High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

$30k out of pocket is the range we are looking at...the lowest right now is $25k with a high of $36k. I'm in shock.
Yikes! We are "lucky" that we don't have a large income- so far, the 2 public schools are around $14/15k per year after merit and financial aid. The one private school came in at $27k/year. Still waiting from 4 more private schools, and not sure what to expect. We did the cost calculator for all 4, and the amount we are supposed to contribute ranges anywhere from $12k up to $25k per year. We really can't afford more than about $16k per year- we don't want DD to have more debt than absolutely necessary. IMO, any amount more than a modest new car ($20,0000) is too much debt.

$30k out of pocket is the range we are looking at...the lowest right now is $25k with a high of $36k. I'm in shock.
Dd19's in state public university is around $26,000, dd17's will be $28,000, we are not eligible for financial aid. And we have three more teens!

Dd19's in state public university is around $26,000, dd17's will be $28,000, we are not eligible for financial aid. And we have three more teens!

I have one more to go after this one. The $25k is in state with a small scholarship. The $36k is her current top choice. Only one school gave financial aid. The rest only gave merit. It will be a tough several years.

Yeah I'm in shock too at sticker prices! Grad school was that amount for me (many many moons ago). the days of "working your way through college" are long long over unless it's a community college or tech school. And even then likely have to transfer to larger university at some point.

Yeah I'm in shock too at sticker prices! Grad school was that amount for me (many many moons ago). the days of "working your way through college" are long long over unless it's a community college or tech school. And even then likely have to transfer to larger university at some point.
I figure we'll be taking out loans to cover it. I simply cannot do it out of current income.

Wish I had found this thread sooner. DD graduates in May and today we hear from the last college she has applied to. So far she had one rejection, two wait lists and seven acceptances. The highlight of this process so far was wait list at Washington University, a college she wasn't even going to apply to. She is opening her final decision email during third hour today and will text me once she knows. Wow!!!

We are still waiting to hear from a whole bunch of schools...not any closer to a decision. Sigh!

We are having the strangest problem with DD's first choice school. We paid the tuition deposit online and we see if reflected in her account. Online it said that confirmation of attendance is completed when they receive that deposit and the "Intent to Register" form. When they sent the acceptance package, there was no Intent to Register form. DD looked on the website and found one there, completed it and submitted it via the web (it was a web form, not printable). The website said after receiving that, DD would be receiving information about housing, registration, etc. But so far nothing :(

DD has called, emailed, submitted a web request for information and she cannot get anyone to return her calls to just answer the simple question (did they receive the form). When she calls the admissions office, I think she is getting a student who then transfers her to one of the counselor's voicemail accounts. But none have called back.

Her assigned counselor did respond back to an email saying she was out of the office until 3/25 but to contact the admissions office and they can help her. But that went nowhere.

I'm really frustrated for her right now. I told her she needs to be taking a look at her 2nd choice school again, just in case. I hope it is just a busy time for the counselors but there is no excuse for ignoring all her requests to have a simple question answered.

Well, DD got her first rejection today. It was her big reach school, and she knew the chances were slim of getting in. She isn't upset about it, other than the little sting of rejection in general. Oh, well- this school has a less than 14% acceptance rate, so we knew it probably wouldn't happen.

3 more schools to hear from- one should be tomorrow, and the other two are going all the way to the bitter end (March 31) to release decisions. It will all be over in a week or so...

That's weird, jetskigrl. I'm sure it will all work out for you, but it's very nerve wracking in the mean time.

My DD got yet another wait list. This was a bad one. We were sure she would be accepted and it was one of her favorites. She was pretty upset. She got an award at school today, but it did not cheer her up at all. If anything, it made her feel worse. I let her go out tonight with friends (spring break starts tomorrow) and she seemed to perk up a bit.

Funny, I posted here on Wednesday about not being able to get a call back from the school and then yesterday we get the call back ;)

DD is all confirmed and the counselor sent her the housing information. This is really happening!
We are looking forward to the upcoming admitted students day so she can meet some of the other kids that will be going there.

Haven't posted in a while. DD was accepted to all the schools she applied (4 total), but none were much of a stretch. She's decided on her 1st choice (private, out of state). She was offered a nice scholarship, small grant and work study, however, it still puts the OOP about $5k/year more than the in-state public school (2nd choice). She knows she's responsible for coming up with the difference as our agreement has always been that her dad and I can/will fund the equivalent of 4 years at a state school. She has a job interview this afternoon as a host for a local restaurant. If she gets it, it'll be her first "real" job.

Biggest change on the home front is that there is now a boy in the picture. DD has not really dated. Her personality combination of shyness (anxiety) and sharp wit (sarcasm) doesn't play well with the typical high school boy. But one has risen to the challenge. She now has prom plans, which has left me a little unprepared. Heck, I think she's only attended one dance in all four years of high school. She's found the dress and shoes, but now there's hair, nails and flowers?

During spring break we visited her college choice. Not sure if she's really ready for the change in climate. We're in central Texas, which sees snow about once in ten years. She's moving somewhere that averages 50-60 inches a year!

One more rejection...these are all the schools she actually cares about. After a bit of grieving tonight and tomorrow, it's decision time.

One more rejection...these are all the schools she actually cares about. After a bit of grieving tonight and tomorrow, it's decision time.
I'm sorry to hear that. DD got waitlisted at the second school to release decisions this week. 2 more schools to go, and she probably only has a realistic chance with one. It sucks that the schools that wait to let kids know last are usually the ones least likely to accept them. Poor DD is starting to feel defeated by the process, and I hate that for her. She seems to have forgotten she already got accepted at 3 pretty great schools, and is dwelling on the rejection, wait list, and possible bad news to come.

The whole college application process stinks. We will be so glad when it is all over!

I'm sorry your DD is upset, MomofKatie. I'm sure in a few days she'll recognize the good choices she has. I think admissions are getting crazier each year.

Last edited:
I'm late to the party!

My oldest graduates in June. He's barely a B student (shh!! Don't tell anyone; I'll get kicked off the Dis!!) He has 6 acceptances and one rejection.

All his choices are small schools of under 3000 or so students. All but one (the lone SUNY) are within a 4 hour drive. His top two are both 2.5 hours away-- one near Scranton and the other near Philly. We're waiting for the final numbers on those two schools. Of course, his 1st choice is the more expensive of the two, with a current expected pricetag of about $32K; Number 2 comes in at $26K right now. I'm hoping the financial aid packages will somehow lower those numbers to a more manageable range. Both schools seem to be lovely places.

And I think you guys have convinced me to send in the housing deposit now. That way he can get started on roommate choice.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a B student, Aliceacc. I'm glad your DS will have good choices close to home. I'm afraid my D will chose the school 7 hours drive away.

Still, it's a drive.

My niece goes to school 14 hours from home. I would have a real difficult time with that.

I do wish we would get the final numbers though. There's a delay because he was adopted internationally, and I didn't think to send in his citizenship info until I was asked.

Holy cr*p! DD just got in to Carnegie Mellon for computer science. 60k a year and she knew she probably wouldn't be going. It's so sad. She worked her butt off and will probably end up ay a SUNY so we don't go bankrupt. She has gotten large merit scholarships at some pretty great schools but they still end up in the over $40k range. SUNY Bing offered her the Honors program and a Freshman research program so that softens the blow a bit. DH has a good job and we have saved, but this is soooooo much money. :(

Holy cr*p! DD just got in to Carnegie Mellon for computer science. 60k a year and she knew she probably wouldn't be going. It's so sad. She worked her butt off and will probably end up ay a SUNY so we don't go bankrupt. She has gotten large merit scholarships at some pretty great schools but they still end up in the over $40k range. SUNY Bing offered her the Honors program and a Freshman research program so that softens the blow a bit. DH has a good job and we have saved, but this is soooooo much money. :(

Ouch! Carnegie Mellon is amazing, but I am sure she'll do well at binghamton. Some really smart kids there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter