Continuing the Captain’s Log as my gf is now calling my posting. 😂 Note: I skipped Thursday because we went to Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs so nothing terribly useful to report other than light crowds at the water park so I suggest weekdays, and checking in late for our umbrella didn’t matter. We took a Minnie Van there but got the bus back to Poly via Disney Springs. If anyone has more specific water park questions I’m happy to elaborate. We enjoyed it a lot.

Yesterday we rope dropped MK. Something we really enjoy about doing it from Poly is Kona Island is right before the monorail platform so it’s very easy to grab something on the way. We got coffees before getting on the monorail at 7:28 and arrived to the tapstiles at 7:35. We were not terribly far back, only a handful of groups ahead of us at that hour, but we were also to the left which is always shorter; only monorail and the resort launch guests are coming from that direction so if you are getting there on the buses, I highly suggest going to the far left. Most bus guests will jump in the first lines they see on the right.

We were let onto Main Street a few minutes later. We were at the rope in Tomorrowland at 7:50 with only a very few other guests. At MK 95% of the crowd is headed to Fantasyland for Mine Train. If you can at all help it, don’t be those people. It’s a miserable way to start your day, with stressed out people jockeying for position, barreling through with strollers, etc. Just deeply unpleasant and if you can wait until the end of the night most times waits plummet. By contrast Tomorrowland EE is almost chill. They dropped the rope and started walking us over at 8:25 but when we got to Space the CMs said the ride was down and there was no ETA on it. We immediately pivoted to Buzz and walked straight on at 8:31, then got into Astro Orbiter at 8:47 (Posted 5 but was a walk on).

PSA: Always have a plan B for rope drop. Absolutely do not be the silly people who stood there at Space wasting their entire precious EE time waiting for a ride to come online with no ETA (it didn’t end up running until late morning btw). We saw the same people still waiting while we had gotten 2 rides in and were crossing over to Adventureland for “Second Rope Drop”, when the park opens at 9. Don’t be that guy.

We walked onto Pirates at 9:02, walked straight onto Big Thunder at 9:18 (posted 10), then tapped in for our 9:25 Jungle Cruise LL at 9:37 (posted 40). I pulled HM for 10am, which was posted 50 but really didn’t look it. After we did that, we did Small World at 10:24, was posted 5 which was accurate. Then tapped into Pooh at 10:49 which was showing 40 min waits. I had managed to pull a Space LL for 11:15 and so did that, thinking to try and be in the area for my Tron BG 56—it was very slow getting through groups that morning though. So after we did Space we had got Tron dumplings and I pulled a quick LL for parade viewing. It’s not the best use of one, but I’m really glad I did it since we were minutes away, and being right at the front got us great character views and interactions. (I had Maleficient ears and an Evil Queen shirt on so the fairies gave me stink eye 😂 among other things!)

BG was called not longer afterwards at 12:22, I waited 35 min total. We did our last LL of the day for Peter Pan at 1:25, when it was posted 70. We took our nap and pool break after that.

MK crowds were shockingly light most of the morning tbh. Waits did not really start to build in earnest until around 12:30 or so. We found using a mix of low standby lines and G+ was ideal but it was by no means necessary, it Space had been up at rope drop it would have been perfect. Even without it, as you can see we got a lot accomplished and without running around or having my face stuck in the phone. Also, as a hilarious coincidence, Gay Days was going on at MK, so we really enjoyed that as well. Effect on crowds was minimal. There are some nifty Pride photo ops throughout the parks and we got one right next to the infamous purple wall. Also, hilariously, we saw a double rainbow that night over Space.

We returned to MK at around 6p and got a walk up at Skipper Canteen but could have also gotten our pick of other restaurants besides CRT. After dinner we went to Tomorrowland, because gf was doing a Tron Identity appt. It’s a neat little experience but be careful about the evening appt, be sure to leave yourself enough time. It takes about 1-1.5 hours for your figure to be ready and after I rode my Tron LL at 8 we had to go straight to the plaza garden for our fireworks post-party. By the time we were done there we couldn’t get it, because Launch Depot closes before the park. So we will have to go back to pick it up today.

The dessert party was great though I will say the newer CMs are having a bit of a time getting up to speed. We were waiting along the back rail with another family when one told us we couldn’t stand there because it was stroller parking. We all sort of looked at each other in confusion and stayed out because it absolutely made no sense, and the CM never said anything to us again about it.

We also witnessed a “gentleman” (I say this loosely) quite literally try to plant a chair from the Plaza ice cream parlor seating area right in the grass (?!). A CM immediately, rightfully told him he couldn’t do that, and the guest copped an attitude with him demanding his name and claiming 2 other CMs said it was okay because he needed a seat for his elderly father. I worked in CS long enough to smell a customer trying to pull a fast one, and knew this guy was lying through his teeth but the CM politely stood his ground and said he could get him a wheelchair for the senior. And he did. So all of that nonsense was totally unnecessary. It did give us something to laugh about though.

After the show it wasn’t too awful going to the Terrace. The food itself was fine, but it was 100% worth it to sit down and enjoy desserts while the mass exodus from the park happened outside. I made myself a couple of pog-mosas. We went home afterwards.

Today is pool patio rest day so more reports tomorrow.

Continuing the Captain’s Log as my gf is now calling my posting. 😂 Note: I skipped Thursday because we went to Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs so nothing terribly useful to report other than light crowds at the water park so I suggest weekdays, and checking in late for our umbrella didn’t matter. We took a Minnie Van there but got the bus back to Poly via Disney Springs. If anyone has more specific water park questions I’m happy to elaborate. We enjoyed it a lot.

Yesterday we rope dropped MK. Something we really enjoy about doing it from Poly is Kona Island is right before the monorail platform so it’s very easy to grab something on the way. We got coffees before getting on the monorail at 7:28 and arrived to the tapstiles at 7:35. We were not terribly far back, only a handful of groups ahead of us at that hour, but we were also to the left which is always shorter; only monorail and the resort launch guests are coming from that direction so if you are getting there on the buses, I highly suggest going to the far left. Most bus guests will jump in the first lines they see on the right.

We were let onto Main Street a few minutes later. We were at the rope in Tomorrowland at 7:50 with only a very few other guests. At MK 95% of the crowd is headed to Fantasyland for Mine Train. If you can at all help it, don’t be those people. It’s a miserable way to start your day, with stressed out people jockeying for position, barreling through with strollers, etc. Just deeply unpleasant and if you can wait until the end of the night most times waits plummet. By contrast Tomorrowland EE is almost chill. They dropped the rope and started walking us over at 8:25 but when we got to Space the CMs said the ride was down and there was no ETA on it. We immediately pivoted to Buzz and walked straight on at 8:31, then got into Astro Orbiter at 8:47 (Posted 5 but was a walk on).

PSA: Always have a plan B for rope drop. Absolutely do not be the silly people who stood there at Space wasting their entire precious EE time waiting for a ride to come online with no ETA (it didn’t end up running until late morning btw). We saw the same people still waiting while we had gotten 2 rides in and were crossing over to Adventureland for “Second Rope Drop”, when the park opens at 9. Don’t be that guy.

We walked onto Pirates at 9:02, walked straight onto Big Thunder at 9:18 (posted 10), then tapped in for our 9:25 Jungle Cruise LL at 9:37 (posted 40). I pulled HM for 10am, which was posted 50 but really didn’t look it. After we did that, we did Small World at 10:24, was posted 5 which was accurate. Then tapped into Pooh at 10:49 which was showing 40 min waits. I had managed to pull a Space LL for 11:15 and so did that, thinking to try and be in the area for my Tron BG 56—it was very slow getting through groups that morning though. So after we did Space we had got Tron dumplings and I pulled a quick LL for parade viewing. It’s not the best use of one, but I’m really glad I did it since we were minutes away, and being right at the front got us great character views and interactions. (I had Maleficient ears and an Evil Queen shirt on so the fairies gave me stink eye 😂 among other things!)

BG was called not longer afterwards at 12:22, I waited 35 min total. We did our last LL of the day for Peter Pan at 1:25, when it was posted 70. We took our nap and pool break after that.

MK crowds were shockingly light most of the morning tbh. Waits did not really start to build in earnest until around 12:30 or so. We found using a mix of low standby lines and G+ was ideal but it was by no means necessary, it Space had been up at rope drop it would have been perfect. Even without it, as you can see we got a lot accomplished and without running around or having my face stuck in the phone. Also, as a hilarious coincidence, Gay Days was going on at MK, so we really enjoyed that as well. Effect on crowds was minimal. There are some nifty Pride photo ops throughout the parks and we got one right next to the infamous purple wall. Also, hilariously, we saw a double rainbow that night over Space.

We returned to MK at around 6p and got a walk up at Skipper Canteen but could have also gotten our pick of other restaurants besides CRT. After dinner we went to Tomorrowland, because gf was doing a Tron Identity appt. It’s a neat little experience but be careful about the evening appt, be sure to leave yourself enough time. It takes about 1-1.5 hours for your figure to be ready and after I rode my Tron LL at 8 we had to go straight to the plaza garden for our fireworks post-party. By the time we were done there we couldn’t get it, because Launch Depot closes before the park. So we will have to go back to pick it up today.

The dessert party was great though I will say the newer CMs are having a bit of a time getting up to speed. We were waiting along the back rail with another family when one told us we couldn’t stand there because it was stroller parking. We all sort of looked at each other in confusion and stayed out because it absolutely made no sense, and the CM never said anything to us again about it.

We also witnessed a “gentleman” (I say this loosely) quite literally try to plant a chair from the Plaza ice cream parlor seating area right in the grass (?!). A CM immediately, rightfully told him he couldn’t do that, and the guest copped an attitude with him demanding his name and claiming 2 other CMs said it was okay because he needed a seat for his elderly father. I worked in CS long enough to smell a customer trying to pull a fast one, and knew this guy was lying through his teeth but the CM politely stood his ground and said he could get him a wheelchair for the senior. And he did. So all of that nonsense was totally unnecessary. It did give us something to laugh about though.

After the show it wasn’t too awful going to the Terrace. The food itself was fine, but it was 100% worth it to sit down and enjoy desserts while the mass exodus from the park happened outside. I made myself a couple of pog-mosas. We went home afterwards.

I know it’s not really your demographic, but did you notice if there’s plenty to do for smaller children at VB? I’m going with my bro/sil, nephew, his wife, and his almost 5yo and almost 3yo in September, and his wife wants to do a VB morning on our MNSSHP night. I, personally, think that will be too tiring and am trying to steer her toward a more simple pool day, but this is her trip, and I’m just the tour guide.

I know it’s not really your demographic, but did you notice if there’s plenty to do for smaller children at VB? I’m going with my bro/sil, nephew, his wife, and his almost 5yo and almost 3yo in September, and his wife wants to do a VB morning on our MNSSHP night. I, personally, think that will be too tiring and am trying to steer her toward a more simple pool day, but this is her trip, and I’m just the tour guide.
I can’t speak to VB because we don’t do Uni but TL would be great. We were there around 4 hrs and spent most of it in the lazy river but we saw tons of small kids having a blast, the kiddie area looked fun and the slides were mostly family type and not too intense. The lazy river is a ton of fun and very relaxing. It’s perfect to pair with another park or activity later in the evening because imo it’s really not a full day park. We left around 2:30 because the weather was looking iffy and went out to dinner at Disney Springs.

I can’t speak to VB because we don’t do Uni but TL would be great. We were there around 4 hrs and spent most of it in the lazy river but we saw tons of small kids having a blast, the kiddie area looked fun and the slides were mostly family type and not too intense. The lazy river is a ton of fun and very relaxing. It’s perfect to pair with another park or activity later in the evening because imo it’s really not a full day park. We left around 2:30 because the weather was looking iffy and went out to dinner at Disney Springs.
Oops - I meant Typhoon Lagoon, sorry! Thanks for answering like I wasn’t an idiot! 😂 (I’ve been to VB, and it’s not very little kid friendly - great for older kids though!)

Oops - I meant Typhoon Lagoon, sorry! Thanks for answering like I wasn’t an idiot! 😂 (I’ve been to VB, and it’s not very little kid friendly - great for older kids though!)
No worries, I would say TL is very small kid friendly just from observations. Only place I would be extra cautious is the wave pool, on a day like Thursday when they crank it up real high the waves are enormous and can take down grown adults. We stayed out because I can’t swim but our umbrella was facing it so we saw it all day.

Wednesday was moving day. We packed up at YC and had Bell Services move all of our stuff to the Poly, sans my laptop bag, gf’s backpack and the few perishables we had in the fridge. Took a Minnie Van over around 9:45, dropped off the things we carried, then took the monorail over and had breakfast at GF Cafe. Everything was great as usual, though for some reason the chicken & waffle is no longer listed as being safe for peanut/tree nut on the allergy menu. Our server thought it was a misprint because she talked to the chef and it’s still safe. We then had a couples massage at the spa which was amazing, the process is slightly different now than when it was Senses, now you pick a stone which determines the scents etc. But it’s the same great experience.

Afterwards we walked back to Poly, and the new version of the temporary path is very clearly marked. About halfway there though a passing CM offered us a lift in his golf cart! Our room still wasn’t ready yet and I was concerned so we went to the front desk and a CM with an iPad said we weren’t showing as being checked in despite me doing it online. She got it straightened out and in the meantime we got dole whip and then took the boat to MK at around 3pm. Crowds there were moderate but not terrible. We had purchased Tron ILL for that night and stacked LLs for the afternoon so we did Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan, then booked HM and rode that.

By then we got our room ready text so headed back to Poly to get settled and called up for our bags—we have AirTags and saw earlier they had been delivered around when we got back from GF. We had an Ohana ADR for 5pm, and I have to say for all the complaining online about how it’s allegedly gone downhill it was just as good as we remembered the Twilight Feast was. The chicken in particular was insanely good, not just the potsticker course. We also weren’t rushed at all. The ukelele player was wonderful and while they are not doing the coconut races, he did go around the restaurant asking if any “cousins” were celebrating anything and led rousing cheers for each person. I was first up with my birthday! It was so fun to see the milestones, other birthdays, newlyweds on honeymoons, etc. One gentleman was celebrating having successful brain surgery and got the biggest cheers.

After dinner we went back into MK around 8pm, for my Tron ILL. Absolutely loved it and I genuinely don’t understand the complaints about it being too short—it felt about the same length as RNRC imo, and was long enough for me. I think it’s suffering from very unfair comparisons to Cosmic Rewind imo, a much newer (and better) ride. We got on the People Mover afterwards and rode it back to back during HEA, the CM let us stay on the ride without getting up. Was awesome seeing fireworks like that. After that we walked onto Buzz, TLM, small world, Dumbo and HM again before EEH started. I did take notes for EEH:

1. Pirates - 11:10pm posted 5 (was a walk on)

2. BTMRR - 11:30pm posted 20 (was a walk on)

3. Tron BG 228 called 12:03 - on ride at 12:42. It had actually been called before that but I didn’t get a pop up notification and only noticed after I had jumped in the line for Space.

We could have done many more rides but at that point were exhausted so called it a night after that. I would advise beginning in Adventureland. Everyone seemed to run to HM first which spiked at the start but was then a walk-on. Mine Train was posted 45 (and looked too long for me) all night so we opted out. Otherwise it was very much worth it. My one gripe is the VQ line for Tron was a massive time suck. We could have easily done 3 other rides in that time. I had the same issue at Epcot with Guardians.

In general, my biggest advice is that rope drop is still very advantageous but if you can’t or don’t want to do it, it is absolutely not necessary to get a lot done with G+. Even without it, at HS in particular wait times plummet in the late afternoons for all but the big E tickets and even those do drop some—Rise was 45 min at one point early Monday evening. Unless you want to do shows or meet and greets evenings really are where it’s at imo. We got more done at MK in those couple of hours even before EEH than I have on previous rope drops.

Another note: there has been a lot of sturm und drang online about how the magic is gone, CMs are awful now, etc. and if you take nothing else away from my posts on this trip, please disregard the moaning and complaining online. The magic is absolutely there. I know some might point to the money we’ve spent and say “of course, you’re getting LLs, and fancy experiences” but we have seen so many magical things that cost nothing. At ’Ohana the ukelele player was fantastic and as he was wandering around the restaurant strumming tunes, I watched him quite literally soothe a crying toddler in mom’s arms with a smile and a song. Mom teared up a little with joy. These are the little things that have always set Disney apart and they are absolutely still happening. We are having a wonderful time.

Will report on today later on.
Glad you enjoyed dinner at ‘Ohana. We also had a fabulous dinner there a few weeks ago. It’s a must do for our family each trip and this year was as wonderful as we remembered.

Arrived at 7:30pm.

No Genie+, walked onto MIckey’s Runaway, Rise x 2, and Smugglers Run.
Yeah this is 100% accurate. We actually scrapped our evening plans for dinner at Citricos tonight and hopped a Minnie Van to HS around 7pm for a Rise ILL. After we did it we shared some light bites and drinks at Baseline and noticed Rise was posted 10. We walked onto it, MMRR and SDD. After about 7:30 everything was a walk on. This and our previous experience on my birthday night now have me convinced afternoon stacking with G+ combined with early evening arrivals are the best way to tackle this park unless you really care about shows. Not only were the crowds incredibly light, the weather was a bit breezy but gorgeous. You will not have a better/more pleasant time with rides. Ofc this does require Rise to be up, which is the wildcard. But we didn’t have G+ today, just the ILL which in hindsight wasn’t necessary at all.

As an aside we also ran into Rob from EarScouts while at Baseline. He wasn’t filming and normally idc about YT people but I had to thank him for being the best darn trip planning channel right now. He was super nice too.

Yeah this is 100% accurate. We actually scrapped our evening plans for dinner at Citricos tonight and hopped a Minnie Van to HS around 7pm for a Rise ILL. After we did it we shared some light bites and drinks at Baseline and noticed Rise was posted 10. We walked onto it, MMRR and SDD. After about 7:30 everything was a walk on. This and our previous experience on my birthday night now have me convinced afternoon stacking with G+ combined with early evening arrivals are the best way to tackle this park unless you really care about shows. Not only were the crowds incredibly light, the weather was a bit breezy but gorgeous. You will not have a better/more pleasant time with rides. Ofc this does require Rise to be up, which is the wildcard. But we didn’t have G+ today, just the ILL which in hindsight wasn’t necessary at all.

As an aside we also ran into Rob from EarScouts while at Baseline. He wasn’t filming and normally idc about YT people but I had to thank him for being the best darn trip planning channel right now. He was super nice too.
I stopped reading once you mentioned Baseline. Might be my favorite spot in all of WDW..

How early do you get to the gates before opening time? If your want to do true rope drop and get to certain rides (ie flight of passage, jungle cruise, etc)
Be at your bus stop about 90 mins. before early entry. This should put you at the front of the pack for security, tap styles and again for actual rope drop. - Assuming there are no issues/unforseen circumstances etc. I will say when we went in Feb. 90 mins. was not earlier enough for MK at Pop one morning. - The line was huge and we had to wait for multiple buses. - This is not normal though and the only time over many years that we have not been on the 1st bus when we were trying for it.

So the stroller parking in the back is a new thing. Helps to keep the grass clear. I thought it was weird too. But logistically makes sense in maximizing space.

So the stroller parking in the back is a new thing. Helps to keep the grass clear. I thought it was weird too. But logistically makes sense in maximizing space.
That's really unfortunate. That was our "go to" spot to have a little more breathing space. "Maximizing space" at Disney just says to me they want to squeeze a few more bodies into this expensive experience.

Be at your bus stop about 90 mins. before early entry. This should put you at the front of the pack for security, tap styles and again for actual rope drop. - Assuming there are no issues/unforseen circumstances etc. I will say when we went in Feb. 90 mins. was not earlier enough for MK at Pop one morning. - The line was huge and we had to wait for multiple buses. - This is not normal though and the only time over many years that we have not been on the 1st bus when we were trying for it.

I will say on my recent trip (a couple weeks ago), bus service was really on-point. There were some big crowds at some of the bus-stops in the morning, expecially for MK (I was at All-Star Music), but they were rolling them fast. There were often two stacked to pick-up for MK - the double bendy-busses too. People weren't waiting long. Fortunately for me I was tending to be going agianst the crowds I guess as my park busses weren't so packed that early. It was one of the most efficient trips I've had in a while as far as the busses are concerned though.

Last edited:
That's really unfortunate. That was our "go to" spot to have a little more breathing space. "Maximizing space" at Disney just says to me they want to squeeze a few more bodies into this expensive experience.
I completely agree. I did the same thing as you did. Had to squeeze between strollers. Probably will pass on this experience in the future if I can’t get a space away from people.

I completely agree. I did the same thing as you did. Had to squeeze between strollers. Probably will pass on this experience in the future if I can’t get a space away from people.
Same. This just went on my “things I used to do but don’t do any longer” list.

Loving and living vicariously through your Captain's Logs, kylenne! I think Rob from EarScouts and Mr. Morrow are the only YT people I might actually stop and say hi to in the parks. I am very loyal to the combo of EarScouts and Disney Tourist Blog G+ strategy. (Speaking of which, I'd probably say hi to Tom from DTB too!)

Will post in more detail but crowds have spiked considerably over the past couple of days to the point I’m almost not sorry we leave tomorrow. HS waits were out of control this AM (a rocky start for EE with RNRC on a delayed opening and Tower only running one side didn’t help) and G+ was the only reason we rode anything—LLs were very easy to pull. But it’s very clear schools have let out in earnest now.

Will post in more detail but crowds have spiked considerably over the past couple of days to the point I’m almost not sorry we leave tomorrow. HS waits were out of control this AM (a rocky start for EE with RNRC on a delayed opening and Tower only running one side didn’t help) and G+ was the only reason we rode anything—LLs were very easy to pull. But it’s very clear schools have let out in earnest now.
I agree the change from Friday to yesterday was crazy! So much busier as the weekend went on!

I hope you had a fabulous trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter