Here it is - the OFFICIAL 2014 READING GOAL CHALLENGE THREAD

A while since I checked in and a few more done and dusted

#28 A Dance of Dragons by G.R.R.Martin-when is the next one coming out!?

#29 Green Grass by Rafaella Barker-this was ok

#30 Village Books by Craig McLay-not great. The protagonist seemed arrogant

#31 Searching for Shona by Margaret J Anderson. This is a kid's book that I loved as a kid and I re read it aloud to my daughter

A while since I checked in and a few more done and dusted

#28 A Dance of Dragons by G.R.R.Martin-when is the next one coming out!?

#29 Green Grass by Rafaella Barker-this was ok

#30 Village Books by Craig McLay-not great. The protagonist seemed arrogant

#31 Searching for Shona by Margaret J Anderson. This is a kid's book that I loved as a kid and I re read it aloud to my daughter

Oh, my goodness-I loved Searching for Shona. I read it many times when I was younger.

#10 "Room" by Emma Donoghue.

This book got rave reviews from almost everyone I know, but I didn't find it enjoyable at all. How people were compelled to read it in a single sitting is beyond me. The first, oh I don't know, 70 pages or so was torturous, reading 5 year old Jack speak like a 3 year old. Really made it difficult for me to get through the whole thing.

On a more positive note, next up is "The Rosie Project," which I scored from Barnes & Noble for $1.99 on Nook.

This one is on my list and have been waiting for your review! Did you not like it solely because of the dialogue or was the plotline itself lame?

It's been on my list for a long time - don't remember WHY I felt compelled to put it there (need to start making notes whenever I add a book!)

Good score on the Nook! I would have grabbed that book if I had seen that sale!

Here are my last few reads.

17. A Child Called "it" by Dave Pelzer
This is a true story about the author's childhood of horrific abuse by his mother. It was a very fast read and very descriptive and disturbing. The book never really told you why his mother flipped a switch and went from a normal loving mother to this monster.

18. James Potter and the Hall of Elder's Crossing by G Norman Lippert
This is a fan fiction based on the Harry Potter novels. I got it free from Goodreads. If you are a Harry Potter fan this is a nice continuation. The book centers on James, Harry's oldest son, as he goes off to Hogwarts for his first year. The story is not as compelling as the original series but it is fun. Many of the original characters make appearances.

19. Bossypants by Tina Fey
I loved it. Very funny and interesting.

20. If You Ask Me by Betty White
This was not exactly a biography of Betty White because she has already written that. It's a collection of her thoughts on different topics and experiences. It's cute and funny. Betty narrates it.

21. The Winter Letter by Dustan Stanley
I originally downloaded this free on Kindle when I was looking for a Christmas themed book. The cover had a wintery look to it. Well, it was not at all Christmas themed! It is a story of a young teen who arrives home from school one day to find his family has disappeared and then his house burns down. What follows is an entry into world of an alternate reality with kings and knights and strange animals and orphans. It was very interesting although not the best YA fantasy book I've read. It is supposed to be the first of a series but I have not been able to find the second one yet.

22. 7th Heaven by James Patterson
The seventh installment of the Women's Murder Club series. As usual there are 2 major cases to follow along with a sort of minor thread as well. This installment was intriguing and also brought a little bit of personal drama with the characters as well.

Book 7 out of 30: Miss Pergrines home for Peculiar Children: This was an interesting book. I will probably read the next book. I didn't realize there would be multiple books.

Book 8 out of 30: The husband's secret. Pretty good book. It was a little hard to follow at first with all of the stories but once I read each couples/person's story it made sense.

I tried to read Monument Men but I just couldn't get into it.

Here are my last few reads. 17. A Child Called "it" by Dave Pelzer This is a true story about the author's childhood of horrific abuse by his mother. It was a very fast read and very descriptive and disturbing. The book never really told you why his mother flipped a switch and went from a normal loving mother to this monster.
Unfortunately his story doesn't get any better for a long time :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am having a hard time deciding what to read again! Ugh... I hate this. I have too many choices on my Kindle lol.

Oh, my goodness-I loved Searching for Shona. I read it many times when I was younger.

I have never met anyone that knows this book! I loved it as a kid and reading it many years later I really enjoyed it again.

Have you read any other books of hers? I have downloaded a series by her on my kindle.

#31 The Maze Runner by James Dashner. This felt a bit unpolished in parts but there was enough of a mystery that I want to continue to read the series.

I have never met anyone that knows this book! I loved it as a kid and reading it many years later I really enjoyed it again.

Have you read any other books of hers? I have downloaded a series by her on my kindle.

#31 The Maze Runner by James Dashner. This felt a bit unpolished in parts but there was enough of a mystery that I want to continue to read the series.

No, I haven't, but now I want to. When I saw your post yesterday I looked up the book and even remembered the cover looking the same! I wish my mother had not disposed of all of my childhood books, because I would really love to read some of them again even at my age. I'd also love to still have more of my young adult books so my daughter could have read them before she was too old, but I only have a select few. I don't always remember the titles of the books I read as a child, but Searching for Shona I definitely remember-thanks for bringing it up!

Book 20 of 50

I Think I Love You by Stephanie Bond

From Goodreads:
o there's some bad blood and bruised egos among the Metcalf sisters. At least they're reuniting. A cause to celebrate? Not for Justine, Regina, and Mica. Their parents are splitting up and the family business is going on the auction block--just a little reminder of how much they really have in common...

Take the local bad boy who proposed to Justine, seduced Regina, and ran off with Mica. Add the unsolved murder they witnessed when they were young girls, and their vow to keep it a secret. Toss in their knack for being drawn to shady men, and there's only one thing left for them to do--put the bonds of family loyalty to the test.

But it takes courage to outsmart a murderer, know-how to avenge the cad who betrayed them, and patience to bring their parent back together. Three talents. Three sisters. And who knows? Maybe even three new chances to fall in love when Justine, Regina, and Mica discover how much they're willing to risk--and forgive--in the name of sisterhood...

Goal 72

#17 Red 1-2-3 by John Katzenbach

This is the second book I've read by Katzenbach. Both were pretty good & kept me interested. Will have to check out some of his other books.

Online review:
A disturbed author and devotee of crime fiction who views writing and killing as parts of the same intimate process targets three redheaded women in what he considers the grandest homicidal scheme ever.
It has been 15 years since the Big Bad Wolf, as he calls himself, published a novel or killed anyone to give himself source material. After a series of well-received books, he suffered a decline in sales and attention. Attempting a comeback in his New England town, he plans on killing in quick succession a middle-aged internist, Karen, who practices stand-up comedy at night (Red 1); a young teacher, Sarah (Red 2), who has turned to vodka and barbiturates to get over the deaths of her husband and child in an accident; and a troubled high school basketball player, Jordan (Red 3), angry over her parents' divorce. What BBW doesn't envision is that after delivering a letter to each of these targets informing them they have been "selected" for death, they will cope with their fears, discover each other and attempt to turn the plot against him.

This one is on my list and have been waiting for your review! Did you not like it solely because of the dialogue or was the plotline itself lame?

It's been on my list for a long time - don't remember WHY I felt compelled to put it there (need to start making notes whenever I add a book!)

Good score on the Nook! I would have grabbed that book if I had seen that sale!

The plotline wasn't bad, although it took a long time to get to it. The dialogue was absolutely horrible and really ruined the entire read. It seems as though people :love: the book or feel like I did. Doesn't seem to be an in-between place.

I have been reading the Oz books. I have never read them before and they are really good.

#32 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

#33 The Marvelous Land of Oz

#34 Ozma of Oz

all by L. Frank Baum.

Book related - Divergent is not getting the best reviews. Bummer. :(

Oh the other hand The Maze Runner trailer looks awesome.

Book related - Divergent is not getting the best reviews. Bummer. :(

Oh the other hand The Maze Runner trailer looks awesome.

Yeah, I wonder if they're going to make it to Allegiant. Like with Beautiful Creatures, it did so poorly, they were like, let's not do another.

I was just talking to a friend about The Maze Runner trailer and I was saying that usually when I read a book and see the movie, the movie looks nothing like what I pictured. But the trailer for The Maze Runner is EXACTLY what I pictured, for some reason... it's scary.

Finished book #23 - The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Okay, so I ended up reading book 3 of the Pendergast series after all. Still not as creepy as the first book. I am done w/this series now.

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered.
Inside are thirty-six bodies--all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago.
While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city.
The nightmare has begun.
Again.

Next book: Heart Shaped Box

Finished #10 out of 30

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

We all have our secrets - what we don't know or fully realize is how sharing those secrets could significantly alter our lives and all those around us...

I really enjoyed this book even though I found it fairly predictable. I love books that make me ponder & question my own moral character and cause me to play the "what if it were me" game as I read.

Very easy read. I wouldn't beg people to read it, but I would recommend it if you're looking for something light & enjoyable for your summer reading.

Next up: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)

This one wasn't on my list, but my library is doing a March Madness contest with the top books of the year, and this one was on the list and available. I've pretty much either already read the books on the list or they're on my to-read list, but were unavailable at the library when I stopped in last night, so I ended up with this one. Don't know anything about it so will give it a "tentative" try. :)

Finished book #23 - The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Okay, so I ended up reading book 3 of the Pendergast series after all. Still not as creepy as the first book. I am done w/this series now.

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered.
Inside are thirty-six bodies--all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago.
While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city.
The nightmare has begun.
Again.

Next book: Heart Shaped Box

I like this series and have gotten to the 4th one. Both of the authors write stand alone books that are very good too. The subjects of the books are vastly different and very detailed so you learn a lot about whatever it is. Child's are more science based.

Yeah, I wonder if they're going to make it to Allegiant. Like with Beautiful Creatures, it did so poorly, they were like, let's not do another.

I was just talking to a friend about The Maze Runner trailer and I was saying that usually when I read a book and see the movie, the movie looks nothing like what I pictured. But the trailer for The Maze Runner is EXACTLY what I pictured, for some reason... it's scary.

I think it will make it to Allegiant because it's going to make $$$ no matter if it's good or bad. Like the Twilight movies lol. It has a bigger appeal than say, Vampire Academy or Mortal Instruments. I think part of the reason it's not getting great reviews is because it's being compared to the Hunger Games films and Woodley to Jennifer Lawrence.

Goal 72

#18 Waiting For Morning by Karen Kingsbury

From back cover:
'A drunk driver, a deadly accident, a dream destroyed. When Hannah Ryan loses her husband and oldest daughter to a drunk driver, she is consumed with hate and revenge. Ultimately, it is a kind prosecutor, a wise widow, and her husband's dying words that bring her the peace that wull set her free and let her live again.'

I have always just passed by Kingsbury's books at the library. And there are a lot of them, lol. For some reason the other day I picked this one up and after I started reading, I could not put it down. Starting on the second in the series now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter