House Hunters

I think it’s something that is either a love it or hate it. My parents used their individual sinks every day. They didn’t get double sinks until they moved into their final house, and I think they were over having to share. The single sink homes basically had a pedestal sink in their ensuite, so there was no counter, cabinet, or drawer space, and no way to modify the bathroom to add it. In the last house, they each had at least three feet of counter space, with a double cabinet and three drawers each. They loved it. But not everyone is the same.
My parents had their own, tiny bathroom. Sink with a stall shower across from it, and a toilet next to the sink. This was the second bathroom. I don't think there was ever more than one person in any bathroom at a time. Same with my current house when our kids were still living at home. Now the kids are gone, just 2 of us and 3 bathrooms. We just got back from an 8 day road trip, staying in hotels so just one bathroom, but just one of us in there at a time.

My parents had their own, tiny bathroom. Sink with a stall shower across from it, and a toilet next to the sink. This was the second bathroom. I don't think there was ever more than one person in any bathroom at a time. Same with my current house when our kids were still living at home. Now the kids are gone, just 2 of us and 3 bathrooms. We just got back from an 8 day road trip, staying in hotels so just one bathroom, but just one of us in there at a time.
The good thing about just using one bathroom is you only have to clean one bathroom. I mean heavy cleaning anyway.

I watch HH almost every night when I go to bed. It helps me fall asleep. Sometimes it takes me three nights to finish one episode. I like the shows where the house is huge and luxurious. I don’t want to see my house- a modest three bedroom house. But I do get annoyed by some of the entitled people who want two sinks in the master bathroom, or think the walk-in closet is too small when it is bigger than my master bedroom. It makes me think that all Americans are rich. (Jk)

I used to watch it more. Lately it seems like they try to cast more unusual couples who are looking for strange things. Or couples who disagree about what they want. I guess that keeps it interesting. I can never guess which house they choose.

I like the House Hunters international version best. I like to see what houses look like in other parts of the world.

There used to be a similar show but for people picking out just a house somewhere for a vacation. Called Sweet Retreats. I liked that show a lot.
Yes, DW and I like to have a slow weekend breakfast and watch a few episodes of House Hunters International.

I always expect the realtor to throw up his/her hands and walk out of the initial meeting. "I want a house in the city center." "Well, I want a house out away from the city." CAN'T YOU PEOPLE FIGURE THIS OUT BEFORE YOU SIT DOWN WITH YOUR REALTOR? :D

We also like to watch Escape To The Country--kind of the BBC equivalent.

I enjoy House Hunters. I just got Discovery+ and they have a ton of episodes, including "Classic". They're from the really early days of the show and they are looking in the newspaper classified ads for houses. The homes are not nearly as fancy as what's on most of the episodes now, and it's a whole different vibe.

I always wondered if the show pays the buyers for some portion of the cost of the house as in incentive to be on the show? Clearly parts are scripted and seems the show producers always manage to insert some drama. For those international locations, it is amazing the poor condition of many of those houses and how much time/money/effort would be required to make them livable again.

I always wondered if the show pays the buyers for some portion of the cost of the house as in incentive to be on the show? Clearly parts are scripted and seems the show producers always manage to insert some drama.
They're paid something to appear on the show, so in a way, the show is paying a bit for the house.

For those international locations, it is amazing the poor condition of many of those houses and how much time/money/effort would be required to make them livable again.
They call that "rustic"

I always wondered if the show pays the buyers for some portion of the cost of the house as in incentive to be on the show? Clearly parts are scripted and seems the show producers always manage to insert some drama. For those international locations, it is amazing the poor condition of many of those houses and how much time/money/effort would be required to make them livable again.
I've heard the couples get $500. No idea for the owners of the house.

We used to have double sinks in our old house. I would get pissed when DH would use the second one because I had to clean them. :rotfl2:We were never in each other's way so in this house we have an extra long counter with a huge mirror and just one sink off to the side. There's many uses for the counter and mirror and only a handful of quick uses for the sink.

I'm not a big fan of the double sink either. I'd rather have the counter space.

That said, we have the perfect arrangement now. Our house was built in the mid 90's so we had a tiny shower, a toilet, and a huge tub we never used in our ensuite bathroom and a vanity area outside the bathroom with two sinks. We redid our bathroom two years ago and now have a large shower, a toilet, and a pedestal sink in the bathroom and a vanity area outside of it with one sink and a large countertop. We still have two sinks, but they are not together. We have, and I'm not kidding, THREE of the mirrors with storage sunk into the wall behind them.

If House Hunters came to our house people would probably be hating on it because it's not the norm, but I love our bathroom now. (And yes, there is still a tub in the hallway bathroom!) One contractor came and basically refused to work with us because he wanted to enclose the vanity area and master closet into the bathroom and make one HUGE bathroom. I didn't want a giant bathroom because we don't have a giant house. Our bedroom would have lost it's skylight and looked tiny next to it and I didn't want that much togetherness. I like the door between whatever is going on in the bathroom and the vanity area - no steamy mirrors, ETC!

Last edited:
Years ago, we'd watch all the time. Recently started watching the HH International again, specifically the folks moving to England, London, Britain. DH wanted to especially see the places/neighborhoods in London. They're still so fun to watch.
I've joked w DH about doing that Love it or List It show. I totally want to list this place, and he'd stay, but it needs major work either way.

I've joked w DH about doing that Love it or List It show. I totally want to list this place, and he'd stay, but it needs major work either way.
That show is good because you want to get a nice reno done, but even for that show, there's shenanigans - they shoot a Love It AND a List It ending, and decide which one to use while editing the episode.

When we sold our old house in 2018 and the buyers were on house hunters with it less than a year later. . The other two houses on the show were not in our neighborhood.

They weren't too harsh. Did say the kitchen needed redone which we were going to do if it did not sell.

The house was over 6,000 square feet and was way too much for DH and I after the kids were gone. It was funny to watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter