Help!! Parking and entry for non-resort guests (1st time at WDW!)

buttercup3

Mouseketeer
We’re coming from Arizona for our first ever trip to WDW next week!
We’re not staying on property, so we’ll be driving our rental car and parking each day.
I’m watching the threads and notice a lot of people saying parks have been opening earlier than posted times, but have seen a couple comments about parking lots not opening until a certain time.
I know nothing about the parking situation at WDW, but it sounds like getting to the parks from the lots can be time consuming.
What should we expect as far as entry and being able to rope drop? How early do we need to get there/how early will they actually let us in to the parking lot?

Last edited:
Usually 45mins before opening at MK. I’ve been during December and it was an hour prior. The only parking situation that is a tedious is MK because you take a monorail, bus or boat from the parking lot to the gates. By the time you park in any of the lots the park will be open. Apart from HS you can get a lot done in the first hour and a half.

When we went to Epcot Christmas week we arrived at the toll gates one hour prior to park opening. Cars started to move thru 45 minutes prior. Super easy to then park and walk to park entrance.

next up for us driving will be MK and I’m totally flustered with how to do it. Plan is to arrive One hour prior, park, then have to wait for monorail or ferry? Is there a bus to hop on? Wish this park were easier-5 weeks away and I’m already stressing!

When we went to Epcot Christmas week we arrived at the toll gates one hour prior to park opening. Cars started to move thru 45 minutes prior. Super easy to then park and walk to park entrance.

next up for us driving will be MK and I’m totally flustered with how to do it. Plan is to arrive One hour prior, park, then have to wait for monorail or ferry? Is there a bus to hop on? Wish this park were easier-5 weeks away and I’m already
stressing!
I'm making my first trip in May, so I've been trying to wrap my head around the parking situation. Try looking on youtube, there are some really helpful videos that really helped me put things in perspective. And yes, there is a bus, as well as the ferry and monorail to MK.

MK is the only park where getting from parking lot to park entrance is time consuming, because you do have to take the monorail or ferry across the Seven Seas Lagoon. When staying offsite and parking at the TTC, we like to take the ferry because there’s usually quite a line for the monorail, and we find the voyage relaxing. But for a very first visit, you might prefer the monorail, which will take about the same amount of time to get to the MK entrance.

Usually 45mins before opening at MK. I’ve been during December and it was an hour prior. The only parking situation that is a tedious is MK because you take a monorail, bus or boat from the parking lot to the gates. By the time you park in any of the lots the park will be open. Apart from HS you can get a lot done in the first hour and a half.
Thank you! That’s very helpful!
Can I ask why it’s hard to get a lot done early at HS?

Thank you! That’s very helpful!
Can I ask why it’s hard to get a lot done early at HS?
The big ticket rides like MMRR and Slinky dog have 30-40 min lines by the time guests who are driving get in. This is just my personal experience and I have not been since they’ve changed the boarding group requirements. Our number one goal is MMRR so maybe if you have a different approach you’ll have better luck.

Last edited:

next up for us driving will be MK and I’m totally flustered with how to do it. Plan is to arrive One hour prior, park, then have to wait for monorail or ferry? Is there a bus to hop on? Wish this park were easier-5 weeks away and I’m already stressing!
Glad to know Epcot is easy to maneuver! That’s actually the first park we’re going to next Sunday.
We’re doing MK on Mon and Thurs so I’ll come back and let you know if I have any tips/suggestions!

I'm making my first trip in May, so I've been trying to wrap my head around the parking situation. Try looking on youtube, there are some really helpful videos that really helped me put things in perspective. And yes, there is a bus, as well as the ferry and monorail to MK.
Ahh, good idea! We’ll have to look on youtube!! Thanks!

MK is the only park where getting from parking lot to park entrance is time consuming, because you do have to take the monorail or ferry across the Seven Seas Lagoon. When staying offsite and parking at the TTC, we like to take the ferry because there’s usually quite a line for the monorail, and we find the voyage relaxing. But for a very first visit, you might prefer the monorail, which will take about the same amount of time to get to the MK entrance.
Good to know!! We’re doing 2 days at MK so maybe we can try both ways. The kids would probably love the ferry!

Okay, just back from our 5 day trip!
We did MK on Mon & Thurs and we took an Uber both times. But, hindsight, we could have parked and saved some money.

Here’s what you need to know: The MK parking lot doesn’t open until pretty much 8am on the dot. If you get to the ticketing gate too early, they will make you turn around. They had security making everyone who was pulled over on the side before the ticketing gate turn around too. At about 7:45, it seemed like they allowed cars to queue up. Then they let cars through beginning at 8am. Once in the parking lot, there is a walkway that leads to the temp check. There is a barrier up just before temp check and they open it at 8:05ish. Then it’s a little walk (couple yards) to temp check, then through to security, then straight through to the monorail or ferry.

Because we did the Uber, we were dropped off where the resort buses drop off and were able to get into the line for temp check at 7:30ish. They start letting those guests through to temp check at about the same time that they allow the parking lot guests through the barrier. You’re at best only a couple of groups ahead of the parking lot people, but we were able to be on the first monorail to the park both days.

The thing that slows you down is the bag check. I gave my husband his entrance card (we didn’t have magic bands) and put anything metal I had in the backpack he was carrying, except my cell phone. Me and the kids went straight through security and to the monorail while he went on to bag check. We got in our monorail car and texted my husband the car number. If he didn’t make it in with us, we would at least have a head start to the first ride and he could meet us there since he had his ticket. But both days he made it to the monorail in time.
If you use this strategy, a tip: At the top of the monorail line, tell them the number in your party but not that you’re waiting for someone. You’ll get in your car and the other person can get by and tell them their party is in car number ___. If people volunteered that they were waiting for someone, they made them wait off to the side until the entire party was there.
The parks were always already open by the time we got off the monorail, which was about 8:20 for a 9:00 posted opening time.

Also helpful to know, is from the transportation center, there was a monorail to Epcot and to MK. Possibly the other parks as well, but I didn’t see those signs. MK monorail is all the way on the left, so after security, stay left.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!!

We did MK on Mon & Thurs and we took an Uber both times. But, hindsight, we could have parked and saved some money.

Here’s what you need to know: The MK parking lot doesn’t open until pretty much 8am on the dot. If you get to the ticketing gate too early, they will make you turn around. They had security making everyone who was pulled over on the side before the ticketing gate turn around too. At about 7:45, it seemed like they allowed cars to queue up. Then they let cars through beginning at 8am. Once in the parking lot, there is a walkway that leads to the temp check. There is a barrier up just before temp check and they open it at 8:05ish. Then it’s a little walk (couple yards) to temp check, then through to security, then straight through to the monorail or ferry.

Because we did the Uber, we were dropped off where the resort buses drop off and were able to get into the line for temp check at 7:30ish. They start letting those guests through to temp check at about the same time that they allow the parking lot guests through the barrier. You’re at best only a couple of groups ahead of the parking lot people, but we were able to be on the first monorail to the park both days.

The thing that slows you down is the bag check. I gave my husband his entrance card (we didn’t have magic bands) and put anything metal I had in the backpack he was carrying, except my cell phone. Me and the kids went straight through security and to the monorail while he went on to bag check. We got in our monorail car and texted my husband the car number. If he didn’t make it in with us, we would at least have a head start to the first ride and he could meet us there since he had his ticket. But both days he made it to the monorail in time.
If you use this strategy, a tip: At the top of the monorail line, tell them the number in your party but not that you’re waiting for someone. You’ll get in your car and the other person can get by and tell them their party is in car number ___. If people volunteered that they were waiting for someone, they made them wait off to the side until the entire party was there.
The parks were always already open by the time we got off the monorail, which was about 8:20 for a 9:00 posted opening time.

Also helpful to know, is from the transportation center, there was a monorail to Epcot and to MK. Possibly the other parks as well, but I didn’t see those signs. MK monorail is all the way on the left, so after security, stay left.

I was wondering if an Uber would be easier. Isn’t parking like $20 or $40? It’s been so long since I went. We only have 3 people, so I’m thinking about an Uber.

So helpful!!!! Thank you!!! So it sounds like Uber was let in as early as the buses were allowed in and didn’t have to be turned around like the guest looking to park? We have been leaning towards uber as well.

I was wondering if an Uber would be easier. Isn’t parking like $20 or $40? It’s been so long since I went. We only have 3 people, so I’m thinking about an Uber.
Parking is $25, an Uber was $20 one way from where we were staying (off property, about 10 minutes away from the parks)
But we had 4 people and needed an Uber XL due to Covid rules (no one up front) so our Uber was more expensive than yours will be

So helpful!!!! Thank you!!! So it sounds like Uber was let in as early as the buses were allowed in and didn’t have to be turned around like the guest looking to park? We have been leaning towards uber as well.
Correct. Uber can get in as soon as buses can!

Oh, I guess so? We just assumed they were resort buses! But yes, we were dropped off at the TTC.
Disney buses drop off directly at the park rather than the TTC. The buses you saw would have been from off-property resorts and the Swan & Dolphin.

The Epcot monorail isn't currently running. MK and Epcot are the only two parks that the monorail services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter