Help with Boston MA public transportation

DisneyDebbie

DIS Veteran
I'll be going to Boston in a few weeks and was using the MBTA site to plan my trip from the airport. We're staying near Fenway park. I read on another thread here about the construction and I'm not sure if I can use the trip planner tool. Also I'm from the suburbs and have only used public transit for 1 trip in D.C. back in 2015.

The trip planner says to depart onto terminal rd and get on the blue line and then green line D and transfer to green line B, is that right? How do I pay for this? Another option has a bus from the airport to red line and then green line. Is that a better route?

Or is it better to just Uber?

Thanks for any help!

Weekday schedule is great, about 30 mins from Logan to Fenway, weekend maybe a little longer.

Logan - take silver line to South Station
South Station - take redline to Park Street
Park Street - Take Green (D) line to Fenway

It's really easy and straightforward.

I live nearby, feel free to PM if you have additional questions.

ps..it's free!!!

Another option has a bus from the airport to red line and then green line.
This is the Silver Line. It's a bus, but it's considered part of the same system as the trains and it's not part of the regular bus system. Boston is weird.

The Silver->Red->Green option is easier than the other option. You can't actually get the Blue Line right from Logan. You have to take a shuttle to the Blue Line. On the other hand, the Silver Line picks you up right from the airport.

Personally, I would Uber if that’s something you do. Traffic is horrendous right now. I was stuck behind one of the huge temporary shuttle buses yesterday and it was like a rolling roadblock that just stopped in the middle of the driving lane to let people off. :confused3

Personally, I would Uber if that’s something you do. Traffic is horrendous right now. I was stuck behind one of the huge temporary shuttle buses yesterday and it was like a rolling roadblock that just stopped in the middle of the driving lane to let people off. :confused3
Why would Uber be better if the traffic is bad, though? The Uber would be stuck in traffic the whole way. With the Silver->Red->Green option, most of the route won't be affected much by traffic.

Why would Uber be better if the traffic is bad, though? The Uber would be stuck in traffic the whole way. With the Silver->Red->Green option, most of the route won't be affected much by traffic.
I hate buses and trains, especially lately. I said “personally”.

The lines that have been closed lately are orange and the "E" branch of green, so you should be fine with silver, red, and the part of green you need. Last time I used it, you paid by buying a "Charlie Card" which you tap through the styles at the station.

The lines that have been closed lately are orange and the "E" branch of green, so you should be fine with silver, red, and the part of green you need. Last time I used it, you paid by buying a "Charlie Card" which you tap through the styles at the station.
From Logan, it's free. (I never understood why Mass taxpayers are subsidizing visitor transportation, but that's another post..lol)

Uber will cost you around $25-$30, which is not bad.

Not sure what day or time you are arriving, that can make a big difference on the T. I would also take an Uber if I had luggage. It's going to be a pain hauling all that luggage around the T stations and on and off busses (which is what the Silverline is from the airport to South Station) to subway cars and up and down stairs. Elevators are absolutely disgusting and you want to avoid them at all costs. The T is not the most reliable subway system in the country - especially the Green Line, we are having some "challenges" right now with the whole system. Definitely look into Uber or Lyft, it is worth the money in the aggravation you will save.

Just want to clarify the whole near Fenway Park as that could be one of a few different stations. The actual closest station to Fenway Park itself is Kenmore. To get to Kenmore you could take the B, C, or D green line. The Fenway stop is further up the road on the D line. There are other stops that could also be considered near Fenway so if you let us know the closest stop or where you are staying, we can give you more specifics. Nonsense in walking further than you have to with your luggage.
I agree that the silver line bus to South Station would be easier than the bus to the blue line.
My mom is in a wheelchair now and I have not found the elevators themselves to be an issue, though it can be a little tricky to find them. Unless you have a ton of stuff, I would think the escalators and stairs would be sufficient.
Traffic is always bad leaving the airport. We returned from Hawaii last Saturday at 7am. The airport was pretty quiet, but the traffic was still atrocious getting out of there. It’s just not in a good location for traffic patterns.

Another possibility is to take the Silver Line to South Station and get an Uber from there. Again, all depends on when you are travelling. If it's at night, I would not use the T if you are not familiar with the system.

Wow! Thank you everyone. We're arriving at 9:30am on a weekday. So I think we'll atleast do the silver line to South Station and then decide from there. We travel very light with just 1 backpack for both of us although I may use 2 backpacks 1/2 full for convenience. And we also don't mind walking, we average about 4 miles on a regular day, but our Epcot day last month was about 10 miles :rolleyes1

We're thinking about visiting Aerosmith's old apartment in the afternoon. It's 1325 Commonwealth Ave. in Allston. Is that area safe to walk around in?

Given what you provided, I stand by my original suggestion to just do silver, red and green. It really is easy.

1325 Comm Ave is fine both day and night, but it's just a building. Depends on where you'll be, the subway B line brings you straight to it. If you visit in the evening, it's very lively with many restaurants, many Korean and other asian cuisine.

Not sure when you are arriving, but Boston is a bit of mess right now with all the students moving in, It will quiet down after mid September.

Noting what someone was mentioning regarding the elevators, they always seems to stink of pee...bleh.

Maybe just research Park Street a little, it got me turned around a bit, there are floors, corridors and people rushing. The trains are usually designated by end of the line so if you have a cheat sheet with a notation of your destination for context it will help a ton esp since there are multiple green and red. It is tough to navigate trains to bus on the fly, not sure why but the app doesn't seem to be flexible with this. Trains do stop around midnight so you can get stranded if you aren't mindful. There are ferries and commuter rails that take you further away from the city if you want to venture out. The city has public bikes scattered around called Bluebikes, I don't use but it's a bike friendly city.

I was at the Public Garden today, heaven on earth IMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter