Housing trends you dislike?

LED lighting (this might just be a California thing since they outlawed incandescent bulbs)

No, it's not a California thing. Everything is transitioning to LED. If you really like Incandescent, you'll be able to find them but at a cost. Personally, I prefer LED -originally the quality wasn't there but it continues to get better and has surpassed incandescent unless you're buying garbage.

Everything's gray. Some friends of mine just built a new house. Everything, all the options for the building materials were gray. They got to choose between light gray, medium gray and dark gray. So now what should be a pretty house has gray tile, gray carpet, gray washed wood floors, gray paint, gray cabinets. Literally looks like a haunted house....

And then almost everything upholstered is gray these days. Good luck finding an actual color..... I want a new chair for my home office - two choices - dove or charcoal. 😡

Everything's gray. Some friends of mine just built a new house. Everything, all the options for the building materials were gray. They got to choose between light gray, medium gray and dark gray. So now what should be a pretty house has gray tile, gray carpet, gray washed wood floors, gray paint, gray cabinets. Literally looks like a haunted house....

And then almost everything upholstered is gray these days. Good luck finding an actual color..... I want a new chair for my home office - two choices - dove or charcoal. 😡

This was us except it was tones of tan.....I would rather have gray

No, it's not a California thing. Everything is transitioning to LED. If you really like Incandescent, you'll be able to find them but at a cost. Personally, I prefer LED -originally the quality wasn't there but it continues to get better and has surpassed incandescent unless you're buying garbage.

I just don't like how they tend towards "cool" colored light. We have high quality LEds in some of our can lights, and I went with the "warmest" light output, but even then it's got a bluish hue to my eyes. They also don't dim down as far as the halogen ones do, so you can't have really low light. They just turn off if the dimmer switch is pushed too low.

We are hoarding the few halogen bulb types that were originally in our home (built in 2015). Before they were outlawed, I ordered a case of them. We have them in our downstairs great room and bedroom. I will be so sad when the final one burns out.

Those stupid decorative signs that tell you what to do in each room. Like “EAT” for the kitchen, “WASH YOUR HANDS” for the bathroom and my favorite, “LIVE LAUGH LOVE” everywhere else.

zGpenj.gif

LED lighting (this might just be a California thing since they outlawed incandescent bulbs)
CFL's are still legal here in California. Personally, I'd take LED over CFL, I don't like the type of light CFLs give off. California is kind of late to the game, the incandescent bulbs were only banned here in 2020. The switch has it's roots in the Federal Energy Independence and Security Act signed by then President Bush in 2007. We remodeled in 2013-14 and LEDs were all the contractors would use then.

Rae Dunn... Shiplap.

I want a bardominium..

I don't understand this. How were they only given these choices for a home THEY PAID to have built? I get it if you are building a spec home, but if I was paying a contractor to build me a house, it would dang sure be the colors I wanted, and if I wanted purple ceilings, there would be purple freaking ceilings. Or I'd find another contractor.

Subdivisions where all the houses are the same color, shape, size, distance from the street, etc. Or the palette for the entire neighborhood is 2-3 beige tones, and everyone has one tree in the front, and there are a billion rules about what can and can't be placed in the yard. Ugh, zombieland! I want to buy them all a copy of The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Pinkwater.

My mom's neighborhood was a bunch of cute, unique cottages. As these places were winterized, they were squared off and look like huge blocks. This includes my mom's house. She was the first one to paint the sides gray, instead of the red, green, or creosote-soaked shingles of the 30's and 40's. Now almost all of the houses are gray so she painted hers blue :) But I miss the screened in porch, the side porch, and the open space under the house. Now it is one big open room inside with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. Boring.

Painting over brick, either inside a house or on the exterior. The flippers who bought my parents house, which was 53 years old, painted the floor to ceiling family room fireplace WHITE. Did I mention it was a used brick fireplace when it was built, so those bricks were over 100 years old and are now ruined.
Of course, they took out the entire fireplace in the Living room, I don't get that either. Especially since the company they hired to "stage" the house when they sold it, put a FAKE fireplace where the real one had been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter