HEARTBREAK: Flight cancelled - Cruise missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their is a possibility that DCL will do something for the people that missed the cruise due to the weather problems....and we may never hear about it. If it means these people are made whole due to a circumstance they as well as DCL had no control over.....so be it and I will be happy for them. As I said in a previous post, I do not want to get into a debate over insurance--it is always a wise thing to have but I have also gambled myself before. Hopefully DCL as an act of good will takes care of them and they keep it a secret.
Tom

If only the OP could make the commission on all of the travel insurance he has sold...

I am sorry for the situation you are in, and I too will be buying travel insurance because of your post.

I think DCL should give a small discount on a future cruise... I understand all the points made above but this is my reasoning (and if my assumptions are wrong someone please correct me)

Assumption: Disney gives discounts for booking another cruise while you are on a cruise.

Since the above is true and this family paid for a cruise I think it would be a kind gesture for DCL to give this discount to the family even though they didn't actually take the first cruise and thus couldn't book on ship. They lose nothing in this manner since if the family had taken the cruise they could have booked this offer then.

I don't think DCL saves or looses any money by a family not being on the cruise (lower food cost for any food or other items the family would use that can keep and be used on the next cruise is offset by the souveniers they aren't selling to the family that isn't on board and everything else remains the same with or without the family on board) but the discount above would still not have them lose anything.

Everyone's calculating that it won't cost DCL money to give something to this family. It is not just one family. The OP is not the only person who missed the boat due to the weather situation on the East Coast last weekend. If the circumstances were the fault of Disney then they would probably make an offer, but they're not. The passengers had the option of insuring their trip against this kind of circumstance so they could at least recoup some if not all of their payment, but some chose not to.

Everyone's calculating that it won't cost DCL money to give something to this family. It is not just one family. The OP is not the only person who missed the boat due to the weather situation on the East Coast last weekend. If the circumstances were the fault of Disney then they would probably make an offer, but they're not. The passengers had the option of insuring their trip against this kind of circumstance so they could at least recoup some if not all of their payment, but some chose not to.

Exactly, precisely and very well said. I am so sorry this happened to the OP, but it's not DCL's fault and the insurance option was there from the get go. We had an incident in Hawaii a couple of years ago: on our way to catch our flight home from Kauai, there was an accident and the road was closed down. Now, I don't know if you are familiar with this beautiful island, but there is only one road leading from Poipu to the Airport and we were stranded. Without our travel insurance, we would have had to pay about $3000 for the new plane tickets home, an extra night of hotel, phone calls to the home and office and meals. We never, ever travel without insurance because of this but it is a personal choice. Not everyone wants or feels the need to get this type of product, but then must understand that there is a price to pay (sadly) when things do go wrong. DCL is a business, like any other business, and they can't make exceptions to the rules when they are not to blame.

Again, I am very sorry for the OP and wish him and his family many more fabulous trips with nothing but excellent memories to cherish in the future!

FWIW - my lawyer friend said the OP should look more to the airlines and not DCL if they want compensation. In her professional experience she has seen better outcomes from the airlines than the cruise companies.

Anyway, I hope the OP is making the most of their forced staycation! Sending more hugs today!

I agree with the comments posted here about DCL not owing me anything - they don't - What happened to my family is 100 percent not DCL's fault.

I must say, however, when it comes to offering a sympathetic ear, they have been much less than Disney-like. When I reached a supervisor on Sunday to ask about getting a token discount on a future sailing, she didn't even express sympathy for my situation, and instead told me I would have to talk to DVC because DVC had booked my cruise.

Now, DVC has been great. They spent more than an hour total on the phone with me yesterday, doing everything they could to be helpful as I tried to book another cruise that is close to selling out. There actually wasn't much they could do in the end, but they gave me their time and patience and sympathy to try and make something happen.

Talking to a DCL supervisor didn't get me very far, so I have now tried writing to see if they will give me a token discount, or at least Castaway Club credit for my lost cruise. I feel I should at least get something for my money, and doing either or both of those things would at least represent a token acknowledgement on Disney's part that we've been a storng supporter of their brand for the better part of three decades....

People don't always need a full refund to get satisfaction. Sometimes, just a little kindness goes a long long way.

so sorry to read this. Based on the conversation the kind person that called Disney on your behalf had with Disney, it sounds like others may have missed the boat too and perhaps they are working to fix it. Maybe not make it perfect but close. It would be good PR for Disney to at least offer a token of some sort. Making this post was probably a good move on your part. I think it will be of benefit. Good luck and I hope you are able to enjoy what vacation you have. Try to stay off the internet and focus on the time you have with your family. Many people would do anything to have just time with their loved ones...

If only the OP could make the commission on all of the travel insurance he has sold...
QUOTE]

:lmao: Very true - lesson learned, and Thank You, OP, for your class and grace in your reporting of this.
Wishing you well,

Ken

More often than you think.

They simply cannot make exceptions for everyone. It would be a smack in the face to anyone who spent money on trip insurance.

(and before I continue, let me say that I do feel badly for the OP)

Yes, the trip was "paid for", so DCL got their money. But think about it...if they permitted travelers who missed their cruise and didn't get trip insurance to get credit for re-booking another, then DCL has effectively sold two vacations for the price of one: the one they got paid for and the one they 'gave' away for free. Even offering a discount, they are still not getting the full value of the second trip. If anything, they really DO make it possible for a family to save their vacation through their trip insurance. I've heard others say that if their claim is denied and no refund is given, Disney will provide a credit toward another cruise...but you have to pay for that option via insurance.

A business can't remain profitable if it just gives its product away.

Its a different story if it is DCL's fault that the passenger missed the ship, but this isn't the case. Refusing to make an exception doesn't make them heartless; it shows respect for all their customers as well as their shareholders.
Honestly, why would anyone buy DCL's insurance if they knew they could get credit towards re-booking a vacation even if they don't have the insurance? While we know you also need the insurance in case of medical emergency, LOTS of people only buy the insurance to cover the cost of their investment.

Sayhello

Honestly, why would anyone buy DCL's insurance if they knew they could get credit towards re-booking a vacation even if they don't have the insurance?

Not only that but how often will Disney end up getting "I had to cancel the cruise because of circumstances beyond my control (and Disney's). No, I didn't have insurance, but had I been on that cruise I would have been able to rebook at a discount, and it isn't my fault I missed the cruise. The weather was bad, someone was sick, the car broke down and I couldn't get to the airport, I lost my job, I now can't afford the gas to drive to Canaveral, etc. So, I should still get that discount." Disney can't give everybody who misses a cruise for whatever reason a discount, and who is going to determine that the reasons that keep one person from getting to the ship merits a discount more than someone else's reasons?

It's different if the fault is Disney's. In that case, the OP should expect compensation. I don't think he should expect any under these circumstances.

Is this an insurance troll thread or did this really happen??...Just Kidding

OP I really feel bad for what happened to your family. I hope that Disney can get you some kind of compensation. :)

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but this is one of the drawbacks of flying Southwest. Since Southwest does not code share on the same scale as the legacies do, had the OP flown on one of the legacy carriers they would have had a much better chance to find seats.

Honestly, why would anyone buy DCL's insurance if they knew they could get credit towards re-booking a vacation even if they don't have the insurance? While we know you also need the insurance in case of medical emergency, LOTS of people only buy the insurance to cover the cost of their investment.

Sayhello

Absolutely right! We just spent over $600 on trip insurance that fortunately we never needed. However, if we had needed it, it would've been a bargain. I didn't like spending that money but did just in case.

Those that don't buy the insurance and find out they should have are upset . But they really have no right spending hours on the phone trying to guilt Disney workers to "give them something" to make them feel better. And it doesn't matter how long they have been a customer. Actually, the longer they've been around the move they should've known better.

(quote)Those that don't buy the insurance and find out they should have are upset . But they really have no right spending hours on the phone trying to guilt Disney workers to "give them something" to make them feel better. And it doesn't matter how long they have been a customer. Actually, the longer they've been around the move they should've known better. (quote)

OUCH!

I agree with the comments posted here about DCL not owing me anything - they don't - What happened to my family is 100 percent not DCL's fault.

I must say, however, when it comes to offering a sympathetic ear, they have been much less than Disney-like. When I reached a supervisor on Sunday to ask about getting a token discount on a future sailing, she didn't even express sympathy for my situation, and instead told me I would have to talk to DVC because DVC had booked my cruise.

Now, DVC has been great. They spent more than an hour total on the phone with me yesterday, doing everything they could to be helpful as I tried to book another cruise that is close to selling out. There actually wasn't much they could do in the end, but they gave me their time and patience and sympathy to try and make something happen.

Talking to a DCL supervisor didn't get me very far, so I have now tried writing to see if they will give me a token discount, or at least Castaway Club credit for my lost cruise. I feel I should at least get something for my money, and doing either or both of those things would at least represent a token acknowledgement on Disney's part that we've been a storng supporter of their brand for the better part of three decades....

People don't always need a full refund to get satisfaction. Sometimes, just a little kindness goes a long long way.

No offense but this is contradictory. You say they don't owe you anything but then you say they do. Can you imagine how many people have missed cruises for various reasons and how many stories they've had to listen to. Unfortunately, I'm sorry to say that I don't see where they owe you anything as it's not their fault you missed the cruise. Missing it is missing it. The situation is unfortunate in every way shape and form, no doubt. If they do for you, they would have to do for everyone that ever missed a cruise for whatever reason. As mad as I would be about the situation, I wouldn't expect them to pay me back or compensate me in any way. They aren't responsible for making sure you board the boat. I don't mean this harsh or anything, I really don't. But I don't know how long one can beat a dead horse.

No it was not Disney's fault but at least offering the rebooking discount that he could of gotten on board and the OBC you get would of been a nice token to say they were sorry.

Not only that but how often will Disney end up getting "I had to cancel the cruise because of circumstances beyond my control (and Disney's). No, I didn't have insurance, but had I been on that cruise I would have been able to rebook at a discount, and it isn't my fault I missed the cruise. The weather was bad, someone was sick, the car broke down and I couldn't get to the airport, I lost my job, I now can't afford the gas to drive to Canaveral, etc. So, I should still get that discount." Disney can't give everybody who misses a cruise for whatever reason a discount, and who is going to determine that the reasons that keep one person from getting to the ship merits a discount more than someone else's reasons?

It's different if the fault is Disney's. In that case, the OP should expect compensation. I don't think he should expect any under these circumstances.

The OP has repeatedly stated he does not expect any compensation! He has handled the situation with the utmost dignity. I can only imagine that in a similar situation I would not have been so calm and collected. Please give credit where credit is due!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter