"Honorary citizen of Disneyland" button?

TheAmazingSpidey

1934 - 2009
I saw a picture of this button, and it got me curious. What's it mean, and how do you get it? Can you simply ask for it? (I'm a collector). Thanks for any info! :)

I'm not sure if you can ask for it.
I was given them twice by cast members for "showing Disney spirit."

The first one I actually got from the Dream team two years ago, and they even made me take the "honorary citizen oath."

I'm not sure if you can ask for it.
I was given them twice by cast members for "showing Disney spirit."

The first one I actually got from the Dream team two years ago, and they even made me take the "honorary citizen oath."

What did you do? To "show Disney spirit," I mean.:wizard:

We were asked to take the oath too.:) I felt silly because there we were (myself and teenaged son) in the AP processing center with our hands raised quoting the oath as people stared us as if "what are they doing?". But it was fun also. :) We had just arrived and were SO excited to be getting AP's again and to finally be at DLR that the CM said she wanted to reward us for our Disney spirit (or something similar.....I can't remember the exact wording, but we thought it was great!)

I think you can ask for them. My brother got one when his kids got first visit buttons and I got mine when I was with some friends who were talking with a CM they knew and she gave us all one.

The spirit of them is that they are given when the CMs see a moment to make a special "to do" over something. Asking for them doesn't quite feel like the idea of being made an Honorary Citizen, but I am sure if you asked for one, you'd receive one.

My four year old son received one as we were exiting Tower of Tower. He was very excited and chattering away. The CM said that she thought he was very brave and pinned it on him. We got a pass on the oath :rotfl:

We popped into City Hall for 'first visit' buttons & they had run out :(

But the nice lady gave us all 'honorary citizen' buttons, she even wrote our names on them.........

It was our very first 'Disney magic' moment of our trip, later on we were spotted wearing our badges & were asked to pilot the Mark Twain, magic moment number 2 :woohoo:

Here's a pic of DD9 wearing her badge just before hopping on the Mark Twain

IMG_1189.jpg

What did you do? To "show Disney spirit," I mean.:wizard:

My friends would say I was an excited tourist on sugar rush. ;)

We were fooling around near the landing of Pirate's Lair the day the Christmas Parade was taped. So the place was virtually empty because everyone was on Main Street.

I noticed two CMs standing there who obviously found us very amusing. I noticed they were wearing lanyards, so I pretty much ran up to them. It was my first time pin trading and yes, I was overexcited. I was so overexcited that I was completely oblivious to the fact that we had found the Dream Team. :rotfl:

We got chatting because I had lots of Paris pins on my lanyard, and then I was told they had a gift for me because I was showing Disney spirit and we were presented with the Honorary Citizen buttons. After we had taken the oath we also got a certificate for a Magic Moment, special seating for Billy Hill.

The second one was similar. I was watching the Firehouse Show with Chip & Dale, Cruella and Goofy. It was the first time I had seen the show, and I must have looked like a child in a candy store.

A custodial cast member approached me and asked if it was my first time and if I had enjoyed the show. I told him yes, first time seeing the show and loved it, but third time in Disneyland and that I was coming in each year from Germany to visit my friends in the area and to come and visit Disneyland. Can you tell I talk too much when I am excited? ;) Turned out that he had been in Germany with the Army not far from where I live. Then he said now he'd be welcoming me to where he lived and gave me the second button.

We got the honorary citizen (stickers) when we were picked to help open DL. :goodvibes

Me and my two friends got them a couple summers back when we went to City Hall and reported our favorite CMs and put in a good word for them.

We have received buttons a couple of times, once we took my BFF and DFi, it was his first trip so we got him a button, he wore it proudly, someone noticed and asked if it was really his first trip, he said yes and that his awesome friends were making sure he was having the BEST time and it was better than WDW etc etc. Well obviously he was very excited so they gave us all honorary citizen buttons, we wore them very proudly that weekend. :) We also received them from a CM when one of my girls turned something in to lost and found, they said she definitely has the spirit and gave us the button then. I'm sure you could ask for one but it's so cool to be awarded one, and yes, we took the oath both times. :)

DS has gotten a few. Some for just being cute. One because a big 10+ year old was roughhousing in the bug's land water area and slammed into E when he was only 3, which knocked DS to the ground. CM came out of nowhere, sent the big kid away, and gave DS the Citizen button and some stickers.

We received our buttons and took the oath when we got on the teacups from the ride operator, we all had our matching Mickey shirts on and my hubby kept saying (rather loudly) 'I love Disneyland woooooo' and doing his best Mickey impression of "Oh Boy", which is actually pretty good and my daughter (5 at the time) kept yelling 'me too me too' I was laughing so hard, he was on a major caffeine rush, thanks to the refillable coffees on Main Street.

We got them at Minnie and Friends, pretty much for just coming in fro breakfast.

My son got one in Bug's Land in CA. The CM snuck up behind him and scared him. (He wasn't trying to scare him at all, but my son started crying.) Both kids were on edge after walking past the "It's tough to be a Bug" line. We saw that at WDW and I think that he is scarred for life! It was way too intense and talk about sensory overload!

Anyway, the CM came up behind him while we were waiting for the flying balloon ride to start and kind of did a funny evil laugh. In a normal situation, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

The Cm apologized over and over and I assured him that it was okay. He gave both kids an Honorary Citizen button. (I guess to make up for freaking him out)

You know, come to think of it. Captain Hook snuck up behind my son at WDW and he started crying then too. Maybe people shouldn't sneak up on kids!:goodvibes

We were in World of Disney at DTD last Sunday. We had just arrived in Anaheim that day and were doing some shopping before meeting friends at the Rainforest for dinner. We were looking at the little Disney villages and the CM asked if we wanted to seem them lit up. He started asking us where we were from and how long we were staying in town. We told him about a convention DH was attending and that we'd be staying for a week. He said, "Well, I have to make you honorary citizens. Wait right here." He went into the room behind the register and came back with 4 buttons. He didn't ask us to take an oath. We just thanked him and left.:)

We received them when we were picked to open the park. I didn't know you could get them any other way, but it makes sense. One time while standing in line I guess I was participating in the cheering before they opened the gates rather enthusiastically that a CM gave me a Mickey Mouse pin for my enthusiasm.

I've seen a lot more honorary citizen badges in my past few visits. I think mostly because they're always out of the "I'm Celebrating" buttons so they give these out instead. They gave me an honorary citizen badge in May when it was my mom's birthday because they were out of Celebration ones. Then in June when I went for my own birthday, they were still out of them. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter