Hippos and Tigers and Flowers, Oh My! - A Solo March '18 TR - COMPLETED 7/13 - Final Thoughts+New TR

I was hoping to try the Moara Coffee Cake, but it seems that was only on the menu for a couple weeks before they pulled it. :sad:

It's so frustrating to me that they put things on the menu and then take them off suddenly. I wish they said limited time. There were a few things in AK I was looking for that were nowhere to be found anymore.

I ended up getting the Night Blossum in a souvenir cup, to add to my collection. Which came with a glowing seed.

lBsFlCc.jpg

I like the cup!

I had bought a special case with a caribeaner for this particular reason, but forgot it back in the room; turns out they are usually able to work with your phones. If you don’t have a case at all though, you may have to leave it behind in the locker, because they won’t have a way to attach the caribbeaner clip

I bought a bunch of stuff to secure my phone and sunglasses too when we went :rotfl: and then when we got there I realized that I didn't need any of it.

I fell behind!!! Glad I found you report before you got to far along again! Welcome back again!

• Early morning Safari
  • Sunset safari
  • Ride Expedition Everest in dark
  • Ride Flight of Passage 2x (w/FPs)
  • See Augustus the baby hippo!
  • Visit Gorilla Falls Trail (didn't do this in September)
  • Visit Maharajah Jungle Trek and see baby tigers
  • Try a Night Blossum
  • Eat at Nomad Lounge, specifically to try the Poutine
  • Eat at Tiffins
  • Chocolate Waffle from Tamu Tamu
  • Wild Africa Trek
  • New Backstage Tales mini-tour
  • Fully explore Pandora at night
  • Fully explore Pandora at day
  • Tree of Life Awakenings
That is a BIG list of things you want to do! I am guessing Nomad Lounge didn't get to as I think you have it on your plans for you next trip.

I did love staying at AKL, because that meant we arrived at AK at around 7:10 as the sun was cresting the trees.

ymqnLyf.jpg
That is an early morning. But a great pic!

I did ask him what face he wanted to make on the photo, but I guess he didn’t know when the photo took, so I looked sort silly!
He probably didn't. I barely know where any of the spots are.

aa0MTp7.jpg

At the end the grandma looked at the kid and was like-I love you, but I am never doing that again! And I just cracked up laughing!

giphy.gif
Too funny.
We made need to do this next time. Get a ride or two in first thing and then get a night ride in.

Then to the female area, where Stella was racing around too! Probably annoying her mom! I wish the 3rd photo hadn’t been blurry because it looked like her mom was just shaking her head!
cyaqVNI.jpg
Too funny! Kids are always the most annoying first thing in the morning when the adults are still sleepy and tired.

Past the flamingos, where were definitely less gray than the last time I saw them in September when they were still pretty young!
I thought they weren't very pink in September.

Before we could get to the lions, we got a bit of a visitor, with an ostrich who decided to walk right next to us and give us a dirty look! The driver was pretty vigilant to warn us not to make sudden movements!
Hmm, are they super mean?

Man, baby tiger attitude is mean!

K9qQGul.jpg

SLUSHEE COUNT: 4

And I really liked it! It was definitely sweet, and I could imagine some people being able to cut the sweetness with the Rum Blossum, but I just wasn’t really feeling like a shot of rum at 9:30 in the morning!
Yum! 9:30 am is def too early for run but I do think it would taste less sweet.

I ended up being called up quickly (they funneled me into the center single rider line), and I think I was in the center bottom of the screen.
I always wondered what the middle row was for. they don't seem to have a lot of single riders.

Amazing photo!

The whole thing sounds amazing. I think my sisters boyfriend would love this. I just have to convince them to come down some time.

First, for anyone thinking about the tour, absolutely do it! I know @Raeven and @AMusicLifeForMe have done it and written about it in their trip reports (as well as others, but those guys especially standout), which helped make my decision to do it!

Sounds like a wonderful tour, makes me think we should do this one of our trips. My sister loves animals and she is coming with us in March 2019 so that would be a good time.

Thanks for all the details about the animals, very interesting
You should absolutely try it out! It's great to have such a one-on-one tour from some great guides who love their jobs.

Wow! Sounds like an amazing day at AK! Even before your tour started, you saw more animals than I ever do. I think sometimes I'm more focused on getting to the rides, shows, etc., that I kind of forget about the animals…like they are there as background. Aside from the safari, of course.

Maybe I'll look into your tour for our next trip. Mike (DH) would probably really like it.

Your photopass and tour photos are beautiful!
Thanks about the photos! Absolutely consider the tour-it is really wonderful!

I really fell in love with AK immediately. I think it helped that I never visited pre-Pandora, so for me there was always plenty to do and see! And learning about all the animals gave me even more appreciation about it and the CMs who work there.

OMG I just realized what your shirt says and it's SOOOO CUTE!
Haha, thanks! I have fun with etsy shirts!

Wow I didn't realize they did that! That's cool. I have to tell my sister, she's on a mission to get all the special photopass pics.
It was actually a frame that you'd hold up (like the photo frames). I cropped the photos so you can't tell it's a prop!

I never realized this before! I think we're usually in C.
If you get in A or B, just look up at the walls after going down the stairs. They are a bit higher than average (like if you were standing and put your hands up high). I remembered people posting about it when Pandora first opened, so I was happy to see it!

Ah I didn't know they did this!
Will have to look into it!
I think the mini tour was just going on for a couple months and isn't anymore. But maybe they'll have more 30-minute tours coming up!

This picture is everything!! It's so perfect!
Thanks! It did turn out well!

Thanks for the tour info! It's definitely something I want to do!! It sounds awesome!
Yes, definitely! It's pricey, but the have a DVC/AP discount. They also have a sunset option but that doesn't include the hippo part with the bridges, just the savannah and outlook. In December I was also considering an option they have at Kidani which is a nighttime tour with night-vision binoculars on the resort savannahs.

The Wild Africa Trek sounds amazing! You got so much information and a lot of time to stop and observe the animals. It's a shame the hippos were hanging out in the deep end that day, but at least you got to see the males munch on some food.
Love the giraffe carving in the overlook and the story behind it. You did an awesome job recording everything you learned; so many interesting tidbits in this update!
You convinced me to do the HEA fireworks dessert party, now you're making me figure out way to work this tour into my next trip! :rotfl2: (Fortunately there's plenty of family who'll take my kiddos off my hands so I can do the tour.)
I really am a bad influence for people looking to save money! It was very cool seeing the hippos so close. You can also see the safari vehicles pass by and it's like you're part of the attraction! I took a bunch of notes right after the tour so I'd remember the various stories I learned!

I think if you can work it into the schedule, absolutely do it! It really is something unique you don't get a chance to do many places!

You 100% made me want to take that tour. Yours is probably the most in-depth review I have read. Thanks!
Do it! I think because I loved it so much I remembered so many of the little details.

It's so frustrating to me that they put things on the menu and then take them off suddenly. I wish they said limited time. There were a few things in AK I was looking for that were nowhere to be found anymore.
I know! So many times I read about something and then discover it's missing!

I bought a bunch of stuff to secure my phone and sunglasses too when we went :rotfl: and then when we got there I realized that I didn't need any of it.
Haha! I think they know people have so much "essential" things they would throw a fit if they couldn't bring it. On the bridges I remember they make you take your name badge off so it doesn't accidentally fall off into the pools and you are supposed to put it in your vest pocket. But they then also don't want you to have your phone/camera in and out of that pocket cause it could still fall out. So one of the guides actually took my badge because I didn't have anyone else to keep mine while I was taking photos!

That is an early morning. But a great pic!
The early morning really helped eliminate crowds. I wish I could do more early mornings, but usually at the beginning of the trip I'm still dealing with jetlag and time changes, then at the end of the trip I've gotten so tired that I don't like getting up that early!

Hmm, are they super mean?
They seem like they would be! I looked it up and I guess if provoked they can be very mean , but usually don't really care about humans. But I'd imagine trucks passing them all the time could be annoying. And I think I only really saw them stick to the actual roads, so they probably have to deal with that all the time!

I always wondered what the middle row was for. they don't seem to have a lot of single riders.
I think it was definitely set up for SRs by the imagineers, but once operations got a hold they realized how much of a disaster that could be (people trying to skip the long queue with the SR option but then still waiting just as long)! Eventually they've gotten around that by just splitting the SRs into a separate aisle; like how they have people in scooters/wheelchairs use the farthest right queue.

Amazing photo!

The whole thing sounds amazing. I think my sisters boyfriend would love this. I just have to convince them to come down some time.
It really is great! The age limit is 8 yrs and 48", so Morgan could do it already, but Gwen has to wait a bit (she could do Caring for Giants though). I know the young boys on my tour seemed to have a lot of fun and the guides liked being able to teach them more about animals!

Wow! The tour sounds really cool.

We also made the observation that the flamingos are actually not confined to their pool.

Our local zoo had two flamingos fly the coop, I think 18 years ago. One of the flamingos was recently found in Texas. I live in Kansas. I thought that was pretty crazy!

It really is great! The age limit is 8 yrs and 48", so Morgan could do it already, but Gwen has to wait a bit (she could do Caring for Giants though). I know the young boys on my tour seemed to have a lot of fun and the guides liked being able to teach them more about animals!
48" tall!!! Oh Man! It will be awhile for Gwen! That is ok, I probably need a couple years to work on my sister. They are world travelers and like to go abroad on there vacations.

Thanks for the awesome review of the tour. So glad you got some up close hippo time, even if it was only the boys.

I did the WAT back in 2012 and now that I read your adventure I want to do it again! I'm glad you wrote such a detailed account because I learned a lot I didn't know about the animals there.

Wow! The tour sounds really cool.

Our local zoo had two flamingos fly the coop, I think 18 years ago. One of the flamingos was recently found in Texas. I live in Kansas. I thought that was pretty crazy!
That is hilarious about the flamingo! I can't believe they got that far without being spotted earlier!

48" tall!!! Oh Man! It will be awhile for Gwen! That is ok, I probably need a couple years to work on my sister. They are world travelers and like to go abroad on there vacations.
Some people don't give Disney the priority it deserves :P

Thanks for the awesome review of the tour. So glad you got some up close hippo time, even if it was only the boys.
You're welcome! The boys were pretty cool to see.

I did the WAT back in 2012 and now that I read your adventure I want to do it again! I'm glad you wrote such a detailed account because I learned a lot I didn't know about the animals there.
I had a lot of fun and it was definitely a highlight of my trip!

Day 3, Part 3: Another informative tour!
So, first lets get an update on that to-do list:
  • Early morning Safari
  • Sunset safari
  • Ride Flight of Passage 2x (w/FPs) - half finished!
  • Visit Gorilla Falls Trail
  • Try a Night Blossum
  • Eat at Nomad Lounge, specifically to try the Poutine
  • Eat at Tiffins
  • Chocolate Waffle from Tamu Tamu - ate at Wild Africa Trek so skipped this; since then the chocolate waffles are gone from the menu!
  • Wild Africa Trek

Now that my first tour was done, I had a bit of time to decide what to do. I originally hoped to get some poutine from Nomad Lounge, but was worried about the train situation to RPW and didn’t want to miss my other tour, so I decided to hold off. I stopped in the gift shop in Harambe, but then heard clapping and saw a bunch of guys in costumes walking by holding huge rolls of plastic mats. So I figured, it was time for a show! I took a shortcut through the gift shop and got to the area in front of the Harambe stage to check it out. It was a very cool acrobatics show and those guys were so talented!

eMlRD3b.jpg
ETZmVCP.jpg

I didn’t stick around for the whole thing though because it was hot in the sun! And the park as a whole was getting pretty crowded, so I was tired of dodging people, strollers, and scooters and instead meandered my way up to the train.

qMge1Xt.jpg

If you’ve never done the train, it’s pretty cool to be able to see some backstage areas, including animal barns. If they had a tour that went through that area (I don’t know if the original Backstage Tales did that) I would probably sign up for that too!

The hoofed stock barn

VwCZDNX.jpg

White rhino area, where I think we actually saw a Rhino walking around.

smEWxgX.jpg

Tembo house (elephant area)

0JsuukV.jpg
589rxlv.jpg

I also really like this mosaic at the Conservation Station (I wish I didn’t get my shadow, but I needed to take quick before everyone else from the train caught up to me)

gvXArhd.jpg

I made my way inside to check in for the tour, and the guide turned out to be a girl from a town near mine in LA! The guide was Katie from Pasadena, CA, and if you ever get a chance to take a tour with her, DO IT! I don’t think I’ve ever met an individual, anywhere, let alone Disney, who is more enthusiastic about her job! Like, she was just giddy and infectious which made the tour just so cool!

Anyways, before the tour started, I checked which places we were going to go (I was hoping vet hospital and nutrition center), but instead we got invertebrates building and vet hospital. She made sure I was ok with bugs, which I don’t exactly like, but I knew they’d be in secure cages, so I’d deal! Because I checked in early we were able to talk more and she gave me lots of info about the nutrition center. She also explained that they couldn’t do nutrition center in afternoon because they already finished and sterilized everything, including the floor. Ok, makes sense!

Got my VIP badge, and I decided to rest my sore feet and sit down for a bit!

NCmD0RQ.jpg

And that’s the last photo I have… Sorry, it’s all backstage, so no photos! Katie explain this was a trial program to see if people liked doing the shorter 30 minute tours rather than the longer 3 hr backstage tours. We had a full group, with a wide variety of ages, including some younger kids (who I think had done an earlier tour so this way they were able to see all 4 locations on the tours), and an older man in an electric scooter (who had no problem getting around because Katie would just walk us all up and down the ramps, rather than go up/down the stairs).

But the tour itself was pretty cool. As Katie said, it started in invertebrate building, which really is just a small structure on the edge of the backstage vet area. They used to just have a mobile trailer, which limited the temperature and humidity control and the types of bugs they could keep, but now they have a wider variety. And that room was definitely warm and humid! When we left, we all breathed a sigh of relief for cooler air, and Katie laughed because in the summer it feels cooler inside the building!

We had an invertebrate expert telling us about the various programs they had. They do a lot with breeding endangered bug species. That is also the building where the wilderness explorers pick up the locked boxes with various spiders and such.

giphy.gif

On our way to the vet hospital, we passed by an outdoor area with some pieces of buildings sets. Katie explained how the imagineers are located really close by, so when they have to test if the paint and textures would hold up in Florida weather, they bring them over to the field outside the vet area. They got to see a lot of the Pandora mountains over the years and kept wondering what everything would be. She originally said the ones that we saw were pieces of Everest, but now I’m thinking it was probably part of Star Wars Land!

We got to the vet hospital, which was pretty cool to see all the equipment. We also got to be in the fishbowl, where everyone else can peer through the huge windows! I asked if they had a limit as to what types of procedures they would do in the front surgery room vs the back room, and she said nope, just whatever is most convenient. She’s seen full C-sections happen in the front room! Their basic rule of thumb is, if it can fit thru the doors, they bring it to the hospital, otherwise, they go to the animal.

One of the vets also interrupted our tour to let us know a bird (I think some sort of hawk) was bring brought in to be examined due to a possibly injured beak. We weren’t being kicked out too, he just wanted us to know what was going on! So on our way out, we were able to peak over the vets shoulders and see the bird up close as they were examining it.

giphy.gif

The tour ended up being closer to 50 minutes rather than 30, but I think that was because Katie was so excited! It was definitely informative, and makes me want to take a full Backstage tour, but probably only if it was a longer one that went to the animal areas more.

Once the tour finished, I headed back to the train, where I just missed one leaving. But I was able to find a bench to sit on, and wait for the next. It was already getting into my Flight of passage FP time.

We arrived in Africa and I successfully dodged around people and strollers and scooters to make it down the back path and headed back to Pandora. I definitely like this route, especially because a lot of people don’t know about it!

QHVQptn.jpg

I nonchalantly made my way to the queue, taking plenty of foliage photos

Q1SRVJ3.jpg
0nCYtAx.jpg
R7hkP5d.jpg
JXPvrNz.jpg
MC3hQ1c.jpg

I ended up entering the queue at 5:00, got to my seat at 5:17, and was back out by 5:25, so another 25 minute experience time, nice! This time I asked for one of the top rows, and ended up in the center row, I think far to the right side. Again, it feels like a totally new experience each time, and I decided to pay more attention to further off details, so like snowy mountain ranges and other plants.

ESLKDte.jpg
P1OPRQS.jpg

When I got out the sun was still at a good level, so I took some more photos, including some photopass.

b1Td3pg.jpg
tt5y0fy.jpg
WMZbsQ7.jpg
NUkz1y5.jpg
WqFO6sr.jpg

f80ArPz.jpg
3BRavZc.jpg

On my way out of Pandora I stopped by Tiffins to see if I could order one of the Nomad Lounge small plates as an appetizer when I had dinner there later. The hostess said, no, I couldn’t order it from my Tiffins table. What I could do, is go to Nomad Lounge, order, get my dish, cash out, then bring it to my table at Tiffins. A pain, but possible. So, I said, ok, I’m just really wanting to try that poutine. Then she gets a strange look on her face. At first I was worried-oh, is it not that good? She responds: “No..its just…uh, that was taken off the menu…as of today…” WHAT!?! So bummed out! I definitely wanted to try it! I’ll just cross my fingers they have it back by December, and I told her, at least that makes my Tiffins meal easier to coordinate!

Then, it was BACK to Africa, for a sunset Safari, again using a fastpass! I was pretty happy for those, as the line was close to 2 hours! I ended up timing it pretty well too, with it being close to dusk, but not too dark to take photos.

hhumWi6.jpg
Fw5FoYx.jpg

I first requested a row to myself, but the CM couldn’t do that, so instead I asked to be on the left side (Lion side) of the vehicle. She totally understood, so had me stand to the side, and I ended up in the front row. (Also, when I said Lion side, I also meant hippo side, but I didn’t want to confuse her since technically hippos end up on both sides.) She also originally had a family of 4 adults get into the row with me, but them switched it so they had a row to themselves and I just got 2 other ladies, which worked out nicely (I think we would have been pretty squished with 5 adults on one row).

So, my last safari of the day, would I get to see Augustus?

We went through the jungle, no animals (I don’t think we even saw rhinos)…

Rounded the corner… and…

GUS-GUS! He was right there chilling with the other hippos! So adorable! Excuse the bad zoom and not awesome quality. The driver didn’t stop the vehicle completely-rude! Though I basically had my camera hanging out of the car, just snapping away…. Yeah I’m a rebel who doesn’t listen to rules!

U3S5Js3.jpg

(you can see him behind that hippo with his little back hanging out of the water)

nVSeCcc.jpg
SfW1azB.jpg
et9gCtH.jpg
TVJgCAp.jpg
U0KrXw9.jpg
LrWjehd.jpg
LPiUsuG.jpg

And my face afterwards…

NYnqjvT.jpg

Ok, I’m good, don’t need the rest of the safari!

But, while we’re out there, might as well take some photos!

I finally got to see the hyenas, though they were sleeping (they switch with the wild dogs around 4-4:30 and all my previous safaris have been before then).

IdKAuRC.jpg

Got caught up in some wildebeest crossing the road

OVXVlry.jpg
mLj6MRK.jpg

Had a close encounter with a white rhino!

l0btHb4.jpg
VFEEzO2.jpg

And got to see the cheetahs pacing around. I think the zebra was teasing them!

ERi8WHx.jpg
Wcd5ywx.jpg

The male lion was still sleeping, but one of the lionesses was sitting proud and the other was annoyed cars were driving by (her side-eye was on point)!

xwbjHkC.jpg

And that’s it for animals this trip! I definitely think I got a good amount in!
So, to-do list update:
  • Early morning Safari
  • Sunset safari
  • Ride Flight of Passage 2x (w/FPs)
  • Visit Gorilla Falls Trail
  • Try a Night Blossum
  • Eat at Nomad Lounge, specifically to try the Poutine - Foiled by menu changes!
  • Eat at Tiffins
  • Chocolate Waffle from Tamu Tamu - chose to skip
  • Wild Africa Trek

Coming up - nighttime in AK!

I took a shortcut through the gift shop and got to the area in front of the Harambe stage to check it out.

I really need to take the time to slow down and watch some of these shows! As many times as I've gone I'm always too busy with other stuff.

I made my way inside to check in for the tour

I am so bummed that they discontinued this tour. :sad2:

Awesome! I haven't had the luck to spot him yet.

I finally got to see the hyenas, though they were sleeping (they switch with the wild dogs around 4-4:30 and all my previous safaris have been before then).

Oh, how did I not know there were hyenas? Maybe because I always tend to do early safaris. But in August I have a 5:15 - 6:15 pm FP booked so I will get to see them then.

And got to see the cheetahs pacing around. I think the zebra was teasing them!

Either that or they were hungry and waiting to go in for dinner. :rotfl2:

Glad you got to see Augustus! So cute!
I know! I wish I could have seen him out of the water! But he was so teeny (but still big)!

I don't understand this... Why wouldn't they stop for even a short second! You know everyone wants to see baby animals!
I know! And then we got stuck in a traffic jam but were already too far away from hippos to see!

The Wild Africa Trek sounds amazing!! So many awesome photos!

Glad you got to see Augustus on your safari!
It was pretty great and lots of fun animal sightings all day!

I really need to take the time to slow down and watch some of these shows! As many times as I've gone I'm always too busy with other stuff.

I am so bummed that they discontinued this tour. :sad2:

Awesome! I haven't had the luck to spot him yet.

Oh, how did I not know there were hyenas? Maybe because I always tend to do early safaris. But in August I have a 5:15 - 6:15 pm FP booked so I will get to see them then.

Either that or they were hungry and waiting to go in for dinner. :rotfl2:
I really liked seeing the acrobatics show - it was very impressive!

Maybe they will bring back a version of the tour? I think 30 minutes is good for families with kids or just people that have limited time at the parks!

Fingers crossed for the Hyenas! They were all sleeping when we drove by.

I still like to think the zebras were teasing them!

It was actually a frame that you'd hold up (like the photo frames). I cropped the photos so you can't tell it's a prop!

Oh ok! That's pretty neat!

I think the mini tour was just going on for a couple months and isn't anymore. But maybe they'll have more 30-minute tours coming up!

I see will have to check it out! Thanks!

Yes, definitely! It's pricey, but the have a DVC/AP discount. They also have a sunset option but that doesn't include the hippo part with the bridges, just the savannah and outlook. In December I was also considering an option they have at Kidani which is a nighttime tour with night-vision binoculars on the resort savannahs.

Cool. I was looking at that night vision tour too, but Steve and Su-Queen did that one year when we stayed at AKL - not the tour but just the night vision viewing. They just provide you with the goggles as you look at the savannah.

Anyways, before the tour started, I checked which places we were going to go (I was hoping vet hospital and nutrition center), but instead we got invertebrates building and vet hospital. She made sure I was ok with bugs, which I don’t exactly like, but I knew they’d be in secure cages, so I’d deal! Because I checked in early we were able to talk more and she gave me lots of info about the nutrition center. She also explained that they couldn’t do nutrition center in afternoon because they already finished and sterilized everything, including the floor. Ok, makes sense!

I'm so not a bug person! I would have liked nutrition more. So I guess an early tour is better!

The tour ended up being closer to 50 minutes rather than 30, but I think that was because Katie was so excited! It was definitely informative, and makes me want to take a full Backstage tour, but probably only if it was a longer one that went to the animal areas more.

Thanks for the info!

On my way out of Pandora I stopped by Tiffins to see if I could order one of the Nomad Lounge small plates as an appetizer when I had dinner there later. The hostess said, no, I couldn’t order it from my Tiffins table. What I could do, is go to Nomad Lounge, order, get my dish, cash out, then bring it to my table at Tiffins. A pain, but possible. So, I said, ok, I’m just really wanting to try that poutine. Then she gets a strange look on her face. At first I was worried-oh, is it not that good? She responds: “No..its just…uh, that was taken off the menu…as of today…” WHAT!?! So bummed out! I definitely wanted to try it! I’ll just cross my fingers they have it back by December, and I told her, at least that makes my Tiffins meal easier to coordinate!

Noooooooo!!!! Oh well. I tried to order form Tiffins in Nomad Lounge but they said the kitchen was too busy. On a light day they said they would be able to accommodate me.

SOOO CUTE! Hi Gus Gus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter