Housing trends you dislike?

i don't get the mega shower with a tub INSIDE the shower stall concept :crazy2: i would feel so claustrophobic in a tub that's inside a shower stall. i also look at all of that never ending enclosure glass and think how sitting inside of it in the tub i would ocd over every freaking water spot. nope, i'll stick with my shower/bath for the non primary and my separated tub and shower for the primary.

The fact that the minute you re-decorate/remodel your home is instantly outdated! Hate the gray trend, and if I hear "open concept" one more time.... I also can't stand the bright white kitchen. Looks like a sterile operating room. Another peeve: every child needs their own bedroom and bathroom. Since when can't kids share a room? And who the heck wants to clean 5 or more bathrooms! My final... I live in a desert, yet our HOA *in its infinite wisdom) requires that we have a lawn! Then we have restrictions on watering, it's so dumb! then they turn around and send flyers about zeroscaping but! it's not allowed per the HOA. What the heck!
Most people who have a house big enough to have 5 bathrooms have a cleaning service. As for landscaping, we recently redid ours with plants that require less water. It’s not quite xeriscaped but it’s much more environmentally friendly.

The fact that the minute you re-decorate/remodel your home is instantly outdated! Hate the gray trend, and if I hear "open concept" one more time.... I also can't stand the bright white kitchen. Looks like a sterile operating room. Another peeve: every child needs their own bedroom and bathroom. Since when can't kids share a room? And who the heck wants to clean 5 or more bathrooms! My final... I live in a desert, yet our HOA *in its infinite wisdom) requires that we have a lawn! Then we have restrictions on watering, it's so dumb! then they turn around and send flyers about zeroscaping but! it's not allowed per the HOA. What the heck!

I don't know what to say! :oops::D

I dislike the shower only trend. I love my big bathtub with a separate shower. We have been looking at houses and our agent said, “this next house is great. It only have showers!” I told her to next show us one like that again unless she knows we can easily put in a tub. I know there are folks who think baths are gross, so go ahead and blast me. :duck:

I also can’t stand it when the wood trim in old houses has been painted. I like the original wood trim, crown molding, chair rails, windows, and railings.

I hear you on the bathtub issue. The newer homes around here are doing a sort of hybrid. A GIANT deep soaking tub with a floating glass enclosure, so you get the best of both worlds. It's what our master bathroom has and I love it! It's so much easier to clean than a shower stall. I HATE shower stalls. And when needed, we can use the tub.

Everything's gray. Some friends of mine just built a new house. Everything, all the options for the building materials were gray. They got to choose between light gray, medium gray and dark gray. So now what should be a pretty house has gray tile, gray carpet, gray washed wood floors, gray paint, gray cabinets. Literally looks like a haunted house....

And then almost everything upholstered is gray these days. Good luck finding an actual color..... I want a new chair for my home office - two choices - dove or charcoal. 😡

I'm the same way about gray. I know it's the new neutral, but I don't like the look of it. It might because I worked as an RN and everything was white or gray (most of the gray being the stainless steel everywhere in hospitals and medical buildings). So, I guess stainless steel is another one I definitely don't like.
I've been around a long time and seen lots of different styles, colors come and go. This one will be gone soon.
Also, I read somewhere that drapes, curtains (even the gauzy white ones) are back in now? Not sure if that is true now that I have mostly blinds and valances, LOL.

I wouldn't know trendy if it bit me. LOL I love everything light and white and bright. I can't stand too much dark wood or dark kitchens. I do have some dark antiques that look fabulous with the white in our house.

Can't stand the new houses with the strange useless room that is part of the master suite. I toured a couple of houses in a new subdivision across from us (hate that subdivision. I want the trees back!) The houses had a master suite with a strange useless room and then the next bedroom would be the size of a closet. I asked the realtor of one of them why? Just why didn't they take that space and use it as space for the next bedroom because that tiny bedroom made that room useless too. He didn't know.

Microwaves above the stove. I would get burned if I was cooking and trying to microwave at the same time which I do often. And I wouldn't be able to see in the microwave.

And painted brick or painted stonework- I love original brick and stonework. Our previous house had the coolest real stonework fireplace area and the people who bought the house from us painted it white. Made me sad when I found that out.

. I live in a desert, yet our HOA *in its infinite wisdom) requires that we have a lawn! Then we have restrictions on watering, it's so dumb! then they turn around and send flyers about zeroscaping but! it's not allowed per the HOA. What the heck!
I'm in California and during the last drought that issue came up and they changed the law. HOA rules don't apply anymore, you are free to put in drought resistant landscaping, although may case people just put in astroturf.

After reading all 10 pages, I have one that no one has mentioned! (not a light bulb mentioned, LOL)
I don't like the trend of all wood floors. When we moved into our house it had laminated wood floors and they scratched up if you walked across in socks. I hated them.
So, we got rid of the laminate floors and put in a nice plush comfy carpet. We love it. It doesn't get "dirty" as we clean it regularly and vacuum alot. I much prefer rich carpeting to wood floors any day. I think they look sterile and cold. But my opinion is not a popular one about wooden floors. Honestly, whatever makes you happy is good:)

After reading all 10 pages, I have one that no one has mentioned! (not a light bulb mentioned, LOL)
I don't like the trend of all wood floors. When we moved into our house it had laminated wood floors and they scratched up if you walked across in socks. I hated them.
So, we got rid of the laminate floors and put in a nice plush comfy carpet. We love it. It doesn't get "dirty" as we clean it regularly and vacuum alot. I much prefer rich carpeting to wood floors any day. I think they look sterile and cold. But my opinion is not a popular one about wooden floors. Honestly, whatever makes you happy is good:)
We put in laminate floors almost 8 years ago, no scratches yet, even dragging furniture over them. We had carpet, regularly vacuumed and steam cleaned, but man, if you ever take out carpet you will never put it back in again. It was like a beach with all the fine grit under the carpet and pad, stains, and gross stuff. No wonder allergists suggest not having carpet in a house.

We put in laminate floors almost 8 years ago, no scratches yet, even dragging furniture over them. We had carpet, regularly vacuumed and steam cleaned, but man, if you ever take out carpet you will never put it back in again. It was like a beach with all the fine grit under the carpet and pad, stains, and gross stuff. No wonder allergists suggest not having carpet in a house.

Our laminate , in all fairness, was put in long ago! It was the type that scarred with anything other than socks on it. It was horrible. I had to buff it with cleaner and buffer every week and it still looked like crap. So, I think it was the age of the laminate. I really don't like the look of all that wood for floors, but that's just me and I know I'm in the minority right now:)
I don't agree with the carpet statement. It is kept as clean as wood floors and is vacuumed frequently. . There's not much more you can or should do than that. It is also so comfy to walk on a cloud of rich soft carpet, :), and we live in a very cold climate so the warm soft carpet is great. No more cold laminate floors.
But it's different for everyone and there is no right or wrong answer.

I hear you on the bathtub issue. The newer homes around here are doing a sort of hybrid. A GIANT deep soaking tub with a floating glass enclosure, so you get the best of both worlds. It's what our master bathroom has and I love it! It's so much easier to clean than a shower stall. I HATE shower stalls. And when needed, we can use the tub.

We are adding a couple of bathrooms and bedrooms. I want each bathroom to have a separate walk in shower and a freestanding tub.

I'd like this for our master bathroom:

Our laminate , in all fairness, was put in long ago! It was the type that scarred with anything other than socks on it. It was horrible. I had to buff it with cleaner and buffer every week and it still looked like crap. So, I think it was the age of the laminate. I really don't like the look of all that wood for floors, but that's just me and I know I'm in the minority right now:)
I don't agree with the carpet statement. It is kept as clean as wood floors and is vacuumed frequently. . There's not much more you can or should do than that. It is also so comfy to walk on a cloud of rich soft carpet, :), and we live in a very cold climate so the warm soft carpet is great. No more cold laminate floors.
But it's different for everyone and there is no right or wrong answer.
Wait until you pull up that carpet. You will be horrified.

Last edited:
I personally agree. We've got LVP in all the areas where hard-flooring is practical - the kitchen, dining room, bathrooms and front foyer. The spaces I want to be warm, comfortable and inviting (living room and bedrooms) are carpeted and I wouldn't want it any other way.

It's definitely not in tune with current design trends though. Here, where 90+% of all new homes are two-stories, the entire main floor is always hardwood/LVP and carpet only in the upstairs bedrooms. Most of the staircases are hard-floored and I can see the practicality of that.

Over the past few years here in AZ, the hot trend on flooring is to install tile floors that look like wood. And you know what color of fake wood tile floors the most in model homes? GRAY! So gray fake wood tile flooring and gray walls. :rotfl:

And the tile flooring that looks like wood is pretty expensive.

Another housing trend I don't care for are subway tiles used as a back splash. If I wanted to live in a subway, I would. But I don't want to pay extra for my kitchen to look like a subway station.

We have a giant soaker tub, no heater, no jets. i have to climb into the darn thing to clean it! My tiny t-Rex arms just don’t reach!

I love an attached garage. Have had one with all the houses DH and I have lived in.
Easy to walk in with groceries, grand kids and to load things in to take places. I don't want to have to take groceries in from the driveway when it is raining or 115 degrees.
Detached at one house as a child. Didn't like it.

I LOVE an attached garage. Our first house which we ended up living in FAR FAR longer than planned, had a detached garage. In Michigan. It was horrible. We moved four years ago into a much nicer house all around but with an attached garage. It is a dream to not have to deal with the cold/snow/ice/rain etc just to get to your car, to bring in groceries etc.

Hate the whole Farmhouse look. Shiplap, barn doors, etc. White with black trim inside the house for the farmhouse look. I agree about those ding dong signs too... Live Love Laugh... Wash.... Eggs.... Eat....Wine....Coffee....Wash your Hands... etc. - all dumb!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter