How can I help my Grandfather?

penchris

Mouseketeer
My 84 yo Grandfather insists on going to Disneyland/DCA when I visit him in Feb. I am coming from Chicago with my 2 yo son. I only have 2 days to visit the parks (work related constraints...rats).

Grandpa recently has had two surgeries and chemo for colon cancer. I am worried that the trip with a toddler will be too much for him. He refuses to use a wheelchair. I heard there is a pass I can get for him to use the special access entrances when the lines get to be too much. The problem is I don't have any details, and don't really know who to ask. Getting a doctor's note will not be a problem, but I am not sure what specifically it needs to say.

I also have booked a room at the Disneyland Hotel to make it easier for us. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really feel stuck on this one. How many other people out there have experience doing Disney with a 2yo and a 84yo kid at heart? They both listen to reason equally well...LOL.

P.S. I have been to DL, WDW, and the Wonder in the past 18mo so there is no urge to "go Commando". Trip is definitely at Grandpa's request.

You are very lucky to still have your Grandpa & your two year old still has a great-grandpa. Since you don't need to go commando style, just go & enjoy & make new memories. I got a guest assistance card at Guest Services at the Disney Studios at WDW last month. I suspect you could start with Guest Services/Relations. Enjoy!

There are some good postings on this board about how to get a Guest Assistance Card. I can't make a link to them on this computer, but I will once I get home.
Keep in mind that even though Grandpa doesn't want to use a wheelchair, the distances to walk will be much greater than he can imagine. You might be able to get him to agree to rent an ecv (electric cart). They are rather expensive, but IMHO would be more useful to conserving his energy than the little bit of energy he would save by using a Guest Assistance Card. Many of the alternate entrances don't save that much walking.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

At Disneyland, unlike WDW, you go inside the park before you get the Special Assistance Pass, which is what they still call it in California. As you go into Town Square, you will ask a CM where to find the Town Hall. It is a crowded little room, up some steps but there is an access ramp to the side as I recall. Just let them know you are travelling with a fragile elderly gentleman, and they will be glad to give you a pass.

Sometimes you can convince a person to use a wheelchair if you make it sound like it is for Your convenience rather than for their need. Various excuses that seemed to work for my family included that we needed a place to hang the backpack so I wouldn't strain my shoulder (never mind what pushing the wheelchair was doing to my hands!), that this would give us a place to sit so my son could sit on grandma's lap during the parade (back when he was small), that this would make it possible for us to go very fast across long distances so we could make it to a dinner reservation without having to stop and rest too many times. On the other hand, I have met a few 84 year olds who can outlast me during the day...

I would get the SAP, with or without wheelchair.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter