Heartbroken a bit.

Pickles516

Mouseketeer
Hi, I hope this type of post is allowed here. If not, I apologize. It’s just a bit of venting, and I figured the only place that would get it was here.

I’ve been intensely studying up and planning for a 7-night October 2023 trip for my family and I (3 adults, 4 children) for at least the past year. This is the big one. A vacation the likes of which we’ve never done before and will likely never be able to do again. I was really torn about resorts because I wanted the best pool experience(my kids are big swimmers and I really wanted a water slide for our pool day, so moderate and deluxe resorts were where I was looking), easy access to the parks(young kids), and enough space that my wife could get some sleep. The budget was getting really tight, and I was starting to get discouraged. I was accepting the fact that I’d have to make some concessions.

Then a miracle happened - one of my wife’s clients said she could get us free park tickets for our stay. She got our dates and told my wife to await details via email. Suddenly, any resort we wanted was on the table. My wife was finally excited to help me plan the trip(whereas before she just kind of viewed it as checking a really expensive parenting box) because now she knew we were getting a great deal. Magic vibes were mounting.

When my wife received the e-mail, it turns out her client could only come up with 4 tickets for one day at the parks. I felt it physically in my chest when she told me. My parents took my sister and I to WDW when I was about ten, and I haven’t really been back since(I went for two days back in March, but that was just for a wedding and I didn’t have the family with me so it was more of a recon mission). Ever since that first trip I’ve dreamt of going back. My dad passed from leukemia when I was 20, and that killed the dream of my family going back together. For awhile after that my life was a mess. After my daughter was born and I got my life together, my mom, sister, and I talked about planning a trip. Then my mom passed suddenly, and that dream also vanished. So, finally, my sister and I started talking about possibly doing a trip(by this time I was married and had three kids). It turns out my sister was experiencing a ton of financial problems I wasn’t aware of, and at the height of them she drank herself to death. So, that’s part of why this upcoming trip meant a lot to me.

Now, please don’t get me wrong - it’s super sweet and generous for this woman to give us anything, and it will be a help. I’m still very grateful. Also, having spent the bulk of my 20s either institutionalized, incarcerated, or living on the streets, I know how incredibly fortunate I am to be able to take my family at all. I started from less than zero a little over 8 years ago when my first child was born and I got clean/sober from drugs and alcohol. I just got really excited about pulling off this dream trip, and now I’m back to re-lowering my expectations. I know I’m still very lucky, I just got so hyped to do the extra things I hadn’t previously even dreamed of affording(Not so Scary, Rooms at the Poly, Signature dining, etc.) that now I feel like I got my hopes up too high.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, y’all. I appreciate it.

It is definitely ok to vent. This group definitely understands the ups and downs. I know that was a crushing turn of events. This probably isn't much help, but you can still have a fantastic dream trip without the 'extras'. Yes, they are exciting and it seems like it will be uber special by having them. But, we have found over the years that our most special trips have been ones where we did not have the high expectations.

On a personal note and from one who definitely understands, kudos on your sobriety.

It is definitely ok to vent. This group definitely understands the ups and downs. I know that was a crushing turn of events. This probably isn't much help, but you can still have a fantastic dream trip without the 'extras'. Yes, they are exciting and it seems like it will be uber special by having them. But, we have found over the years that our most special trips have been ones where we did not have the high expectations.

On a personal note and from one who definitely understands, kudos on your sobriety.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. It’s not as if the kids know what they’re missing out on - they’ll love a moderate or value or whatever just as much, I’m sure. I just have the unreasonable fear that what I can provide won’t be magical enough for them. I know it’s silly, but i really appreciate your kind and understanding words.

It is absolutely ok to be disappointed! Your feelings are real and relevant!
You have been through so much in life and you want as much joy as possible for your children. That is what is important.
You can still have an AWESOME trip! We, too, daydream about villas or experiences way out of our budget. It's fun to imagine sometimes. Then reality hits. We have a fantastic travel agent who knows what we like and looks for deals for us. We have switched resorts to get newly offered discounts. We buy Disney GCs at Sam's and Target and save save save for every trip.
Idk the ages of your kids, but ours loved the values and mods when they were young - slides or not! We loved food courts at the resorts because everyone could get something they liked. (Deluxe resorts do not have food courts.)
Our favorites were All Star Movies and Port Orleans French Quarter. At FQ, we loved the slide, the boat to Disney Springs, and the ONE bus stop. At All Star movies we loved the theming. Both resorts have recently updated their rooms!
You have more people in your family so you either need 2 rooms or a family suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation might work. I personally find Art of Animation to be pricey, but worth comparing vs 2 rooms.
We also bought Disney toys/trinkets at the Dollar Store and Target before our trip and each morning a fairy pixie dusted our kiddos with a small surprise. (Don't forget the gold glitter!)
My point is, our first several trips were on the tightest budgets, but we planned ahead and PAID AHEAD. We had absolutely wonderful, financially stress-free trips that our family loved.
I sincerely wish you the best.

It definitely can be frustrating and eye popping when tallying everything up. When I was growing up, we’d visit from out of state and were total park commandos. We always stayed value or moderate and only used the room for showering and sleeping! I will say having a large food court right by the bus stop at the values is a huge benefit if you’re on the go.

We had family friends who, as a cost saving method, were limited to one souvenir each total for the entire trip (not per day or per park). Not only does this cut down expenses but it saves luggage space too!! As I’ve gotten older my souvenir of choice is actually a pencil, which seems silly but it sparks good memories. So I suggest thinking out of the box for miscellaneous expenses. I second hunting for discount gift cards, but don’t use any website that feels scammy because it probably is.

For accommodations, aside from leveraging available discounts, you may also want to consider renting DVC points for larger rooms, or doing “split stays” if your family is comfortable not having a room for ~5 hours in the middle of the day (great time to take in all the shows at DHS or AK!). For a split stay, always start in a lower category room before moving to a higher one. Another advantage of this is if you split value to deluxe, and your deluxe fall over Monday and Wednesday nights, you get evening hours at Epcot (M) and MK (W). If your kids will stay up, it’s a great benefit to be able to have lower crowds. Finally, I agree with previous posters that your kids will have a blast at any resort pool, because it’s a pool at Disney! Alternatively, maybe one of your extras can be a pool day at typhoon lagoon?

Note that if any of these suggestions make your trip more complicated, it’s not worth the effort involved. It sounds like you’ve already done a lot of research which puts you ahead of many people visiting WDW. I hope some of the suggestions on this thread alleviates pressure and you are able to have a wonderful vacation!

Thanks y’all. Stocking up on Disney goodies beforehand is a great idea. I’m considering buying a bunch of GC’s at discount, but I’m holding off because I don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of cards if I end up renting DVC. I’m kind of in a holding pattern right now as I wait for the 11 month window to co pare prices/availability.

I really appreciate the kindness and I’m sure the kids will be thrilled no matter what.

I think you've made this trip into something it can't accomplish. I get it, I did the same thing during Covid. Disney became my escape. But going broke for this isn't neccesary.

Honestly, I wouldn't do any of these things. I'd stay at the Hiltons with the big lazy river -- now that's a pool complex! And Uber is fine. And I would book just Halloween tickets and use your free tickets for one day at HS or Epcot, depending on your kids.

Everyone here acts like Disney is this two week experience, but you can see enough, if you prioritize, with a full day and the Halloween party. Build in a pool day for arrival day and in the middle. I'd rather make this shorter and be able to afford vacations in the future. This isn't "lowering expectations," it's consuming enough without going broke. Disney will let you spend as much money as you want. Forever.

If your kids are older, Harry Potter might be cooler and cheaper anyway. If you stay at one of their expensive hotels, you actually get to cut the lines. Disney is an exercise in waiting in line.

You probably have hotels and restaurants nicer and cheaper than Poly and signature dining in your hometown. To me, Disney quality is like comparing the rest of your town to the airport. They have a captive audience, so it costs more and isn't necessarily as good.

Last edited:

I’m sorry the dream has crashed but take heart. Despite what it feels like reading these boards you can have a great time without all the trimmings.

We’ve never done any extras and always had a blast. It’s Disney. When did the rides not become enough?

we do one souvenir per trip and that’s never been an issue. we do mostly counter service cause I’m cheap 🤣. We have been lucky to get good deals for French quarter but my son would have been just fine value or offsite. Honestly if driving offsite with more room is a great option these days. We end up driving to parks even when on-site.

We do one sit down meal a trip - garden grill is a favorite. I promise my son has amazing memories.

And unless your kids are older the evening parties like Halloween are too late to be enjoyable.

And unless your kids are older the evening parties like Halloween are too late to be enjoyable.
My four year old did great with the Halloween party. You have to prepare for it and nap. Walk on rides and parades and wow.

Obviously, you know your kids, and maybe they aren't night owls.

I think you've made this trip into something it can't accomplish. I get it, I did the same thing during Covid. Disney became my escape. But going broke for this isn't neccesary.

Honestly, I wouldn't do any of these things. I'd stay at the Hiltons with the big lazy river -- now that's a pool complex! And Uber is fine. And I would book just Halloween tickets and use your free tickets for one day at HS or Epcot, depending on your kids.

Everyone here acts like Disney is this two week experience, but you can see enough, if you prioritize, with a full day and the Halloween party. Build in a pool day for arrival day and in the middle. I'd rather make this shorter and be able to afford vacations in the future. This isn't "lowering expectations," it's consuming enough without going broke. Disney will let you spend as much money as you want. Forever.

If your kids are older, Harry Potter might be cooler and cheaper anyway. If you stay at one of their expensive hotels, you actually get to cut the lines. Disney is an exercise in waiting in line.

You probably have hotels and restaurants nicer and cheaper than Poly and signature dining in your hometown. To me, Disney quality is like comparing the rest of your town to the airport. They have a captive audience, so it costs more and isn't necessarily as good.
I appreciate what you’re saying, but I’m not going broke for this trip - I have vacation money allotted for it. When I say I don’t see us doing it again, I’m not saying I don’t have the money for it, I’m saying that I’m anticipating expenses in the future that will probably make spending 10k+ on a vacation unlikely.

I’m sorry the dream has crashed but take heart. Despite what it feels like reading these boards you can have a great time without all the trimmings.

We’ve never done any extras and always had a blast. It’s Disney. When did the rides not become enough?

we do one souvenir per trip and that’s never been an issue. we do mostly counter service cause I’m cheap 🤣. We have been lucky to get good deals for French quarter but my son would have been just fine value or offsite. Honestly if driving offsite with more room is a great option these days. We end up driving to parks even when on-site.

We do one sit down meal a trip - garden grill is a favorite. I promise my son has amazing memories.

I’m sure you’re right. I think my perspective got a bit warped as I was doing research here, honestly. There are a lot of people that experience WDW in a completely different way than I will be able to and I think I kind of normalized that a bit.

You have been thru a lifetime and are a survivor.
So much is offered, you will be overwhelmed with family fun. Make it happen and keep it simple …
Your health is truly important Do not allow yourself to stress about the day to day because you are incredible!

Last edited:
Biggest congratulations on your sobriety and what you have accomplished thus far. Being disappointed is totally understandable and if any group can commiserate it is folks on these boards who have all been through life...all the up and downs. Health issues destroyed my dream of a trip with my parents and children. When we finally took our children last year it was kind of bittersweet...my inlaws joined us for a portion which was wonderful but my parents were not able too. It was tough but as my children did not know about this dream of mine they were none the wiser.
Might I suggest working with a TA? Dreams unlimited or a similar group? They have a lot of good ideas for getting the most bang for your buck and making your trip special no matter your budget.
When you go enjoy it to the fullest and be so proud of what you have accomplished for yourself and your family.

First, congratulations on all you’ve accomplished!

You could possibly save by renting DVC points through a rental company or through the DVC rental boards here. If you rent a 2 bedroom, you’ll also have a full kitchen and a washer and dryer. One of my friends is renting points for a 2 bedroom at AK Kidani this summer for far less than it would have cost her for 2 hotel rooms at Jambo. For her group of 7, a full kitchen made sense with 3 kids so they can have snacks, breakfast, treats, etc. You can get tickets for perhaps a slightly lower cost through Undercover Tourist, AAA, Sam’s Club, etc.

Personally, I would do a total of 4 park days with park hoppers so you have a day to enjoy the resort and pool. I probably wouldn’t do MNSSHP. If you do, I would suggest cutting down to 3 day park hoppers. My kids make it through later than normal nights at Disney but we make sure the next day is slow resort day because they’re still kids.

You may want to try doing Disney Springs on day of arrival. Before we had APs, that was our go to on arrival day. That way, you can experience the Disney feel, shopping, and have a relaxed meal. My kids absolutely love Blaze Pizza so that’s a super low cost meal every trip for us. They also get Dole Whips there (as they do at every single place they find them).

Whatever you do, it’s going to be amazing for you and your family and I hope you have an absolutely incredible time!

How old are the kids ? I definitely agree with everyone that deluxe hotels and signature dining aren’t necessary and aren’t needed to have an amazing time . One year we went to Disney when the kids were 7 . We stayed for a week at GF with my parents . We had character meals , the works . After that week we did a week at a condo near my cousins also in Florida . What was the kids favorite thing after all that? Night swimming at the condo 😳

Thank you all again for the kind words. Currently thinking 4 solid park days with a possible 5th for a return to MK. We’re currently planning 7 nights so we should be able to fit that in with rest days I hope. The reason I chose to do 7 nights is because even though I know there will be some rushing around, I’d like to give us enough time to soak it in and not just be running from LL to LL.

Renting DVC is definitely on the radar. I would love to do AKL, but I hear transportation is less than ideal and my wife isn’t big on the idea of bussing everywhere. I’m also looking into Swan and Dolphin which both look really nice.

Edit: kids will be 9,7,4, and 2 at the time of travel. Three adults aged 38(me), 36 and 36.

I wouldn’t worry about transportation at AKL unless you absolutely hate busses- people gave timed the busses and it’s actually closer to all the other parks (except for MK) than the MK resorts are to the other three parks. So you’ll spend less time commuting overall. And sitting on a balcony at Jambo house at sunset while the giraffes wander by below and the music plays in the distance is a truly magical experience.

I hear you. And I'm sorry. But the kids truly won't know what you couldn't give them. They won't know about all those restaurants tucked away. But they WILL know the time spent with you, on magical rides, on ice cream, on getting a balloon, staying in a hotel, and feeling the energy of the place. And you know what, some of those fancy and expensive signature dinners are a real let down. I don't believe for most of us that spending $300 on a meal makes that meal soooooo much better than grabbing a hot dog at Caseys, watching the kids happily stuff their faces and planning their next move. That's the good stuff. They will know how hard you tried FOR THEM, o be with them, o give them a fabulous magical vacation. I promise.

(I've been to WDW many times. I've travelled on a budget, and I've travelled high-end at Disney. And my favourite moment ever, was being lucky enough to ride Dumbo during the fireworks for several long minutes with my youngest two, and thinking, gosh, if this isn't just the most perfect Disney moment. I actually shed a tear at how grateful I was for that experience during our very first trip to WDW. I have no recollection of where we ate that day, or what souvenirs we bought. Just that magical moment.)

You got this!

Renting DVC will be very expensive for 7 nights in a two bedroom. Yes, it’s nice, but the savings for DVC is usually for studios. That will be a minimum of $1000 per night, depending on the deal you can find. $25/per point per night, 35 points/night at SSR.

either get two rooms at a value resort or consider renting a two bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek or a nearby timeshare for $1000-1500/week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter