HELP-Our Christmas Reservation Got Changed!!!!!

UPDATE: We have been getting calls from MS Supervisors almost every day. They continue to assure us that they have our 2 bedroom vill at BCV on hold, but have been unable to get it set up in the system. We continue to wait. Arrival day is Dec 21, so running out of time…...
This "on hold" thing happened to me. It all worked out fine.

Realize too that in the hospitality industry, overbooking is the norm. This is less the case on the time share side, but I bet it still exists.

Hotels are always over sold, especially at busy times, because no matter what, there will be a certain percentage of no-shows. If there is no room, guests are "walked" to an equivalent or better property. A CM friend of mine once "walked" a couple from All Stars to the Contemporary. Worked out well for them!

Realize too that in the hospitality industry, overbooking is the norm. This is less the case on the time share side, but I bet it still exists. Hotels are always over sold, especially at busy times, because no matter what, there will be a certain percentage of no-shows. If there is no room, guests are "walked" to an equivalent or better property. A CM friend of mine once "walked" a couple from All Stars to the Contemporary. Worked out well for them!
This doesn't apply to DVC in any way I can think of. They'd be drawn and quartered if they overbooked a DVC res, which is sort of what's happening here, and we never get upgraded. It's just not related at all. The rooms are even kept in an entirely separate system, which is whey there can be hotel suites available and gone to wasted, but nothing a DVC member spend points on no matter how hard they try.

This doesn't apply to DVC in any way I can think of. They'd be drawn and quartered if they overbooked a DVC res, which is sort of what's happening here, and we never get upgraded. It's just not related at all. The rooms are even kept in an entirely separate system, which is whey there can be hotel suites available and gone to wasted, but nothing a DVC member spend points on no matter how hard they try.

Except in this case, I believe the OP used cash through DVC to cover her family's stay at the 2 BR at the Beach Club which is the altered reservation. Her reservation using points for SSR for a 2BR is fine. Even though the BCV is a timeshare property, it is possible Disney oversold it via CROs for people who traded out points for other uses or by using Disney's stake in the timeshare.

And while very rare, DVC members can get upgraded. There is a thread right on this board from a week or so ago about a member staying at AKL who got upgraded to a concierge suite after a prob with her room.

Yes, it affects DVC less, but overbooking still exists. Myself, I was bumped from the Club Level floor in AKL to a lower level. We kept out lounge access, although we had to call to get our daily Mousekeeping reinstated. If there was no overbooking, there would be no need to bump me.

That's not necessarily accurate. While they can't legally oversell, they can overbook without penalty. Generally they book full minus a slight surplus for such issues but sometimes things happy that carry them to the point where they can't accommodate everything booked. I'm not sure the exact formula they use but given that they sell all but 2-4%, they can't hold much back. This has happened a number of times at DVC resorts that we are aware of and likely far more we are not aware of. I don't think the OP has passed along any info as to why it happened, we may never know but it's sure be nice if we did for many reasons.

That's not necessarily accurate. While they can't legally oversell, they can overbook without penalty. Generally they book full minus a slight surplus for such issues but sometimes things happy that carry them to the point where they can't accommodate everything booked. I'm not sure the exact formula they use but given that they sell all but 2-4%, they can't hold much back. This has happened a number of times at DVC resorts that we are aware of and likely far more we are not aware of. I don't think the OP has passed along any info as to why it happened, we may never know but it's sure be nice if we did for many reasons.
I think you're your referring to the DVD rooms. They don't actually overbook DVC, or if you think they do please elaborate, because the only overbooking I've ever seen has been covered by DVD rooms, which is why I wouldn't call it overbooking.

I think you're your referring to the DVD rooms. They don't actually overbook DVC, or if you think they do please elaborate, because the only overbooking I've ever seen has been covered by DVD rooms, which is why I wouldn't call it overbooking.
I've seen a number examples where there were either no DVC rooms or no rooms at that resort when someone had a reservation. It's not to say that DVC intentionally overbooks but that if they book say 98% of the rooms and 3% go out for some reason, they end up overbooked. On a larger scale, they've had full bookings then ended up having to close down a section for maint issues and then moved entire groups of reservations for days or weeks in some cases. There were 3 specific incidents I can recall that included moving all the concierge AKV reservations (most to SSR), another AKV mass movement also to SSR IIRC (I don't recall the specifics here) and then moving a section of BWV BW view reservations mostly to BCV IIRC. There have also been a number of individual examples where the resort was not available when the guest arrived and they had to be moved elsewhere. For some reason most seems to be BCV there as well. I recall people being moved to concierge regular hotel rooms at BCV & BWV and one who got a 3 BR at OKW instead of BCV.

However, I do not know the model they use in booking and thus how close they actually cut it during busy times and I don't recall anyone posting specific knowledge on this issue.

I've seen a number examples where there were either no DVC rooms or no rooms at that resort when someone had a reservation. It's not to say that DVC intentionally overbooks but that if they book say 98% of the rooms and 3% go out for some reason, they end up overbooked. On a larger scale, they've had full bookings then ended up having to close down a section for maint issues and then moved entire groups of reservations for days or weeks in some cases. There were 3 specific incidents I can recall that included moving all the concierge AKV reservations (most to SSR), another AKV mass movement also to SSR IIRC (I don't recall the specifics here) and then moving a section of BWV BW view reservations mostly to BCV IIRC. There have also been a number of individual examples where the resort was not available when the guest arrived and they had to be moved elsewhere. For some reason most seems to be BCV there as well. I recall people being moved to concierge regular hotel rooms at BCV & BWV and one who got a 3 BR at OKW instead of BCV. However, I do not know the model they use in booking and thus how close they actually cut it during busy times and I don't recall anyone posting specific knowledge on this issue.
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yeah, that does happen a lot.

Would love to know the outcome. Hope they are happy and having a great time.

UPDATE: Sorry for delay, half way through our trip 4 of 5 of our family came down with a nasty virus, it is now three weeks later and we are still recovering, and all five of us have now got it...Blah....

OUTCOME: We got our 2 bedroom villas at BCV. The supervisor at DVC Member Services that helped us with this issue from the beginning stayed in constant contact while we travelled and settled in at the resort. The resort was apprised of the situation, and were accommodating and understanding during the check in process. As compensation to our family for the system screw up, DVC MS and BCV Management delivered a very nice 4 foot decorated Christmas Tree to our room (our suggestion) - from Floral, AND got us reservations on Christmas day at BOG (the only time we could get was 9:30 pm, they got us 4:30) AND got us tickets to Tomorrowland Dessert fireworks show Christmas Day.

We were grateful for the Supervisor from MS that helped us, and once we were settled in our room, and had the tree, tickets etc, we arranged to have flowers delivered too her as a Thank You, which she very much appreciated. We feel that she went above and beyond to make sure our problems were resolved, and really took ownership of our problems.

Side note on our two resorts: BCV Dec 21- Dec 28 - this was our 4th stay at BCV and we were a little disappointed with the service at the resort. We know it was the busiest time of year, but they seemed over whelmed. It was all departments, including housekeeping, front desk, and concierge....Just One Example: Our washing machine did not work, and we had to follow up for 3 days to get it fixed, every time they expressed their surprise it was not done. SSR Dec 28 - Jan 5 - first stay at SSR, and it was amazing. All CM's were attentive, and the resort itself was great. We had our own rental vehicle, so did not mind the isolation of SSR (Grandstand building) - very relaxed. One day the "boys" golfed, and the "girls" went to the spa. Walked to DTD frequently.

Magic Bands were the hot topic during our stay, front desk and concierge CM's seemed pre-occupied with them at both resorts, hats off to them all for dealing with such a substantial change during the busiest time of year. Personally, MB's and FP+ worked 100% for us!!!!!

UPDATE: Sorry for delay, half way through our trip 4 of 5 of our family came down with a nasty virus, it is now three weeks later and we are still recovering, and all five of us have now got it...Blah....

OUTCOME: We got our 2 bedroom villas at BCV. The supervisor at DVC Member Services that helped us with this issue from the beginning stayed in constant contact while we travelled and settled in at the resort. The resort was apprised of the situation, and were accommodating and understanding during the check in process. As compensation to our family for the system screw up, DVC MS and BCV Management delivered a very nice 4 foot decorated Christmas Tree to our room (our suggestion) - from Floral, AND got us reservations on Christmas day at BOG (the only time we could get was 9:30 pm, they got us 4:30) AND got us tickets to Tomorrowland Dessert fireworks show Christmas Day.

We were grateful for the Supervisor from MS that helped us, and once we were settled in our room, and had the tree, tickets etc, we arranged to have flowers delivered too her as a Thank You, which she very much appreciated. We feel that she went above and beyond to make sure our problems were resolved, and really took ownership of our problems.

Side note on our two resorts: BCV Dec 21- Dec 28 - this was our 4th stay at BCV and we were a little disappointed with the service at the resort. We know it was the busiest time of year, but they seemed over whelmed. It was all departments, including housekeeping, front desk, and concierge....Just One Example: Our washing machine did not work, and we had to follow up for 3 days to get it fixed, every time they expressed their surprise it was not done. SSR Dec 28 - Jan 5 - first stay at SSR, and it was amazing. All CM's were attentive, and the resort itself was great. We had our own rental vehicle, so did not mind the isolation of SSR (Grandstand building) - very relaxed. One day the "boys" golfed, and the "girls" went to the spa. Walked to DTD frequently.

Magic Bands were the hot topic during our stay, front desk and concierge CM's seemed pre-occupied with them at both resorts, hats off to them all for dealing with such a substantial change during the busiest time of year. Personally, MB's and FP+ worked 100% for us!!!!!
Great other than the illness, hopefully all will be well soon. I'm glad it worked out and the compensations sound reasonable given your situation. Sound like they did a good job, Disney generally recovers well, sometimes too well by giving our more than they really should it seems (doesn't apply in your case).

Side note on our two resorts: BCV Dec 21- Dec 28 - this was our 4th stay at BCV and we were a little disappointed with the service at the resort. We know it was the busiest time of year, but they seemed over whelmed. It was all departments, including housekeeping, front desk, and concierge....Just One Example: Our washing machine did not work, and we had to follow up for 3 days to get it fixed, every time they expressed their surprise it was not done.
Did you report the washing machine problem directly to maintenance or did you talk to the front desk? In case you don't already know, there is a button on the phone that connects you directly to maintenance. If you call the front desk, you get a call center which then must relay the message, introducing delays and the possibility that the message never makes it at all.

I'm so glad you got your 2BR at BCV. How thoughtful of you to send the MS supervisor flowers!

Did you report the washing machine problem directly to maintenance or did you talk to the front desk? In case you don't already know, there is a button on the phone that connects you directly to maintenance. If you call the front desk, you get a call center which then must relay the message, introducing delays and the possibility that the message never makes it at all.

I'm so glad you got your 2BR at BCV. How thoughtful of you to send the MS supervisor flowers!

We reported it direct to engineering (yes- used the direct button on the phone). I believe we called at least 4 times, every time we got a commitment from them, and every time they didn't show, we were patient but persistent, and they were totally befuddled.....finally replaced both the washer and dryer with brand new units....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter