Have you or someone you know ever gone missing?

Yes, lots. My cousin's son went missing for several months and was found deceased in the Mississippi River. A co-worker's son was missing for several years and was eventually located, was fine, and was reunited with his family. My best friend's brother was missing for many years and lived his entire adult life without his family having any idea where he was. My brother's former business partner has been missing for about 30 years.

Well, I ran away from home once, when I was ten, but I was only gone for a few hours and came back home by midnight, before my mom got to the point of calling the cops on me.

I realized that, however angry and unhappy I was at home, at least it was a warm bed and a roof over my head!

As for others...

Well, a friend of my mum's once visited us and stayed a few days, and I heard from her son (later confirmed by my mom) that the two of them were on the run from his dad. So you could definitely describe them as having "gone missing".

Apparently his dad had custody and wanted him to go to school, but his mum was offering him the opportunity to take his dirt bike and go around Canada and the US racing it at festivals. Being a young teen at the time, I thought he had the coolest mom in the world and I wished I could drop out of school, run away and ride dirt bikes all the time, too. In retrospect, she was a wanted criminal, he was a kidnap victim, and the whole situation was quite horrible.

My mom told me that the judge was biased, the dad was abusive, and that they'd had to run in order to stay safe. And also that I wasn't to mention it to anyone. I don't know if that story's true, or if it's just what my mom's friend told her to justify what she was doing.

I never saw them again. That boy would be in his forties now. I hope he's had a good life!

One of my neighbor's about 30 years ago who was in his 20's went jogging one day and never came back. He did not take anything not even his wallet and he was never found or heard from again.
The parents died and the siblings sold the house we still wonder what happened to him.

Yes actually.

In college, my group of friends included a guy who would just wander off from time to time. Like, for days. This was before cell phones, and if he had a jones to go camping, by god, he was going camping. He'd get up in the middle of class, go back to his dorm to pack up, not tell anyone, and just head out, only to turn up again the next day or the next Monday or whatever.

There was also my grandfather, who was a professional alcoholic. He would go on days-long benders before turning up at home, hammered, or in the hospital, or in the clink, or wherever.

I had a cousin who did a disappearing act for well over a decade after a falling out with his parents. No one knew where he was and since he was an adult and it was obvious he had packed up and left, the law wasn't going to look for him. He eventually returned, married with kids, and has remained in touch with family ever since.

I didn't know this person myself, but it's always stuck with me. I worked for a small daily newspaper after college. Early that spring an 18yo boy went missing one night after acting as dj at a party. Family didn't believe he ran off, but there was no sign of him, and after a few days to weeks the police assumed he took his cash pay from the job and ran off. It was almost fall before a local farmer noticed a brown patch in some trees on his property and went to check. He found the car, upside down, boy still inside. He had run off the road, across a small patch of farmland and into the trees where the car rolled. No tracks because the ground was hard at the time and the soybeans were not up yet, and the car just disappeared in the brush, no more than 50 feet off the road. :sad1:

My dbil did maybe 20 years ago. Just packed up and moved away in the middle of the night. He came back about 5 years ago but DH refuses to have anything to do with him. He thinks it killed his parents because of the worry he caused.

A friend of our family's mom went out on a date when she was about 8. She never came home and they have never found her or the boyfriend or the car.

She and her two older siblings were then raised by an aunt and uncle.

She always told me - I dont even have a grave I could go to and visit. I have no closure. So sad. My heart breaks for her.

The only clue they had was that the boyfriend or date had some bad ties/associations supposedly.

YEars ago, my grandma went missing for about 10 hours. She had Alzheimer's and snuck out of the house when my grandpa went to the bathroom. The police were involved and she was found wandering, blocks from home.

It was the next day when my grandpa admitted he couldn't watch her properly anymore and she was put into a home shortly after.

I don't know of anyone but I can't even imagine the feeling. The not knowing. How many people want to not be found and how many meet an unfortunate end.
I think of the girl in Myrtle Beach? She went missing and then it came out that she met up with the wrong people and was tossed to the alligators.

A family friend went missing. Ted Bundy finally confessed to killing her, but not until a few hours before his execution. That man was pure evil!

Back in my third year of teaching (about 1974) two sisters disappeared after walking to the local mall. One of them was in my 7th grade Social Studies classes. Neither girl was ever found but about two years ago someone confessed to knowing where the bodies were buried. The investigation is still going on but supposedly the killers are now dead also.

Yes, a 6th grade boy in my class while I was student teaching. He disappeared while riding his bike to a local college game. He was found a couple of months later, in a pond, the victim of a serial killer. Google the "mad paddler."

I have learned that has to be one of the most difficult cases for police, because an amazing number of people willingly disappear, and if they are adults, that is within their right. Police have to quickly sort out which cases need lots of manpower, and which cases are just someone looking to start a new life.
We don't even report missing people...adult.....or juvenile, unless the request to cover it comes from Police. You would not believe how many people try and get the media to "help" them find a loved one, when all they want to do is harm them. Non-custodial parents have been known to do that, we even had gang members try and use the media to help them find someone here they wanted to kill.
And the number of people who disappear without a trace is mind boggling.

And, pet peeve. You CAN NOT do missing, you disappear.

A 7th grader who helped DW in the office was kidnapped walking home from the bus stop. He was rescued 4 days later. They found another boy with him who'd been missing 4 years.

This was a former co-worker's, brother's wife. He dropped her off and she never came back out.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/1997/aug/20/store-owner-charged-in-killing/

My cousin. She'd taken my uncle's shot gun and went into the desert and killed herself.

Used to walk to school (actually the park across the street) with two guys and one day they just weren't there. Later a man who lived on that street was found dead and they eventually tracked down his car and the guys who went missing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter