Hollywood Brown Derby

My wife and I ALWAYS schedule a meal at Brown Derby and it ALWAYS includes the Cobb Salad and the grapefruit cake. The entrees are delicious but those starters and finishes are worth the trip by themselves.

I can’t believe I snagged an early dinner reservation for HBD for our upcoming trip in two weeks! I was on the app several times a day and couldn’t believe my luck. But it does seem as if more shows up the closer to your travel date. This thread has made my mouth water!

I can’t believe I snagged an early dinner reservation for HBD for our upcoming trip in two weeks! I was on the app several times a day and couldn’t believe my luck. But it does seem as if more shows up the closer to your travel date. This thread has made my mouth water!

You're in for a real treat! Enjoy!

Anybody who's reading this and wondering what is so special about the Cobb salad: it isn't torn or cut like a conventional salad but, instead, follows the prep method that was served at the original Brown Derbys in Hollywood. Chefs would call this "riced." It means that all the ingredients: lettuce, bacon, and so forth, have been chopped almost to the size of rice. That sounds like mush but it is not. Instead it's a heavenly blend of flavors and crunch that brings my wife and me back to HBD every time we visit WDW. I don't know of any other restaurant, anywhere, that prepares Cobb salad the original way (or what I would call "the right way"). Once you've tasted it at the Brown Derby, you'll wish for it sadly whenever you see Cobb salad on the menu anywhere else.

Anybody who's reading this and wondering what is so special about the Cobb salad: it isn't torn or cut like a conventional salad but, instead, follows the prep method that was served at the original Brown Derbys in Hollywood. Chefs would call this "riced." It means that all the ingredients: lettuce, bacon, and so forth, have been chopped almost to the size of rice. That sounds like mush but it is not. Instead it's a heavenly blend of flavors and crunch that brings my wife and me back to HBD every time we visit WDW. I don't know of any other restaurant, anywhere, that prepares Cobb salad the original way (or what I would call "the right way"). Once you've tasted it at the Brown Derby, you'll wish for it sadly whenever you see Cobb salad on the menu anywhere else.

It is the best!
We were in New York City last week and went to Tavern on the Green for lunch because they had a Cobb Salad on the menu.
It was very good, the dressing is the closest to HBD I have had, but it just wasn't cut correctly.
They charge $29 for it too, a close 2nd but can't wait to go back to the best of the best.

My wife and I visit WDW every couple of years, and Brown Derby is ALWAYS our date night. The Cobb Salad, of course, is worth flying to Florida for, and there's always one entree or another that appeals to each of us on the menu. We happen to be fans of classic movies, so it's fun trying to guess the names of the celebrities caricatured on the walls. (I wish they were labeled!) BTW I've tried describing the "riced" Cobb Salad to chefs at other restaurants. Sometimes they don't believe me. Sometimes they do and pretend they don't because making the REAL Cobb salad is just too difficult and expensive for their kitchen. Not to gush or anything, but it's one of the Wonders of the World. (Well, WDW anyway.)

So excited to read this! It's going to be our first time trying it for lunch on our upcoming trip!

I'm not sure if they are serving food yet.
Maybe someone who has been there lately can tell you.

Last edited:
We dined here on 12/15/21, and all tables were open, inside and outside. Menus pulled up using the QR code displayed on you table. Great dining experience for the entire family: cobb salad, Walts Filet, Wagyu Burger and Salamon dish. Appears the QR code allows them to be more fluid in the menu option too. We did observe difference in what was on the Disney Experience site and using the restaurants QR code menu, but I do not recall if BD was one of them. Overall, fine place to dine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter