Hollywood studio, how to tackle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckelly14

DIS Veteran
Heading to Disney In April 2020 and Hollywood Studios is the bane of my existence. How the heck am I supposed to come with a touring plan? With 5 tier 1 rides, MMRR and Star Wars stuff, it’s a nightmare.

Anyone want to take a crack at a touring strategy? SWGE is main goal, but like to ride SDD, ToT and RRRC as well.

ETA: I plan to go on Thursday April 16, which according to TP is a 4/10 day...

I am headed there in June, I am almost considering this as a great use of my park hopper. Since it appears I need to arrive early for to get a boarding group, I will ride what I can that morning. Then, I will just park hop back to HS later in the day/evening on other days, if I can gab fast passes. It used to feel like a half day park to me, then I loved the addition of SDD, but now it feels like a mess. I am hoping some changes are made to the Tiers soon.

I’m feeling the same way about our March trip. Today was our FP day and we couldn’t get Slinky. We got an early TSMM and then Star Tours. We’ll get there an hour before opening to get BG for RotR and then rope drop Slinky or MMRR. One we use our FP for TSMM, I think we can pick up another TIER 1 although I’m not 100% sure about that. I am least worried about TOT and RRRC because it seems those are now some of the least popular ride and getting same day FP is possible.

Arrive at least an hour earlier than opening to be among the first into the park for a boarding pass to RotR. Get your FP as early as possible for SDD, try for three FP's as close to 9,10,11 as possible-could be Tier 2 throwaways unless you want to use Star Tours. Most people try for Star Tours and a Throwaway Show. You could rope drop ToT or RNRC depending on which has shortest waits, then add the other as a 4th FP. Wait until 4-6 to ride Smuggler's Run. Work in seeing Galaxy's Edge shops and Oga's reservation. Docking Bay 7 and Ronto Roasters are decent quick service spots. Park hop to Epcot Flower and Garden festival via Skyliner if you have extra time.

I’m feeling the same way about our March trip. Today was our FP day and we couldn’t get Slinky. We got an early TSMM and then Star Tours. We’ll get there an hour before opening to get BG for RotR and then rope drop Slinky or MMRR. One we use our FP for TSMM, I think we can pick up another TIER 1 although I’m not 100% sure about that. I am least worried about TOT and RRRC because it seems those are now some of the least popular ride and getting same day FP is possible.
We are also going in March. Monday is my FP booking day. Are you saying that MMRR is now available on FP?

Arrive at least an hour earlier than opening to be among the first into the park for a boarding pass to RotR. Get your FP as early as possible for SDD, try for three FP's as close to 9,10,11 as possible-could be Tier 2 throwaways unless you want to use Star Tours. Most people try for Star Tours and a Throwaway Show. You could rope drop ToT or RNRC depending on which has shortest waits, then add the other as a 4th FP. Wait until 4-6 to ride Smuggler's Run. Work in seeing Galaxy's Edge shops and Oga's reservation. Docking Bay 7 and Ronto Roasters are decent quick service spots. Park hop to Epcot Flower and Garden festival via Skyliner if you have extra time.
I read on another thread that people were using rope drop, their tier 1 fast pass, tier 2 fast pass ride, and had almost a full hour before the 10:00 shows to "throw away" their third fast pass (thus allowing another tier 1). Any ideas on how to spend the hour ;)

Great advice all.

I am hearing that Rope Drop is an utter mess as there are tons of people in the park waiting for their ROTR BG to open up. However, you need to do something if you are there..

Planning:
1. Arrive at 1 hour prior to park opening
2. Grab ROTR BG at opening
3. Opening hour Star Tour
4. FP SDD at 9AM
5. Tap at some stupid show at 10AM
6. Try to grab another FP for RNR coaster or ToT as a 4th and 5th FP if possible.

That's because it is a mess. ha ha. I decided it was easiest to plan our day with the earliest FPs we can and keep morning expectations low until we can grab a 4th FP. I'm not even going to attempt to rope drop a popular ride since there's no way my family can arrive early enough to be at the front of the mass for a true rope drop experience. I'm just going for being in the park before opening. I left GE off my plans knowing that when our boarding group is called, we'll pause, enjoy GE, and reevaluate the rest of the day. I'm told evenings are a lot better and plan to be in park all evening. We did plan a 2nd DHS day just in case we need it. We'll see what happens. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I am considering the dessert party. May leave in the afternoon and come back in the evening although that's not how we usually tour...

Depending on the type (ages and abilities) of your party I would just focus on Toy Story land and get the Slinky Dog Fast Pass. The lines at Midway Mania are pretty manageable. The line at Tower of terror and RNR can gget inflated quick. Star wars Land is a Black hole though. Attempting that side of the park can really eat a lot of your day.

Great advice all.

I am hearing that Rope Drop is an utter mess as there are tons of people in the park waiting for their ROTR BG to open up. However, you need to do something if you are there..

Planning:
1. Arrive at 1 hour prior to park opening
2. Grab ROTR BG at opening
3. Opening hour Star Tour
4. FP SDD at 9AM
5. Tap at some stupid show at 10AM
6. Try to grab another FP for RNR coaster or ToT as a 4th and 5th FP if possible.

What day of your trip is your HS day? I am assuming you're staying onsite so 60 day fast pass. If your HS day is earlier than say 60+5, I doubt you can get a 9AM SDD. Otherwise looks like a good plan. I have an AP and have been looking at same day availability of FP here and there as we go in 2 weeks. ToT is easy. RnRC is more difficult, but still pretty easy, so I think you'll do fine getting those. Unless you have a group of 27 or something. You don't, do you?

As others have said, make your three FP selections early and then refresh. On the first day of our last trip over Christmas break we got to the park at 3:30 used our prescheduled FP for ST and SDD by 4:30, burned a 3rd one at LM and were able to ride TSM, RNR, TOT and SDD again by FP.
Best bet for MFSR is to either get to the park well before open to be at the front of the pack or ride right before close.

I think we will be in the same position for our Mid May trip and will be doing the same things you described. I wish people on this thread would stop saying stuff similar to, "use your 9am SDD FP." You currently need 60+4 for SDD. If you could easily get a 9am SDD FP, that clarifies your RD strategy.

We are doing a MK and AK DAH night and EP is pretty straightforward. I am pulling my hair out on what to do with HS!

Thanks for all the info.

No, I don't have a group of 27! :yay:

If I were to get Club level FP for this park (debating it right now), any suggestions on how to configure CL vs regular fast passes for this day?

Up to 4 Tier one rides based on 3 CL and 1 regular fast pass (CL don’t have tiers).

I could start making CL FPs next week.

The biggest problem I can see is MMRR coming online in March, perhaps as another BG ride. Maybe they will switch MFSR to FP+ by then? Maybe move ToT back to tier 2

I hope they get something’s sorted out by my trip. 5 tier 1 rides, potentially 2 BG rides and one ride standby only is rediculous

In the past, I have always been able to pick up the FPs that I wanted throughout the day and did not consider the CL fast passes necessary. However, HS seems to be creating a whole new experience. I guess I would ask how important are the HS rides to your family? We love SDD, ToT, but could live without TSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter