High School Reunions; do you attend?

Doubt I’d ever go to one. We had a huge class with just under a thousand graduates. Really I only knew and liked about 10% of them anyway. When our ten year came up my best friend begged me to go but i just couldn’t justify spending 85 dollars for me and another 80 for DH to have one drink and no dinner (seriously the price was ridiculous).

I saw some of the pics on FB didn’t recognize a single person without best friend telling me who was who.

My class started having a yearly birthday party the year we all turned 50. Our 35th reunion was last year and we have more people at the birthday parties than we did at the reunion. I didn't go to the reunions when I was younger, but now I really enjoy them. Only a couple of the guys bring their wives, the rest of us leave our spouses at home! Its a cheap, fun evening. Our class president holds it at his family farm and we have a pitch-in, a bonfire and a hayride. Nothing like a bunch of old people reliving their youth on the back of a hay wagon!

Went to my 10th and 20th. Skipped the 30th because the Class President decided to hold it Labor Day Weekend at a resort in another state. UGH. DH and I made a pact years ago to not expect each other to attend reunions. Too boring for the spouse as we are several years apart in age and went to different schools. Therefore, did not feel like spending several hundred dollars to small talk with people that I really didn't like back then anyway. Those that I did like, I still keep in touch with.

The kicker is the Class President has since made the declaration that she will no longer be planning these get togethers as there was such a small turnout. Hmm, wonder why?!

I've heard many people state that with social media these days, they no longer have the desire to go to reunions.

I used to go, but after the last one I'm done. The classmates that still live there had a locals only get together the night before the all class event, and then didn't show up the next night. What's the point?

my 30th is coming up this year and I haven't been to any of them. I haven't talked to any of the people I graduated with even though I live in the area. didn't like most of those people back then and probably still don't.;)

Nope not a one. My hs was very clique y and I didn't want to be part of that again. Maybe they've changed. I dunno.

Doubt I’d ever go to one. We had a huge class with just under a thousand graduates. Really I only knew and liked about 10% of them anyway. When our ten year came up my best friend begged me to go but i just couldn’t justify spending 85 dollars for me and another 80 for DH to have one drink and no dinner (seriously the price was ridiculous).

I saw some of the pics on FB didn’t recognize a single person without best friend telling me who was who.

Only a thousand? Mine was 1500 and a few . . . talk about over crowded! Not surprising that I went to my first reunion only. Those friends I still have from my high school years were not classmates and mostly from other schools.

Never went to any, never wanted to. I always figured, I didn't really like any of them when I knew them, so why would I want to go hang out with them now? Of course, there were over 1200 in my high school class, so actually I didn't really even know many of them. I heard the 5th reunion turned into a food fight. Gee, nice. I almost went to the 30th. They decided, enough with the big hoopla with caterers, bars, and bands, and instead held a pot luck at the K of C hall in town. I almost went... but it was Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, and we were here at home instead of there (250 miles away) for the holiday, and DD had a Nutcracker show on Sunday, so it would've been really complicated.

Don't know what the plans for the 40th will be, but it's next year, so I should hear something soon!

Never again.

I went to my 10th and then my 20th. The first one was okay, I didn't really recognize anyone and then I realized I just didn't care. :lmao:

My best friend MADE me go to our 20th (we were friends since K). She was really popular, I was just sarcastic. It was AWFUL. And I mean AWFUL. It was $100 a ticket and the music was loud, it was disorganized, people were dressed like a Quinceañera for the elderly, and then the food was stopped about half-way through because the organizer didn't pay for enough or order enough. It was $10 extra to have your picture taken and then more if you wanted the booklet of B&W photos mailed to you six weeks later.

The capper was when the Hotel manager showed up and told us all to be quiet as it was 10 pm and there were hotel rooms right under the ballroom.

I didn't go to my 10th or my 15th, which was only a few months ago. Only two pictures were posted of it on FB, so I'm assuming it didn't go very well.

mafibisha said:
My 30th :scared1: high school reunion is coming up this fall.

From what I've heard, most of the people going are people I *see* on Facebook. We've had no other interaction even though we live fairly close to many.

My husband went to another HS and only knows a few friends I've personally kept in touch with over the years. They aren't going to the reunion. We went to my 10th but missed the 20th. I didn't regret missing it then ....

Also, I might be more excited BUT it's the same weekend we can visit lifelong friends out of town. Due to schedules, there isn't another time we can see them until March. They mean ALOT more than anyone from my HS. Not that it wouldn't be nice to see HS peeps, but I doubt we'd hang out again until the next reunion.

So do you attend your reunions? Should I? :)

No way do I go.

People I still want to talk to I do, the others not so much.

I dont know why this is even an issue. Why spend an evening with people you really dont want to see vs lifelong friends?

Had our 35th last year. We have a reunion every 5 years. (SMALL, close class).
I have only missed one.
Our class was very close. Some that are close in proximity do not come, but we still have one every 5 years.

I did not attend my 10th. Of course, I was 1,000 miles away, but I really don't think I would have gone if I were 5 miles away. :lmao: I had a pretty good time in high school, but the moment I graduated I moved on.

my 10 year reunion was last year. i really wanted to go....until i realized that

A.) none of the friends i still speak to from high school were even going. who would i talk to? i mean yeah seeing old classmates would be nice...but what happens when the conversation goes south?

and

B.) there was a facebook page for my reunion and i came to realize...most of the snotty kids in high school...hadn't changed much. one guy mentioned that he might have to take the bus to get there since he's not able to drive a car because of his meds, but asked if anyone would be willing to maybe pick him up....and people were just awful to him. i decided i really wasn't going to miss anything being around people like that anymore. i was thankful they were gone from my life, don't need them back.

Mrs. Tex and I crashed the afternoon picnic of my 20th reunion because we weren't willing to pay a bunch of money for actual tickets to the whole weekend. I've looked at pictures of the event on a couple of websites, and noticed that nobody I knew was there. And at the picnic, my experience was that the people who had been (bleeps) back in high school, were just older (bleeps) now. Same cliques, same snobs... just like it was 1968 again. You couldn't pay me to attend anything billed as a class reunion at this point.

Mrs. Tex and I crashed the afternoon picnic of my 20th reunion because we weren't willing to pay a bunch of money for actual tickets to the whole weekend. I've looked at pictures of the event on a couple of websites, and noticed that nobody I knew was there. And at the picnic, my experience was that the people who had been (bleeps) back in high school, were just older (bleeps) now. Same cliques, same snobs... just like it was 1968 again. You couldn't pay me to attend anything billed as a class reunion at this point.

it's sad to think that some people never change or grow up after high school

I've never been to one. There were only had 28 people in my class, I only liked 2 of them, and I still see those 2 all the time. No desire to spend time with the rest.

I haven't been to any reunions and don't plan to attend any in the future. I had a very small class, and there was a group of very unpleasant girls (the so-called "cool girls") who made things very difficult for the rest of us. They were downright mean. I've run into a few of them over the years, and it would appear that all that social activity has led to their aging not so gracefully:rotfl:
I do get together with a group of friends from high school when they are in town.

I got a call from one of those other girls when she was planning our 10 year reunion, but I told her I couldn't attend because I was expecting my first child that week. (I was told it was a drunkfest.) For my 15 year, I told them I was tied up with a birthday party for my son that Saturday. He's now 28, so I can't use that excuse any more;) I just politely send my regrets.

I went to my 10 year a few weekends ago. I was dead set against going but a few friends convinced me. I am glad I did. I reconnected with a bunch of people and everyone was civil to each other. Plus it was only $15 for two drinks and food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter