Healthy Eating Restaurants AT and Around WDW?

AmySabato

Earning My Ears
Throughout the years, I have read about Disney serving food that is overloaded with sugar and sodium.
I have to wonder, does Disney on or nearby-off property have ANY restaurants that serve HEALTHY menus only? Salads, vegan, gluten-free-no sodium-no sugar, etcetera? I have gone to Sweet Tomatoes before but that is way off Disney property. Are there any restaurants like the aforementioned IN Disney or one of the Disney hotels? If not, I wonder why Disney does not promote that kind of eating to children and parents? :thanks:in advance.

You can find them - you just have to look a little closer or may need to "doctor" your food a bit.

I had bariatric surgery and only have about 20% of my stomach left.

We were at AK the other day and my husband wanted a chili dog at Restaurantasaurus. They had a grilled chicken BLT. I unloaded the bun, cut the chicken in half, and added a few items from the fixings bar to my chicken. A nice, healthy lunch for me.

I also am known to order salad-less salads, lol. I can't tolerate lettuce, so I tell them to just serve me the toppings.

I don't really have a hard time finding healthy options at WDW. Like the pp said, you may have to "doctor" some things but it is possible to eat healthy while there.
Have you looked at the menus on Allears? You can take a look and try to pre-plan what you will eat while there.

I think Disney has actually gotten better with offering healthy choices over the last few years. The high-fat, high-carb, not-good-for-you options are still abundantly there for people who take a vacation from healthy eating when they are there. But for anyone who feels better maintaining the same lifestyle on vacation as they follow at home, there are good choices in every park. I agree with @Hikergirl that checking the menus on Allears is a good start. You might also want to check out the disneyfoodblog.com for reviews and suggestions for where to eat (vegan, gluten-free, etc.)

ETA: This blog post is from 2010, so menu items have most likely to have changed, but some of the strategies are still valid and the restaurants mentioned are particularly aware of healthy eating. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/02/04/eating-healthy-in-walt-disney-world/

Last edited:
Last year, my DH ate a lot of fish and skipped a lot of sauces and asked the chefs to prepare his food with no sugar. A bit easier at table service places where you can ask for your meal to be modified slightly. Avoiding many of the meals with a lot of cheese, richer sauces, greasy/fried foods seems to be the best way to do it.

Reducing sodium or lots of oil is a lot harder. But that's normal in any restaurant - in Disney or in the real world.

On our trip in April I ate salmon A LOT. One of my favorites was at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot. I HIGHLY recommend going there for a healthy meal! I never feel like my only option is something awful. My husband had a pretty decent steak at ABC Commissary. Pecos Bill's at MK has a fajita platter that I had last time. I just didn't put them into the wraps - it was great. Add the fixin' bar they have there and you're set.

Most buffets have a carving station, veggies and a salad bar. We ate at Hollywood & Vine and I was able to find really good stuff!

BlueZoo, Coral Reef, CRT and BlueZoo were also places we ate at that had great options. Most of the nicer sit down restaurants have really great choices.

I wouldn't worry about finding healthy (& still delicious) options in WDW.

On our trip in April I ate salmon A LOT

This! If you like salmon, broccoli and green beans you'll have no problem :)

I do mostly QS and am of an age where I have to either eat lightly or make plans for a nap after lunch.

Magic Kingdom
I like the Niçoise salad at Be Our Guest. If you book the latest possible lunch it's usually not too crazy by the time you get seated with your meal.

Epcot
Many, many choices at Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe is one of my favorites in any park

Hollywood Studios
I usually eat at the Brown Derby Lounge here.

Animal Kingdom
Satu'li looks very promising! I've enjoyed both the chicken salad and turkey sandwich at Flame Tree BBQ.

Disney Springs
Wolfgang Puck Express at the Marketplace

Bon Apetit!

Ask to speak with a chef. My DH is a heart failure patient that has to watch his sodium. We eat counter service at the resorts most often. The best experience has been at CBR. Both chefs there have made great meals. Joaquin has made him chicken breast with sides. Most recently, Willaire made him prime rib with steamed vegetables and rice. The gentleman Willaire was helping prior to us was waiting for some vegan wraps. Other locations will help by looking at labels or bring out the allergy or vendor books. Poly was ok. In MK we eat at Columbia Harbour House. They can make salmon with no additional salt and steam him vegetables. One is given a pager and when it goes off you go up and get it from the counter. Again, ask for a chef when you get to the ordering CM.

Just returned from a 4 day trip, and I ate lo-cal/low salt by picking lean proteins from the appetizer menu.

At Jiko there was a separate vegan/vegetarian menu but you had to ask for it.
At Flying fish there was a delicious tuna poke that could be ordered without sauce.
The Wave offers a great egg white/veg frittata but you need to order without cheese

There are lots of healthy options on property,but you need to ask the servers for a separate menu or
explain what you are looking to eat i.e. low salt, fat, vegan etc.

You can contact Disney ahead of time with your dietary needs and they will send you information about what you can eat and whatvolaces can make modifications. If you make reservations they will attach your restrictions to it. I have read where the chef will come talk to you.

Throughout the years, I have read about Disney serving food that is overloaded with sugar and sodium.
I have to wonder, does Disney on or nearby-off property have ANY restaurants that serve HEALTHY menus only? Salads, vegan, gluten-free-no sodium-no sugar, etcetera? I have gone to Sweet Tomatoes before but that is way off Disney property. Are there any restaurants like the aforementioned IN Disney or one of the Disney hotels? If not, I wonder why Disney does not promote that kind of eating to children and parents? :thanks:in advance.

Sweet Tomatoes has three locations near the Orlando theme parks,the Lake Buena vista one is almost walking distance to Disney Springs,hardly way off Disney property.

Really its all about planning, my mom has some dietary restrictions, which at 1st glance.. when my parents got the list of no no's it seemed like it was going to be hard for them to even go out to eat. But I took the list and broke it down, and now they go out to eat, but with a little bit of planning basically looking at the menu ahead of time. While at the world, at TS we always ask to speak to the chef. I have to anyway's as I am allergic to coconut, and nowadays everywhere you go there is coconut water, coconut milk and added into and on to dishes, so I have to be careful, no cross contamination. As far as CS sometimes we have to adapt her meal, for instance at Ray's at MK she can get the rotisserie chicken meal, or chicken noodle soup and she is good to go, she carry's her own crackers low sodium with her. Most of the carts offer some type of fresh fruit and some veggies, at the resort's Food court you should be able to find more than in the parks, some of them have make your own yogurt parfait, or salad, or pasta which is great, and the portions are large enough to easily share with a child or 2 adults that aren't starving. DH and I have gotten the make your own salad and pasta and shared it and it was a lot of food, Thank goodness we were both hungry. You can always bring some healthier snacks with you or stop and pick them up.

Last edited:
I've found healthy options at almost every place in WDW- Even if it's just a salad, or some fruit etc. There are good options everywhere right next to unhealthier choices. And one person's 'good' equals another persons 'bad' options much of the time....like I don't eat gluten AT ALL- so to me a GF menu is the healthiest choice- My Ds likes a LOT of proteins,my DH likes his carbs, but is working on keeping his sugar intake low..... But to someone looking for something different,like low sodium,it's simple to choose wisely. Like getting a cs salad,and using only very small amount of dressing for flavor vs. and entire packet to save sodium,sugars,etc etc

My sincerest thanks to everyone for their insight, suggestions and feedback. I TRULY appreciate it.:thanks:pug:

This! If you like salmon, broccoli and green beans you'll have no problem :)

I do mostly QS and am of an age where I have to either eat lightly or make plans for a nap after lunch.

Magic Kingdom
I like the Niçoise salad at Be Our Guest. If you book the latest possible lunch it's usually not too crazy by the time you get seated with your meal.

Epcot
Many, many choices at Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe is one of my favorites in any park

Hollywood Studios
I usually eat at the Brown Derby Lounge here.

Animal Kingdom
Satu'li looks very promising! I've enjoyed both the chicken salad and turkey sandwich at Flame Tree BBQ.

Disney Springs
Wolfgang Puck Express at the Marketplace

Bon Apetit!

I would definitely recommend Satu'li at AK for healthy options. Everyone at my table really enjoyed our meals and most of the options are more on the healthy side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter