Home of the Braves (for one last Spring, anyway!), a solo pre-trip report

singingpixie

<font color=deeppink>Baby Donor<br><font color=blu
Since I’m a little less than 2 weeks, out, it seems like a reasonable time to start a pre-trip report!

I’m Megan, 34, and about to take off on my first solo trip. As a grown-up theater kid, I’ve always appreciated Disney for the attention to detail in design and the immersive experiences, but honestly I’m an even bigger Atlanta Braves fan. I’ve been down for Spring Training when I was married, but I’ve not been back in several years. I wanted to take this opportunity to get there one more time before they move onto their new spot on the Gulf Coast next year, because I can’t imagine the next stadium will have such easy access for fans to see what’s happening on the practice fields before the game!

44543164_10104721970086047_2409486656034832384_n.jpg

This is a quick budget trip, since I’ve got several other travel plans coming up later in the year (a choir tour to Scotland in May, a possible beach trip with friends during the summer, and likely visiting family in California this fall). Luckily, I’m in North Carolina so it’s a relatively easy drive. I found an offsite hotel on Hotwire for a good price, and it has a kitchenette so I’m planning to save myself time and money packing most of my breakfasts and one lunch ahead of time. I’ve got non-expiring park hopper tickets from previous trips, so I’ll be using two days of those. All that savings will make me feel ok splurging in a couple key areas- food and drinks in the parks, and a good seat for the game!

Here’s the high-level plan:

Tuesday, 2/26: Drop off my dog with my parents, and then head to work ASAP to get an early start. Hopefully leave the office around 2 and hit the road. It’s an 8 hour drive to Orlando, which I’ll do with probably one bathroom/gas/food stop around Jacksonville. If all goes well, I will be asleep by 10:30 or 11.

Wednesday, 2/27: MK/AK

Thursday, 2/28: Baseball day! Spend the evening exploring resorts for dinner/drinks/fireworks

Friday, 3/1: HS/Epcot

Saturday, 3/2: Head home

As much as I appreciate the flexibility that going solo gives me, I am in my heart a planner. Honestly, I’m excited that in this case I can work things out ahead of time without making anyone else feel burdened with structure! So I’ve been playing around on Touring Plans, and I think I have a good plan of attack for my days.

On Wednesday 2/27, there are a few musts to hit at MK, and then I’ll spend the majority of the day at AK, taking time to just hang out in Africa and Pandora. Here’s what I’m thinking:

Arrive at the TTC by 7:15 or so, park, and head to the park. I’ve got a PPO ADR at Be Our Guest, which I know is way overpriced, but I decided it was worth it to get a taste of Fantasyland that I would most likely have to forgo without it in the interest of time. I expect to get into the park around 7:45, walk briskly back to the restaurant, eat, and hopefully be done by 8:30. Then I’ll line up to be on one of the first couple 7DMT trains. After that I’ll hit BTMRR, Splash (FP), Pirates, HM and Space (FP). I currently have a 11:10 FP for Pirates that I could use if I have fallen behind, but I’ll probably cancel it and book a FP at AK as soon as I scan in for Space. Hopefully I’ll be done in MK by 11 and headed back to the car.

At AK, I’ll have to be more flexible depending on FP luck, but as a single on a day that’s expected to be low-to-moderate crowds, I’m hoping I can make some version of this work. I don’t mind extra walking, but I do find that minimizing that lets me enjoy the theming in a particular area of the park. It’s hard to feel immersed if I’m running from Africa to Dinoland to Asia and back again every 30 mins!

I’ll plan to hit up Satu’li Canteen around noon (mobile order should help since it’ll be peak lunchtime), and then the 1pm Nemo show. I’ll hopefully have pulled a FP for Dinosaur around 1:30, and hop in the SR line for Everest after that. I’ll do Maharajah Jungle Trek before moving on to Africa. I’m hoping to be able to snag a Kilimanjaro Safaris FP sometime in the afternoon, and do that, the Gorilla Falls Trail, and spend some time enjoying Harambe (including maybe a snack) before the 5pm FOTLK show. Then I’ll grab an appetizer and a cocktail or two at Nomad Lounge, and spend the evening in Pandora, enjoying the drummers, the atmosphere, maybe a Pongu lumpia, and ideally Na’vi River and FOP. I’m crossing every appendage that I’ll be able to grab a FP for one or the other of these within the last couple hours the park is open. If not, Touring Plans seems to think Na’vi’s line will dip to under 20 mins by 7 or so, so I could ride that standby before I have to jump in the FOP line. If this doesn’t seem to be happening, I’m prepared to skip Na’vi.

If I’m really energetic/wired, I may stop to grab a drink at Victoria Falls at AKL before heading back to the hotel, just because I really like that spot. But that’s probably too optimistic!

On Thursday, 2/28, it’s baseball day! As far as I can tell, things start happening on the practice fields by 8 or 9 am, so I’ll get an early start just like I’m going to a park. I’ll grab breakfast in my room, and bring along a picnic lunch so that I don’t have to take time going back to the main part of the WWOS to eat. Plus, as a pescatarian, there isn’t a ton that is worth the money for me in the ballpark. I’d rather save the money and my appetite for later on.

Hanging out watching the practice is hard to plan for, so I figure I’ll just wander back there with a few balls and pens in my backpack and see what’s happening. Probably major leaguers first, then when they head in to get ready for the game I’ll check out what’s happening in the minor league section- which reminds me I need to study up on some of the younger prospects so I know who to look out for. The game is at 1, so I’ll head into the stadium probably around noon and catch that. I nerded out and got a good reserved seat. It’s fun to sit on the grass here, but on my own it didn’t seem worth the hassle of having someone watch my stuff if I went to the bathroom, etc.

After the game ends at 4ish, my plan is to resort hop. I’ll wear pants that can work dressed down for the game and then up for the evening, and bring a change of shirt and shoes in the car. I know I definitely want to hit California Grill Lounge for sushi and fireworks, and Trader Sam’s after that. The simplest option would be to park at the Poly and just hang out on the monorail loop, aiming to get to CG around 6:30. If I’m feeling energetic and have time to kill, I may try to check out Geyser Point first instead. I could still park at the Poly, monorail to the Contemporary and then boat to and from the Wilderness Lodge, or I could just drive there and park twice. It’ll probably just depend on my mood and timing. While I don’t plan to get drunk (I am reasonably good at pacing myself over several hours), there is something freeing about not needing to deal with the car while out and about for the evening, and monorails and boats can be part of the fun!

If I get to the Contemporary by 6:30 or so, I’m hoping I can still snag a spot in the lounge for sushi. If I time it right, I’m thinking I can be done eating and have paid by 7:45 at the latest, and head out to watch the 8pm fireworks on the deck. That way I can hopefully let someone else take my seat in time to watch the show too (I feel uncomfortable with just camping a table while people wait), and I’ll avoid the crush of people trying to pay after HEA ends. Then I’ll move on to wrap up the night at Trader Sam’s, which I’m super excited for. I love the spot at Disneyland, but I haven’t made it to WDW’s yet!

On Friday 3/1, I’ll follow the Wednesday model, with HS and Epcot this time. For HS, I’ll plan to be there by 7:30 to hopefully be at the front of the rope drop crowd. I’m hoping I can get onto SDD on one of the first few trains, followed by TSMM and then Star Tours. Then I’ll use a 9am-10am FP for ToT, and a 10:30 FP for RnRC and be ready to move on to Epcot.

I’m planning to start refreshing for a Frozen FP as soon as I scan my first in DHS, since I haven’t booked 3 there (I figure I’ll be done by 11, so it doesn’t make sense). I’ll leave my car in the DHS lot and take the boat over to the International Gateway, because I love that approach to the park, and because I plan to spend the bulk of my time in World Showcase. I really wanted to do something along the lines of eating/drinking around the world, but as a solo that seemed too ambitious! Instead, I want to do something in each pavilion besides shopping- food, drink, attraction, or entertainment.

I’ll start out in the UK with a drink at the pub. Then I’ll head to the Tangierine Cafe in Morocco for lunch. I should time it so that I’m in Japan for the 1:10 drumming show, and will definitely catch Voices of Liberty at 1:50. After that, I’m thinking something sweet- either gelato in Italy or a pastry in France. If I’ve gotten lucky, I should have a Frozen FP for 2:30ish (I’ve been watching in the past couple weeks, and it seems like if I’m going to get one, early-to-mid afternoon is the time they are most likely to pop up). Then I’ll catch the 3:30 performance in Canada. After that I’ve got a couple things I want to get to in Future World- Soarin (will start looking for an afternoon FP as soon as I scan into Frozen), Spaceship Earth (FP if possible, but standby should be ok), the exhibits in The Seas (I’m a nerd), and if possible Test Track via Single Rider. (I’m prepared to skip this one for time or weather- we’re a long ways out, but rain looks possible each day.) Then back to wrap up World Showcase, La Cava del Tequila for a margarita and chips/guac, probably the Mexico boat ride because it’s nostalgic and would be fun a bit tipsy, the acrobats show in China (7:10 probably), something to eat in Germany (either the gnudel gratin or a pretzel?), and dessert in either Italy or France depending on which I skipped earlier. I’ll grab a spot for Illuminations, and then head back toward my car via the International Gateway. I’m tempted to swing by Abracadabar on the way, but once again, I think I’ll need to gauge my energy and interest in an additional drink!

Saturday 3/2 is on paper at least, a travel day. I don’t think I’ll want to spend the time for a sit-down breakfast, and frankly I may be Disney’d out after 2 ½ packed days. But it’s possible I’ll want one last bit of Disney, whether that’s Disney Springs, Tonga Toast at Captain Cook’s, or beignets at POFQ. Or a last-minute breakfast ADR, which shouldn’t be too hard to get as a single. But I also know I’ll want to get home at a reasonable hour, reunite with my puppy (he’s about 5 months old and hasn’t been away from me for more than one night since I got him!), and get back to real life.

Here's a gratuitous puppy photo :)

48928905_10104835181514437_7700903905353269248_n.jpg

I realize that this plan seems like a lot. They are all long days, and I have probably pre-scheduled a good bit more shows/food/drinks/attractions than most people would, especially on a solo trip when flying-by-the-seat-of-one’s-pants is a primary benefit! The thing is, I know I can change plans and I will if I’m not having fun. But I’m someone whose default is to think a lot about the best way to do things. If I don’t do that ahead of time, I find myself doing it in the moment which means I’m stuck in my head when I should be enjoying! I do better if I get myself down to a few likely options ahead of time, and then just choose in the moment from those.

Looking at the itinerary I do have quite a few food and drink stops planned, especially for a budget trip. I think it makes sense for me. I’ve got two quick-service actual lunches planned, which are healthy-ish and more substantial. Dinners are more of a progressive snack model. This gives me a chance to hang out and enjoy multiple locations, whether that’s countries in Epcot, sections of the AK, or different resort lounges. That’s the relaxation component to this trip to me, just like sleeping in or relaxing by the pool might be to someone else. I don’t sit and “do nothing” well, but grabbing a snack or cocktail and sitting with it to enjoy the ambiance is something I’m really looking forward to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter