Help me convince my kids to fly into SNA instead of LAX

Ideally they could fly in to LAX and out of SNA, thus realizing how foolish their preference is.

The first time my dad visited me in LA, he declined my offer to plan his travel and proceeded to buy a ticket on Spirit Air into LAX at 5pm on a Friday! I spent 4 hours in the car picking him up and he ended up spending more money than he predicted due to Spirit's hidden costs. Now he asks for my help every time, but he had to learn the lesson himself.

EDT: My airport preferences for DLR would be SNA>LGB->ONT>LAX

I need some quotes from you guys that tell me how miserable LAX is compared to SNA.

It's not the airport, it's the traffic! It could be a difference in 2 hours and those are stressful hours, not just hanging out.

Wait, so they aren't booking it themselves? In that case, just book them into SNA and tell them that's what they are doing. If they want full adult autonomy, they should book their own flights.
Well, they’re actually quite good at adulting, and perfectly capable of booking themselves. In fact right now they are on their first overseas visit, kind of a short second honeymoon of 5 days in Vienna. My daughter is a chip off the ol’ block and did all the planning and booking herself. It’s just that because of saving up a long time to pay for Vienna, they’re short of money to pay for their DLR flights. I offered to do it for them and pay for them; they are very reliable and will pay us back in a couple months. DD knows I’m very familiar with DL flights and trusts me to research them. Her DH is still figuring that part out.

Well, they’re actually quite good at adulting, and perfectly capable of booking themselves. In fact right now they are on their first overseas visit, kind of a short second honeymoon of 5 days in Vienna. My daughter is a chip off the ol’ block and did all the planning and booking herself. It’s just that because of saving up a long time to pay for Vienna, they’re short of money to pay for their DLR flights. I offered to do it for them and pay for them; they are very reliable and will pay us back in a couple months. DD knows I’m very familiar with DL flights and trusts me to research them. Her DH is still figuring that part out.

I wasn't implying that your daughter and SIL weren't capable of "adulting." But, I also never borrowed money from my parents after I got married (at age 22)...that's what credit cards were for. If we didn't have the money right away, we would charge it and pay it off later, and pay interest, because that's what adults do when they want to do something they can't afford. So, if I had tasked my parents to make my flight arrangements and they were fronting the money for the tickets, that last thing I would do is be picky about which airport I flew into...that's all I'm saying. Not that it really matters, because you aren't picking them up anyway, so it's no hassle for you.

Also, this is your daughter and your son in law is the one being picky about this? But YOU are paying for the tickets upfront? Why does his opinion count here again? Sometimes when someone is being unreasonable just for the sake of being unreasonable, you have to call them out on it. He just flew to VIENNA but he is worried about SNA vs. LAX? If he was able to navigate a foreign overseas airport, he can handle SNA. His reasoning here is ridiculous.

Also, this is your daughter and your son in law is the one being picky about this? But YOU are paying for the tickets upfront? Why does his opinion count here again? Sometimes when someone is being unreasonable just for the sake of being unreasonable, you have to call them out on it. He just flew to VIENNA but he is worried about SNA vs. LAX? If he was able to navigate a foreign overseas airport, he can handle SNA. His reasoning here is ridiculous.
While I agree with you, kids often have to learn on their own. My kids have done all their own booking a few times, but have learned "Mom has more experience", and will often defer to me. I let them do it on their own. They appreciate it more when they se you were right. Mine are now old 20s, young 30s, and have kids of their own. Best line is when my DIL books trips, and the breakfast visit after the trips I hear, "You should have asked my mom...." I don't interfere. Even when the trip home has 5 layovers so they saved $100....

Sorry, but he is flat out wrong. He is objectively wrong. He needs to learn that things in life sometimes change. I wouldn't subject myself to LAX hell to appease someone's outdated and anecdotal recollection of LAX. Has he gone online to check this out, or is he not the type to change his mind?

Pros of flying in and out of SNA:
  • Less traffic
  • Shorter ride
  • Easier security process when flying home
  • Avoids LAX (us locals avoid it whenever possible)
  • More time at your destination
Cons of flying in and out of SNA:
  • Costs $8 more, which will be saved by the reduced ride cost.
Umm, to me, a local, SNA would be a no brainier, unless flying into LAX meant a nonstop flight and SNA would have a layover somewhere.

LGB is an even better choice than SNA. Bottom line is LAX should literally be the absolute last option, I would even go further out to Burbank before using LAX in general.

Yeah, they're coming from Seattle, most likely on Alaska Airlines, and there's a good range of other flights available if there's any problems. Also I'd never schedule a layover on that trip, regardless of how cheap it was-- nor a red-eye. Direct flight or nothing, baby.

They are paying (eventually, that is; I'm picking up the flights but they'll pay us back in a month or two). Also we will already be there and without a car, so they'll be paying for the Uber or whatever transportation they decide on.
I think when we next see them in person, probably on Easter, I'll just explain more fully my reasoning, and DSIL will probably see what I mean. If he still seems reluctant, I certainly won't push for it. He's a nice guy and appreciative of the fact that we are not the interfering type of in-laws-- his own parents are much more inclined to tell him how to run his life, and he has told us often that he appreciates our willingness to trust their judgement.

I really appreciate all the opinions and good advice given here!
Oh, Long Beach is great for flights from Seattle, watch JetBlue, you can often get flights for $40 each way(including taxes) from Seattle to LGB.

Oh, Long Beach is great for flights from Seattle, watch JetBlue, you can often get flights for $40 each way(including taxes) from Seattle to LGB.
What?! No way! I was looking at JetBlue several times in the last month; haven't seen anything like that recently. Boy, that would be a sweet deal!

Oh, hey, update: I wrote out the different flight options and pros and cons of each airport and handed that off to my daughter Tuesday of this week (they just got back from Vienna Monday). Today they were both over for Easter brunch. DD says, "Oh, yeah, we took a look at that and we are going for SNA. Thanks for the research, Mom!" :)

Thanks to all of you for your helpful input!

Oh, hey, update: I wrote out the different flight options and pros and cons of each airport and handed that off to my daughter Tuesday of this week (they just got back from Vienna Monday). Today they were both over for Easter brunch. DD says, "Oh, yeah, we took a look at that and we are going for SNA. Thanks for the research, Mom!" :)

Thanks to all of you for your helpful input!
Like their Facebook page to get notified when they do flash sales. Some are very date specific and some are more flexible, so just keep your eyes open because one thing they all do have in common is the sale usually last for 48 hours or less.

Like their Facebook page to get notified when they do flash sales. Some are very date specific and some are more flexible, so just keep your eyes open because one thing they all do have in common is the sale usually last for 48 hours or less.
I love JetBlue's planes and their system is a little less 'cattle car' than SW, but the advantage to SW is that you can change/cancel with no penalty and there are no baggage fees. Plus I always have points thanks to having a SW credit card so actually fly 'free'. They also fly into LGB, which has become my go-to airport because the fares are often cheaper than flying into SNA and they've increased the number of flights from my home airport (Sacramento). I always check both of those airlines and with JB, the sales are almost always on mid-week flights. Usually the same for the cheapest fares on SW but they frequently have good fares ($59-79 each way) that aren't just mid-week.

I just find SW customer service isnt as good, but also if the drive is less than about 10 hours, I will drive over flying any day. So that means if I am flying, it is usually a 4+ hour flight and I always prefer nonstop when possible, so SW is always out on that front alone. Add to that on a longer flight I want to be comfortable and I have long legs, so the larger leg room on even the regular coach seats for JetBlue is nice.

So I've been reading this thread and its getting me worried about my trip in May. I'm flying with my family (3 little ones) and we chose LAX over SNA because it saved us $1000 because of the dates we choose in order to not have to pay weekend rates at GCH. Our flight is super early though, and we will arrive at LAX 7:20am. We plan on using the Disneyland Resort Express for our ground transportation. Will this be a high stress situation with 3 kids? Is it worth it to switch to SNA?

So I've been reading this thread and its getting me worried about my trip in May. I'm flying with my family (3 little ones) and we chose LAX over SNA because it saved us $1000 because of the dates we choose in order to not have to pay weekend rates at GCH. Our flight is super early though, and we will arrive at LAX 7:20am. We plan on using the Disneyland Resort Express for our ground transportation. Will this be a high stress situation with 3 kids? Is it worth it to switch to SNA?
For that kind of savings, I would stick with LAX. The OP indicated an $8 difference for their kids, SNA makes sense there.

But also check LGB, it is the lowest stress airport I know.

For that kind of savings, I would stick with LAX. The OP indicated an $8 difference for their kids, SNA makes sense there.

But also check LGB, it is the lowest stress airport I know.

If my flight arrives at LAX 7:20am is it reasonable to make it to my my reserved ground transportation for Disneyland Resort Express by 7:50am?

If my flight arrives at LAX 7:20am is it reasonable to make it to my my reserved ground transportation for Disneyland Resort Express by 7:50am?
Honestly, I don't even know where it picks up, we are locals so always have our own transportation to and from LAX.

I mean $1000...we would probably stick with LAX at that point. The last time we did LAX was a couple years ago when we only had 3 and they were 5, 3, and 1. Having to take carseats and luggage and a stroller on the bus between terminals and then a separate bus to a rental car made for what seemed like an interminably long experience. I can't overstate how much better SNA is especially with a rental car - but since you're not doing that, LAX will be slightly more tolerable. Have you checked the other smaller airports like Burbank and LGB? We've even flown to San Diego when it was cheap and I prefer that over LAX. haha.

OP here. I can relate. I wanted to convince my DD and DSIL, but ironically, hubby and I and our two younger daughters are flying into LAX, because like you, it’s going to save us a hefty chunk. I wouldn’t worry about it. I think with your 3 kids, especially if any of them would normally be in car seats, the arrangements you’ve made would be fine.

Are you checking baggage? If not, you might be ok. I would call the bus company to ask. I don’t know where they pick up relative to your arrival gate, but they might have an idea how long it should take you to deplane and get to the pickup area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter