Homeschool Chat Part III

Not sure what type of learner but I'm guessing he's visual. When he hyperfocuses on some subject, he will read about it for hours and he can tell you everything about it. One of the things he gets obsessive about is Disney. So he's got all the Birnbaum's-the kids and the regular ones-and he memorized everything. He knows the entire Disney timeline by heart and can tell you all the milestones :) :)

Mine gets frustrated at math. This has led to tantrums at school, so I want to find him a curriculum that won't frustrate him. But I don't want to purchase an expensive one, since there's only three months of school left. Thinking of spectrum and possibly a math computer game.

Have you considered the "Life of Fred" books?

Has anyone used the Explode the Code program online vs. the books? I know it is more expensive, but I tried the demo with dd today and she seemed to enjoy it. We have not used the books, though, just seen them and heard about them. Wondering pros and cons if anyone is familiar with the online program? We will probably due handwriting separately, so we will be using it solely from a phonics perspective.

GusGus77 said:
Have you considered the "Life of Fred" books?

No, I have not heard of these. What are they and where do you find them. I've pieced together just about everything, except math. I got Wordly Wise today..I love those books.

Is anyone on here from Georgia? I am about to pull out my autistic son and I've never pulled any of mine out during school before. They always started at the beginning of the year. I'm just wondering about the process. The GA law says you only have to notify the school.

I've been doing this for 11 years, and I'm so nervous about this. Nervous about him being different, about being able to get him to see me as a teacher and not just mom.

I have no clue what curriculum to use for a 4 th grade autistic child and no time to plan!

Since you are right at the end of the year why don't you try something online like Time4Learning. This way you aren't buying all kinds of curriculum half way through. I have a child with autism and it works well for him because it has a lot of animated, short lessons. You can also use brainpop.

Hi. I've been on the Dis for over a year, but for some reason haven't really commented in the homeschool threads. We homeschool our children and have homeschooled the teens for almost 10 years. Recently, I decided to try an online program to supplement my DD6's curriculum. She's doing K5 Learning. Had anyone used this program?

I am using it to supplement Time4Learning to teach my son the times tables. Its going well.

Not sure what type of learner but I'm guessing he's visual. When he hyperfocuses on some subject, he will read about it for hours and he can tell you everything about it. One of the things he gets obsessive about is Disney. So he's got all the Birnbaum's-the kids and the regular ones-and he memorized everything. He knows the entire Disney timeline by heart and can tell you all the milestones :) :)

Wow, that's great that he loves learning facts about Disney. Does he have the Imagineer's Guides to the parks?

Sorry I can't help you with a math curriculum.

Has anyone used the Explode the Code program online vs. the books? I know it is more expensive, but I tried the demo with dd today and she seemed to enjoy it. We have not used the books, though, just seen them and heard about them. Wondering pros and cons if anyone is familiar with the online program? We will probably due handwriting separately, so we will be using it solely from a phonics perspective.

Yes!!! I think the online version is a much better value. If you purchase through homeschoolbuyerscoop.com, its much cheaper...like $38 a year I think? We used it my DD's whole first grade year. She got through many of the "books" so that I didn't think it was worth the value to go through another year...but its definitely worth it! She now reads at a 5th grade level (at 7)...another reason I think she's past phonics need. And she thought it was a game!

I'm the Mom of an 8 year old extremely gifted child. We are homeschooling him after trying every avenue at our disposal (montessori, public, "gifted" school) with no success.

We made the decision a couple of weeks into his 1st grade year. We are in grade 3 and he's doing unbelievably well. We are working on the socialization, although it's hard because, as a gifted child, his idea of socialization is not the same as many 8 year olds. We struggle with this a great deal (me more than him!).

He's starting piano lessons and we are going to do soccer in another month. He will also do 4-H this year. We have searched for kids with similar interests, in our area, but we have had little luck. I'm hopeful that more opportunities will arise, but we are certain that we are making the right decision for now.

My husband does the schooling during the day. I work more than full-time. My Mom comes to do the English and Literature (my husband is dyslexic).

More than you probably wanted to know, but I'm excited to find this group!

I'm also a Disneyaholic and we are planning our next trip for the beginning of December.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting to know you!party:

Dee

I'm the Mom of an 8 year old extremely gifted child. We are homeschooling him after trying every avenue at our disposal (montessori, public, "gifted" school) with no success.

We made the decision a couple of weeks into his 1st grade year. We are in grade 3 and he's doing unbelievably well. We are working on the socialization, although it's hard because, as a gifted child, his idea of socialization is not the same as many 8 year olds. We struggle with this a great deal (me more than him!).

He's starting piano lessons and we are going to do soccer in another month. He will also do 4-H this year. We have searched for kids with similar interests, in our area, but we have had little luck. I'm hopeful that more opportunities will arise, but we are certain that we are making the right decision for now.

My husband does the schooling during the day. I work more than full-time. My Mom comes to do the English and Literature (my husband is dyslexic).

More than you probably wanted to know, but I'm excited to find this group!

I'm also a Disneyaholic and we are planning our next trip for the beginning of December.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting to know you!party:

Dee

How do you accommodate at home? Higher grade level or deeper learning?

Yes!!! I think the online version is a much better value. If you purchase through homeschoolbuyerscoop.com, its much cheaper...like $38 a year I think? We used it my DD's whole first grade year. She got through many of the "books" so that I didn't think it was worth the value to go through another year...but its definitely worth it! She now reads at a 5th grade level (at 7)...another reason I think she's past phonics need. And she thought it was a game!

Thanks! I didn't see it currently on the site, though. I was thinking of buying it in the next couple of months as my dd has already gone through all the phonics I had for her for the year and it is only February!!! (And she loves being on the computer!)

Been skimming through and would like some advice.

My 4 year old son goes to PK at a Catholic school. He LOVES going and I have no intention of pulling him, but I'd like to do some sort of summer school at home so he doesn't have 8-10 weeks of "nothing". But I have no idea where to start! I think I'd like to focus on early reading skills. He knows his letters, the sounds they make, and how to write upper and lower case. We've just started on sight words. I'd also like an age appropriate math curriculum to follow.

Other types of learning go on all the time...we garden, compost, recycle. He does karate and will be attending two weeks of Lego camp (kid is CRAZY good at Legos). We enjoy hiking and exploring. We do letterboxing and geocaching. So I'm not looking to spend a large chunk of the day with formal learning, but do want to continue to build on what he has learned this year.

TIA!

Been skimming through and would like some advice.

My 4 year old son goes to PK at a Catholic school. He LOVES going and I have no intention of pulling him, but I'd like to do some sort of summer school at home so he doesn't have 8-10 weeks of "nothing". But I have no idea where to start! I think I'd like to focus on early reading skills. He knows his letters, the sounds they make, and how to write upper and lower case. We've just started on sight words. I'd also like an age appropriate math curriculum to follow.

Other types of learning go on all the time...we garden, compost, recycle. He does karate and will be attending two weeks of Lego camp (kid is CRAZY good at Legos). We enjoy hiking and exploring. We do letterboxing and geocaching. So I'm not looking to spend a large chunk of the day with formal learning, but do want to continue to build on what he has learned this year.

TIA!

You can pick up some workbooks at almost any store that sells books(Kumon or JumpStart and many others) or look online for free downloads. JumpStart is a computer based game that changes as your child learns. I would get maybe a K book and work that or review with him and aim for @ 30min

Well, we've had three days under our belt and it's going ok.

Tuesday and Thursday are harder because my older daughter is also there. Got much of what I need but I'd love recommendations for a geography curriculum for fourth grade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter