HELP!!!! Keurig CRAWLING with....

I'm currently working on the vinegar de-scaling and have cleared a space in a high cupboard where it can live when I'm not using it.

I use it every day which it will be a pain to get down/put away, but oh well...

At least until the ant problem passes.....

Ants have taken over my Platinum Keurig as well.

My Keurig stopped working so I thought that I would open it and see what was going on inside. It would say brewing but then nothing would happen. Anyway opened it up, saw a few ants, sprayed them with some bleach water and thought that was the end of it. Saw that there was some dampness inside. Decided to get the blow dryer and that is when it got interesting.

Ants started coming from everywhere. :scared1: I sprayed them as they came out but finally gave up, double bagged them in contractor bags. The big black ones and then put it outside.

I looked in it a couple of times as I was trying to decide what to do and not cry at my $200 coffee pot being invaded and saw that the ants were moving little eggs. Yes there was an ant colony in my keurig.

I did a google search and apparently this is an ongoing problem with Keurig machines. I found a bunch of people with the same problem. I called Keurig and am expecting a call back tomorrow. My Keurig is less than a year old so hopefully I can ship it back or something.

In the meanwhile I got a brilliant idea from my dad. The Keurig is now triple bagged in my freezer that I never use in the basement. If nothing else, ants will suffer and die by morning. I may not get my Keurig back but they will not win either.

Oh. Holy. Night.

You guys are creeping me out!!! DH bought a Keurig about 3 months ago and we love it. I'm about to gag at the thought of ants living in it!

My saga still continues. I moved my Keurig to my upstairs bathroom vanity which I can't decide is really gross or really cool!

I'm still getting ants, though. They seem to have followed. I run plain hot water daily and while it's declined, there's still the stray critter. They seem to be liking the drip tray and not the internal machine (water is coming out clean).

I think the next step is to have the house sprayed. This Keurig is getting pricey!

My keurig is infested!!!! I've been away on fall break and I returned to the water chamber filled with ants carrying little white eggs!

I've run the water through it, but I can still hear water in their. I searched ants in key rigs and found out how common this is! I'm freaked, I bet there is a colony in there! I'm trying the hair dryer tomorrow.

A year ago, I had a problem with ants in my garbage disposal/dishwasher. I tried everything, bleach, hot water. The ONLY thing that worked was Borax. I haven't had one back since.

WOW! I've never heard of this before! Both my parents and I have owned Keurigs for about two years and luckily this hasn't happened yet. But now I feel compelled to take it apart and make sure!

Just out of curiosity, the people who have had this problem - do you leave water in your water reservoir all the time? Do you regularly clean the coffee grinds out of where you insert the k-cup? NOT saying these could be the reasons, but I'm just curious as to any consistencies (if any) that could be causing such a thing!

I have a Keurig which sits on the counter unplugged and is never used... I'll gladly donate it if somebody wants it. I will never be using it again now thanks to this thread lol... I've had it 2 years and NEVER have seen an ant in it (thank god!)

Out of curiousity, are these the Keurig machines that have a water reservoir attached to the side? We have a small hotel type that you have to add the cup of water each time you use it.

We have ants come and go throughout the year in most of the house. We live in farm country so we have quite a few ant baits. Have never had ants near the coffee station. It's on a free standing table near (not touching) the counter.

I will keep a close eye on our machine, but as others have said, they may be attracted to the heat and water. :crazy2:

I'm a radio tech, so when I finally figured out these little things were coming from my Keurig. I started tearing it apart on my kitchen floor. Yeah my wife is pissed, lol. So far I've torn the thing down to the main core, and found this in the power relay casing. Hundreds if not more of eggs upon eggs. Yuck. Seems the heat from leaving it plugged I'm and a healthy supply of water nearby attracts them. Going to finish disassemble and put all the plastic in the dishwasher. Hey if anything I can use the water pumping motor and build a nice table waterfall. Darn won't let me post a pic. Let's try

tinypic.com/r/2uhmzau/8

I also found a second hive in the top button controller and even worse a hive of eggs inside the hot water boiling tank. Ugh!

Eewww. I have been seriously considering finally purchasing a keurig and retire my old coffee pot. I think I will stick with my old stand by.

I'm a radio tech, so when I finally figured out these little things were coming from my Keurig. I started tearing it apart on my kitchen floor. Yeah my wife is pissed, lol. So far I've torn the thing down to the main core, and found this in the power relay casing. Hundreds if not more of eggs upon eggs. Yuck. Seems the heat from leaving it plugged I'm and a healthy supply of water nearby attracts them. Going to finish disassemble and put all the plastic in the dishwasher. Hey if anything I can use the water pumping motor and build a nice table waterfall. Darn won't let me post a pic. Let's try

tinypic.com/r/2uhmzau/8

I also found a second hive in the top button controller and even worse a hive of eggs inside the hot water boiling tank. Ugh!

Wow - just wow!

Nice pick.

Am I missing something? Why was this posted here?

And why/how was it dragged from the depths of 2011?
I don't know if it's an "urban legend" or something like that, but I have seen this same topic/post over the years in many different areas/topics/forums, usually with nothing whatsoever to do with where it's posted.

I can personally verify that this is not "urban legend".

A couple of weeks ago, I started seeing tiny little ants in the kitchen. We call them ghost ants.

I was waiting until Monday to call the exterminator when I moved the Keurig to wipe behind it. There were hundreds of these tiny ants behind it.

I removed the drip tray and there must have been thousands of these tiny ants coming out of the machine.

The entire thing went outside where we hosed it off and bagged it for the garbage.

When doing research to see if anyone else had this problem (and they did), this thread came up in my google search.

I'm guessing this is why the revival. I actually forgot that there was a thread here.

We had talked on the Podcast about how we LOVED our Keurig, so there were several threads about how they worked, which model was best etc. We eventually convinced Kathy that she needed one. There was even a K-cup swap thread I believe.

As we had thrown out the infested machine, we went out and bought the Keurig 2.0....which we hated and gave away.

We are currently the proud owners of a Cuisinart coffee maker that uses the K-cups.

So...long story even longer....this really happens and this thread is totally legit and belongs here on the Podcast Board.

Last edited:
I can personally verify that this is not "urban legend".

Wow, sorry Kevin. Like I said, I know I've seen posts similar to this over the course of several years, and almost always in "weird/unrelated" places, so wasn't sure what was going on. Anyway - I love Keurigs, and yes - I remember you/John talking about how much you liked yours in the past - glad you now have another brand you love. I was lucky enough to have someone supply one at work which I loved, and then somebody "gifted" me with a single cup one at home when they moved up to a larger size. Hope it doesn't end up with ants in it though. I get ants here in the spring time (little pones, maybe like the ones you're calling ghost ants) and early summer a lot, probably due to the fact I am in a flood zone. I've also had the bigger black carpenter ants, probably due to the age of the apartments, and again - flood zone. Glad you solved your problem.

Last edited:
My $15 french press has never had ants in it (thanks for ruining me Kona Cafe). After reading this I am afraid to break my Keurig out of storage.

Kathy loves her k-cups!

We don't have Keurig's here, we have Nespresso machines (among other brands with differently shaped pods) and I love mine! They get quite pricey, but I got one of the lower end ones and it's fab for me (DH doesn't do coffee) and after reading this thread, I'll die if it ends up with ants inside it!! I hate those infesting little buggers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter