Have you ever went Christmas Caroling ?

Yep, with church when I was younger, we mostly sang for elderly shut-ins and at the nursing homes. I've never heard of being tipped for caroling, but I do remember some of the old ladies giving us cookies or popcorn balls.

eta: a lot of times we would distribute fruit/nut/candy baskets along with the caroling.

Oh boy, we could do a whole thread: How Much To Tip Christmas Carollers? ;)
In high school I was in a singing group and we'd go carolling, so I did it a few times. It was fun then because our group all liked each other and we were all into music. I wouldn't do it now, I'd just be cold.:cold:

:rotfl:So true.

My husband didn't know what to do. He usually never answers the door. He gave them $20. I'm surprised they haven't come back. :hyper:

Yes, sometimes on Christmas Eve at my husband's aunt's house we wander the neighborhood after dinner and sing, and his cousin plays the trumpet. We're usually carrying a drink. Someone has to hold the drink for the trumpeter. :P

Once. About 35 years ago. A co-worker had a Christmas party, and wanted everyone to go out caroling. She was renting a home in a very nice older neighborhood, where many folks had lived there for 40 years or more. As those folks died, the homes often became rentals, and the long time residents were not fans of the tenants in their neighborhood. So as one lady put it....."what lovely singing....however, we still don't like renters" !!

I went a couple times during high school, with the Youth Group from church. It was a lot of fun.

Went in the 80’s with my chorus class in high school. Truly one of my favorite memories. We went to the downtown area where there were beautiful older homes that were decorated to the hilt. Reminded me of something in the movies.

Yes, as a senior in high school. It was a school activity - optional. It was fun. Some people offered us cookies.

A church group comes to our door every year and hands out cookies.

When I was in high school, our basketball team decided it would be fun to go caroling. We went out, sang at a few houses and then the police showed up. Apparently, one of the houses called the police on us. I knew we sounded bad, but I didn't think we sounded THAT bad! The police officer just laughed at us and let us sing to the rest of his co-workers over the radio.

Many times, when I was young. Even when my daughter was young, we'd have carolers come to our home in Kansas City. I really loved seeing them. It just made the season special. Unfortunately, it seems to be a thing of the past.

Our former church used to have several groups that went out at different times. Preschoolers, Children, Youth, Adults and Seniors. I would go with the group dd was a part of and my own group. They would get a big map of the community and each group would pick an area so people weren't getting visited by every group.

We would all travel together in a wagon with hay pulled by a horse or two. Very "old time Christmas". But it was a lot of fun. And at night, standing in someone's yard holding a candle and singing "Silent Night" was just magical.

Did a couple of times with a chorus wife belonged to.
That was really planned and we practiced songs before we went.

When was in late teens we used to go around the neighborhood caroling for beer.
We were up front and let them know we intended to buy beer,, Oh The 80s, miss those days.

I think I went as a kid, and several years ago, I took DS's cub scouts caroling at a nursing home. There's also a farm around here that has a Christmas sing-a-long every year. I guess it's not technically caroling, as we aren't going anywhere, but it is a bunch of amateurs singing carols around a fire - so if that counts, I've been a couple more times.

We are hosting a huge Christmas party in a couple of weeks and I intend to send the teens out caroling in our neighborhood!

We used to go often in the late 60's/early 70's, both in the LA area where I live and in El Paso when we visited my grandparents. Just a bunch of us cousins used to go. It was fun.

We went every year with a group of families when our kids were growing up. When the kids all went to college, they got to busy.
They still talk about caroling and their favorite part was hot cocoa and all the homemade treats afterwards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter