Can folks be more specific about the lack of access to food. I understand that it's hard to get ADR unless you booked well in advance or get lucky; but, is it that hard to get QS with the mobile ordering? If you just want a water or a soda, are there still carts for that? Clearly you need to plan a bit in advance, but are people walking around the parks hungry? That seems like bad business.

We are in the parks quite often and find it to be more challenging to food/drink right now but maybe because of the way we used to tour. Some changes we've found:

- we used to pop into a store to grab bottled drinks since it was usually faster than a cart + we got an AP discount. Lines to get into stores makes this more difficult.

- many QS and carts are closed so demand is higher on the ones open. Cart lines seem soooo much longer right now and tend to move at a snail's pace. The cart near Dumbo last week was 15+ parties deep just to grab a Coke, box of popcorn, or churro.

- when it's busier, mobile ordering pickup windows fill quickly so you may want a snack/meal, try to order, and find the soonest time is 2 hours away.

- many resorts are extremely limited in food offerings, both TS and QS. We are thankful to always have our car so we can run offsite but after a day or 2 of wrestling a toddler into a carseat, I got pretty resentful that Disney wouldn't just take my money and feed me overpriced mediocre food ;) Things have improved since the fall and hopefully continue to.

If you go during slower times, most of this doesn't apply as much.

Maybe it’s best for those who are so worried about folks not following masks rules just stay home. Who wants to take such a chance? When something is so scary that you need to go eat in your room, it’s not worth paying for a hotel, right? Not for me anyway. Better safe than sorry.
Maybe it's best for those who are so unwilling to follow Disney's rules to just stay home until Disney's policies align with the type of vacation they envision. Who wants to be so oppressed? When a piece of cloth is so onerous that they can't keep it on themselves, despite agreeing to it at booking, it's not worth paying for a hotel, right? Better stay home.

Love Mermaids response.... stay home!
Stay home...if you won't follow the rules you agreed to when you booked.

Bottom line: Disney has rules. They're not secret. People agree to them when they book. Some people book because of them; some people book in spite of them. I personally have no desire to stay home, and I follow the rules whether I like them or not. It's not unreasonable to expect others to do the same, and for Disney to enforce its own policy.

Can folks be more specific about the lack of access to food. I understand that it's hard to get ADR unless you booked well in advance or get lucky; but, is it that hard to get QS with the mobile ordering? If you just want a water or a soda, are there still carts for that? Clearly you need to plan a bit in advance, but are people walking around the parks hungry? That seems like bad business.
It's just different and MUCH less options. During busy times you really have to plan ahead to reserve your mobile order for when you think you'll be ready to eat. A lot of the quick service menu items are limited and it's just not as easy to walk up somewhere to grab a drink/snack. We just returned and while we never went hungry, we really got sick of the limited food options pretty quickly and found ourselves wanting to order delivery instead.

1. Yes. The issue is not mobile order. There are fewer QS open and ADRs are harder to get so that leaves more demand for the QS places that are open. And reduced seating at QS due to spacing tables means less supply.
2. Not all carts are open, so the ones that are get long lines. A lot of walkway space is being used for ride queues so food carts can’t be there in the way.
3. Not necessarily bad for business, if the restaurants cost more to run than they earn with reduced capacity and people taking longer to eat as a break from crowds and masks. Only Disney knows that.

How time consuming is it to park hop? I imagine each park has a bus that will take you to the other theme parks? Does this include the water park? Any tips/experiences would be great. I'm going back and forth on how much we'd actually use the park hoppers. I'm going in summer so I know I'll want to take breaks on hot days so that would make the hopping easier... be nice to see longer evening hours too though!

How time consuming is it to park hop? I imagine each park has a bus that will take you to the other theme parks? Does this include the water park? Any tips/experiences would be great. I'm going back and forth on how much we'd actually use the park hoppers. I'm going in summer so I know I'll want to take breaks on hot days so that would make the hopping easier... be nice to see longer evening hours too though!
In Feb DD and I did a hopping day. We got to MK pre-opening and stayed until about 1:15 and ended up wandering out to the bus stop to see what time they started running. 1:28 we boarded a bus to DHS and tapped in at 1:50.

Left DHS around 5:30(?) and hopped to EP via Skyliner. Didn't stay long, one walk around WS, some photos, and rode SSE before hopping back to MK to ride Splash and whatever else we could fit in. When we left EP for MK, I want to say it was around 6:30, we walked right onto a bus and there was only one other party, so not sure how often buses come (seems we had a bit of luck there esp with such an empty bus).

If the park hours are longer, what we typically do is a midday break at the hotel. It is HOT in the middle of the day in the summer- and there are often afternoon thunderstorms- so those breaks help. We head back out to a different park after our break, usually around dinnertime so we eat and then enjoy the park. Breaks up the day and helps avoid the peak heat and crowds.

Went to MK on Sunday 3/14. Big difference now besides wearing masks, are dining, no characters, and no shows, parades, fireworks. There are some ride closures, I think mostly due to refurb or construction. Maybe without COVID the construction and refurbs would have been before now, I don’t know.
The lines for everything look deceptively long for everything because of social distancing. However, all of our waits were less than the posted wait time.
We didn’t go hungry but some of people’s favorite dining locations or snack options my not be available. Reservations for TS are impossible, you always had to book the good places well in advance but now even the bad ones during the off peak times are book solid.
With out the characters, shows, and parades the park seemed a little off. Less alive.
I will talk about crowds and rides together. The crowd in the park was MUCH lower than normal spring break crowds which made walking easier than normal. There are FPs of course but the wait times disassembled bad, about 20 minutes to the longest I seen was 55 minutes for SDMT. I think you should be able to ride anything you want and riding every ride might be possible. In the past SDMT was not usually a possibility for us.
In summary; if you mainly enjoy the rides, appreciated low crowds, make dinning reservations well in advance, and don’t mind the mask then you should enjoy the trip. If the chactors, shows, fireworks are a big part of your experience or you want last minute TS dinning or don’t want to wear a mask then now is not the time to go.

At HS. It's very crowded. Opened at 8:10 tapped in at 8:15. Drop off by uber at Speedway and walked in. My kids didn't want to start with thrill ride so we did smugglers run first. Walked on at 8:30. Slinky was already 70 min. So we headed to mickey railway...waited 14 min. Now in line for TOT. Probably an hour wait. Have my TP timer running. Got boarding group 68 for Rise. Just trying to subbcomb to waiting lots today.

At HS. It's very crowded. Opened at 8:10 tapped in at 8:15. Drop off by uber at Speedway and walked in. My kids didn't want to start with thrill ride so we did smugglers run first. Walked on at 8:30. Slinky was already 70 min. So we headed to mickey railway...waited 14 min. Now in line for TOT. Probably an hour wait. Have my TP timer running. Got boarding group 68 for Rise. Just trying to subbcomb to waiting lots today.

Sounds like a great start! We didn’t get a bg. My phone took a long time to pull up the 3 of us. So went back to bed and we’ll start DH’s birthday day at DHS later this afternoon.

Sounds like a great start! We didn’t get a bg. My phone took a long time to pull up the 3 of us. So went back to bed and we’ll start DH’s birthday day at DHS later this afternoon.
Awww, bummer. Hope you have better luck at the 1pm round if you will be in the park then.

Hi all - even though I have been to WDW several times, I always get very overwhelmed walking into MK and never know where to start- then end up running across the park in what is probably an inefficient way from ride to ride. Can someone help me with a strategy?

It will be myself and my DD who is 9, and a total thrill seeker. All the rollercoasters are a must do. We will rope drop for sure. We do plan on leaving for a few hours in the afternoon to rest and swim, and we will be back to MK in the evening for ADRs and to close the park down. We do have 2 MK days. We leave for WDW on Sunday and I know crowds will be high. Thank you!!

From our experience, it wasn't so much as a lack of food as much as it was a lack of options. Just seems like even the open restaurants have limited menus. Totally my opinion though. We always were able to find *something* to eat, but it does take a little pre-planning.

It's still early, but today (Monday) seems to be much better here at YC. It seems more calm and quiet and is less crowded.
I spoke with one of the managers on duty (Greg) and he said they were booked full through the weekend. Even though they were supposed to have my room ready the day before I arrived, anticipating my stay (it always feels like I'm some celebrity or something, they always do this to me now after I had a horrible stay), the system was down when I got there so they didn't want to send me to my room in case it hadn't been done since they were booked solid all last week and through the weekend. We were going straight to MK anyway so I didn't care, but knew it would be pretty busy when we got back (and it was). They were doing so well when crowds were lower, but I think they're having a harder time with a full hotel, not ready at all on how to enforce anything with that many people.

Hi all - even though I have been to WDW several times, I always get very overwhelmed walking into MK and never know where to start- then end up running across the park in what is probably an inefficient way from ride to ride. Can someone help me with a strategy?

It will be myself and my DD who is 9, and a total thrill seeker. All the rollercoasters are a must do. We will rope drop for sure. We do plan on leaving for a few hours in the afternoon to rest and swim, and we will be back to MK in the evening for ADRs and to close the park down. We do have 2 MK days. We leave for WDW on Sunday and I know crowds will be high. Thank you!!
You may have tried/seen this before, but the TouringPlans site is very helpful at building plans that help do exactly what you're describing--factor in (projected) wait times, steps, etc. to avoid some of the criss crossing. You can also use their app to help with some of this while in the park--mark attractions as "done," edit your plan on the fly, etc.

There is a subscription, but it's not much. $15 a year?

Now all that said, we've never been a slave to the plans. (And probably wasted steps/energy as a result!) My family is probably a mix of planning but then not being 100% tied to a scheduled plan if we want to deviate when the mood strikes.

We recently returned from our trip Home and I wanted to report in case anyone had any questions. We were there from 3/6 - 3/13 and stayed at the Riviera. Overall this was our best trip yet, even with the restrictions and the limited experiences.

I wasn't sure what to expect with crowds but we were pleasantly surprised how not crowded it was. Crowds did start to pick up towards the end of the week and I saw all the parks were completely booked. Mask compliance was around 95%. We saw a few noses here and there, but CMs usually asked nicely for them to pull it up. The biggest offense were guests walking and eating/drinking. It didn't terribly bother me because we were quickly walking by them, but it was annoying since we couldn't do it and yet others were. Also, my 3 year old fell asleep in the stroller and I guess he wiggled his mask off, he was covered by the canopy but a CM bent down to get a bag and noticed his mask was off and asked that I put it back on. We also encountered some unfriendly CMs, more than normal, but we tried to give them grace, it's been a tough year for everyone.

We visited the parks in the following order Epcot (3/6), MK, HS, Epcot, DS, MK and AK. We rope dropped them every morning (arriving an hour or so before official opening). We had the most success at HS, MK and AK doing this (makes sense). We were some of the first in HS and were done with Toy Story Land before the park even officially opened. Slinky was a walk-on and by the time we were talking out the line was all the way out of Toy Story Land. AK opened later than other parks (6:30 for a 7am opening) but we rode FOP with rider swap (the other parent would do Na'vi while waiting) and then we headed to Safari and had probably our best safari yet. The animals had just been let out and were running around everywhere. Everest didn't start running until 9am for whatever reason but we headed that direction. The line was back to Nemo but took maybe 20 minutes. In MK we headed to Frontierland on our first day and Tommorowland on our second MK day. We saved Mine Train for the evenings and that seemed to work for us. Most other Fantasyland rides were 10 minutes or less (with the exception of Peter Pan, Small World and Carousel) and we rode those multiple times.

We would stay in each park for 4ish hours before returning to the resort. Crowds were be heavy and wait times soared during this time. Then we would go back 2-3 hours before park closing. We hopped in line for several rides right before closing and experienced short waits. Our longest waits were for ToT (60 minutes, but the ride went down for a short time during that), and 60 for a bus after MK one evening.

For the most part people followed the social distancing guidelines. We encountered a few families that seemed to not pay attention to the markings but thankfully we weren't around them too long. Leaving rides was the worst when it came to social distancing but you're really just around those people for 30sec to a minute max. The Mexico area in Epcot was insane and I refused to walk through there. It was just shoulder to shoulder people some times.

For the Skyliner to HS we chose to walk to CBR instead of take the Skyliner from Riviera and have to get in the back of the line. I am glad we did because the Riviera line wasn't even running yet when we got on the Skyliner at CBR to head to HS. We wouldn't have been nearly successful that morning if we were that much later. Wait times are inflated, lines look long but generally move quickly. MMRR was posted at 60 and it took us 40 and we were constantly walking.

I am sure I am missing information so if you have any questions I am happy to answer. Again we had a great trip. I definitely recommend rope dropping and returning in the evening if you want to avoid crowds and the longest waits.

With this week being extremely busy was anyone able to get in line at the toll booths earlier than the typical 60 minutes before park opening

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter