Help! 1st trip to Myrtal Beach-Advise on planning & affordable activities

Corbin3

Mouseketeer
HELP! This is our first non-Disney vacation and our first ever trip to a beach. We are staying in Myrtal Beach the second week of September at Dunes Village. Anyone ever stayed here? I can't seem to find online if they have high speed internet in the rooms or not.

I have never done a beach vacation so am starting from scratch! What should I absolutely pack to bring along? Any must haves for a beach that you wish you'd brought or wouldn't do without?

Do you have to rent beach chairs & umbrellas there and if so is it a fortune? My husband said we could just sit on towels the whole time but I'm not so sure:) Do you bring your own beach towels or are the hotel towels good enough?

Also, any ideas on must do activities would be helpful. There's so much to do I want to make sure we spend our money on the right things! Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit panicked about this one!

I can tell you that you picked a great time to come! You can rent unbrellas and chairs for the day, but I do not remember the cost...maybe 25 or so? That could be totally off. I would not recommend sitting on towels though. The sand gets soooo hard after a while. How often do you plan on actually sitting on the beach? If a lot then I would look into bringing chairs or buying some cheap ones when you're here. I recommend the dinner shows if you haven't done them anywhere else--Dixie Stampede is my favorite, but there's also Medeival Times as well. Carolina Opry and the Alabama Theatre also have wonderful musical shows with comedy mixed in. Tons of putt putt courses and golf courses. Didn't even pay attention to whether or not you have kids coming with you, but there's family kingdom amusement park too. Very small but fun. There are two water parks on the strand as well. So much to do. I live here and it's a lot of fun! If you like alligators check out Alligator Adventure in North Myrtle. If you like sharks check out Ripleys Aquarium at Broadway at the Beach. Dont forget to check out restaurant.com for some great deals on eating out!

Thanks! Do you rent chairs/umbrellas from the hotel or from a rental company? My DS (8) will be with us and is sooo excited about going to a beach! He's hoping to find some good shells or some shark teeth:) We have water shoes we wear here at the pool. Are those good enough for the beach too? I'm such a newbie!

We've been to a Midevil times in Chicago once and loved it. Never been to a Dixie stampede so might have to try that out. My son loved the Hoop de do at Disney. I'll definately check out the other attractions you mentioned. I think alligators would be right up his alley. We all love any kind of animals.

Thanks for the tip on restaurant.com. Any good suggestions of where to eat? Also, I saw something online about a Myrtal beach VIP card that has discounts too. Is that worth the money to get? I'm sure we will be eating out a bit and will be doing lots of putt putt:) Thanks for your help!

Thanks! Do you rent chairs/umbrellas from the hotel or from a rental company? My DS (8) will be with us and is sooo excited about going to a beach! He's hoping to find some good shells or some shark teeth:) We have water shoes we wear here at the pool. Are those good enough for the beach too? I'm such a newbie!

We've been to a Midevil times in Chicago once and loved it. Never been to a Dixie stampede so might have to try that out. My son loved the Hoop de do at Disney. I'll definately check out the other attractions you mentioned. I think alligators would be right up his alley. We all love any kind of animals.

Thanks for the tip on restaurant.com. Any good suggestions of where to eat? Also, I saw something online about a Myrtal beach VIP card that has discounts too. Is that worth the money to get? I'm sure we will be eating out a bit and will be doing lots of putt putt:) Thanks for your help!

That is an awesome time to go! We usually go for a week in the beginning of September, but this year we are going to the Outer Banks instead! Then Disney in Oct!

We LOVE Myrtle! I would not rent chairs, but I would bring our own. We always go to Broadway at the Beach, do some shopping and get dinner. We have gone to Margaritaville and there is another restaurant we have been to a few times, I believe its called Liberty's... something like that. We always do pizza one night and get California Ultimate Pizza.... I LOVE LOVE their Hawaiian pizza! If you go to like a visitor center, grocery store or even hotel lobby.. grab all of the little coupons books. It will give you lots of ideas of things to do.

My family took our first trip to Myrtle Beach last March break. The weather didn't co-operate (it was quite chilly) but we had so much fun anyways.

We also stayed at Dunes village. It was a great resort. Make sure that you check out the daily activities schedule. There were so many things for kids to do - crafts, games, face painting, movie day, and board game times (some of the crafts cost a couple of bucks)

My DD really enjoyed magiQuest. A video game/ adventure activity located at Broadway on The Beach (near the aquarium and Margaritaville)

We all had a great time shopping. We found some really good deals at the outlet mall.

Although it was too cold to swim in the ocean, we had fun just walking in the waves and finding shells and shark teeth.

It was one of our favorite vacations

If you want to rent umbrellas/chairs, you will do so from the lifeguards. We haven't rented in two years, so not sure of the cost. Three years ago, I think it was $100-125 for the week with two chairs. The chairs are nice, but do not recline so you can lay on your stomach - if you are working on your tan.

We also have an umbrella that we bought and take it each year along with beach chairs. Our extended family of 13 goes each year, so we need more room than one umbrella will afford.

We didn't go last year because we were saving our vacation time for the adoption of our son and this year, we had our son and he preferred spending time at the pool and waterpark at our place, so we didn't rent.

There is a new ropes course at Broadway at the Beach and an Imagination Works is also being built. The ropes course is very reasonable, but not sure of the ages. Ripley's Aquarium is great.

The Tanger Outlets on Hwy 17 are great. That is where you will find the Disney Store. There is also a Tanger on Hwy 501, but it is not as big. If you like Coach purses, there is one at both outlets.

There are also some great cruises out of Merrells Inlet - there are dolphin tours and also one takes you to an island to hunt for shells. I highly recommend Capt. Dick's for these cruises.

Have a great time. We are heading back down in October.

Great tips! We are flying so I don't think we can bring chairs or umbrellas with us. I wish we could as I'm sure it's much cheaper to bring your own. Thanks for the info on the cruises! I love dolphins, are there many around in this area?
My son would love the shelling cruise. Wait till I tell him you can actually find Sharks teeth!

I love dunes village AWESOME choice. Dont bother renting an umbrella. The resort has them available usually.

Our favorite things to do at MYB.

1. eat at River City Cafe. YUM The fries are amazing dipped in ranch.

2. broadway at the beach/barefoot landing.

3. miniature golf

4. calabash seafood. Our favorite is "Big Giant Crab" . Use a coupon. Go right when they open. YUM.

Just a note about the sharks teeth.

We found lot but only after someone told us what to look for - shiny black triangles. DD & I thought they were just broken pieces of black shells.

You can find pictures online before going or I am sure some one down there would be happy to show you.

There is a restaurant that used to have certificates at restaurant.com called Thorny's Steakhouse, it is so good.

There is a pizza buffet called The Filling Station that I would also recommend.

There are two shopping type centers with different stores/places to eat. One is called Broadway on the beach and the other is Barefoot Landing. Both are a nice way to spend the evening, just walking around and looking at the different shops.

we just came back from Myrtle Beach!! We didnt do any of the dinner shows, but we did go to Alligator Adventure. Your son will love it, more alligators and snakes then we have seen at other small zoo type places.
Right now the water is so warm, I am sure by Sept, it will still be great swimming weather.
try to get up early to go to the beach at sunrise...it is beautiful!! I was there just yesterday morning and saw small fish being washed close to shore and they were leaping back into the deeper water. I then saw a small shark fin close to shore!! The shark I am sure was coming in to get the fish!! That was so cool to see.

Westayed at the Seamist, and you could rent the chairs and umbrellas from the lifeguards for $35 a day or $80 FOR 4 I think it was. We drove so we brought our own beach stuff. I say see how hot it is, this past week, you really couldn't be in the sun for long without shade.
your son will need at least one pail and shovel to play with in the sand
you will need to bring your own beach towels.

I enjoyed Huntington Beach SP, touring the Atayla was interesting (and only a dollar). Wish I would of gone to Brookgreen Gardens. I remember seeing on a website for SC state parks that MB state park offered kayaking, crabbing and other programs for very little money. We went deep sea fishing and enjoyed it. We got a certificate for House of Blues off restaurant dot com and used it, the ribs were delicious. Have fun!

House of Blues has some great concerts also.

The new Boardwalk is nice to walk down and has brought a new life to the area since the Pavillion was torn down. They have events there and also have vendors from time to time.

There were some shark reports within the last month, but we got a message over the weekend that they are not at shore right now. Usually small, sand sharks. The lifeguards are very aware of this and will clear the water if needed.

A good way to look for shark's teeth is to find what looks like the fine pieces of broken shells and then sift through them with a plastic "sifter" you can find at the beach stores or WalMart. Our nephews used to look for them all the time, but they have outgrown that now.

If you like mall shopping, Grand Coastal is great.

Have fun!

There were some shark reports within the last month, but we got a message over the weekend that they are not at shore right now. Usually small, sand sharks. The lifeguards are very aware of this and will clear the water if needed.

As I said, I did see a shark fin real close to shore early Sunday morning. It was going after the small fish that were even closer to the shore. Only saw one and he was on the move, so they are still around.

Sharks are definitely still out. A 10 year old was bit last week by a black tipped shark. He's OK, but just stay away from all piers when getting in the ocean and just be aware that they are out there. I would recommend Cagneys for steak, anything in Calabash for seafood and HOB at Barefoot landing. HOB even has a coupon on restaurant.com now. There are sooo many good restaurants its a bit overwhelming honestly, even for us locals! Great buffet is Captain Georges in MB for the Giant Crab in restaurant row. Enjoy yourself!! Water shoes are a great idea for the beach as well as you mentioned. The sand can burn you!

We're planning on a weekend away in Myrtle Beach in august- need a relaxing getaway for the kids before I have surgery. We're staying at Sea Crest and getting an inclusive package that includes round of putt-putt, family wonderland entrance (once to the amusement park and daily to water park), aquarium tickets and breakfast. How close is the boardwalk? What would be the best place for golf so DH can go one morning while I laze at the pools with the kids?

We'll have a kitchen, but I like to hear about restaurants. Are there any Chili's nearby or other like restaurants? Dh & my kids won't do seafood unfortunately so may need to look to more everyday restaurant fare.

Thanks!

There's a lot of fun stuff to do in Myrtle Beach, we were just there and will vacation there again next summer. For next summer, we will definately have to decide ahead of time what activities our kids will do and stick with it. All the little activities (we have 3 kids) can add up very quickly. Especially at Broadway on the Beach. The ropes course was $11.99 plus tax per person, or $19.99 per person for the zipline. You can combine them for $26.99 plus tax per person. Add in the aquarium, maybe some rides or Magiquest, mini golf, some shopping, a meal and some ice cream, and it gets expensive quickly.

A great budget tip, is we were at Barefoot Landing, and at the information kiosks, they were selling tickets for many of the area shows at steep discounts.

There are tons of Eagles and Wings beach stores around the Myrtle Beach area for inexpensive beach items like umbrellas, chairs, skim boards, beachwear, souvenirs, etc. You can go on line and get coupons before you go or they have coupons inside the coupon books you can find everywhere in MB and get some cheap souvenirs.

I agree with Alligator Adventure. We took a dolphin cruise out of Calabash, just over the border into North Carolina. My kids got hooked on MagiQuest. We now have one here at the Mall of America and we'll go to the one in the Dells next month.
Mini golf everywhere. I heard that Mt. Atlanticus is suppose to be the best.

Eat at The Filling Station, if Isaac is working that day you are in for a real treat. I have never seen anyone enjoy their job more than him, or have I seen anyone bus a table as fast. He's even on Youtube.

One thing you will find is that there is literally a beach shop on every corner in MB. Buy your beach towels there and you have an instant souvenior. They also have rather cheap umbrella and chair options that you may not be too upset to leave behind or donate to a family checking in.

HELP! This is our first non-Disney vacation and our first ever trip to a beach. We are staying in Myrtal Beach the second week of September at Dunes Village. Anyone ever stayed here? I can't seem to find online if they have high speed internet in the rooms or not.

Dunes Village does have Wi-Fi. It's a great resort. I live about 30 minutes away but take the kids there for a long weekend every winter, the indoor water stuff is wonderful.

I have never done a beach vacation so am starting from scratch! What should I absolutely pack to bring along? Any must haves for a beach that you wish you'd brought or wouldn't do without?

Do you have to rent beach chairs & umbrellas there and if so is it a fortune? My husband said we could just sit on towels the whole time but I'm not so sure:) Do you bring your own beach towels or are the hotel towels good enough?

Like another poster said, you can pick up cheap chairs ($10-$20 each) and just leave them at the resort. Leave a note for housekeeping that they can have them.

Also, any ideas on must do activities would be helpful. There's so much to do I want to make sure we spend our money on the right things! Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit panicked about this one!

There is alot to do and it can get expensive. Definitely check the coupon books for putt-putt and restaurant discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter