Housing trends you dislike?

We replaced the huge dumb fluorescent box in the ceiling in our laundry room with two LED cans and it's so much nicer now.

LEDs are definitely much nicer than fluorescent bulbs, but in a laundry room, I am okay with fluorescent. We have a circular fluorescent fixture in ours and it's nice enough.

I don’t necessarily dislike it, but I do find it odd that a lot of folks are putting a big star on the side or front of their houses. Is it a barn thing, too?
How big, and are they brick houses?

Brick homes are common here, and the old ones commonly have structural star bolts on them; they are about 12" across. I notice that they are now being added to new homes that only have brick fronts, perhaps to make them blend in better (not that all that gray siding visible at an angle is ever really going to blend in among a full street of red brick.)

About star bolts: https://www.edtengineers.com/blog-post/star-bolts

It’s a thing in Texas because we are The Lone Star State. No idea why other states would use stars. As for the BIG bathrooms someone mentioned, I love ours.
I'm in Virginia and see them everywhere! I think maybe they just think they look nice.

How big, and are they brick houses?

Brick homes are common here, and the old ones commonly have structural star bolts on them; they are about 12" across. I notice that they are now being added to new homes that only have brick fronts, perhaps to make them blend in better (not that all that gray siding visible at an angle is ever really going to blend in among a full street of red brick.)

About star bolts: https://www.edtengineers.com/blog-post/star-bolts
They are on homes made of all materials and vary in size, though larger ones must be about 3 feet across. They are made of metal, though thinner than those lovely star bolts. They don't look bad and maybe they have always been on some homes, but I feel like the trend really took off just a few years back.

That is not true everywhere in the US. Here in AZ, unless you’re in a rural area, all the backyards have fences.

:thumbsup2 Yes, I know it's not everywhere, but it's definitely more common than over here (UK). I don't think I've ever come across it anywhere here.

Those stupid decorative signs that tell you what to do in each room. Like “EAT” for the kitchen, “WASH YOUR HANDS” for the bathroom and my favorite, “LIVE LAUGH LOVE” everywhere else.

My aunt LOVES those signs. There are all over the downstairs, where I have no design opinion that will get listened to. We have 'Family Is Everything' over our kitchen doorway, 'Live Laugh Love' in the downstairs john for some reason, the laundry room has 'Laundry Today or Naked Tomorrow,' and the tackiest one- 'Welcome to the Bathroom. Please Have a Seat' in the basement 1/2 bath.

The open concept in larger homes. My home is tiny (1400ft) compared to most newer homes and I can't see my kitchen unless I walk into it and I love that. I do have vaulted ceilings and my dining area blends into the LR just fine.

White kitchen cabinets. There's no way they stay clean.

We have them. They stay clean. The only part I need to clean periodically is the tiny lip created by the raised border that collects dust. Ours are thermafoil and wipe clean easily if they do end up splattered by something.

We have them throughout our house and I love them far more than traditional wood look ones.

Sliding barn doors

Huge "Farmhouse" sinks (give me a divided sink, please! )

LED lighting (this might just be a California thing since they outlawed incandescent bulbs)
When we remodeled we wanted to stay "period" and almost bought a sliding door for the garage. What stopped us was that you can't ever 100% open the door. It's either closed, left or right, never fully open. Glad we didn't.
Gonna disagree on the farmhouse sink. One of our biggest remodeling regrets is we let the lady designing the cabinets talk us out of one. Big mistake - they put the seam for the granite countertops in the middle of the sink (pretty common since it's a weak point when transporting the countertop after openings are cut). Not only that. but it doesn't quite line up. If we had the farmhouse sink we wanted there wouldn't be a seam. It bugs me every time I see it - which is pretty much every day.

LED lights are a necessary evil in CA. Better than the twisty fluorescents, but the dim-able ones don't work very well and the light is pretty harsh.

When we remodeled we wanted to stay "period" and almost bought a sliding door for the garage. What stopped us was that you can't ever 100% open the door. It's either closed, left or right, never fully open. Glad we didn't.
Gonna disagree on the farmhouse sink. One of our biggest remodeling regrets is we let the lady designing the cabinets talk us out of one. Big mistake - they put the seam for the granite countertops in the middle of the sink (pretty common since it's a weak point when transporting the countertop after openings are cut). Not only that. but it doesn't quite line up. If we had the farmhouse sink we wanted there wouldn't be a seam. It bugs me every time I see it - which is pretty much every day.

LED lights are a necessary evil in CA. Better than the twisty fluorescents, but the dim-able ones don't work very well and the light is pretty harsh.

Yeah, a seam like that would bug me as well. Our sink is on the island and it's surrounded by one huge slab of granite. No seams that I've ever noticed. It looks like they just cut a hole for the sink. Unless I'm just not seeing the seam.

I just can't stand to see dishes on a drying rack up on the counter. A farmhouse sink would bug me so much because I never need to wash anything THAT large.

Corkscrew townhomes. At least that's what we call them. We looked at a lot of townhomes before buying ours in 2019. Sometimes we'd drive up and immediately say, "Corkscrew!" It's the kind where you drive into the garage, then take a flight of stairs up to the kitchen/living room. Then you go up another flight to a couple of bedrooms and a bathroom. Then you go up another flight for the master bedroom. Sometimes there might even be a bonus room above that. We were looking to downsize to a place where we would spend our retirement. A "corkscrew" house wasn't going to cut it.

I just don't like how they tend towards "cool" colored light. We have high quality LEds in some of our can lights, and I went with the "warmest" light output, but even then it's got a bluish hue to my eyes. They also don't dim down as far as the halogen ones do, so you can't have really low light. They just turn off if the dimmer switch is pushed too low.

We are hoarding the few halogen bulb types that were originally in our home (built in 2015). Before they were outlawed, I ordered a case of them. We have them in our downstairs great room and bedroom. I will be so sad when the final one burns out.

If they are 2700 or 3000k, those shouldn't show any blue at all. Although -it's true that everyone perceives light differently. Is your room warmer tones as well? They should dim down to 5% which may not be as good as a halogen, but is really low and satisfies most people. The dimming problem can be a couple factors -low quality LED trims or the dimmer itself. If you ever try again in the near future use(or something similar):

Halo RL56069S1EWHR (for 5/6" cans)
Lutron DVCL153P-WH dimmer

Best of luck!

Me!

At least, I'm hanging onto our eye pleasing dimmable halogens as long as possible. LEDs are a trend I can't stand, although I know there's no going back to incandescent bulbs.
You can buy led bulbs that dim down to a nice burned orange color, we had these throughout our entire house at one point and they were great, they are a Phillips bulb

I hate the trend of smaller and smaller lots or rather a high percentage of lot coverage

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter