"Hidden" Tours & experiences

Jess.stw

Mouseketeer
We love doing the out of the way smaller tours & events--for example in California there is an architecture tour of the Grand Californian and a morning pre-park open "power walk" in the park. Trying to put together a list of these for our 25th anniversary trip. We haven't been since 2000.

So far I have on my list--

Food/Restaurant tour at Animal Kingdom Lodge (daily at 4pm)
"Legend of Conch Flats" Imagineering tour at Old Key West (Wednesdays at Saturdays 10am)
"Wonders of the Lodge" art and architecture tour at Wilderness Lodge (Wednesdays & Saturdays 9am)
“Floridian Express” tour of Grand Floridian and "backstage" at Victoria & Alberts (Tues, Thurs, Sat 9am for $15)

Can anyone add to my list?

I don’t have any to add to this, but I’m bumping it up in hopes you get some replies. I’d love to have this info in my hip pocket for those rainy days, hard-ticket event mornings, etc. When I end up with a non-park day, I never think of this stuff! And DH and the kids are ok killing time at the resort, but I usually want to go DO something!

Many of the resorts do a 3K (or so) "fun run". I know Y&B Club is Thursday, Boardwalk Friday....I think POFQ is Sunday? Anyhow that's another fun thing, you get a pin for a medal or some other swag (bengiet at POFQ). We will do the Y&B and maybe the Boardwalk too.

I have the Behind the Seeds tour booked for August as I too wanted a few small tours that didn't take a lot of time for myself and my 10 year old.
The other I have chosen- is Up Close with Rhino's at Animal Kingdom. It's a newer 1 hour tour that is only offered at 11AM daily. I like the idea of 1 hour extras that don't take away a whole day in the park- but simply add a small extra experience to the park day.
On another day at Animal Kingdom we are hoping to do the Animation Experience which I believe is free.

Many of the resorts do a 3K (or so) "fun run". I know Y&B Club is Thursday, Boardwalk Friday....I think POFQ is Sunday? Anyhow that's another fun thing, you get a pin for a medal or some other swag (bengiet at POFQ). We will do the Y&B and maybe the Boardwalk too.

I've almost done all of these, two left to go! They are a lot of fun and you get some pretty cute swag! I still need to do Saratoga and Old Key West, but have done all the others. Coronado has a really cute one, and Riviera's new one is nice around the lake!

I've almost done all of these, two left to go! They are a lot of fun and you get some pretty cute swag! I still need to do Saratoga and Old Key West, but have done all the others. Coronado has a really cute one, and Riviera's new one is nice around the lake!
What??!? Shut the front door! I had NO idea! How do you find out where and when? Is there a master list? Would love to do this!!

Here is a "cheat sheet" to all the fun runs in this article--

https://thecastlerun.com/disney-world-resort-fun-runs-the-ultimate-cheat-sheet/
But they are all subject to change and listed on the hotel's recreation calendars.

Some other things I forgot and remembered when I looked at my google doc--

"Bead" activities at the Animal Kingdom Lodge
https://disneyhelp.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/bead-activities-at-animal-kingdom-lodge/
Skyliner scavenger hunts--
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2019...red-a-free-skyliner-pin-at-walt-disney-world/

I have the Behind the Seeds tour booked for August as I too wanted a few small tours that didn't take a lot of time for myself and my 10 year old.
The other I have chosen- is Up Close with Rhino's at Animal Kingdom. It's a newer 1 hour tour that is only offered at 11AM daily. I like the idea of 1 hour extras that don't take away a whole day in the park- but simply add a small extra experience to the park day.
On another day at Animal Kingdom we are hoping to do the Animation Experience which I believe is free.

I had Up Close with Rhinos booked for March but when I tried to re-book for June it was already full for our AK day. :-/

Heh, when I first booked it, I'd called from a bar (early, like 6PM) on New Year's Eve (what? It was on my way home from work!). The CM said how popular the tour is, and then sounded all surprised, "OH! Yes, one is available for your day!" She sounded as excited as I was! It was pretty cute.

What??!? Shut the front door! I had NO idea! How do you find out where and when? Is there a master list? Would love to do this!!

Yep, they are awesome. Usually $15 each! One day I'll have to stay the night at Ft. Wilderness on a holiday so I can add that to my list!

I had Up Close with Rhinos booked for March but when I tried to re-book for June it was already full for our AK day. :-/

Heh, when I first booked it, I'd called from a bar (early, like 6PM) on New Year's Eve (what? It was on my way home from work!). The CM said how popular the tour is, and then sounded all surprised, "OH! Yes, one is available for your day!" She sounded as excited as I was! It was pretty cute.
If you haven't done it already, you could do the elephant tour instead - done several times a day so we were able to book a few days ahead. You don't get to touch them unfortunately, but get close up and lots of great pics! Loved that it was inexpensive and money went to conservation fund. Hoping to do Rhino tour next trip!

Lots of Animal kingdom smaller tours...behind the seeds at Epcot....any at Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios?

Behind the Seeds is a great way to spend an hour.....just be aware, if you have little ones who like to touch things....they do NOT allow anyone to touch anything (I think there's one plant you can touch). You also aren't allowed to walk anywhere other than the designated sidewalks/walkways (due to contamination). Our guide was wonderful, and you could tell she really enjoyed her job. Totally worth it, imo.

There is ongoing purple martin research at WDW and during the spring are weekly times when CMs are at the colony bird houses answering guest questions while doing research.

At CBR a CM had a telescope set up that guests could use to look at the house entrances.

FA85F056-1660-41CA-90DC-5FE29E029D31.jpeg

At Epcot on the day I went the head CM of the project was putting “Magic Bands” on the young birds and adults who didn’t already have one, as well as taking other measurements (the banding is done by international standards). This was by far the best “tour” I’ve ever been on at Disney and I highly recommend it for every level of birder or bird lover who visits in the spring.

5C572460-A1B1-491E-AC17-A3F54D6707C6.jpeg
7E130F2B-188C-47C1-8483-A3772DDFDBE9.jpeg
EEABD4DB-0AF4-470C-93C2-E77D8BC4492F.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter