How are You Fighting Inflation?

Thought about a new truck but decided to save my money. 12-year old truck with 266,000 miles. I've spent $1,000 on repairs this year (about $145/month) but that sure beats a new $400-500/month car note.
Yeah, the purchase of a new or even used vehicle is not a good idea right now for sure. I'm hoping my car will last a few more years before I have to cut my income by "A LOT"!

We made adjustments at the beginning of the pandemic when I was furloughed twice a month for a year and have continued to watch what we spend. We pretty much do not eat out at all now - I would say we picked up fast food maybe 5-6 times over the past 3 years, and I don't really miss it. We just have zero desire to eat out or even get take out, when we can probably make it better and way cheaper from scratch.

The type of groceries we buy have pretty much stayed the same but I've started to look at ads more. We mainly shop Winco and Costco but their prices are going up as well. The closest grocery store to us has ridiculous prices on everything, but we've started to go there to stock up just on meat when it's on sale. I got a ton of ground beef around 4th of July when it was 2.99/lb and so we treat ourselves to it once a week. Otherwise, it's mostly chicken.

We're definitely watching the electricity usage now that we're on time-of-use rates in the summer. Keep the thermostat at 78, 80 if it's over 100 out just to lessen the burden on our a/c system. Winter it goes down to 68 and wear a sweater in the house. Only do laundry and charge various devices in the morning at off peak rates. Try to do the cooking before or after 5-8pm.

We are not cutting back on vacation - we've got a couple of trips planned over the next 6 months to Europe and Mexico. But we have always travelled on a budget - we're staying at a modest hotel (no AI, the local food is too good) for under $100/night in the winter (high season) in Mexico, for example. Price would be cut in half if we went in the summer but the heat and humidity are brutal so I suck it up and just build it into the budget.

We made adjustments at the beginning of the pandemic when I was furloughed twice a month for a year and have continued to watch what we spend. We pretty much do not eat out at all now - I would say we picked up fast food maybe 5-6 times over the past 3 years, and I don't really miss it. We just have zero desire to eat out or even get take out, when we can probably make it better and way cheaper from scratch.

The type of groceries we buy have pretty much stayed the same but I've started to look at ads more. We mainly shop Winco and Costco but their prices are going up as well. The closest grocery store to us has ridiculous prices on everything, but we've started to go there to stock up just on meat when it's on sale. I got a ton of ground beef around 4th of July when it was 2.99/lb and so we treat ourselves to it once a week. Otherwise, it's mostly chicken.

We're definitely watching the electricity usage now that we're on time-of-use rates in the summer. Keep the thermostat at 78, 80 if it's over 100 out just to lessen the burden on our a/c system. Winter it goes down to 68 and wear a sweater in the house. Only do laundry and charge various devices in the morning at off peak rates. Try to do the cooking before or after 5-8pm.

We are not cutting back on vacation - we've got a couple of trips planned over the next 6 months to Europe and Mexico. But we have always travelled on a budget - we're staying at a modest hotel (no AI, the local food is too good) for under $100/night in the winter (high season) in Mexico, for example. Price would be cut in half if we went in the summer but the heat and humidity are brutal so I suck it up and just build it into the budget.
I feel the same about vacationing. I cut back on lots of frivolous, I really don't need that, spending. I don't buy something if I think it's cute. But I'm still doing my Disney vacation. We are trying to be more strategic on our Disney meals and snacks. I think we may order some groceries for this trip. I've never done it before so this will be a new experience. I know we will at least order water for sure. My daughter and family went to Santa's village yesterday and they brought lunches. She was thinking of doing the same at Disney. Save some time and money bringing your own food and snacks. We are still thinking on it.

The other day I went in Lidi's. On the app, the butter was $3.31 vs walmart's $3.99. I go into store, it was $1.94. I looked for signs saying limit 2 .....nothing. I bought 6 pounds. Don't know what the deal was, but glad I saw it.

The other day I went in Lidi's. On the app, the butter was $3.31 vs walmart's $3.99. I go into store, it was $1.94. I looked for signs saying limit 2 .....nothing. I bought 6 pounds. Don't know what the deal was, but glad I saw it.
Sounds like you capitalized on a mistake. Congrats! :stitch:

We have a tall cabinet in our bathroom which is crammed full of half used/impulse bought 'stuff'. I've taken it all out and organised it. I'm pretty sure I won't need to buy make-up for at least 3 years, I'll just use up everything I have. I've also dug out all of the shampoos/conditioners and realised that I won't need any more for 18 months, same with bath/shower gel. Like an earlier poster, I've done the same with cleaning products. Who knew I had so much floor cleaner or bath tub cleaner?

We routinely bulk buy at Costco and keep it in our pantry. I shop at the same grocery store almost ever week and get some pretty good discounts. We also save our club card points. In the last 18 months I've amassed $700 worth which I'm saving for that rainy day.

I make use of my bread maker and we buy flour by the sack from Costco. A loaf costs about 50c as opposed to $1.20.

I've cut back on big brands. I buy one of something store brand to see if we like it and if no-one notices, I swap it out. Over here in the UK we have pretty decent 'own brand' goods and they have noticed very very few of my secret swaps. The exception is cereal. I can't get that one past my husband. lol. However one UK store often has a deal on his favourite muesli when I can get it for $2.40 instead of $3.60 so I head over and buy 20 boxes as he eats it most mornings.

For me, this is a good time to eat more healthy and yes, if you can believe it, more cheaply. So far, I find buying a large Quaker Oats and mixing it with my nut milk the night before and refrigerating overnight, makes a good, inexpensive breakfast. I add nuts and dried fruit. It's really good. I've also discovered Cabbage, LOL, and I steam that with onions and mix it with turkey burger. It stretches pretty far and is very, very tasty. Salad consists of: carrots, cuke, peppers and chickpeas, makes 4 containers of single serve salad. I add feta cheese, which I buy and freeze when it's on sale. It's a start anyway.

That does sound good
How much ground Turkey , cabbage /shredded/ onions ?
Steam the veg first and then cool to mix w/ raw Turkey to make Pattie’s or ?
Thanks

We increased the size of our garden 4x. Planning our meals around what is ripe. We had spaghetti squash for lunch several times last week with a side of cucumber/tomato salad. We are going to have a lot of tomatoes soon so will make pastas and salsas. I didn't have to buy any strawberries in May or June. Our garden provided plenty.

That does sound good
How much ground Turkey , cabbage /shredded/ onions ?
Steam the veg first and then cool to mix w/ raw Turkey to make Pattie’s or ?
Thanks
I cut up a whole cabbage and one onion. I cook it in a large skillet with a little water or chicken stock with my spices. I cover it and it steams the veges. Then I put those in a covered bowl, which I will later put in the fridge. Then fry the turkey burger and add it to the veges. You can eat it then and refrigerate the rest. It lasts me about 4 meals. Hope you love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter