• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

We returned yesterday from orientation.

I've got to say: this is absolutely, without a doubt, the right school for my son.

The only tiny little detail to worry about is how we're going to pay for it. But I have no doubts as to the school he's chosen.

I've got to say: this is absolutely, without a doubt, the right school for my son.

The only tiny little detail to worry about is how we're going to pay for it. But I have no doubts as to the school he's chosen.

That's a great feeling, isn't it?
I really enjoyed DD's orientation because the school really fit her and she appeared to be in her element. She only had one disappointment during orientation, when her advisor informed her that she may not be able to be in a living-learning community plus the biology scholars program. She was really wanting to do both and so excited that she had been excepted into both programs. The advisor said they had never had a student do both programs before and it may be too much work. But, in the weeks since, the advisor (head of the biology scholars program) met with the director of the living learning communities and they came to a compromise to allow her to do both. So, she's super excited... :)
She also got to meet her roommate during orientation, so she's more relaxed about that component of college living also.

She's spent the week following her grad party picking up a few more items for school, and organizing her room and closets to separate home items from school items from long-term storage items. Probably a bigger chore than she anticipated, lol, but it's getting done.

She's pretty much ready to go. We're waiting on two more scholarships to apply to her account, then a matching grant from the school for one of those, then we'll make our final payment for year one and she's all set. I'll be glad when all the paperwork is complete.

Good luck with all the final planning, everyone!

I kept asking my DD about health forms and she said there weren't any on the website. Well, there were and they are due today...not going to happen! They also want a tuberculosis test, but DD is going abroad for 5 weeks. It will have to wait until she comes back. I'm off to the pediatrician to drop off the forms now. They say they can expedite (for an extra charge), but I'm not going to do that. DD screwed up. She can deal with the college. Learning experience and all.

punkin -- I feel your pain! Every day I come home from work and ask what progress has been made on the list we compiled as a family of all the tasks each person was responsible to complete. Mine are done, My husband's are in progress and will be done soon. My son can't seem to grasp that if he wants to go abroad at the end of the semester with his French Language and Culture class, he has to update his passport which expires in August. The other packing and prep stuff I could help with and finish if necessary, but I can't make the U.S. government process his passport application! And actually, he has to apply in person for a new passport, since he was under 16 when his current one was issued. This is incredibly easy for him, it's minutes from our home on the subway...

We have orientation at the end of July. It is really interesting to hear how other schools offer the program. Ours is two days with an overnight for the student, and one of the days is Family Orientation for us. My ds is going to school in NYC, so that other day is sightseeing for us :)

I have a colleague who's son just finished his orientation at a state school. Their big takeaway is that parents eat free on campus. Nice perk!

I'm hoping we learn more about renting or buying textbooks. Back in the Stone Age when I was in undergrad, we bought used textbooks and sold them back at the end of the semester, but I understand there is a new system available...

Maria :upsidedow

That is an awesome feeling!!! We knew DD's school was the perfect fit for her too but we thought there was no way we were going to be able to send her there (too expensive). When we got that letter with her scholarship information, we were so relieved.

DD doesn't have Orientation week until right before school starts but she got an email yesterday introducing all her classmates in the Honors program. Hopefully they will all start chatting and getting to know one another before school starts.

We have orientation at the end of July. It is really interesting to hear how other schools offer the program. Ours is two days with an overnight for the student, and one of the days is Family Orientation for us. My ds is going to school in NYC, so that other day is sightseeing for us :)

I have a colleague who's son just finished his orientation at a state school. Their big takeaway is that parents eat free on campus. Nice perk!

I'm hoping we learn more about renting or buying textbooks. Back in the Stone Age when I was in undergrad, we bought used textbooks and sold them back at the end of the semester, but I understand there is a new system available...

Maria :upsidedow

DD's orientation is a week long event (for the week before classes start) starting with Family Day on Monday. There is a movie night, a beach day, a day trip to Disneyland, etc. She moves into the Dorms the Saturday before Orientation week and I think that Sunday is something special for the dorm kids too. Sounds like an amazing week.

For text books, my nephew rents his from Amazon and it has been working great for him so far. DD only has 3 textbooks this semester and all are paperback and related to her drawing classes so she will want to keep them anyway. Her other books are Readers and we will have to order those. I don't think those can be returned.

Luckily it looks like the total for all her books/readers will be around $200 this semester. LOL - but her Art Supplies are going to cost us a lot more than that ;)

My kids, one graduated and one coming up on his senior year in college, would both recommend not buying or renting books until after the first day of class. It really becomes a scramble then, but it can save a lot of money in the end (from buying books that end up not being needed).

Congrats to the graduates!!

My DD has orientation the first week of August. Nothing yet about a roommate except that DD did fill out a questionnaire.

My kids, one graduated and one coming up on his senior year in college, would both recommend not buying or renting books until after the first day of class. It really becomes a scramble then, but it can save a lot of money in the end (from buying books that end up not being needed).

Wondering if we get a list of books from professors soon why should we wait? Do you think the list would be wrong?

Wondering if we get a list of books from professors soon why should we wait? Do you think the list would be wrong?

I'm curious about that too (since we haven't done this before). I'm pretty sure that I bought all my textbooks in advance but that was quite a while ago, LOL.

DD was given a First Day Requirements list where each teacher listed what needs to be brought to class on the first day. All the textbooks and a couple of the readers are included on that list. Since it says on that list that failure to bring all the supplies could affect their grade, I'm sure DD would not dare walk into the class without the things on the list (she would be horrified to be called out for not having something) ;) That will probably lighten up after the first semester though.

Dd had her housing set, got her letter last week. We have started buying what she needs. Orientation was a couple of weeks ago. She went without me which I encouraged as she needed to make decisions without being able to look at me for the answer. She went back to campus last week for an interview to get on the recruitment team. Haven't heard on that yet.

Classes are set, scholarships all in place, books are all e-books except one lab book so now she just waits for move in day in August. She is getting so very excited.

OK, I have a question I should have asked months ago... just about the time my husband spent 11 days in the ICU.

Where do you start the process of finding college loans? At your local bank/credit union? Do I just go to the credit union on Tuesday, and apply for a Plus loan or student loan, or do I shop around?

I just finished school myself, went back to become an RN. From that experience, yes, sometimes books are requested which are never used. Especially in the early courses. Multiple instructors can teach the same course and they don't all use the "materials" the same way. I was really frustrated when I bought books with an online access code (for double the cost of just the text) then never touched the e-materials. And a lot of the access codes include a digital copy of the text, so you could just buy the code without buying an actual textbook. That's just one example.

I'm curious about that too (since we haven't done this before). I'm pretty sure that I bought all my textbooks in advance but that was quite a while ago, LOL.

DD was given a First Day Requirements list where each teacher listed what needs to be brought to class on the first day. All the textbooks and a couple of the readers are included on that list. Since it says on that list that failure to bring all the supplies could affect their grade, I'm sure DD would not dare walk into the class without the things on the list (she would be horrified to be called out for not having something) ;) That will probably lighten up after the first semester though.

I recommended waiting to my daughter, but I think she'll end up buying ahead for the same reason. She'd be horrified if she was called out by a "strict" instructor who wanted them to have materials on the first day. I never had a professor do this, most of the first day was spent on expectations, syllabus, safety (in labs), etc. But, there could always be a first time.
And really, if they overpay for a semester or two, so be it. By sophomore year, they'll probably have met some upper classmen who can give them a heads up on what materials are truly needed from class to class, and they can save their money then. :)

OK, I have a question I should have asked months ago... just about the time my husband spent 11 days in the ICU.

Where do you start the process of finding college loans? At your local bank/credit union? Do I just go to the credit union on Tuesday, and apply for a Plus loan or student loan, or do I shop around?

I'm assuming most schools work the same way, they typically post government loan offers on the students financial aide page, they just have to officially accept or decline them there. For my daughter, the Parents Plus loans showed up there also, but I think you had to go through a link to get to the official site for application/acceptance.

DD's school had another link to pages of "alternative loans" offered by various banking organizations. You could compare rates, interest, fees, repayment schedules, etc. and then apply for those you were interested in taking advantage of. I can't tell you much beyond the basics since we didn't use any of those, but at a glance most of them looked comparable, rates I assume will vary based on credit rating.

Anyway, if you check your school website, they may have a page set up for this also. I don't know if it's universal, but seems likely that other schools provide the same information.

You can also contact your own bank or credit union to see if they can offer something better, but I wouldn't waste a lot of time, I'm not sure how quickly all of those different offers are processed.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I hope this gets you started.
Good Luck.

I just finished school myself, went back to become an RN. From that experience, yes, sometimes books are requested which are never used. Especially in the early courses. Multiple instructors can teach the same course and they don't all use the "materials" the same way. I was really frustrated when I bought books with an online access code (for double the cost of just the text) then never touched the e-materials. And a lot of the access codes include a digital copy of the text, so you could just buy the code without buying an actual textbook. That's just one example.

I recommended waiting to my daughter, but I think she'll end up buying ahead for the same reason. She'd be horrified if she was called out by a "strict" instructor who wanted them to have materials on the first day. I never had a professor do this, most of the first day was spent on expectations, syllabus, safety (in labs), etc. But, there could always be a first time.
And really, if they overpay for a semester or two, so be it. By sophomore year, they'll probably have met some upper classmen who can give them a heads up on what materials are truly needed from class to class, and they can save their money then. :)

I think if there was some sort of advance notice saying that coming to class without all materials would affect the grade, I'd have a hard time not just going ahead and getting the books ahead of time. But I doubt all of their classes are going to be that strict about it. Only buy or rent ahead of time if you must.

My friend spent a lot of money on the online code her daughter needed for class, only to have her show up the first day and have a free code written on the blackboard.

They'll have to feel their way through, but usually a day or two without books isn't the end of the world. Heck, some kids are still working out their schedules and miss the first day. But they need to be prepared to scramble at that point to get them ASAP.

I think if there was some sort of advance notice saying that coming to class without all materials would affect the grade, I'd have a hard time not just going ahead and getting the books ahead of time. But I doubt all of their classes are going to be that strict about it. Only buy or rent ahead of time if you must.

My friend spent a lot of money on the online code her daughter needed for class, only to have her show up the first day and have a free code written on the blackboard.

They'll have to feel their way through, but usually a day or two without books isn't the end of the world. Heck, some kids are still working out their schedules and miss the first day. But they need to be prepared to scramble at that point to get them ASAP.

Yeah, looking back at the document she received, I think hers is probably intended more towards the art supplies. Since it is an Art College and she will be spending an entire day in one class (and the class only meets once per week), I can see why they want them completely prepared the first day, otherwise that is 6 hours wasted if they don't have the supplies needed to do the work. But they do list the specific text books in the supplies to bring.

This is what hers says: First-Day Material and Supply Requirements – Fall 2016 Important! For the first week of class, bring the following supplies and/or materials and any required Textbooks to each studio class. Some of the supplies listed below are already in your Foundation Supply Kit. Failure to bring the required supplies may affect your grade.

Well, summer is just getting started for DD but she is having a blast already meeting her new classmates. They sent an email to all the honors students (it ended up being 18 total) and they formed a private Facebook group to get to know one another. The school also sent out the links to register for the Orientation week events and she has signed up for Whale Watching, Disneyland Day and is considering the beach day and comedian/dinner night. All of that is included for first year students (admission, transportation and in some cases, even the meals. Nice!). But it is even more exciting since she already has a group of new friends (at least online, so far) to make plans with.

I love seeing her getting so excited about starting school next month. And I'm relieved that she will be going into it already knowing a group of kids from her classes. She is an introvert so this is huge for her :)

Jetskigirl, that is so wonderful all those events planned with your daughter's college. I hope she has a lot of fun.
Nothing yet here about roommate selection.

I changed the title.

Looking at the date of the thread, I cannot believe this was started in 2012, the summer before our kids were about to start high school!! :faint:

Do you know what that means?

768fb0fa9ee83bb1144cadcdd13bf4cf.jpg

Roommate issues.
DD's in a room with girls who profess to be neat and organized (she's beyond messy), plan to be in bed by 10, and don't like music (DD is a musician). This is going to be an interesting year.

DD and I just got home from her orientation- she had a great time, met a lot of other really nice honors college kids, and got to meet 2 of her 3 suitemates in person. There were so many fun activities for the kids to do, and lots and lots of information for us parents!

We head back in 2 weeks to move her in for the school year. Where has the summer gone??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter