We ate at OKW for 2 nights. Just restor. We spent 2 weeks at Vistana and 11 days in the parks. Will write up some thoughts on laptop soon. Regarding meal cancellations, we had to cancel several for various reasons. Soaking wet. Someone with a headache. Etc. we would bop into a park guest relations and they courteously and immediately made it disappear. I was in hold one with Disney dining for an hour and 17 minutes to cancel and then was disconnected.

*Please feel free to move if this is the wrong thread or if this has been answered elsewhere*

What hours does the Magical Express run right now? I am looking at about 7:30pm on a Saturday evening. Flights for that weekend are cheaper at that time, but I would be paying for an extra night at the hotel vs. flying in Sunday morning.

Is it possible to still get a bus from a skyliner resort to Epcot or Hollywood Studios? When I was at one last week it had looked like the area for a bus was roped off with a sign that said that you must use the skyliner. May be going to the parks solo this trip and I am definitely not comfortable going on a skyliner by myself, so trying to see if it may be better costwise to go to a different resort vs getting an Uber or Lyft to get around.
My understanding is they are only running buses if the skyliner is down right now. Not sure what your hesitation of doing the skyliner solo is, but as of now they are only putting one party in each gondola, so if you are by yourself you will be the only one on it if that helps you.

For the first question you should be totally fine with a later flight.

I missed park hopping more than expected. With shorter days in the parks, it would have been nice to hop to dinner in Epcot. I also really miss FP. I’m the target audience who will pay an up charge for FP, EMH, whatever they decide to offer. Our family just doesn’t do lines over 20 min, and it has never been a problem in the past with FP and rope dropping.

The park opening times are annoying, since they all “really” open 45 minutes or so prior to the posted time. We mostly drove to the parks, and the opening time for parking was a crapshoot. Like how are you supposed to know that HS opens at 10, but they will let you line up at maybe 9:00 or 9:15, depending on the day (it was actually 8:51 on Thursday). Or that the Epcot Skyliner starts at 9:50, even though the sign says it starts at 10:30. I just wish they would communicate this stuff more accurately. It took a lot more strategy to get to the parks than usual, but that’s because we like to rope drop.
Wholeheartedly agree with you. We returned home on Oct. 1 from a 10-day trip and experienced the same thing with openings. No information available and no consistent opening for the parking lot. However, the actual park entry was very easy at each park.

I suspect the slightly different, unadvertised early opening times for parking lots/parks and starting times for transportation day to day are an effort to minimize crowds.
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. One of our recent AK days had us puzzled as they made us wait until 8:15 to enter the parking lot. We parked, made the long walk to the entrance then straight to FOP and were in line 10 minutes before opening. The line was almost to the bathrooms near Festival of the Lion King. We could only surmise that all the people in line had to be from the buses.

At HS today. It was busy this morning for sure. Longer waits and hard to get through the crowds, especially in Galaxy’s Edge. But after 2:30, things have really slowed down. Shorter lines and lower crowds. It has been drizzling too, not sure if that is contributing to lower crowds or not. It feels great temperature wise though!

We got on MMRR this morning. Got in line at 9:35, waited 50min. This was the same as Wednesday almost exactly. I was able to snag boarding group 4! Again I turned off location services after getting in the park.

My daughter just barely reached 38inches for this trip and was able to ride all the 38in rides except for MFSR. The measuring stick right before getting on seems to be more than 38in. She passed the one at the front of the line, but not the last one. She wasn’t trying to stand up really tall, but she easily got onto Slinky without trying. So if you have a little one close to 38in then they may not be able to get on smugglers.

Overall this was a great trip! It started off rough on Monday morning, but since then the days have been great! If you are worried about crowds at HS then I would suggest waiting until after 3pm to come and to avoid Galaxy’s Edge. That has some choke points that did not allow for distancing. We felt very safe and were so happy to be there. However, it is too much money for us to fly across the country again and pay for tickets for our family to justify coming again until it is all back to normal. Not to mention that we all either just tolerated or despised the masks. But it was definitely a trip to remember!

We leave today after three nights in the Epcot resort area. We did three park days, but skipped MK. I think if we were to do this again I would skip HS. It’s at capacity almost everyday, and almost everyone who is visiting for the day shows up for rope drop. Making the morning really crowded. We visited on Friday and were able to pick up a boarding group, but we didn’t ride much other than that. Just shopped and walked around for a couple hours until they called us. We came back in the evening and rose MFSR, and it felt like everyone had given up on rules. Lots of visible noses and people ignoring the distancing markers.
Our trip to AK on Saturday was fine, but we should have avoided Pandora all together. It was very crowded and felt a little chaotic. That day we rode the safari, did the walking trails, ate at Nomad Lounge and then left.
We did Epcot on arrival day, Thursday, and it was great. Walked onto rides, barely waited for food and drink. It was easy to find a table away from other people. But again, the last hour of park operation felt sloppy. Lots of people drinking around the world and ignoring mask rules.
Overall, the last hour or so in the park is not great for safety, but it’s still not super bad. HS is best avoided because you are going to be there on an at capacity day, no matter what day you visit. And Epcot on a weekday afternoon is extremely pleasant.

Quick and dirty trip report:

1. Boardwalk for 7 nights. Limited quick food options close by. We ate a lot of pizza. Loved the hotel and clown pool, though the pool heater was broken and left me frigid and my daughter with blue lips LOL.

2. Parks seemed - I'm guessing - at half capacity. Not empty, but not packed either. It felt like maybe the 1990s? Epcot was the only park that actually seemed empty.

3. Food options were far more limited, and not flexible. I would strongly suggest making sit down lunch reservations at the (now) 60 day mark. It's a nice break for a meal and from masks. Don't count on making last minute reservations.

4. I'm a mask wearing person, but am not overly OCD about COVID. I felt fine and perfectly safe - just as safe as at my local store. I grabbed hand sanitizer when I saw it. Photopass to me is a bust with masks, though.

5. LOVED the mini parades. I hope they keep them.

6. We had a DAS pass, so I can't comment on whether line times were accurate. I can say most rides had a 20-40 minute posted time. I feel like we are getting to the point that Fastpass would be needed. Use the mornings - we did a lot of Fantasyland at rope drop. Posted wait times for the best rides did not necessarily drop at the end of the day - but again, ACTUAL wait times I'm not sure of.

7. Mask wearing really did not bother us. Even my three year old was fine. She only had issues when she was wanting to nap - we have a cute picture of her napping in a stroller, her mask covering her face and thumb. I was more frustrated with the limited entrance and exits - necessary, I understand, but at times I had to walk a block to find an entrance.

8. Loved the newer rides. Mickey and Minnie's was a hit with us, even when half our party got stuck! ROTR was also awesome. Finally rode Slinky Dog. My 3 year old is tall, over 40 inches, and rode everything! Newer rides are MUCH better equipped to handle handicapped visitors.

The one incident that sticks out in my mind was at the Contemporary. We walked over from MK to catch a Disney Springs bus (again, dinner is limited, so Disney Springs or bust). Bus #1 was full, and a line of people were sitting on benches waiting. So we got in the back of the line, with Grandpa and his scooter. Bus #2 came, and was filled. So at that point, Grandpa needed the restroom. I sat on the bench, front of the line of 15-20 people, waiting on Bus #3. A lady on a scooter comes past the line, and has a large group. Bus #3 comes, so we all stand to move forward. Grandpa is already back with his scooter, and Lady has a fit. She starts arguing that she was there, and has a party of NINE. The bus driver was young, kept saying he wasn't there, and puts the party of nine on the bus. Chaos ensues. Finally, a nice couple beside of me who were also arguing state they were in line, we were too, and that scooter lady was behind everyone. Bus driver loads us, then Grandpa with his scooter. At that point, party of 9 is on the bus and doesn't exit, but a man in the 9 says he "wants to stay with his wife" and gets off. Lady again starts yelling at the bus driver.

I am pretty sure Lady on Scooter did not realize that Grandpa was with me - Grandpa and Grandma ended up a couple of people behind me, and when boarded, sat by the scooter instead of us. That's an honest mistake. What I am flabbergasted about is that the Lady on the Scooter actually thought her party of 9, plus her, should skip the 15-20 people in line because she had a scooter. That was her goal. She thought she was the first scooter there, so she had her party of 9 board the bus before everyone else. They moved to the front of the line on arrival, and planned to jump the line. The issue was that we had a scooter too. Her husband left the bus because he "wanted to stay with his wife" - which would have happened naturally if they had not jumped the line. I feel so sorry for the groups of people behind us. I think Disney needs some "Line Starts Here" signs or something, because this was not necessary. Some folks said Contemporary had an employee there in the morning so it was not a problem then. They also really need a Disney Springs bus at the MK - there's no reason for us to walk all the way to Contemporary.

I'm exhausted, my daughter got a ton of toys, and I'm ready to go back to work - so all in all a good vacation! I'm hoping next trip we take it slower. We did a lot this week and went a lot faster than I had intended! My daughter and I are taking a special surprise trip in March, and I'm hoping to take it MUCH slower.

How fast are RoTR boarding groups running out each morning?

Sorry, i'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times but the search function is giving me alot of indo but cant find much recent.

I'd agree with boarding passes being gone consistently in less than 10 seconds.

How fast are RoTR boarding groups running out each morning?

Sorry, i'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times but the search function is giving me alot of indo but cant find much recent.

We just got back. It was less then 5 seconds at 10. I thought we had it but no. At 2 I thought we had it again but it turned out we had backup group 111. 111 came up around 6:30. It was fun.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. We returned home on Oct. 1 from a 10-day trip and experienced the same thing with openings. No information available and no consistent opening for the parking lot. However, the actual park entry was very easy at each park.

Park entry wouldn’t have been so easy if everyone had arrived at the same time! That’s why they have some earlier entry openings to spread out crowds.

Park entry wouldn’t have been so easy if everyone had arrived at the same time! That’s why they have some earlier entry openings to spread out crowds.

Yes, and I'm sure that's why it varies, and they don't announce what time exactly they're going to let people in early. Because if it was widely know that HS was always going to open gates 45 minutes before official park opening, then everyone would pack in at that time instead of official "rope drop". So leaving it a mystery helps spread people out a bit more.

Yes, and I'm sure that's why it varies, and they don't announce what time exactly they're going to let people in early. Because if it was widely know that HS was always going to open gates 45 minutes before official park opening, then everyone would pack in at that time instead of official "rope drop". So leaving it a mystery helps spread people out a bit more.

Exactly!

My understanding is they are only running buses if the skyliner is down right now. Not sure what your hesitation of doing the skyliner solo is, but as of now they are only putting one party in each gondola, so if you are by yourself you will be the only one on it if that helps you.

For the first question you should be totally fine with a later flight.

I was on one with a friend when it got stuck for a bit and they were having issues- and this was over the highway. I don't think I would be comfortable going on it alone. If a bus is not an option, would you recommend Uber or Lyft to a different resort and getting around via bus or other transportation that way? I heard it was getting harder to rideshare directly to places on property, but not sure if that's true or not.

How is photopass at the parks right now?
We saw plenty of photographers, many just standing around waiting for someone who wanted a photo. We didn’t take any photos this trip, because I personally don’t care to have them with masks (we have APs so have plenty of photos from other trips).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter