Healthy Cooking 5/2: Eating what others cook

Sorry for missing last week. I was on away on business (at WDW -- woohoo) and it was pretty hectic and tiring. But, the good part is it inspired me for this week's topic. What happens when you can't control how or what is cooked. Not so much holidays because you can bring something safe to eat. I'm talking business trips, vacations, lunch out with a group...what are your options.

Last week was tough. I will not lie to you and I gained 1 pound..and I was ecstatic because I felt as though I was going to gain more. It was difficult and I tried to plan ahead by packing up my pre-measured cereal portions in my suitcase and ordering myself a fruit basket for snacking. So that definitely helped. But lunches were served by the sponsors and while they were okay there were not very many options for those on a diet. Meat served in sauces, veggies drowning in butter, potatoes served au grautin. Luckily there was salad so I ate two plates of salad for lunch each day. Unfortunately, no low cal dressing (even when I asked if there was some available). Morning and afternoon breaks were cookies, brownies, muffins, and ice cream. Sodas and juices but very little water. And, because of meetings and seminars, we didn't eat dinner until about 9:30 or 10 each evening. By that time I was so hungry I was ready to eat my own arm! And fruit starts to add up points.

So...you can guess I didn't starve since I gained a pound but I did try to lay out my plan and watch what I ate. Here's some of the things I did to help me stay true to my diet while away.

• Order an appetizer instead of an entree. I did this at each dinner and it worked very well. I ordered a salad with it and had the salad served first. That way I'd have something to eat while everyone else was enjoying their appetizers. I asked the server to bring my appetizer when everyone else was getting their entrees. This way I didn't feel awkward during dinner. And when you are travelling/eating with a large group it's an easy way to keep on track with minimal effort.
  • Move, baby, move. I was sitting in seminars and meetings all day but I made it a point to walk around the hotel during every break (we were at the Dolphin) and during the hour lunch break I ate within a half-hour and then walked the rest of the time. I also made sure to get in a swim each day. At night, after dinner, we went dancing and not only was it fun, it made me feel more energetic.
  • Allow yourself to be "bad". Each night they'd have a cocktail reception and lots of business was conducted during that time. I allowed myself to have one "bad" (high point count) thing, if I wanted it. I made up mind before I got there what that would be -- a glass of wine, some finger foods, a small dessert. Because I had given myself permission I found I wasn't as tempted. Only one night did I have something -- tortilla chips and salsa -- and even then I didn't gorge myself. I had a few and I was happy.

I also budgeted points to get a Mickey bar when we had our off day. But it was so hot it actually wasn't appealing to me -- it would have been too messy to enjoy it so I ended up buying 2 chocolate covered strawberries at a kiosk in Italy that were just heavenly!

So my advice when you can't control how it's cooked...control how you eat it!

How about you? Vacation season is fast approaching...have any tips you'd like to share?

Have a great week,
Jeanne

These are great tips. Thank goodness you didn't have to snack on your arm! LOL!

Also, order the salad dressing on the side.

Drink water instead of soda. (plus, it's usually free and great with a lemon slice.)

Make a habit of carrying some individually packed lite or FF salad dressings in your purse. They do not need to be refrigerated until opened -- and they are only one serving size so as soon as you open it, you are using it all.
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter