Help me decide between digital SLR cameras

raider93

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide between the Canon Rebel XT and the Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5d. They are both SLR's but the Rebel has 8.1 mega pixel where the Maxxum 5d has 6.1. However the 5d has the image stabilization built into the camera. I was told that unless I planned to enlarge a picture to 20x16 then more than 6.1 mega pixels were overkill. I was also told that the image stabilization in the 5d would help me get better pictures without having to buy an additional $600.00 lense needed to get the image stabilization out of the rebel. What do the experts think? :confused3

I would go for the image stabilization. I have one lens that has it built in and it's AWESOME. The problem is buying canon and nikon lens's with it built in is very expensive.

Thanks, I saw some photos on here that a guy took using a D7 at night in the MK and they looked awsome. I think I might buy the D5. I am going to DW on Dec. 16th and I want to buy a camera this week so I can at least become familiar with it.

I'm here now with a new 7D (here being the Grand Floridia, btw ;)) and am really pleased with it! The image stablization has been great for low light (not night, just indoor low light) shots. I just started downloading shots of Holiday Wishes taken from the GF tonight sans tripod. At least on the camera screen a handful look good (I was just resting the camera on the railing but still holding it so not as good as a tripod. I was using a fairly long shutter length so we shall see. I will work on editing them and posting some later in the week when we have some down time. Right now I just wanted to make sure I had them on the computer and off of the card!

Incidentally, the 7D has a $200 rebate going on now. Check around...you may be able to find a 7D at a price after rebate that is pretty close to what you'd pay for a 5D without rebate.

If image stabilization is the most important feature of an SLR to you, you should buy the Minolta.

I've had the 5D for a month or so and I'm really happy with it.

The IS buys you about 2 more stops in low light or when using a telephoto lens. If low light is a priority you need to remember that the KM series has an ISO 3200 setting (admittedly grainy, but for that shot that you "absolutly must have" it's an option). The ISO's up to about 800 are pretty clean, and 1600 is useable.

The KM's have a larger screen than the competition with the 7D being much higher resolution than the 5D.

The 6MP sensor is not too much of an issue for prints up to 20x30 or so using some of the new interpolation settings built into Photoshop CS2. They actually look pretty good.

The Down Side;
The pre-flash on the KM's flashes often causes a "lazy eye" or blinking in photos of people. It has to do with the duration of time between the pre-flash the camera uses to set it's metering and the acutal-flash used to expose the photo.
Other brands, Cannon included have a much shorter delay, and take the picture before people have a chance to blink.
There are work arounds, but the problem does exist "out of the box"

Lots more info on the KM SLR's available here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1035

I just bought the Konica/Minolta Maxxum 5D as a Christmas gift for DH. The real beauty is that the AF lenses we already own from our other Minolta Maxxum cameras will work on the 5D as well. The owner of our local photo processing store (who has been a professional photographer himself for many years) fell in love with the 5D and recommends it highly. I can't wait to try it out myself. ::MinnieMo

Image stabilization is great... but ISO 400 on Minolta is a tad worse than ISO 1600 on the RebelXT. ISO 400 + AS (2 stop advantage) or ISO 1600 (no IS, but also 2-stop advatage)... your call.

At least on the RebelXT you can buy lenses with image stabilisation which in return gives you an additional 3 stops advantage which in the end yields much better low-light performance than the Minolta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter