Here right now. have the GAC ... Life is still h*ll. can Disney help??

Have you tried putting damp washcloths in a baggie and freezing them, then using them to help cool him down? If you took several in the parks in a small cooler, he could maybe drape it on his neck or wipe his face with it until it gets warm. It wouldn't be dripping wet, just cold. If you can find those cooling collar things in the parks, you might want to buy them and try them for him if he can stand those on his neck. I know when it is hot out, I find something like that refreshing and it helps my mood, and I don't have ASD. It might help him too.

I wish you and your family good luck and I hope the rest of your trip gets better.

pp my heart breaks for you. my son is asd also and 4yrs old. glad you got some great tips for the trip. one other advice for future trips, picture schedules. we are from mass and travel to disney 2-3 times a yr and once the therapist suggested picture schedules it made a huge difference. of course we still only go to the park for about 3 hrs at a time. can you try to give your son deep presure massages before heading out? also you mention lack of wearing a winter coat, been there. hate to wrtie our long program how to get him to wear one but if you are interested please feel free to email me missmilamagic@yahoo.com hugs and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip
An idea since he has an iPad and likes it-
There are some great story making apps available that can be used for social stories. Many allow you to either take pictures inside the app or use pictures from your picture album or the Internet. If his iPad has a camera, you could take some pictures now on your trip to make some social stories.
If you do a search for
social story disney world
you will even find some ready made ones that you could use for a model.

The app I am most familiar with is Pictello, but you can find a lot of other ones by doing a search of the App Store for social stories.

There is some more information in post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread under communication devices.

I wouldn't expect you to really look at it objectively at that point. I would shut down completely if that was going on around me.

I'd say take it as a learning experience but that doesn't make your current trip any better.

Maybe you just have to go for broke, make the best out of what seems like a crappy situation and what will be will be. (cliches much?)

So sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having. My daughter has autism as well as many physical disabilities, but Disney is the BEST place for her. She loves pin trading and interacting with the CM's. we are going next month, but due to the sudden decline in her physical abilities, I'm concerned about her being able to walk for long. We used a ouble stroller intel she was 12, but feel a little awkward using one for a 15 yr old. Her biggest thing at the park us pin trading, so we buy a couple hundred pins in advance and let her trade all day. Yes, we have meltdowns and is NOT patient at ALL. Disney always done their best to accomidations her. What drives me crazy is when we get to a paraid early and someone alwaysvpushes themselves in front of us. I wish there was a designated area for just families with special need kids so rude parents don't push their littlemdarling in front do us so we can't see. Is there a location for handicapped area?

This is actually my first time posting ever (sorry if I'm doing it wrong), but I really wanted to give you some support.

Our last trip to Disney we were 4 days fresh out of the hospital with our 4 year old. He has, among a bajillion other things, epilepsy, hydrocephalus, asthma, at the time hypoglycemia, and he was still recovering.

We were lucky to stay at Wilderness Lodge, because we only got 2 hours out of him at a time. That's 2 hours from leaving the resort (counting travel time) to where he starting breaking down. And he took at least another 2 hours in a dark, cool resort room before we could even think of going out again, not to mention that sleep was totally off.

We used the First Aid Stations a LOT - we were there every time we entered a park to drop off meds, whenever we needed somewhere quiet and cool with wayy less stimulation, or to give meds or check hydration.

We used a GAC plus a FastPass for pretty much every ride we did - and we only did 1-2 rides in a day. Anything past that was cake.

We spent a lot of time in table service meals, because it was air-conditioned and a great way for my son to see characters and have fun, and eat a bit more because he had a couple of hours to do it in. It also gave him some higher tolerance for the heat in the park afterwards.

Finally, we just had to accept that this is how we do Disney. Go to the park, do a character meal, do one ride with a FastPass and GAC, maybe a second if we're really lucky, then head back to the resort for a 2-3 hour rest time in a dark room. Then do it again in the evening. We'd also switch off, so one parent stayed for the daytime rest break while the other went out, and then we switched at night, so the daytime rest parent go to go out at night.

Did we get a lot done? No. Did we have the Meltdown of Meltdowns in Epcot? Yes. Was a good trip? Well, he didn't end up in the ER with more seizures, so yes.

*hugs* but those trips when it really gets shoved in your face that no, being at Disney does not make everything better? They suck. They really suck.
*hugs and sympathy*

I read what you wrote about meal time being a disaster. We've had the same. I keep an arsenal of "stuff" in my back pack for him. There is alot of stimulation at dinner time especially if you are eating at a full restaurant.

The last time we ate at the Coral Reef, ds had to wear his noise blocking ear muffs. Neither the fish in the tank, the kiddie menu, or our phones were enough to entertain him til the food came. I had to get out some legos for him to play with at the table. Once he is finished eating, he is finished sitting. So bringing out his food before ours as some servers have tried to do to help, actually makes it worse. He ended up interested in the park map, and we were able to entertain him with that.

If we eat there at 11:30 when the restaurant first opens, we don't have any problem. The place is quiet, and that makes a huge difference.

Same thing at Columbia Harbour House. If we eat there at opening he is fine. If we eat there at a busy time, it's too much to handle. Sound really echos there and he finds it painful even with the ear phones.

I want to thank you all so much! We're cecling into the Treehouses right now for our final few days. As soon as I'm settled in, I'll sit down w/ the pad and reply to everyone.

Quick thanks to someone mentioning the massage. I haven't had success w/ that so much s brushing. . He loves Being brushed and I did pack one. I just hadn't thought of it this trip. Duh me! I'll beak that rush out when the villa is ready. Hopefully SOON!!

Big hugs to everyone. I get pretty sad about how judge mental people are but the DISabilities board I've always loved! Thank you!!!

I want to thank you all so much! We're cecling into the Treehouses right now for our final few days. As soon as I'm settled in, I'll sit down w/ the pad and reply to everyone.

Quick thanks to someone mentioning the massage. I haven't had success w/ that so much s brushing. . He loves Being brushed and I did pack one. I just hadn't thought of it this trip. Duh me! I'll beak that rush out when the villa is ready. Hopefully SOON!!

Big hugs to everyone. I get pretty sad about how judge mental people are but the DISabilities board I've always loved! Thank you!!!

Get the other people out of your mind. They haven't walk a second in your shoes so they have no clue!!!

Do you do joint compressions with the brushing? I find the Wilbarger Protocol and join compressions really work with ds. The brush is another thing I keep in my back pack. Works just as good over clothing, even in front of people if need be.

If you are on facebook, you might want to check out Autism Discussion Page. He has wonderful advice, tools, etc.

I want to thank you all so much! We're cecling into the Treehouses right now for our final few days.

Another thing to consider for future trips is whether the split stays trigger his behaviors. I think you've mentioned 3 resorts now. I know each kid is different and some like the change of scenery. Our DD loves knowing where our room is, where her bed it, which drawer has her stuff, and by mid-trip knowing her way (somewhat) around the resort (pool, playground, food court, bus stop). I'd love to try out different resorts, but with DD we need the "routine" of staying put in one place. It helps a lot with expectations.

Glad to hear things seem to have been somewhat better in recent days!

Another thing to consider for future trips is whether the split stays trigger his behaviors. I think you've mentioned 3 resorts now. I know each kid is different and some like the change of scenery. Our DD loves knowing where our room is, where her bed it, which drawer has her stuff, and by mid-trip knowing her way (somewhat) around the resort (pool, playground, food court, bus stop). I'd love to try out different resorts, but with DD we need the "routine" of staying put in one place. It helps a lot with expectations.

I agree. In my opinion, split stays are not a good idea. Our kids need familiarity. Changing hotels every couple of days is usually not a good idea.

I agree. In my opinion, split stays are not a good idea. Our kids need familiarity. Changing hotels every couple of days is usually not a good idea.

this:thumbsup2

btw-i was just watching karl pilkington earlier with my ds, do you watch an idiot abroad? :cool1:

I understand what your saying. We've only been to WDW a few times since he was born and he's only 4 so what he likes and doesn't as as much a guessing game now as ever. Turns out that our move into the AKV and now and finally, treehouse have actually made him SUPER happy. He has been exploring for hours in each place. I really didn't want to do a split this time let alone 3resorts, but there were reasons. Thankfully, we will only be doing a cruise in 2014 when we return next. ONE place. ONE move. As yiu guys w/ ASD kids know, they are all puzzles to figure out and sometimes impossible to predict. We do our best.:sick:

I agree too. My son would have so much anxiety if we were to switch resorts. He gets anxious enough that housekeeping comes in. He is so worried they will touch his things. He craves familiarity and routine, especially on vacation. Mine is not very good at transitioning.

I also agree. Daniel NEEDS routine and familiarity. It's actually not been the resort moves he's been reacting to but the trip itself set him off big time. Night 2 he cried for over 3 hours just wanting to go home. The whole trip has messed w/ his routine. :guilty: thankfully, the moves have made him happy. You just never know.:confused3

I also agree. Daniel NEEDS routine and familiarity. It's actually not been the resort moves he's been reacting to but the trip itself set him off big time. Night 2 he cured fir over 3 hours just wanting to go home. The whole trip has messed w/ his routine. :guilty: thankfully, the moves have made him happy. You just never know.:confused3

Your son is only 4, right? This is all fairly new to you. It takes time to know what works and what doesn't work for our kids. And even then, they change, and it requires us to adapt too. Give it some time. You will have it all figured out. Planning is essential. Each and every aspect of the trip needs to be planned and our kids need to be kept updated on things before they happened. I know it's so hard in the beginning. :grouphug:

Hang in there.

Howdy "neighbour"! (ssr here).

If not already came to mind; try out the different pools here as they all are SO different, you might just find one of them somehow falling on DS' good side. The one on the grandstand is great and close for a walk from THV. Main pool at SSR is LOUD but does offer much activities if he likes it. And the one at the Paddock has a much loved slide and sort of barrel filling up with water and then dropped on guests. Perhaps he likes either being soaked that way or seeing others being soaked?

Oh and walk around the lakes here at SSR when out and needing him to cool down. With the winds, the fountains keep spraying mist water over you as you walk the walkways surrounding them. Not annoyingly but enough to really cool down. Heck, the wind is pretty intense quickly around the lake and does cool you off loads more than walking in between buildings already. Might be an option if around somewhere and needing a quick cool.

How is he with lego? If it tickles him, might be an option to go to the lego-store at slower times (like weekday morning), so he can play at those tables outside without it being a zoo.

i didn't know if karl p would relate well with us audiences?
glad you get his humour :cool1::cool1:
oh my goodness yes. :rotfl2:

And Karl is a perfect example of why not to change resorts 10 time in one trip. I get anxiety just watching him bounce around. Can you imagine him as a kid on vacation? lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter