Help me convince my kids to fly into SNA instead of LAX

Ultimately if they are paying (and you don't have to pick them up) it is their call. Part of that letting-them-adult. But I always price the total with ground transport.

The only reason I wouldn't favor SNA would be if there was only one flight per day between the two airports and if it got delayed/canceled would ruin the trip. Or if as a PP said the time/routing was much worse with layover.

I went to LAX twice last month. Sunday night it was a 1-mph-inch-along nightmare. Thursday afternoon we breezed in and out. Much wider range of experiences with such a large airport.

PHXscuba
Yeah, they're coming from Seattle, most likely on Alaska Airlines, and there's a good range of other flights available if there's any problems. Also I'd never schedule a layover on that trip, regardless of how cheap it was-- nor a red-eye. Direct flight or nothing, baby.

They are paying (eventually, that is; I'm picking up the flights but they'll pay us back in a month or two). Also we will already be there and without a car, so they'll be paying for the Uber or whatever transportation they decide on.
I think when we next see them in person, probably on Easter, I'll just explain more fully my reasoning, and DSIL will probably see what I mean. If he still seems reluctant, I certainly won't push for it. He's a nice guy and appreciative of the fact that we are not the interfering type of in-laws-- his own parents are much more inclined to tell him how to run his life, and he has told us often that he appreciates our willingness to trust their judgement.

I really appreciate all the opinions and good advice given here!

It’s taken me almost an hour to get to sna.

I find lax to be simple for the traveler, and the drive is almost always better than I expect.

And my flights to/from sna always seem to be at the furthest away gate down those stairs and requiring me to walk across the tarmac. I don’t love that.
Ok, thanks, Bumber, that makes me feel better. DH, DD21 and DD17 and I are flying into LAX because for our days, I couldn't justify the price difference. You and the others here who have said their LAX experience wasn't that bad, are making me hope our LAX experience won't be too terrible. That said, I'm thinking about springing some extra bucks for Lansky's instead of just an Uber, to make it a bit more relaxed experience.

I've flown through both and I would gladly pay an extra $8 to avoid LAX. SNA is much easier to navigate and quicker to get through.

Also, don't forget about how much more fun you have due to the short runway and noise restrictions. When you land, it is a quick stop, and when you depart, you take off at full power and climb at a steep angle.

Ultimately if they are paying (and you don't have to pick them up) it is their call. Part of that letting-them-adult. But I always price the total with ground transport.

The only reason I wouldn't favor SNA would be if there was only one flight per day between the two airports and if it got delayed/canceled would ruin the trip. Or if as a PP said the time/routing was much worse with layover.

I went to LAX twice last month. Sunday night it was a 1-mph-inch-along nightmare. Thursday afternoon we breezed in and out. Much wider range of experiences with such a large airport.

PHXscuba

Night time is always a nightmare, due to all the international and red eyes going out. And I have found Sunday to be the worst of all. I fly into/out of LAX a lot, often on red eyes, clearly.

is this question real life? I guess there's something to be said for the fact that if you don't have small kids, you don't have to lug all your carryon crap PLUS carseats/stroller and wrangle kids to multiple terminals, and then endure a bus to offsite rentals, and then an hour drive it's not terrible...but still. We only fly into LAX if it's at least $75/ticket cheaper. And even then we consider if the flight schedule makes it worth it. It's orange county for crying out loud, not some municipal airport in the middle of idaho. And I live in boise, I know what those are like!

is this question real life?
Um... yes? If you read my OP, I mentioned it's my 24 y.o. daughter and her DH. No kids. Pretty sure they'll just have carryons, like we do, and no car rental, just Uber.

I don't really blame my son-in-law for being cautious about an unknown airport. He lived in CA when he was younger, and flew in and out of LAX a lot to visit grandparents. I guess he's just more comfortable with what he's familiar with. So far our communication about this has been via text through my daughter, who relayed his hesitation. So next time they're over, I'll give them a bit more information that I've gleaned about the current differences, and my own positive experiences using SNA 4 times before, and leave the (hopefully somewhat better informed) decision up to them.

We come from a long way away so can only fly in to LAX (or SFO) - first visit in 2013 LAC truly lived up to it’s reputation as a foul place. AirNZ we’re flying in and out of T2, immigration was dingy and crowded, and check in going home had lines out the door and no space for anything.

Following visits have been in and out of TBIT and our experiences there have been fantastic, though immigration is usually at least an hour. We also took a domestic Delta flight leaving T2 and that had improved significantly with much better check in and security processes.

In saying all that if there was a direct option to SNA at the same price that is a no brainer. If there is a stopover to SNA vs direct to LAX, that changes the balance a bit.

Yeah, they're coming from Seattle, most likely on Alaska Airlines, and there's a good range of other flights available if there's any problems. Also I'd never schedule a layover on that trip, regardless of how cheap it was-- nor a red-eye. Direct flight or nothing, baby.

They are paying (eventually, that is; I'm picking up the flights but they'll pay us back in a month or two). Also we will already be there and without a car, so they'll be paying for the Uber or whatever transportation they decide on.
I think when we next see them in person, probably on Easter, I'll just explain more fully my reasoning, and DSIL will probably see what I mean. If he still seems reluctant, I certainly won't push for it. He's a nice guy and appreciative of the fact that we are not the interfering type of in-laws-- his own parents are much more inclined to tell him how to run his life, and he has told us often that he appreciates our willingness to trust their judgement.

just to add more confusion to the situation; have you tried pricing out seattle to long beach? Sometimes it comes in cheaper than sna or lax. I agree with the PP who said to include ground transportation in the total cost so you can really compare prices.

Sorry if I missed it, but is LAX nonstop and SNA has a layover? We opted for LAX over SNA for our May trip, but we're coming from the east coast and could get a nonstop LAX flight. Even with the longer commute, we save time with shorter overall travel time and better flight times as well (mid-morning rather than 6am).

Um... yes? If you read my OP, I mentioned it's my 24 y.o. daughter and her DH. No kids. Pretty sure they'll just have carryons, like we do, and no car rental, just Uber.

I don't really blame my son-in-law for being cautious about an unknown airport. He lived in CA when he was younger, and flew in and out of LAX a lot to visit grandparents. I guess he's just more comfortable with what he's familiar with. So far our communication about this has been via text through my daughter, who relayed his hesitation. So next time they're over, I'll give them a bit more information that I've gleaned about the current differences, and my own positive experiences using SNA 4 times before, and leave the (hopefully somewhat better informed) decision up to them.

Honestly, I would stop trying to convince them. They're adults and can do what they want. I know you're actually just trying to be helpful. I also know that if it were me, continued pushing to one direction would do nothing but make me more likely to NOT choose that. Just let them make their own decisions.

Here's what the fare estimators just gave me for LAX-DLH & SNA-DLH (picked that hotel for the estimate). This is NOT surge pricing. I don't know what that would add. The first 2 are LAX, next 2 SNA.

I love SNA; small, clean, easy in and out. I didn't have a bad experience at LAX with domestic travel but it can be a royal pain to get in and out of there.

Just to summarize the basic fare for each, it breaks down for non-surge as:
LAX-DLR: $44-58 Uber, $50-60 Lyft
SNA-DLR: $22-29 Uber, $24-28 Lyft

So roughly $50 more from LAX round trip. At a peak time, much higher, I would guess.

Attachments

• uber lax.JPG
    uber lax.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 1
  • lyft estimate la.JPG
    lyft estimate la.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1
  • uber sna.JPG
    uber sna.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 1
  • lyft sna.JPG
    lyft sna.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'll just explain more fully my reasoning, and DSIL will probably see what I mean. If he still seems reluctant, I certainly won't push for it. He's a nice guy and appreciative of the fact that we are not the interfering type of in-laws-- his own parents are much more inclined to tell him how to run his life, and he has told us often that he appreciates our willingness to trust their judgement.

I would probably just drop it, since it doesn't really affect your trip. He seems like he has his mind set and really isn't interested in SNA.

I just want to add my dislike of LAX. Unfortunately, the one airline out of our very small area only flies to LAX, and I prefer to drive 6 hours over dealing with it.

To answer a few of the recent responses, yes, they’re both direct flights, no layovers, similar times. I have priced out the Uber costs. I have checked LGB and it’s costing more this time.
I’m not “pushing” them; the exchange so far consists of one text with my daughter where she said her DH is more comfortable with LAX. I said, “OK, cool, I’ll put a watch on those flights and snag them if the price drops in the next few weeks.” So after continuing to watch, I think I will make one more appeal when they’re over here for dinner, just presenting the different options with prices and transportation options, then go with their choice. Should be fine. :thumbsup2

To answer a few of the recent responses, yes, they’re both direct flights, no layovers, similar times. I have priced out the Uber costs. I have checked LGB and it’s costing more this time.
I’m not “pushing” them; the exchange so far consists of one text with my daughter where she said her DH is more comfortable with LAX. I said, “OK, cool, I’ll put a watch on those flights and snag them if the price drops in the next few weeks.” So after continuing to watch, I think I will make one more appeal when they’re over here for dinner, just presenting the different options with prices and transportation options, then go with their choice. Should be fine. :thumbsup2

Wait, so they aren't booking it themselves? In that case, just book them into SNA and tell them that's what they are doing. If they want full adult autonomy, they should book their own flights.

LAX is doing construction and just shut down a bunch of lanes around Terminal 3, which I think will affect pretty much any cars that need to go through there. I haven't flown through SNA but LGB is great, if you can get direct flights.
Thank you for posting this because I was totally going to. OP, this would be the most convincing argument to me. The construction at Terminal 3 is going to make things a lot worse at LAX and news stations all over SoCal are warning people about it. If your DD and DSIL can avoid flying into LAX, they definitely should. Even though they may not be flying into that terminal, it will affect everything else and especially the traffic for the entire airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter