Help - Booking flight & Passport needs renewal

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
If I remember correctly, when booking flights you need to provide your Passport Number.
I just checked all our passports and I believe two of them need to be renewed.
I keep hearing your passport has to be valid 6 months after your trip date.
Our trip dates are Sept 16-24, 2024 but the passports expire Feb 10, 2025 - less than 5 months

So how does it work with the Airline if I book the flights now; send the paperwork in for the passports; and get assigned new Passport Numbers? Does the airline care if the Passort Number is different? Does it make a difference? Do I need to update the tickets somehow?

I checked my daughter's old passport and her new one, and she was given a new Passport Number on her new Passport.

I’ve used a different number when booking vs when I actually took the flight. It wasn’t a big deal. When n you check in for flight it will ask if you want to edit the number. This is on United.

You can change at check-in and, frankly, they won't care if they are different to the number of the passport you actually show. When traveling for work, I travel on a UNLP (a passport-like thing from the UN for UN staff) but almost no airline lets me enter that online, so I enter my national passport but then use my UNLP (since it has my visa in it and/or exempts me from needing one) when actually traveling.

Yes - you'll get a new number for your new passport (even if just renewing your passport).

The 6 months also depends on where you are travelling to. If you are going to the US it isn't relevant for a Canadian passport, it only has to be valid for the duration of the visit. Other countries may vary.

Thank you! That eases my mind. I was reluctant to start purchasing the flight tickets when I realized the 2 passports need to be renewed.

Yes, hdrolfe, it is for a trip to the States, to Disney World. The 6 month rule is not relevant for trips to the States then?

I'm 99% sure you don't need to enter your passport number when booking the flight. Because I last booked a flight at work and I didn't have my passport with me! Possibly at check in?

Thank you! That eases my mind. I was reluctant to start purchasing the flight tickets when I realized the 2 passports need to be renewed.

Yes, hdrolfe, it is for a trip to the States, to Disney World. The 6 month rule is not relevant for trips to the States then?
Correct the USA does not need to be 6 months,,,,just valid for your trip

They do not ask for Passport when booking a flight. It is upon check in. For the US your passport just needs to be valid for the dates of your trip.

Also, if you are just renewing, your name just needs to match your passport, which never changes until you are getting brand new one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter