HEARTBREAK: Flight cancelled - Cruise missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the OP should get something for this loss -- he should get the Castaway Club credit for a cruise that he's paid in full for even if, through the fault of the air carrier, he's not actually on the cruise.

The OP has repeatedly stated he does not expect any compensation! He has handled the situation with the utmost dignity. I can only imagine that in a similar situation I would not have been so calm and collected. Please give credit where credit is due!!!!

He does keep *saying* that, but he also has repeatedly called asking for a "discount" or "token offering" (other ways of saying "compensation) and is now going to write to them, asking for said compensation.

First, let me say how sorry I am to you and your family for missing the cruise. This was one of my worst nightmares prior to our Dream sailing (3/6). We flew out of BWI that morning with no problems.

As for the people that are saying buying insurance when you don't use it is a "waste", here is my take on (all) insurances:
I call it "big mistake"/ "little mistake":

IF you take out insurance and NEVER use it, it is a little mistake...
IF you DO NOT take out insurance and you NEED it, it is a BIG mistake (impacting you in a BIG financial way: life insurance, health insurance etc.).

I think the OP has taught us a valuable lesson at their loss. Take out the insurance. If you need it, you will feel SO much better when you can re-book your cruise.

Good luck and for what it's worth, I think DCL should have some sort of compensation policy for people that miss their cruise due to airlines/weather.

He should be compensated for all the things he would of gotten if he was on the cruise since it was paid for in full. The 10% rebooking discount, the OBC and the credit towards his status. I think all of this would be a show of good faith since the trip was paid for in full.

I think the OP should get something for this loss -- he should get the Castaway Club credit for a cruise that he's paid in full for even if, through the fault of the air carrier, he's not actually on the cruise.

I agree 100%. Every time I think of this family, I get heartbroken, too.

I leave on my 4th Disney Cruise in 1 month and would be devastated if this happened to us. We are cruising w/ my parents and our cruise is to celebrate my Dad rehabilitating & overcoming a stroke. I would be heartbroken if we missed this opportunity to vacation together.

Again, to the OP, I am so sorry. :hug::hug::hug:

When someone misses a flight for any reason they cannot get credit toward airline "status". Even when the flight is cheap enough that you cannot rebook it because it's less than the $150 change fee. You simply lose the money. No credit or status.

Everyone feels bad for the family but if they get compensated for not buying insurance then that entire industry may as well shut down and Disney has opened the door to chaos, sort of.

He does keep *saying* that, but he also has repeatedly called asking for a "discount" or "token offering" (other ways of saying "compensation) and is now going to write to them, asking for said compensation.

Yeah, the thread did start out very sad and with a very classy tone. It's a sad story and something to learn from. Hope your week gets better.

When someone misses a flight for any reason they cannot get credit toward airline "status". Even when the flight is cheap enough that you cannot rebook it because it's less than the $150 change fee. You simply lose the money. No credit or status.

Same with most hotel programs. If you don't show up, you lose money (may be the whole stay, may be first night - depends on the booking) but you do not get nights/stays towards status.

No it was not Disney's fault but at least offering the rebooking discount that he could of gotten on board and the OBC you get would of been a nice token to say they were sorry.

IMO, Disney has nothing to be sorry about. They are not responsible for the OP missing their cruise or the fact that they did not purchase travel insurance. In fact, they always offer you travel insurance when booking a cruise. Rebooking discount and OBC is for those who booked while on board, the OP did not sail.

I'm very sorry this happened to the OP. It must suck to miss something you planned for so long but considering the devastation and death caused by those violent storms in the south east, they have come out of it ok. I hope things work out for the OP and his family.

Also, sending out thoughts and prayers to those in the south east faced with rebuilding their homes and lives after this series of destructive storms.

Your right it would be a good will gesture on Disney's part.

The difference between a hotel room at a hotel room you are out $300-$400 a cruise you are out $3,000-$4,000.

While Disney owes this family nothing I still believe a good will gesture of the 10% rebooking fee and giving him his status credit would not break Disney's bank even if it was for a 100 different family's that missed the boat. They always make that money up with all the money people spend on drinks and other things while on the ship?

Just an opinion.

I feel horrible for this family, I really do! However, if they are given another cruise even though they didn't have insurance it makes me wonder why I'm buying the insurance for my next cruise.

Your right it would be a good will gesture on Disney's part.

The difference between a hotel room at a hotel room you are out $300-$400 a cruise you are out $3,000-$4,000.

While Disney owes this family nothing I still believe a good will gesture of the 10% rebooking fee and giving him his status credit would not break Disney's bank even if it was for a 100 different family's that missed the boat. They always make that money up with all the money people spend on drinks and other things while on the ship?

Just an opinion.

Totally agree on all points.

It costs Disney NOTHING to give them the status credit. And they aren't "losing" money to give the 10% rebooking discount, since they would've given the OP that if he had sailed anyway. They wouldn't be doing ANYTHING that would "negate" the whole needing trip insurance thing if they just did those two things. Not sure why DCL wouldn't be willing to do THAT as a courtesy/goodwill gesture, since really, they wouldn't be out any money, wouldn't be setting some horrible precedent, and wouldn't be undermining the need for insurance.

Just my two cents.

I can't imagine the disappointment that this family has gone through. No, Disney does not owe anything to this family.They aren't required to do anything more than what they have already done (nothing) but wouldn't it be nice if they did. Afterall, isn't that what pixie dust is all about - receiving the unexpected.

Mary

I can't imagine the disappointment that this family has gone through. No, Disney does not owe anything to this family.They aren't required to do anything more than what they have already done (nothing) but wouldn't it be nice if they did. Afterall, isn't that what pixie dust is all about - receiving the unexpected.

Mary

Mary, this is not directed to you personally so please don't think that. It's just your post is the most recent "pixie dust". First off, if DCL wanted to do something for this family, it would have been done so by now. But to keep on and on and on.....

Secondly, I've read many times on here about pixie dust and how all things would be great with JUST a bit of pixie dust. Well, in my reality, there is no pixie dust to make things better. You make the most of what life/others/your own decisions throw at you. As someone previously stated, we have families here in the SE dealing with loss of property, lives, etc. and to read about pixie dust makes me cringe. Perhaps too many watch Jake and the never land pirates or perhaps for some of you, life is like a fantasy. I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't have brought this issue onto the DIS boards to begin with (I mean look, strangers are already calling on the OP's behalf for crying out loud). That's just me, merely an opinion. Sure it would be nice if DCL does a little "good will gesture" but I don't think it should be "expected".

It costs Disney NOTHING to give them the status credit. And they aren't "losing" money to give the 10% rebooking discount, since they would've given the OP that if he had sailed anyway. They wouldn't be doing ANYTHING that would "negate" the whole needing trip insurance thing if they just did those two things. Not sure why DCL wouldn't be willing to do THAT as a courtesy/goodwill gesture, since really, they wouldn't be out any money, wouldn't be setting some horrible precedent, and wouldn't be undermining the need for insurance.

Just my two cents.

I agree. :thumbsup2

a nice token to say they were sorry.

They do not need to be sorry. Disney was not responsible for the OP missing the cruise and has no obligation to offer anything to prove they are sorry for his unfortunate circumstances. I do not personally think less of Disney as a company because they do not offer him or others in his situation a discount (or anything else). If they are required to offer monetary tokens to show they are sorry for circumstances beyond their control there are a great many things that they would now be obligated to be sorry for and guests wondering why so and so got a discount because such and such happened, why can't I get that discount?

Now if they wanted to send him a cheese plate or some wine to his stateroom when he rebooks his cruise, I could stand behind that. But no I do not think Disney need offer onboard credit, discounts, CC status for uncompleted cruises, or other compensation of that type to people who miss the boat under circumstances out of Disney's control.

And yes, the OP says he does not want compensation, but he also says that he is calling and writing DCL to ask for compensation, which seems to indicate that he does in fact expect compensation. Plus, numerous posts in reply which state the opinions of other posters that he should expect compensation. In my opinion he shouldn't expect it unless Disney is prepared to offer it to everyone who misses the ship, which they're not.

That sucks so much, thats why coming from uk we come in at least 2 days.
Not sure what or why disney should do anything.

Just my two cents.

Actually the 10% is costing DCL money. This is a discount that is calculated based on what they think most people spend while on the boat. Now it will not break them, but they can not just open that can of worms. They protect themselves when it is their fault you miss something on a cruise (like a port or whatever because of weather) they surely cover themselves when it is someone elses fault that has covered themselves in their contract as well. Also, most insurance policies would not have covered it so why should the cruise line. I feel bad and would do everything I could to recover as much as possible myself, but from DCLs view, how is this different than someone that books a flight late morning day of and gets there late because of ice delay. Reality is a huge difference in the planning portion, but from DCL view, it is a flight that missed the boat.

Just my two cents.

A courtesy or goodwill gesture from DCL is not necessary. It doesn't matter whether it costs them something or nothing. Disney holds no responsibility in the case of the OP missing his cruise. They should not be expected to offer anything PERIOD! DCL has policies in place for a reason and why should they be expected to throw them out the window when they are not at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter