Home from WBPC (with 4 year old) today...

MunFam

DIS Veteran
anyone have any questions? Here is a short trip report:

The broadway shows and the characters were AMAZING and the low number of children on board made the experience super personable for our 4 year old. The characters all knew that our DD liked to give them a kiss each time they met and she also loved to tell them secrets. They always greeted her by name. It made for some very magical memories.

The kids club staff was also phenomenal. They had so many exceptional programs, crafts and activities going all the time. One note for future cruisers: The clubs were closed part of the canal day and then went to "open house" mode the other part of the day, so our 4 year old was stuck with us on deck the entire day. Thank god for her iPad!

Unfortunately, even with such low numbers there were still families that spent the entire time cutting in character lines and one dad even got in to a fight with an older woman at the Frozen deck show over being in the front row with his daughter up on his shoulders. Disney seemed to turn their backs to this sort of behavior and pretend like it did not exist.

We had a port side, midship (2000's not 2500's) ocean view SR and loved the location. The room was fresh and clean, the beds were comfortable and the split bathroom was nice, but small. There were plenty of outlets in the new rooms. (They added outlets at the bed on both sides!!!) I was worried about this before we left but never had an issue getting anything charged when it needed to be charged.

The new app was a LIFESAVER!!! Definitely load it on your smart phone before you go. It was so handy to have the menus and hour by hour breakdown plus weather reports and messaging all right at your fingertips.

We loved Cartagena so much. Our tour with Dora was excellent. It was hot...very hot. We packed lots of water and little hand held, battery operated fans that came in super handy. We bought art, coffee and fedoras. I want to go back to Columbia.

Cozumel was beautiful. We just got off and walked around the town. We had lunch at Poncho's Backyard, and while it was good, I think we prefer the Mexican Food in San Diego better. :) Los Cinco Soles had some great shopping. We always felt safe, but definitely watched our backs, so to speak, because you can never be too safe. :)

Cabo was pretty. We took a private water taxi to lands end. The seas were extremely rough, but it was a nice view. The guide gave us tips on how to get to a secret local's beach and also a great little dirt parking lot filled with food trucks (Spanish-speaking only, so make sure you know your Spanish and have pesos)! So yummy!

Even with all the highs, I can honestly say that I think that sailing with Disney may be a one time thing for us. There was a MAJOR cast turn over in San Diego and you could tell that a lot of the cast members had short-timer syndrome. They just were not in to it and we struggled to find "the Disney difference" as we cruised along. We would often have to call for towels for our stateroom. 3 people, 1 towel after turn down is not okay multiple days in a row, being told to call room service if we wanted ice, finding out that other kids had fun kid sheets on their beds when our DD had plain white ones; petty things that added up to be quite annoying over time. We also struggled a bit with our dining team (all 3 were getting off the ship in San Diego). DD has food allergies and multiple times, meals were delivered to her with allergens that could kill her on her plate...even after the allergy ticket was sent to the kitchen on a pre-ordered meal the day before and confirmed the say of. I noticed that breakfast service was incredibly slow...sometimes taking 2 hours from start to finish. One day I waited 50 minutes for an omelet "your order will be here soon" was said multiple times...and then Triton's closed at 10am and everyone got up and left...and I had no breakfast still, so I left as well. I was also under the impression that the chefs would be somewhat creative in working with people with food allergies. 90% of what DD ate was pre-packaged and frozen because they would bring me the packages to read. She is allergic to eggs, peanuts and treenuts. She pretty much ate bacon, fruit, hot dogs and steak (and Mickey Bars!) for 15 days. Perhaps, my expectations were just set too high?

There were others that shared similar expereinces with us. Once couple had been on 19+ DCL cruise including the 2014 EBPC and said this was the worst one so far for them and encouraged us to give it another try. They felt that Clayton, the Cruise Director plus the huge crew turnover had a lot to do with it. Others said that it was the best cruise ever, so maybe its just the luck of the draw...

If anyone has any specific questions, I would be happy to answer :)

So sorry it wasn't magical for you. I'm surprised about how they didn't handle your DD's allergies well. All I've ever heard is that they are excellent and very careful about allergies. I've even heard tales that they wouldn't bring a dish with the offending ingredient when the person was insisting they could have it. I'm so glad you're careful, knowledgeable and were able to catch the mistakes.
Maybe you should address the situation to DCL. They need to know people were falling down on the job.
I would suggest giving them another try. We love DCL, but it's not the same for everyone.

I agree with the serving team, we ended changing day 3 because our server forgot to order our daughters meal more then once and 2 nights she didn't get any dinner at all, we had to take her to deck 9 for food. Once we changed it was better, our room host was amazing, she told us we were picked as a magical family and we got things like the princess sheets arcade cards stuffed animals and wine ( for us) along with other treats through out the trip.

So sorry it wasn't magical for you. I'm surprised about how they didn't handle your DD's allergies well. All I've ever heard is that they are excellent and very careful about allergies. I've even heard tales that they wouldn't bring a dish with the offending ingredient when the person was insisting they could have it. I'm so glad you're careful, knowledgeable and were able to catch the mistakes.
Maybe you should address the situation to DCL. They need to know people were falling down on the job.
I would suggest giving them another try. We love DCL, but it's not the same for everyone.

I did fill out my comment card and also addressed the issues at the guest services desk. The galley team sent us a note "compliments of the galley team" and a cheese plate COVERED in nuts, and both DD and I have treenut allergies so it was another huge oversight on their part. I know they were trying...but eek.

I'm assuming (uh-oh, that word) that you listed your allergies on the right forms when you checked-in on-line. I can't believe they messed up so badly.

I'm assuming (uh-oh, that word) that you listed your allergies on the right forms when you checked-in on-line. I can't believe they messed up so badly.

Oh yes...noted at the time of the reservation, filled out the medical forms and emailed them in, the team called us a month out to discuss the allergies in detail over the phone and then I met with the dining team on embarkation day in Tritons to confirm everything again.

I took the WBPC cruise a couple of years ago and I as well noticed the "short-timer" issue. It was actually the main stage performers who were worst. Towards the end of the cruise they could be found mostly drunk in the adult areas. The performer who played Tarzan actually mooned the entire adult pool from Deck 10 then ran down the stairs to cannonball into the pool and soak everyone. They also misbehaved on Castaway. I was shocked, really.

It was the worst I'd ever seen crew behave, and my views were echoed in the meet thread for our cruise.

I still loved 14 nights on the ship and would do it again in a heartbeat, but perhaps this is a trend Disney needs to look into on these PC cruises?

Sorry there were dining problems. They can and do drop the ball on allergies every once in a while. My allergies are duly noted and on my last cruise, there was a mishap and the head server decided to send me a treat. A very nice gesture however the treat was something covered in blue cheese and I'm allergic to blue cheese! I wouldn't even let it into my cabin, lol. (And they didn't attempt a suitable replacement.)

I'm curious though, if you know, why the people you met thought Clayton was the problem. I'm going on the EBTA in October and hope to have a fun time!

Your tour with Dora in Cartegena...is she with Cartegena Tours by Marelvy Pena?

Was anything "special" scheduled for your missed port, Puerto Vallarta?

I hope you reconsider DCL in the future. Having cruised many times in the past, DCL is my favorite for many reasons.

Is the WBPC always a turnover cruise? This is the first time I've heard of this. Not sure why, but I thought it was very staggered when crew changes.

I was on that cruise and had the complete opposite experience. No kids though. But our host was exceptional. We asked for extra soaps and lotions and he left those every service. First night we told him we would need ice every night and he never neglected that. Called us by name and chatted with us every day. We were two adults not sharing a bed so when we desired to switch beds he changed sheets even thigh it was not the scheduled change day. Our server was quiet but very efficient however he got sick half way through and our assistant took over and it was just like it was his time to "shine" and he went out of his way to impress and our new assistant was "earning his ears" but did fantastic the only complaint was one night he forgot to give me a soup spoon.

Then on the other hand our room only had the new bed and sofa and carpet. It had the old steamer trunk instead of cabinet. I did not notice more outlets. Not a problem though. Best 14 nights I ever had in a row!!!!

Interesting feedback. We plan on taking this cruise (or the eastbound) when my son is nearly 5 or 4plus for eastbound in either 2018 or 2017.

I'm curious though, if you know, why the people you met thought Clayton was the problem. I'm going on the EBTA in October and hope to have a fun time!

I hope you reconsider DCL in the future. Having cruised many times in the past, DCL is my favorite for many reasons.

Re: Clayton: According to them...and they knew a lot of officers (a different one dined with them each nigh t of the cruise), Clayton does the entertainment booking for the cruise and some of the headliners that he used were the people that stepped up as headliners last year on the EBPC when they skipped 2 ports and could not pick up the scheduled headliners Jimmy scheduled. I thought Clayton was friendly and funny and upbeat, but if his job involves actually scheduling and maintaining the entertainment, I tend to agree with them. The same movies played on a loop the entire time. Cinderella was shown at the beginning of the cruise to a packed out house, standing room only, and they never added additional showings, even on the cancelled PV day...stuff like that.

Our tour with Dora was with Dora the Explorer... http://cartagenatour.com/

No, nothing was scheduled "special" for our missed day in PV. They did not even open the kids clubs earlier. They maintained the "in-port" schedules for the pool and kids areas. That was a MAJOR bummer. AND they knew we were missing the port days in advance, so they had time to at least change the loop of movies playing on the in room tvs.

We're booked on the 2016 WBPC - I'm a little nervous now! My kids will be around yours in age (7.5, just turned 5, 3yo)

Sorry to hear about your not completely awesome trip. I feel the things you mentioned would also bum me out too. I was recently on the Fantasy and the ship was beautiful and CMs generally very pleasant. I didn't run into any CMs that were short-timers so maybe that made the difference? The other guests however weren't all pleasant. Rude people with no sense of common courtesy. Not Disney's fault but when I vented to Guest Services for example, the only thing they did was listen to me vent, and never directly addressed the offending guests.

In your case of dining and room issues, did you talk directly to the servers/room host? I'm not one to hide from confrontation if necessary and if things happened to me like they did for you, I'd be giving a few lectures!

As for the added sea day, that's annoying that it was on a port schedule. One thing that surprised me (negatively) for my first DCL cruise was that there weren't a lot of things to do onboard for port days. Things opened later (in the afternoon), i.e. movies, characters. I can understand the characters but why not allow movies in the theatre in the morning. I would've loved to have been able to watch a movie in the morning while everyone else was off the ship.

Anyways, thank you for the review! I've been thinking of a future PC cruise, now I'm a bit hesitant. I'll be on the Wonder for Alaska in Aug. Any particular CMs that were great, or really bad? Do you know if this Clayton guy is sticking around for Alaska? Thanks!

Sorry there were dining problems. They can and do drop the ball on allergies every once in a while. My allergies are duly noted and on my last cruise, there was a mishap and the head server decided to send me a treat. A very nice gesture however the treat was something covered in blue cheese and I'm allergic to blue cheese! I wouldn't even let it into my cabin, lol. (And they didn't attempt a suitable replacement.)

My DS and I went on the Marelvy Pena tour she's rated #1 for tours and my DH Went on the Disney best of Cartagena with folkloric show (long story) but anyway his tour was cheaper and I think it might have been better than the tour we went on. I would say we all thought the tours were just ok. To be fair, we are not history buffs and would have preferred something cultural but adventurous. There just wasn't much to pick from.

As for the added sea day, that's annoying that it was on a port schedule. One thing that surprised me (negatively) for my first DCL cruise was that there weren't a lot of things to do onboard for port days. Things opened later (in the afternoon), i.e. movies, characters. I can understand the characters but why not allow movies in the theatre in the morning. I would've loved to have been able to watch a movie in the morning while everyone else was off the ship.

I think the main reason the port day onboard activities start later in the day is that the lounges and theatres are usually in use for port adventure dispatch. Once the BVT gets freed up, it can resume being used to show movies.

We were on this Panama Westbound Crossing and did the same trip last year and the experience was pretty much the same for us compared to last year - simply awesome. On both trips, we were on deck 2 port side and we really enjoyed the refurbished rooms - our room hostess was excellent and kept our room in tip-top shape with any amenity that we expect from a DCL cruise. On this voyage (shortened by one day over last year) we did not make Puerto Vallarta due to the security concerns, BTW we completely agree and commend DCL on this decision - we did not hear a peep out from any guests complaining about this decision. In exchange for missing the port, an extra Pixar Party was put on in the Atrium plus tons of extra opportunity for character greetings. Our early seating Main Dining servers were top notch and we very accommodating to the varied requests from our group of 9.

The entertainment and variety of movies available also exceeded our expectations - the entire Avenger's series was available in the BVT and the newest Avenger's movie in 3D was shown in the WDT at least twice. Cinderella was available on at least three different viewings in the BVT but not in the WDT - which would have been nice. The shows in WDT were great and Toy Story was actually enjoyable (we've seen it twice before) as Clayton really motivated the guests before the show - last year we had Jimmy as our Cruise Director (he was also excellent), but Clayton was equally great and regularly engaged with the guests. The Frozen deck party (Freezing the Night Away) was also a great show considering that is was their first show and the cool windy weather for that evening.

All in all a great cruise and I would recommend the 14-day Panama Crossing to any DCL cruiser. The cast and crew of the DCL Wonder provided an exceptional experience to our group.

I also was on this cruise and had the complete opposite experience! It was our 5th Disney cruise and the best one yet! Our dining servers where phenomenal as well as our stateroom host. Our servers were friendly, helpful, chatted with us, gave us nightly puzzles to solve and always asked if there was anything they could do better. Our stateroom host brought us ice every night, wine glasses, chatted with us in the hall and regularly asked if there was anything at all we need help with.

I thought the officers were fantastic and it was the first cruise that I really got to know them - chatting with the Captain or Hotel director in the halls, who always recognized us. I thought Clayton was great and hilarious! The Adult Pacific pool party with the officers was a ton of fun as well as the Steering Committe hide and seek (which was offered a second time on the extra sea day).

And Natasha at the pin trading station also knew us saved pins aside for us that we were looking for, for our collection. We thought the shows were great, CM's were great. We made connections with the Head Chef at Animator's (who made special meals for us and took great care of our tablemate with allergies), the cook at the omlet station at Beach Blanket buffet and even some of the cleaning staff. So, we had the opposite experience with the CM's. We thought the CM talent show was great and they added an extra appearance of the "deck band" on the extra sea day on the pool deck. Also, the extra cabaret put on by the Walt Disney performers was phenomenal and their personal stories were touching.

I would also recommend this cruise to anyone!

:happytv:
Re: Clayton: According to them...and they knew a lot of officers (a different one dined with them each nigh t of the cruise), Clayton does the entertainment booking for the cruise and some of the headliners that he used were the people that stepped up as headliners last year on the EBPC when they skipped 2 ports and could not pick up the scheduled headliners Jimmy scheduled. I thought Clayton was friendly and funny and upbeat, but if his job involves actually scheduling and maintaining the entertainment, I tend to agree with them. The same movies played on a loop the entire time. Cinderella was shown at the beginning of the cruise to a packed out house, standing room only, and they never added additional showings, even on the cancelled PV day...stuff like that.

Our tour with Dora was with Dora the Explorer... http://cartagenatour.com/

No, nothing was scheduled "special" for our missed day in PV. They did not even open the kids clubs earlier. They maintained the "in-port" schedules for the pool and kids areas. That was a MAJOR bummer. AND they knew we were missing the port days in advance, so they had time to at least change the loop of movies playing on the in room tvs.

I would guess that I watched the in room movie The Imagination Game at least ten times! popcorn:: Love the movie compared to the other choices. And, I like the Marvel movies but.... it was a 14 day not 7 day cruise and we have done more than a dozen DCL trips with a few on the Magic in Europe and the movies were switched out often.

I long to one day do a Panama Canal cruise! We had Clayton Two years ago on the Fantasy and loved him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter