Headscratching Comments from Others

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
The thread asking about shoes for the waterparks made me think of a real headscratching comment I ran into once, many years ago. I think it was at Typhoon Lagoon, although it may have been a non-Disney website. I was wearing water shoes, and this group of kids next to me in line were elbowing each other and snickering and making comments like, "She has water shoes! She has shoes you wear in the water!" At the time, water shoes were probably not as prevelant as now because it was years back, but it's not like they were all that unusual...maybe they were really sheltered? :confused3 Anyone else ever run into a real headscratcher comment like that?

I know what you mean...I get looks and questions all the time...

...and how foolish for people to mock what they don't understand...I LOVE my water shoes. They're ugly (kinda like platypus feet), but I don't have sore, scraped up feet after a day at the water park.

I also see people snickering over my Mickey shirts & Crocs (which I admittedly wear in my "regular" life away from the parks). I see idiots wearing heeled sandals and sundresses in the parks, but do I make snide comments? Heck, no! To each his/her own!

I say, "Water-shoe-wearing, fanny-pack-sporting, Croc-loving, Disney lovers UNITE!" :thumbsup2

My favorite are when you hear snarky comments about "Those people skipping to the front of the line" when you go through the fast pass line and its close to the standby line. Love that! Makes me want to ask people how closely they read their maps! Oh well, more fast passes for us!!

I only tried the no water shoe thing once and I swear I almost lost a toe!!! Well not really but my foot got scraped up bad and I will never do that again!!

I've never worn water shoes at a waterpark but I probably should have when we went to TL last time in May '01. Wowza - HOT!!!!!

I can't say that I've ever heard any strange comments. I did scratch my head at a couple of things on our last trip. The first was the lady using a wet wipe on the handrails for the ride queues. I was mostly wondering why she didn't just NOT touch the rails although the wipe thing is a bit odd to this non-germophobe too. And the second was a girl who was wearing a WHITE shirt without a bra. Can you say headlights?

My favorite are when you hear snarky comments about "Those people skipping to the front of the line" when you go through the fast pass line and its close to the standby line. Love that! Makes me want to ask people how closely they read their maps! Oh well, more fast passes for us!!

This made me laugh. Two years(Easter) we decided to use the FP option for living with the land. As we were going through the line some guy started complaining about us "park snobs" and how we were wasting our hard earned money on FPs. LOL I'm a park snob???? sigh This poor guy was standing in the standby line that was over an hour long and the FPs were time for 10 minutes from then. I almost wanted to educate him.

The first was the lady using a wet wipe on the handrails for the ride queues. I was mostly wondering why she didn't just NOT touch the rails although the wipe thing is a bit odd to this non-germophobe too.

OMG!!! This is so me! I don't wipe the rails but I do bring sanatizer for hands and beg and plead with my kids not to touch everything. I'm not really a compulsive germaphobe, but I've seen "bugs" kill people.

This made me laugh. Two years(Easter) we decided to use the FP option for living with the land. As we were going through the line some guy started complaining about us "park snobs" and how we were wasting our hard earned money on FPs. LOL I'm a park snob???? sigh This poor guy was standing in the standby line that was over an hour long and the FPs were time for 10 minutes from then. I almost wanted to educate him.

LOL, I really did. I'm ok being a "Park Snob". I really don't feel for people that don't take a little time to educate themselves on how things work a WDW. I know some people feel vacation is just that, but not at WDW, especially if you don't have some knowledge of where to go, what to do and a good game plan. It'as not vacation its misery:scared1: It's not like going to the beach where all you do is show up with a blanket and sunscreen.

Hee hee :lmao: "almost" but you didn't :rotfl:

there's always the comments you hear while on the buses out of Epcot/DHS/AK
"Ok, lets go to Disney World tomorrow!"

The strangest thing I heard at WDW was three different people asking me if my daughter's hair was real. It's quite long and curly (ringlets at the end) and hangs past her waist. I just thought that really weird after the first person did it, but by the time of the third person, I was truly puzzled. ONLY in Disney has that happened, ever.

Watershoes are fantastic inventions! (and so are bras to wear under white shirts!)

I've gotten this about the single rider line. Even from people in the FP line. I had a woman stop me in line for RnRC- she said "Excuse me? Are you in the Fastpass line?!" I said "No... I'm in the Single Rider line..." And she just said oh and let me go. She acted like she was going to smack me if I hadn't been a single rider.

It depends on the age of the kids but maybe they were teasing you like people tease people with fanny packs? You know, us "older folks" are more practical than stylish sometimes, so who knows ;)

I've never worn water shoes at a waterpark but I probably should have when we went to TL last time in May '01. Wowza - HOT!!!!!

I can't say that I've ever heard any strange comments. I did scratch my head at a couple of things on our last trip. The first was the lady using a wet wipe on the handrails for the ride queues. I was mostly wondering why she didn't just NOT touch the rails although the wipe thing is a bit odd to this non-germophobe too. And the second was a girl who was wearing a WHITE shirt without a bra. Can you say headlights?

If it was just normal wet wipes like I carry in my diaper bag, it wasn't doing any good anyway. Those things aren't antibacterial!

I can't say that I've ever heard any strange comments. I did scratch my head at a couple of things on our last trip. The first was the lady using a wet wipe on the handrails for the ride queues. I was mostly wondering why she didn't just NOT touch the rails although the wipe thing is a bit odd to this non-germophobe too. And the second was a girl who was wearing a WHITE shirt without a bra. Can you say headlights?[/QUOTE]

LOL.........AKA, "The turkey is now done" look.

Why don't I ever see such sights when I'm at disney? I always see the men wearing speedo's with too much bodyhair. NEVER do I see the white shirt + Kali Rapids look.

Where are you originally from? Maybe the water shoes are a regional thing or something. I grew up in VA not too far from the beach, we lived there from when I was 5-8 so 14-17 years ago, and we always wore water shoes to the beach and to water parks.

But when my family moved to IL/IN since there are no beaches there, and not really any outdoor water parks there was never really a need to wear them.

In any case, while I don't like wearing them at water parks, I still wear them at the beach :)

My favorite "dumb" comment was just a few weeks ago. We were at Epcot and were heading to Soarin to ride and to collect FP set at RD. The crowd was not bad at all, really. This guy and his wife were in front of me. She was booking it. He told her to forget it, they would just go to the Seas and ride Soarin' "when the line died down." Bet he didn't get to ride Soarin' that day!!

Its a regional thing and a generational thing. Being a person from the younger generation and the Southeast I can tell you. There are a few things that people around here in the 18-30 year old demographic are not going to let you get away with. Among the list are:

Water Shoes
Fanny Packs
Mullets
and Blue Jean Shorts

I know most of you will read that and completely disagree that any one item belongs in there with the infamouse mullet, and the vast majority will disagree with blue jean shorts. . . but trust me that's just how it is.

That being said. Even the majority of teenagers would be polite enough to not make snide and embarassing comments directly to someone.

head scrathing moment for me is when I see women wearing high high heels around the parks....i know to each is own, but man that has to hurt your feet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter