• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Congrats to everyone!!! Sounds like school is wrapping up all over now.
We've been out for a few weeks. Graduation over, grad parties starting, we took a quick vacation, followed by orientation.
DD has her schedule for fall and has met the roommate she hopes to be living with. She bought her computer and is busy setting everything up to her satisfaction. :)
We're having her grad party in a week and a half, and then it's just cruising through summer until we pack her up and head off to her school. Amazing how fast time has flown...

Oh, and FYI, make sure you have a person-to-person talk with your financial aid officer. I thought I had covered every scholarship/grant option available, but made a call to talk about a scholarship-match program (which she qualified for, yeah!!). And our financial aide officer noted a few things on DD's file and said, I think I have another grant you qualify for... sure enough, we had another $2,000 applied to DD's funding. Not a lot, but every little bit counts. So make sure you call, and they may have options you missed.

Wahoo! My DS just graduated last night, and is sleeping in today. Much to the annoyance of her class of 19 sister. Was so nice, my DS is not an emotional kid, but when he saw me, he gave me the biggest, longest hug I have had in years. I was trying not to cry. We already got the bill for his college, so the money train has started. He finally got his driving license, so he's growing up.

Here's to the High School Class of 2016! Congratulations!

Congratulations everyone! My DD graduated on Tuesday. The school forgot to sign her diploma (not an issue, they fixed it right away.) We are ready for the next step.

Another congratulations to all of the DIS parents out there and their graduates. :thumbsup2

I can't believe my DD is done with high school and will be moving on to the University of Mount Union in a few short weeks. Her final transcript came in and I am so proud of her hard work. She finished with a 3.819 GPA and was ranked 39th out of a graduating class of 385. We just got back from our vacation last week at WDW and the VGF to celebrate her accomplishment.

Grad%20picture.jpg

Last edited:

So today is the day - Graduation! I've been in tears most of week and have already cried once this morning! One of my co-workers (who's son is also graduating) said that she wasn't even going to bother putting makeup on today :)

It's been a whirlwind these past 2 weeks with Seniors Honor Awards Night, Senior Breakfasts (each academic club has one for the Seniors so my DD went to 3), and 2 Banquets. My DD didn't have to take any finals so her last day of school was last Friday and here's the day. She has had a sign on her bedroom door that says 6/16/16 and I can't believe it's here. Sorry for going on and on but I'm very emotional. We go for her college orientation in 3 weeks.

Good luck and congratulations Class of 2016!!!!

Congratulations everyone!!! We made it!!!

DD is on her last full day of classes today (but since finals are over, it is just to get each teacher to sign the clearance slip). Now on to rehearsals, Senior Brunch, Senior Lunch, etc. Her graduation isn't until next Wednesday though. I am so proud that she hung in there her final semester and is able to walk away with a 4.0 (weighted) GPA. She had a couple of rough semesters in the past 4 years so that was her personal goal :)

Ok wow - another Proud Mama moment. DD just got accepted into the Honors program at her college. They are only taking 16 kids this year and she got one of the spots.

From the website: "Established in 1995, the Honors Program invites 15–17 students each year to take their Liberal Arts and Sciences coursework at an accelerated pace and in an academically challenging environment. A special application for admission to the program is required. Successful completion of the Honors Program is noted on the transcript and is especially advantageous for students who are looking ahead to graduate school."

Mine graduated a couple of weeks ago and have done their college orientations. DD got her schedule of classes today and seems really happy. DS is working on his and he seems pretty happy as well. :goodvibes

Congratulations, everyone! That was quite a year! Now we can breathe a little! :rotfl2:

Anyone started shopping for dorm stuff yet? DD has her comforter set, need to get sheets, towels etc. Working on it bit by bit so amount of $ spent is spread out some- especially as still have to do back to school shopping for the younger two.

We have sheets and towels, a mattress pad, a tool kit, he's getting a printer for this weekend's graduation gift. I have bits and pieces of a first aid kit.

Once we have orientation next week, and gets his info on roommates a few weeks later, we'll have a better idea of who's bringing what.

Well - today is Graduation Day, finally!!!! I think we are the tail end of the graduations ;)

And then tomorrow DD has her advising appointment and will get registered for classes. Nothing like jumping from one thing to the next, LOL. I will have to wake her up (after recovering from Grad Night) just in time for her online session with the counselor, lol. Then we will be off to my Mom's for her graduation party with family.

Anyone started shopping for dorm stuff yet? DD has her comforter set, need to get sheets, towels etc. Working on it bit by bit so amount of $ spent is spread out some- especially as still have to do back to school shopping for the younger two.

DD was showing my Mom what she likes on the Residence Hall Linen's website and my Mom said Happy Graduation and ordered it for her ;) (she will get cash from my Mom too but my Mom also wanted to help with the dorm room supplies). So we have a good chunk of the basics done already. We won't get the big stuff until we see the room and she has a chance to coordinate with her roommates (she will be in a two-bedroom quad so she will have one girl sharing the bedroom but two others sharing the common area and bathroom/shower room).

So...is everyone graduated now? Time to update the name of our thread to College Class of 2020 :goodvibes

DD is all registered for classes now and has a great schedule (Mon - Thurs, 8 am to 3:30 pm, off from 11 - 12:30 for lunch each day). It would be nice to see her for 3-day weekends but I'm sure her Friday's (and probably a lot of weekends) will be spent in the studios working on her projects ;) We ordered all her textbooks but have to wait until after July 1st to order the Readers. I guess it isn't surprising at an art school that it looks like her art supplies will be much more expensive than her textbooks, LOL.

DD received her package from RHL and had so much fun opening up the huge box and pulling out all her new dorm room supplies. Now we are just waiting to get her room/roommate assignment.

Yay for class of 2020! Seems so far away right now but my second child will be graduating high school that year as well-and now that I've got some perspective I know these 4 years will FLY by...

I changed the title.

Looking at the date of the thread, I cannot believe this was started in 2012, the summer before our kids were about to start high school!! :faint:

We have plane tickets purchased for August, and my DD is somewhat excited for the move. She found a roommate on her college Facebook page, and they seem to be a good match. They skyped for 2 hours the other day! We will purchase everything once we get down to her college. All she will be bringing is two suitcases, and they will most likely just be filled with clothes! Since my other daughter is finishing up her last year of college, we are getting pretty used to the routine.

Hello everyone, from the parent of a Class of 2014/2018 student here!

A little unsolicited advice from personal experience. Even though there will most likely be a health services on campus, scout around and locate the closest urgent care center for those "not during office hours" medical issues (as well as hospitals) - preferably ones that are "in network" for your health insurance. My DD has to visit the ER during her first month on campus.

And for those that aren't taking a car with them, see if the campus participates in Zipcar. You only have to be 18 and can rent by the hour. It worked wonderfully for my D when she needed to make a grocery store run - only about $7.50.

Lastly, check out storage units early in case you want to leave a lot of things there during the summer. They get booked early. That's all and congratulations!

Yay for class of 2020! Seems so far away right now but my second child will be graduating high school that year as well-and now that I've got some perspective I know these 4 years will FLY by...

If all goes well, DD will be graduating in 2020 and DS will graduate high school in 2021 (he will be starting 8th grade this fall). But I'm sure there is a really good chance that both could be graduating at the same time. yikes, LOL.

I changed the title.

Looking at the date of the thread, I cannot believe this was started in 2012, the summer before our kids were about to start high school!! :faint:

:) Wow...I can't believe how fast it has gone by. I'm sure the next 4 years will go just as fast too. Before you know it, we will be talking about college graduation.

Hello everyone, from the parent of a Class of 2014/2018 student here!

A little unsolicited advice from personal experience. Even though there will most likely be a health services on campus, scout around and locate the closest urgent care center for those "not during office hours" medical issues (as well as hospitals) - preferably ones that are "in network" for your health insurance. My DD has to visit the ER during her first month on campus.

And for those that aren't taking a car with them, see if the campus participates in Zipcar. You only have to be 18 and can rent by the hour. It worked wonderfully for my D when she needed to make a grocery store run - only about $7.50.

Lastly, check out storage units early in case you want to leave a lot of things there during the summer. They get booked early. That's all and congratulations!

Thanks so much for the advice :) Luckily we are close by so DD can always come home and see her doctor here if she needs to, but that is a great idea to find an urgent care closer to the school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter