How are December fast passes going?

"SDMT not being available at all on the Tuesday definitely threw me for a bit of a loop."

Same here. I thought I'd just get a bad time but couldn't believe there were none.

See!! I KNEW it. I am totally expecting this when I book Saturday morning. Both of my MK days are party days. Ugh - between ADR's and this I am just in shock. I can't have BOG for LUNCH or ride 7DMT with a FP? Booking online at the earliest possible moment? REALLY?

I’m in the same boat. This is our first December going and maybe our last. Never had issues in the summer with dining or fast pass. I’m wondering if these crowd calendars are very wrong and it’s goibg to be a mob scene.

This is pretty deflating...my window open Saturday. I guess I might just try to rework my plans to allow for rope drop:guilty:

Not to set off any panic buttons, but December FPs will get progressively more difficult over the next few weeks. It's no surprise that the Christmas - NYE week will be difficult, but the crowds steadily increase each week in December (see below). That means that people's ability to get FPs last week or this week for early December trips may not translate over to those of us going in mid-December (my FP window opens Tuesday morning). It may be apples and oranges.

As I posted in another thread on December crowds, the gradual increase in weekly crowds during December is evident from Disney's resort pricing dates (i.e., when Disney expects larger crowds). Here are the comparative rates this year:

Fall rates ($) - Nov 25 to Dec 9
Regular rates ($$) - Dec 10 to Dec 14
Peak rates ($$$) - Dec 15 to Dec 21
Holiday rates ($$$$$) - Dec 22 to Dec 31

The guests seeing some difficulty this week after other guests had an easier time last week? That's occurring right around the rate changeover date on Dec 10 when an increase in crowds are expected. Curious to see what happens early next week when the guests (like me) arriving around the Dec 15 changeover (and anticipated heavier crowds) start reserving FPs.

Consolation prize? It's an excellent time to start hunting ADRs as many guests will start to finalize their itineraries with FPs in place and drop ADRs that they may have been holding as "insurance".

I hit 60 days yesterday and had no issues getting all the fp I wanted. I got FOP on day 5 and day 7, and 7DMR on day 3. Granted, I'm only looking for a party of 2, so maybe that helped?

Not to set off any panic buttons, but December FPs will get progressively more difficult over the next few weeks. It's no surprise that the Christmas - NYE week will be difficult, but the crowds steadily increase each week in December (see below). That means that people's ability to get FPs last week or this week for early December trips may not translate over to those of us going in mid-December (my FP window opens Tuesday morning). It may be apples and oranges.

As I posted in another thread on December crowds, the gradual increase in weekly crowds during December is evident from Disney's resort pricing dates (i.e., when Disney expects larger crowds). Here are the comparative rates this year:

Fall rates ($) - Nov 25 to Dec 9
Regular rates ($$) - Dec 10 to Dec 14
Peak rates ($$$) - Dec 15 to Dec 21
Holiday rates ($$$$$) - Dec 22 to Dec 31

The guests seeing some difficulty this week after other guests had an easier time last week? That's occurring right around the rate changeover date on Dec 10 when an increase in crowds are expected. Curious to see what happens early next week when the guests (like me) arriving around the Dec 15 changeover (and anticipated heavier crowds) start reserving FPs.

Consolation prize? It's an excellent time to start hunting ADRs as many guests will start to finalize their itineraries with FPs in place and drop ADRs that they may have been holding as "insurance".

I hear you, but I think its more about parties and operating hours. I've been Easter week before and had zero issues with ADR's and FP's.

I agree with Gentry2004. I have been on Christmas Day before and never had any problems. The number of parties has really messed up the parks. They jam people into the hub for HEA on nonparty nights and they flood the other parks on party nights. Now the shortage of times available for fast passes is starting to show.

I hit 60 days yesterday and had no issues getting all the fp I wanted. I got FOP on day 5 and day 7, and 7DMR on day 3. Granted, I'm only looking for a party of 2, so maybe that helped?
I was only looking for a party of one today and couldn't get mine train or fop. Everything else was fine, just those two. The end of the week was a little better too.

I hear you, but I think its more about parties and operating hours. I've been Easter week before and had zero issues with ADR's and FP's.
Resorts have been booked up for early to mid December too but not Christmas week. It's not really known if it's a glitch in online booking or if everyone and their mama is coming this time of the year.

No argument from me that the operating hours and parties (which, really, are a form of reduced operating hours for MK vis a vis FP) are a major factor. I witnessed last month what HEA was like on a non-MNSSHP night and the crowd-shifting that the parties cause. It's all a bit of a perfect storm with a number of factors contributing - where we also can add that things like free dining, schools starting winter break more than a week before Christmas, and rescheduled trips due to Irma may be increasing the crowds and in turn the demand for a smaller pool of FPs.

But as I said, I'm not pressing any panic buttons. Most of this thread is about the headliners (FoP, 7DMT and FEA) that are not guarantees even during non-party times. My concern might increase if I start seeing people having trouble with the next tier of rides. Luckily, that doesn't seem to be the case.

This will be my 4th trip to WDW in the last 3 years and this trip is the only time I’ve had any trouble getting FP’s.

Hit the 60 day mark today and there were no FOP FP’s available. Couldn’t find anything in the morning for 7DMT or FEA. Earliest 7DMT I was able to get was 2:30, and the earliest FEA I was able to get was 7:45 pm.

Last edited:
Anyone see the availability of 7dmt for Sat Dec 16th? I'm thinking 7dmt is gonna be non existent for me on that day (2nd day of trip) now when I make my FP on Monday morning Now I'm just crossing my fingers for FOP on Day 5 of trip at anytime from mid lunch earlier. Starting to lose hope then too lol

This will be my 4th trip to WDW in the last 3 years and this trip is the only time I’ve had any trouble getting FP’s.

Hit the 60 day mark today and there were no FOP FP’s available. Couldn’t find anything in the morning for 7DMT or FEA. Earliest 7DMT I was able to get was 2:30, and the earliest FEA I was able to get was 7:45 pm.
I think with 7DMT you just take what you can get. I wouldn't wait long for that ride because I don't think it is impressive at all. We waited 2 hours last year and were confused why we waited that long. This year we rope dropped it and the only fun part was being second on the ride lol. I'll take Thunder Mountain over 7DMT any day.

Anyone see the availability of 7dmt for Sat Dec 16th? I'm thinking 7dmt is gonna be non existent for me on that day (2nd day of trip) now when I make my FP on Monday morning Now I'm just crossing my fingers for FOP on Day 5 of trip at anytime from mid lunch earlier. Starting to lose hope then too lol
I see lots, still availability in the morning. Only checked for 2 people though.

I see lots, still availability in the morning. Only checked for 2 people though.

Based upon the touring plans availability page, getting morning 7DMT on your second park day is highly highly unlikely. In fact, based upon my (non-scientific research) it seems you need to get to day 4/5 before you can reliably get morning time slots for FOP, FEA and 7DMT. I'm actually thinking I will not get my morning FP+ for 7DMT on my FOURTH day.

Based upon the touring plans availability page, getting morning 7DMT on your second park day is highly highly unlikely. In fact, based upon my (non-scientific research) it seems you need to get to day 4/5 before you can reliably get morning time slots for FOP, FEA and 7DMT. I'm actually thinking I will not get my morning FP+ for 7DMT on my FOURTH day.
I’ll probably take 7dmt at any time if it’s reasonable. Our MK day is 60+4.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. If you post your experiences, could you please specify what day you got each FP? For example, you got FoP on day 60+4 or whatever. It is really helpful to know you got “everything” or a certain ride, but only if we know on which day of your booking window. If your trip is 10days long and you got everything by skipping AK until day 6, those of us with shorter trips can’t tell how our bookings might be best done. Hope this makes sense and thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter