• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Heartbreaking news...a big reminder to be aware of wildlife on property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signs might help only a few, from experience of people not following the rules/signs:
No flash photography
Don't go up on stage, seen people storm (about 20 of them) the MK castle stage to get pictures
No climbing, seen kids climbing and falling down
CM telling kids not to sit on the chains, I've seen many kids fall and bump their heads
Don't feed the wildlife , I've seen people feeding ducks, birds, turtles, alligators...
The events of this week in Orlando will have an effect on the Disney Bubble. Is that a good or bad thing? I don't know.
I definitely take your point about signs not being followed. I think that warning of dangerous wildlife including alligators would likely have better compliance than ones on flash photography.

And it would provide info to many who don't fathom this to be a possibility. Seems like a reasonable thing to expect Disney to do -- more than walling off every body of water, in my view.

I think that the impact of these horrible events will fade, if human nature and all past events are any guide. As heartbreaking as these events are, people are resilient and move forward. And Disney will still be far safer than most places many of us go every day.

People often seem to have a holier than thou attitude, especially when a tragedy doesn't affect them. This could have been anyone's child.
It makes you wonder why Disney does those idiotic movies on the beach at the Polynesian at night. I walked by there with my kids when we stayed at the Poly and I told my wife its shameful they call that a "beach" because it gets people thinking about swimming, etc. That is nothing more than gross, swamp water.

To the clown on this thread that said they don't want gates up because its an eye sore - shame on you. Gates might not be the answer as they might not work but to say you shouldn't have them because they might look bad when kids safety is at hand - you are ridiculous.

until someone lifts their child over the fence and its attacked by a gator....it will happen...because people don't think rules apply to them..

If Disney is going to have beaches that people can easily access, it's their responsibility to both post signage warning people of the threat as well as be constantly patrolling/scanning the water to make sure there are no predators living there that could threaten their guests. This is a private lake, not a massive public beach and ocean. They have the money and the technology is there. They should be held responsible for this, and they will. Just based on some of the evidence that people have provided on this thread of previous alligator sightings being ignored or slowly addressed.

Are you down by me in Lee County? My daughter works at FGCU's Campus and last year se was in a meeting, she took pictures of a gator in the University swimming pool there. A trapper was getting it out. They are all over
I am from Lee County and I remember us finding alligators THREE times in our pool. Literally, they are everywhere and can get everywhere.

G U A R A N T E E D.... and it will happen almost immediately......let the lawsuits begin.....

This is beyond tragic :-(
I don't think it's guaranteed. We will see, of course...

I think that would be an overreaction. And then we'd read a story about a child or someone crawling up and over the wall they built around every body of water. It wouldn't end.

I think they need to improve signs. I could see closing all beaches initially as they have, improving signage, and reopening. Though fear of lawsuits is certainly a big driver for business in this country -- never know... I just hope not.

Last edited:
They had warning signs up No trespassing no swimming. Now if it was me I sure would not be near that body of water if those signs were up. We always stay on property and when we stayed at the BCV my family remembers talking to a worker saying there are gators in these waters so you have to be cautious and aware of your surroundings depending on where you are. If those signs were up then why would you go near the water
]

IT'S A BEACH! They were walking along the edge and wading. To me, that's a big difference from 'swimming', as most places say 'no swimming' when they just want to be free to not provide a lifeguard. There's a big difference between 'don't swim here because there's no one to save you and ' don't swim here, because an alligator is going to eat your kid'!

It's easy to point fingers when a tragedy like this happens. Personally, I wouldn't go NEAR that water. I get iffy driving a boat over that water.

I can see why someone wouldn't think that a gator would be in the water. It's manmade, after all. But that doesn't mean a gator could never get to it.
On the flip side, there should have been a posting. I get that Disney doesn't want to scare off guests, but at the slightest possibility of a gator being present, they should have had a sign acknowledging it.

My dad, for whatever reason, is a big Discovery Channel guy. Whenever we pass by the lagoon, he always goes "I bet there's gators in there" to which we roll our eyes. You'd never expect that at Disney. Not to bring an outside occurrence and a whole new discussion into it, but you'd also never expect a terrorist attack, either. I think that because it's Disney, many of us seem to overestimate our safety.

Regardless, it's a tragedy and my heart bleeds for this family.

If Disney is going to have beaches that people can easily access, it's their responsibility to both post signage warning people of the threat as well as be constantly patrolling/scanning the water to make sure there are no predators living there that could threaten their guests. This is a private lake, not a massive public beach and ocean. They have the money and the technology is there. They should be held responsible for this, and they will. Just based on some of the evidence that people have provided on this thread of previous alligator sightings being ignored or slowly addressed.

I read in multiple articles that there have been no "nuisance gators" reported at Disney recently. Then someone posted an article of a British family that was almost attacked by a gator at the Poly beach last month. They were able to run away, but they were doing the same thing as the Nebraska family, waiting on the beach for fireworks, child playing in the sand by the water.

From what I have heard over the years from boat captains, and other CMs, they do have staff that are on constant patrols to remove gators (as well as snakes, etc.) that are assessed to possibly be a hazard. This is also NOT a "private lake." While the lagoon is man made it is still surrounded by, and connected to a vast series of natural Florida waterways. It would be impossible to remove every single threat.

Can we please STOP arguing about whether they had their feet in the water or were wading in it???? What does that accomplish???? A child is dead and a family is mourning a loss that most of us will never begin to comprehend. IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!

Should they have researched more or paid more attention? Who knows. I plan my vacations down to the smallest detail and I readily accept I cannot plan for everything that could happen. Disney cannot inform me of every potential situation just as I cannot anticipate them. I accept that as part of life and being human. We do not know if the family is going to sue, so stop speculating and making judgements.

This is a terrible tragedy and debating over the intent behind a sign that says "No Swimming" will not bring this child back. Let's stop and see how Disney reacts before debating the potential "eyesore" of a fence.

But you are assuming that out-of-state people, especially from the non-gator states, know that gators are this common in Florida. They don't. At home, gators never cross my mind, ever. Mosquitoes. Bear. Coyotes. Yes.
I'm from the northeast and I knew about gators being in Florida. You hear about these attacks every so often down there. Actually, on every single trip to WDW I have taken, I have seen gators.
If that child was on the beach, at the water's edge he could have been snatched by the alligator. He didn't need to be swimming in it. Further, he was two, how deep swimming can a two year old get without going under? The child could not have been in deep, if he was in at all. Disney built the beach, for the purposes of inviting guests to it. The could have built a rock wall. They chose not to in order to enhance their resorts for profit. Disney chose to build that beach knowing better than any guest that there were alligators in the waters around it. If there was a known danger of alligators, which all you smug posters seem to know there was, Disney absolutely had a duty to place a warning sign. I am disgusted by the people answering on this thread. No respect for common decency or humanity. Kick me off this board.
Talk about "smug". No one is blaming the parents. Some are saying that Disney shouldn't be held liable because it was a freak accident and technically, the parents disregarded the sign. I personally think that the signage should be changed to mention gators, but truthfully, I'm not sure even that will keep some people out.

This is just horrible. I cannot imagine and feel so bad for that poor child and parents.

What blows my mind is how many here never really thought, believed, knew Alligators are at Disney. Maybe I' m paranoid but alligators, snakes are always on my mind. Ex I never could fathom how people camp at disney ( central FL) near water.

Camped at Fort Wilderness many times. I have not seen a gator there but am aware they are 'around'. It occurred to me that my kids have played in the water's edge on the beach during the fireworks. My understanding is that gators prefer still water and don't necessarily swim around Bay Lake. At any rate I'll be extra cautious on our next trip.

People kayak and fish in the canals at Fort Wilderness. I wonder if they'll put a stop to that.

I am really amazed that anyone might think Disney is somehow devoid of alligators. Many many acres of undeveloped property everywhere. Its like whitetail deer here in Pennsylvania - many millions of them around and they are very adaptable to human development.

No doubt this is a tragic event. How horrible must it be to be on this wonderful family vacation and have something like this happen. That said, they should not have been in the water and there are signs stating no swimming. Most of the waterways at WDW are connected, even those in the theme parks. That's how aligators get in there. I know Disney will remove them if they get too large or become a nuissance (I think they take them to Gatorland). Unfortuantely, there is always a risk around wild animals, and as humans encroach on their territory incidents can happen. It's very sad, but I don't really see what Disney can do beyond additional warnings.

]

IT'S A BEACH! They were walking along the edge and wading. To me, that's a big difference from 'swimming', as most places say 'no swimming' when they just want to be free to not provide a lifeguard. There's a big difference between 'don't swim here because there's no one to save you and ' don't swim here, because an alligator is going to eat your kid'!

To me if it says no swimming that also means DO NOT go near the water.

No doubt this is a tragic event. How horrible must it be to be on this wonderful family vacation and have something like this happen. That said, they should not have been in the water and there are signs stating no swimming.

Can people just start reporting posts like this? They aren't doing anyone any good.

Excuse me, where did I say trap ALL the alligators? If you're going to attack me, at least be accurate. I'm sorry, but I think it's irresponsible to allow a gator to LIVE IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM. Not all gators everywhere. Give me a break.

My word, I should have said "trap all the alligators int eh WDW resort complex. WE were discussing Disney, so I did not think I needed to clarify that I was talking about Disney.

It is my humble opinion that it is irresponsible to try to move wildlife that frightens people just because you think that you can.

I knew Florida is full or gators...its the main reason I wont move there (even though I really would love to live in FL) but (and I know this sounds dumb) I just never associated gators with Disney.

I guess I always imagined there was some perimeter fence around Disney to keep unwanted wildlife out. SSL is a man made lagoon so the only thing in there would be what they stocked it with (or what bird droppings brought in) perhaps. Its just one of those things I never thought about. I always felt incredibly safe at Disney World and the thought of being attacked by a gator has NEVER crossed my mind (though its on the forefront of my mind anywhere else in FL).

Maybe its because we're brainwashed about the "Disney Bubble" and how magical, safe, and perfect it is.......but there really is no bubble. Its no different than anywhere else. I can't even fathom what this family must be going through so I won't even comment on it. Disney, oh man, this is NOT the publicity the wanted or needed. I mean...HOW do you combat this? A pool drowning? Thats one thing. Tragic but far more "acceptable" in terms of being able to understand than a gator snatching someones child in the water.

I was just on the beach in October at O'hana. I looked over at the GF several times, amazed at how close it was. Never in my wildest dreams did I suspect a gator was in those waters.

I do believe a huge lawsuit will be delivered from this and we will see many changes around bodies of water on Disney property due to this incident. Even if I saw a "no swimming" sign I would never have associated it with gators. I would just figure its there because they don't have lifeguards around, the bottom isn't prepped for swimming, or that Disney doesn't want any more cases of the amoeba thing that caused them to shut down River Country. Gators just never would have been a thought.

So like.....the moat around the castle....the intricate waterways in the parks.....I guess gators can be lurking in those too. What if they get into a ride like POTC where its dark and snatch someone from a boat? I mean really....

All the Seven Seas Lagoon is is an extension of Bay Lake. Bay lake was there, and when they created the MK, they dredged the area out where SSL is now for the soil for MK. They built the utilidors, and then pushed up the dirt from SSL, covering the area and built the MK on top. They built the road around to the Contemporary, opened up the water bridge, and Bay Lake flowed into the SSL. The boats and ferries travel freely between SSL and BL so why would someone think that an aligator isn't capable of doing the same?

I remember being at FW when swimming was allowed at the beach. An area was roped off with orange markers, showing where the swimmer was allowed. Mind you, this was back in the days of river country too. A lot has changed, and will continue changing for our safety.

They correct this and said they had their "feet in" like wading. Not a foot deep

who's feet...if the parents had their feet in the water and the child was lagoon side of the parents not beach side...he was probably in a foot of water...also reports say the child was the only person in the water...

like I said earlier...its a tragedy...it really is...I feel for the parents and the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter