posters opinion sound like fact which I guess just goes along with fake news of today, but are quickly bought into it seems.

Last edited:

The Mount Dora half is Christmas themed and run on the third week of December and only about a 45 minute drive from the parks.I did it this past year and got a spinner Santa medal,I think the next two medals are already unveiled,I think its a candy cane one year and maybe Rudolph the next??While I enjoyed the race course and the town of Mt.Dora the race is very inexpensive and that's my only complaint,I rather them raise the reg. fee $15-$20 and improve their hydration and food.First the water on course was seriously being rationed as each cup barely had more than a sip,I could be wrong but I don't remember any kind of gels or chews on the course.And yes the for issues continue after the race,very limited food afterwards.It was my first time running it and I already sent them a message to improve that situation,even if they jack up the price a bit cause I really enjoyed everything else and having moved near the parks the race became a local race for me.

I'll have to add that to the list. I have the Space Coast and Holiday Halfathon on the list since I have friends and family in both Tampa/St. Pete and Melbourne so we could make it a run/Disney/visit vacation.

It will be interesting to see if/how your opinion changes on this after you graduate. I too use to love traveling during college breaks when I was in school. Holiday weeks (especially Christmas/New Years) are now the toughest time for my DH and me to take extended time from work. Everyone need to use PTO/PTO-carryover. We can take 3-4 day weekends, but not the week + for marathon weekend.
I'm sure it will change. Assuming I have a job and am working 5 days a week after college, I would likely have some vacation time. I could then travel at other times of the year that I've never traveled before. For example I've never gone anywhere during the spring or fall.

I whole heartedly agree with this. RunDisney was originally a way to fill rooms at slow times. I think at this point that is not their primary goal and as such I don't really see them moving it for the sake of tradition. If they thought there was a better time for a race at this point they probably would already have a race weekend then.

I whole heartedly agree with this. RunDisney was originally a way to fill rooms at slow times. I think at this point that is not their primary goal and as such I don't really see them moving it for the sake of tradition. If they thought there was a better time for a race at this point they probably would already have a race weekend then.
Actually every other weekend but Marathon Weekend was. The original Marathon Weekend or Disney Endurance series as it was called was created by the current race director John Hughes. He went to Disney not the other way around. The rest of the weekends were added in to fill rooms.

I only mention this because I've been corrected on it before.

After the oh-so-freezing-wind-chill-warning 5K a couple of years ago, I decided a Jan race was not for me. :D

I'll take my chances with unseasonably warm as opposed to unseasonably cold. I love that they have enough races that I can choose.

Actually every other weekend but Marathon Weekend was. The original Marathon Weekend or Disney Endurance series as it was called was created by the current race director John Hughes. He went to Disney not the other way around. The rest of the weekends were added in to fill rooms.

I only mention this because I've been corrected on it before.

I didn't know any of the history when formulating my thoughts, but this makes sense. I'm sure they would still have few qualms moving the weekend if they believed it would help them achieve some other revenue-based purpose.

I believe when the marathon first started it was at the end of January rather than the beginning.
The first year (1994), Marathon Weekend was on MLk weekend. It was a slack time and gave the 5000+ people the Monday holiday for travel home, necessitating no time off from work for most people. The dates have varied over the years, with most marathons falling from Jan 8-13. Of course the first marathon weekends were JUST the marathon and then JUST Goofy, so they didn't require as many days off from work as Dopey does.

i think it should be the week after this year. too close to new years. it'll move out next year i just don't know why it didn't this year

i think it should be the week after this year. too close to new years. it'll move out next year i just don't know why it didn't this year

It couldn't move out. The next weekend is MLK weekend which is Star Wars Light Side/Resistance at Disneyland.

Last edited:
ah. kind of odd they boxed themselves in like that. might be part of the reason they are delaying registration for light side this year?

It couldn't move out. The next weekend is MLK weekend which is Star Wars Light Side/Resistance at Disneyland.
That's the only thing I hate about Light Side is that it prevents Marathon Weekend from falling in a place that's further from New Years when possible.

I personally wouldn't mind it being moved to later in January if it was possible but I would be less likely to run it in February. Weather in Florida is not ideal for running in my opinion because I'm from further north and despise the heat. February's historic averages are generally 5F warmer than January, especially at the end. That 5 degrees makes a huge difference to me because races like Princess never seem to be 'cool' or 'cold' the way Marathon Weekend can be. I mean, weather is unpredictable but I much prefer a chance of it not being totally hot to a near guarantee of it.

The first year (1994), Marathon Weekend was on MLk weekend. It was a slack time and gave the 5000+ people the Monday holiday for travel home, necessitating no time off from work for most people. The dates have varied over the years, with most marathons falling from Jan 8-13. Of course the first marathon weekends were JUST the marathon and then JUST Goofy, so they didn't require as many days off from work as Dopey does.

...or the following Monday to use the free park ticket that was given to participants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter