"Help me choose a paint color" picture thread

Ok here's the paint dilema of the day....I'm ready to start the tray ceiling. You've all inspired me, thank you! I'm going to try 1-2 coats of the Haycock, then add some sort of finish with the metallic bronze glaze I have. However - part of the tray ceiling is above the bed. I'm too short to stand on the bed to reach it. Moving the bed is not an option - when I did the walls it took 4 adults to slide it 15 inches - and that was difficult. It's a massive bed. Even if I did move it, part of it will always be under the tray ceiling. I can't just put a bench on the bed, it's too unstable. I can do the Haycocok with an extension rod but I need to be up close to tape, trim & apply the metallic finish. I don't have 2 ladders to put on each side of the bed to run a board across either. DH won't help, nor would I want him to! Any suggestions?? :confused3

elizke - thanks for starting this thread. I have just spent the last nine months impatiently waiting to be able to paint my walls. I replaced my childhood home with a new one and the contractor suggested I wait 9-12 months before painting to let the house settle.

I just picked up some of Benjamin Moore's color sample jars and was going to start slapping different colors in a couple of rooms, tonight in fact. There are just too many options! I picked a pale gray for my kitchen - gray floors, black counters and appliances, and oak cabinets. But after seeing your apple red, I may just have to try a sample of that. I love it!

TaraPA - I was going to go with cream trim every where, but you are right, the bright white does pop!

I am so glad I saw everyone's colors before I made any final decisions. I will be rethinking a lot of my choices.

Thanks!
This is what I did, too, plus I bought fan decks of sample colors off of ebay.

Our builder used Sherwin Williams, but I prefer Benjamin Moore paint. I have taken a color sample "tile" from SW to color match at Benjamin Moore.

TaraPA, you may need scaffolding or at least a ladder than can be set in scaffold mode.

I am glad you posted your Melted Butter walls. Beautiful!

Can you tell me how you taped and "cut in" in the color? I am thinking of doing our foyer ourselves, but I am scared of ladders and scaffolding :scared: .

Sorry for the delay in responding.

We used a 26 ft extension pole. To cut in we used the square pad you normally use for edging. I stood at the top of the stairs with a paint bucket while dh remained on the bottom floor. My job was to put paint on the edging pad since the pole was so long dh could not do this himself. Once the edging was done, he attached a roller and finished.

DSCN1028.jpg

Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage

Sorry for the delay in responding.

We used a 26 ft extension pole. To cut in we used the square pad you normally use for edging. I stood at the top of the stairs with a paint bucket while dh remained on the bottom floor. My job was to put paint on the edging pad since the pole was so long dh could not do this himself. Once the edging was done, he attached a roller and finished.

Thank you. I worked in home improvement for a number of years and didn't think about doing it myself. Actually, I wanted to just hire someone to do it for me. lol

I think you saved my about $1,500. ;) (Which is what the painter wanted :headache: )

Hi All!

I'm new to this board, and reside in suburbs outside of Philadelphia, with my husband, our 3 cats, and 2 horses.

We are currently trying to make a decision on paint color to complement a new Restoration Hardware bedding ensemble we purchased, and really like the Haycock that has been shown on this forum.

I am trying to order a sample of it online from Sherwin Williams, but it is not recognizing "Haycock" in the system. Does anyone have the number?

Am I right that it is indeed a SW color?

Thanks!

Lori

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I missed it the first time around!

BM Decatur Buff from their Historical Collection - almost takes on a green-ish gold color at times. I have forrest green drapes so maybe that's why.

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

We used Decatur Buff in our new children's building at church in the classrooms. It's a nice warm neutral and looks great with bright colored kids stuff. It looks fabulous in a house, too!

Jumping in late in the game...

We have used a wide variety of paint brands and keep coming back to American Tradition from Lowes, which I believe is now Valspar. Best coverage for the money and it colormatches great to any brand.

Our bedroom, this is the 2nd color we've done. It's Colonial Beige by Valspar

47b8dc26b3127cceb49b139d2fe600000026108Absmzdy4bt1

Gotta love the stand fan :rotfl:
47b7db09b3127cce84218bd976c800000026108Absmzdy4bt1

Here is our master bath, which was a color match to some bedding I loved.

47b7db09b3127cce84206137d72f00000035138Absmzdy4bt1

47b6d711b3127cce8d1a370d1fa800000025138Absmzdy4bt1

Looks like two different colors with different lighting, doesn't it?

Powder room - swiss chocolate by American Tradition. We had this on our bedroom walls for about a year, too. Beautiful but I got tired of it in there.

Sorry I didn't put the seat down first... ooops.

47b6d711b3127cce8d1a3b111fb200000025138Absmzdy4bt1

This is our dining room, and quite possibly my favorite color in the house. It's Ocean Storm by American Tradition.

47b7db09b3127cce842055ae569c00000026108Absmzdy4bt1

47b7db24b3127cce83e45bfa89ef00000016108Absmzdy4bt1

Guest room upstairs - it is REALLY not this bright in person, I promise. It's a very rich red. I can't find the paint can right this second to tell you what color it is.

47b7d929b3127cce86bec72e3e3400000026108Absmzdy4bt1

Living Room - color also goes through dining room some. It's Mountain Trail by Olympic.

47b7db09b3127cce842055c7d7c500000026108Absmzdy4bt1

And Kitchen/breakfast nook - connects to living room. This is Bordeaux by Olympic.

47b6db24b3127cce888f65efdf6d00000016108Absmzdy4bt1

47b6db24b3127cce888f6537dfb500000025138Absmzdy4bt1

Hey Disney Doll. If your talking about my drapes, the lighter color actually matches the walls. The angle of the camera and the light does make it look lighter than what it really is. I will try to take a better picture tomorrow.
Actually, I was looking at the pics of her drapes that the OP posted. They appear to be brown with a gold-ish design in them. I'd pick up the gold.

I do love that Gourd color that you have too though. That might work with the OP's drapes, dependin on what that lighter color is.

You have a beautiful home. Where I live, your house would probably $750K-$1 million.

Rethinking everything? Oh dear....:)

I am finding it so helpful to see all the colors too! I'm so glad people are willing to post these pics.

Your kitchen sounds nice. I love grey toned floors. I am stuck with beige floors, but if I had been able to choose they'd be grey.
I have a gray rug in my bedroom with cherry furniture that has brushed nickel knobs and it looks so pretty!!!!

Hi All!

I'm new to this board, and reside in suburbs outside of Philadelphia, with my husband, our 3 cats, and 2 horses.

We are currently trying to make a decision on paint color to complement a new Restoration Hardware bedding ensemble we purchased, and really like the Haycock that has been shown on this forum.

I am trying to order a sample of it online from Sherwin Williams, but it is not recognizing "Haycock" in the system. Does anyone have the number?

Am I right that it is indeed a SW color?

Thanks!

Lori

I, too, found this discussion a couple of days ago searching for pictures of paint colors to try out. I went to a Sherwin Williams store to get samples and discovered that Haycock is actually Hopsack and it's right below the Latte color on the same paint strip.

Love the Latte paint sample I put up in my sitting room. Not too sure about Hopsack. Probably because my house gets less natural light than the house previously pictured.

Kind of hard to see in the background- plus I have a picture that I was waiting to hang up, but this is our living room. DH is a contractor, so we change paint colors all the time :rotfl2: The colors are from Sherwin Williams- I know the red is called brick something and the top color- a gold/tannish color- is callled bagel.

100_2961.jpg

Actually, I was looking at the pics of her drapes that the OP posted. They appear to be brown with a gold-ish design in them. I'd pick up the gold.

I do love that Gourd color that you have too though. That might work with the OP's drapes, dependin on what that lighter color is.

You have a beautiful home. Where I live, your house would probably $750K-$1 million.

Wow, that blows my mind.

It's been a while, and this thread sort of faded away, but I did finally choose a color and I am very happy with it. It's similar to the color that TaraP posted. I never could find the Haycock brown, but this is Benjamin Moore "Coppertone". The pictures don't show it accurately, but it's close. Looks more brown when it's dark or cloudy, more orangy when it's sunny.

We hired painters for this and I'm so glad, with the heights. I still need to hang pictures, but at least I've already chosen the color for the upper hallway. (A deep green. )
273485471_kr6id-L.jpg

273483923_UA5fx-L.jpg

273484853_w3nQR-L-1.jpg

Anyone else make a choice to show? I have a lot more rooms to choose color for! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter